any sign new vigo toymotor shape?

why change a design that every one has seemed to copy.. heheh

Yeah the new Ranger/D-Max/Colorado/BT-50 sure do share an uncanny resemblance to a vigo........ NOT.

The new Ford on the road is very similar to the eye to a Toyota. Why do you think that is ?

Easy really.

Lets face it, external styling differences between Ranger, Hilux, Dmax, Colorado and the Navara are minor, there is only some much you can do with pickup design.  The BT50 and Triton manage to look different, but I wouldn't say better than their boxy competitors.    

Yeah the new Ranger/D-Max/Colorado/BT-50 sure do share an uncanny resemblance to a vigo........ NOT.

The new Ford on the road is very similar to the eye to a Toyota. Why do you think that is ?

Easy really.

Yes very easy.

You need to clean your glasses.
  • Like 2

Easy really.

Yes very easy.

You need to clean your glasses.

Weeeeeeell, if the similarities "on the road" are not there for your eye, sorry. To me Ford has actually sat down and thought how can we produce a ride to compete with the best selling truck ever (in LOS), the Vigo, and deal with their crap name in LOS.

They made it look a bit like a Vigo for starters. The Mazda took a different approach and fixed a big Thai smile on the front for all to see, not sure if the latter will work though. whistling.gif .............smile.png 

using the thai demographic (the same demographic that watches soap operas every night and muay thai on sat afternoons on tv) and their preferred choice the vigo is hardly a ringing endorsement lol 

The Wildtrak in particular looks like no vigo i have ever seen. The XLT model looks like all other trucks for the most part - but trucks don't really change that much in terms of appearance while still being truck.

using the thai demographic (the same demographic that watches soap operas every night and muay thai on sat afternoons on tv) and their preferred choice the vigo is hardly a ringing endorsement lol 

The Wildtrak in particular looks like no vigo i have ever seen. The XLT model looks like all other trucks for the most part - but trucks don't really change that much in terms of appearance while still being truck.

Thai folk buy Toyota or Isuzu for the resale value, as other makes lose more cash. BUT, whether that is the case knower days might be different. Where I am there are loads of new Ford trucks, perhaps the financial deals are better, I don't know, for sure the locals are not buying with reliability at the fore cos nobody knows about that yet, cos the new stuff hasn't been around very long. whistling.gif

• Like 1

TA, if you are having trouble telling them apart see if you can spot the Toyota below. 

Notice how the F150 looks similar to the Hilux, even though it was sold years before.  

Edited by Jitar

for sure the locals are not buying with reliability at the fore cos nobody knows about that yet, cos the new stuff hasn't been around very long. whistling.gif

Sure, and when the new Toyota comes you'll claim that people are buying reliability, since Toyota has a proven trackrecord over the years.

for sure the locals are not buying with reliability at the fore cos nobody knows about that yet, cos the new stuff hasn't been around very long. whistling.gif

Sure, and when the new Toyota comes you'll claim that people are buying reliability, since Toyota has a proven trackrecord over the years.

Absolutely, hopefully the proven truck reliability will continue.  thumbsup.gif

keep it up toyota.. you were 7 years ahead of the others.. heheh.. i didnt say they are the same. all i said was they all seem to look like a hilux.. but of course that would be for the untrained eyes.. for those who are here on this forum.. my bad.. i know you all have very keen eyes and can see at once the differences..  peace to all.. 

I saw a first Vigo10 years ago and must say it looked different...then my last model Tiger,but now,10 years later...hmmm....I hope that the 'new' model will knock the competition down,with something really innovative and stunning...

...by that time,I should be ready for a new truck,I guess.smile.png

From certain angles the Ranger definitely resembles the Hilux.. Ford has definitely caught up with the new Ranger but does not beat the Hilux by leaps and bounds as it should have.. If taking reliability, spare parts, after sales service and of course expected resale value into account, then Ford is at least 15 years behind Toyota (in LOS that is)

Had an interesting discussion with a guy high up on the hierarchical (Thai / Japanese) automotive ladder the other day and asked him why the Japanese can establish in Thailand what Ford (or any other non Japanese brand for that matter) can't.

Basically the Japanese car manufacturers only came to Thailand after their (Japanese) part suppliers set up local production in LOS. These companies are very loyal to big 4 Japanese.

The Japanese also have lots and lots of patience with the local Thai work force and are culturally much closer to Thailand than US / EU manufacturers.

Last but not least, the Japanese absolutely Love everything Thai, the weather, food, golf, girls, cost of living etc. They can speak Thai and thousands of Thai students with a technical background, are studying in Japan and speak fluent Japanese when they come return home.

I thought this was an interesting observation and might be one of the reasons why a company like for instance Ford, is and probably always will be playing catch up in Thailand..
  • Like 1

You can only do so much with a Truck looks wise. I think they get more ugly each year......   Bloated W.C Fields Nose look of todays offerings are  ugly to me. Does anyone think a Retro,say a 1960 Chevy / Dodge look would catch on .?.

