What happen if I dont pay rent?

Easyliving

When people don't pay the rent, the police should help the landlord evict them.

With court order

I'm sorry but what you're saying MIGHT be true in theory - but in fact I doubt it.

In any case it's irrelevant in this case. In my direct experience, landlords can act with impunity against tenants and aren't afraid of any consequences at all, least of all from legal authorities.

Let's face it the foreign tenant with no money is absolutely no threat, hasn't the resources to pursue anything.

In the case of a tenant with connections and money - maybe they could drag things out for a month or two.

But how many foreigners in the position of defaulting on their room rental have money and connections?

I'm telling you gangs of thugs showing up and inflicting grievous bodily harm is not an uncommon situation - and pray tell how this would be traced back to the landlord?

And a stop order at immigration to prevent the deadbeat from leaving the country is also very possible, just that most landlords don't know that, or don't bother.

I'll repeat my advice, be honest with the landlord, honestly let them know your situation, be sincere about your determination to make things right, and do the best you can to follow through.

Most aren't evil thugs and if approached in this way you may well be surprised how much grace and mercy they will exhibit in working things out with you.

Also wrt the embassy - if USA - they do have the ability to repatriate you, but it will be a FIRST-CLASS ticket home and the debt will both carry interest and be classed like a tax debt that can't be erased via bankruptcy. And even then it is at their discretion and most likely depends on whether or not they've got any left in that fund this fiscal year.

I would think in a country like Thailand they would only grant this if the situation were truly accidental, not due to silly choices.

In practice is no different.

Naturally every landlord thinks he is in the right and takes his own actions, ONLY to find himself in trouble.

Naturally i do not blame them, but in this case, unless i missed it, OP never mentioned the reasons for not wanting to pay rent.may well be a very good reason.

What happen if I dont pay rent?

Well... what REALLY do you want the landlord to do?

Just say, OK my luv, you stay in my house free forever?

Do you have a house for rent? Would luv to live there.

Edit

on rent

Edited by ravip

In practice is no different.

Naturally every landlord thinks he is in the right and takes his own actions, ONLY to find himself in trouble.

Naturally i do not blame them, but in this case, unless i missed it, OP never mentioned the reasons for not wanting to pay rent.may well be a very good reason.

Yes if it's part of a legal dispute, and the tenant has plenty of money to throw away and/or good local connections then I agree some elements of the formal legal system may be relevant.

Such a tenant in that situation wouldn't be posting for advice here.

And I'm also disputing your assertion that a landlord even in theory requires a court order to evict a tenant for non-payment of rent, I just don't believe that.

And I'm also disputing that in practice a Thai landlord would get into any sort of trouble for changing the locks or removing the door and tossing a foreign-tenant-in-arrears' stuff out into the street.

Chris, if u r in trouble call ur embassy. They usually have a 24 hour helpline with access to help and advice. Hard to know ur situation from ur post.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, contact the Embassy's I-can't-pay-my-rent department, usually listed near the Embassy's department that assists in making restaurant reservations and theater bookings.

They'll tell you to contact family, use a credit card, have your bank at home make a transfer, etc. The US embassy does have a service if none of those is available. They charge $30 if someone at home sends them some money to hand over to you.

Why are so many Westerners homeless in Thailand?

A growing number of Europeans and Americans are living homeless in alleyways and on white sandy beaches in tropical Thailand, say charities in the country, with foreign embassies accused of failing to help their own nationals when they get into trouble.

“Many times I speak to embassies and they say that they can’t do anything,” says Lt-Col Vasu.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/why-are-so-many-westerners-homeless-in-thailand-8830302.html

Majority of 'immigrants' are people who have a tough life in their own countries and dream that a 3rd world country would be their utopia.

It will NOT work.

Especially, arriving with a tidy sum the 'immigrant' lives a high life with the nose up to the locals. Once he/she runs out of that initial capital, then they look for landlords who are exceptionally 'law abiding' and hmmmmmm good.

Edited by ravip

you can and will be evicted if you refuse to move out after a judgment of the court. you could also be ejected. i saw it once near where i live. just like in the West. a group of police including a foreign tourist police officer translating and speaking with the farang were conducting the eviction. a locksmith was present. the foreign tourist police warned of ejection. eventually the tenant surrendered possession. some dudes arrived and put all the guys property out on the street.

theres an evil property owner in phuket who throws out the tenants even when they do pay the rent .

he wants bigger management fees and more tenants to cough up then throw them out as well .

he uses acid a lot .

tenants of the condo have complained of him to the cops to no avail

Okay, so by now you should know you are in deep shit.

Know that if you don't pay you WILL leave. The odds of you remaining healthy decrease significantly the longer you don't pay and the more you owe. You could be physically harmed, your stuff could be physically harmed, your visitors, friends and their families may suffer or you could just be deported and banned from returning forever.

So what if you CAN'T pay?

If you can't pay your rent you will not see 1 penny of that deposit, which I'll assume you NEEDED to get home, or eat, etc.

So... here's some advice that might help:

Talk to your landlord ASAP - see if you can work with him/her to get another tenant to replace you.

Time it so you move out and they immediately move in. Be flexible and willing to bend to the new tenants schedule.

You may be able to negotiate a return of part, or even all, of your deposit and walk away in one piece.