• Like 1

The thing is whether we like it or not, the Vigo is a very good pick up that does everything required of it. Toyota are milking it for as long as they can and most manufacturers can only dream of having product like that.

However, if the Ranger/BT50 and Colorado/Isuzu had been complete game changers in this segment, Toyota probably would have brought the new Vigo forward. Instead they have the luxury of a bit more time. 

But as has been mentioned before, there is only so much you can do with a truck.

I bet they're having a real close look at Ford's new F150 for ideas.

Edited by Woodsie888
  • Like 2

You can only do so much with a Truck looks wise. I think they get more ugly each year......   Bloated W.C Fields Nose look of todays offerings are  ugly to me. Does anyone think a Retro,say a 1960 Chevy / Dodge look would catch on .?.

I'm not a pickup buyer, but I'd buy a well-implemented modern retro looking pickup - the strategy works well for the Mini, Beetle, Fiat 500, PT Cruiser etc..

I'm not a pickup buyer, but I'd buy a well-implemented modern retro looking pickup - the strategy works well for the Mini, Beetle, Fiat 500, PT Cruiser etc..

I agree, it'd be nice if done properly (i.e. better than the PT Cruiser).

Up her in Phetch, Local dealer offering 0% finance deals on Vigo and Vios, wanting to get rid of old stock, new Vigo on the way?.

Perhaps trade my non Champ for Champ.

Toyota (and everyone else) have been doing deals like this for almost a year, since the car market tanked - it shouldn't be taken as a sign of an impending release.

Strategically, it makes no sense for Toyota to release a new model now, as trade-in values are at all-time lows, and new cars only sell if given away.

However, most industry people are predicting the current buyer's market conditions will begin easing towards the latter half of this year, so these sorts of deals (and cheap used car prices) will slowly start going back to normal.

Edited by IMHO

• 2 months later...

I do and i think (from pictures I've seen by typing into google 'the new vigo toyota pick-up') the new vigo (called something else) will resemble an old Dodge at least at the front; that square , macho look. I believe Toyota make a bigger pick-up for the USA market with this kind of look.

I do and i think (from pictures I've seen by typing into google 'the new vigo toyota pick-up') the new vigo (called something else) will resemble an old Dodge at least at the front; that square , macho look. I believe Toyota make a bigger pick-up for the USA market with this kind of look.

The US market has the Tacoma (bigger than a Hilux, but looking like a modernized version of the Tiger):

2005_toyota_tacoma-pic-41507.jpeg

and the Tundra (full size pickup):

2014-Toyota-Tundra-3.jpg

perhaps you are thinking of this version? 

paper-tundra-4.jpg

:P

Edited by IMHO

• 2 months later...

The US market has the Tacoma (bigger than a Hilux, but looking like a modernized version of the Tiger):

2005_toyota_tacoma-pic-41507.jpeg

and the Tundra (full size pickup):

2014-Toyota-Tundra-3.jpg

perhaps you are thinking of this version? 

paper-tundra-4.jpg

tongue.png

Today I passed a Tundra with red license plates in Pattaya, exactly as in the picture but white color.

If you google Toyota Tundra Thailand, you will get plenty of Thai forums with pictures of the Tundra in Thailand.

Absolutely, hopefully the proven truck reliability will continue.  thumbsup.gif

Although reliability isn't an issue, I think it it is the sheer volume of dealerships and probably many overlapping purchasing incentives for the locals that continues to give the Vigo the edge in the p/u market. In the mold of "If it isn't broken..." and the fact that Thailand is a major market for the Vigo/Fortuner family, I would think Toyota are constantly working on the 'new' model and it will be announced as soon as the head office in Japan detects a definite loss of market share DESPITE the dealer incentives in Thailand. That would indicate that Somchai is finally bored or got more money and that [insert other marque of choice] that just overtook him is beginning to look better.

Although some of us lub our Rangers as much as some other lub their Vigo's, the former was never intended to be a huge Thai market player. Designed in Australia for their local and other, larger international markets. Just because it is manufactured here doesn't equate with who the target buyer is. I think it was pretty much agreed on other Ranger topics that Ford were maybe surprised by the local demand but it didn't make them change their tactics and people still waited for over a year for certain models. I wonder if Mazda were equally surprised that their 'smiling dolphin' took off like a bottle rocket in LOS?

Today I passed a Tundra with red license plates in Pattaya, exactly as in the picture but white color.

If you google Toyota Tundra Thailand, you will get plenty of Thai forums with pictures of the Tundra in Thailand.

Yes, Tundra's are frequent visitors from Laos every weekend in Udon Thani, along with Ford Raptors.

But just like the one in Pattaya, they still all have the steering wheel on the wrong bloody side.