Looking for ATM which dispenses 40K per pull (or more)

tropo

Now that my regular AEON ATM no longer dispenses 40K per grab AND they now charge 150 per pull, I'm looking for another 40K ATM if one exists in Pattaya.

Are there any in Pattaya?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yellow is 30K, not 40 I know but better than 20. But if you go into the bank branch you can get whatever you want and not pay anything.

He's looking for a Thai bank ATM that will withdraw money from his farang bank account, then convert it to baht, and then dispense it to him free of charge. Doing this at a teller would involve a fee as well but at least just once per transaction. Why these blokes don't just open Thai bank accounts I will never understand.

Yellow is 30K, not 40 I know but better than 20. But if you go into the bank branch you can get whatever you want and not pay anything.

He's looking for a Thai bank ATM that will withdraw money from his farang bank account, then convert it to baht, and then dispense it to him free of charge. Doing this at a teller would involve a fee as well but at least just once per transaction. Why these blokes don't just open Thai bank accounts I will never understand.

This bloke does own a Thai bank account which he uses everyday. This bloke also organizes bank wires to his Thai bank account, however, without going into personal details, I have a necessity for high pull ATM in a situation where using a Thai bank account for a bank wire in would cost me $50. Have you ever heard of Paxum or Payoneer pre-paid MasterCards? They charge $50 for a bank wire compared to $2 for an ATM withdrawal. Which would you rather pay?

I'm always looking for the cheapest way. I don't like wasting money.

I take the money out via ATM and stick it in my Thai bank account. I'll have to explore the possibility of doing this inside the bank.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. That's good to know. A lot better than 20 if I can't find 40.

Cheers

I take the money out via ATM and stick it in my Thai bank account. I'll have to explore the possibility of doing this inside the bank.

Well put, Tropo...

On this subject, you should read the main thread on AEON beginning to charge the 150 baht ATM fee. There is a variety of info in there on how best to navigate in the wake of AEON's demise.

But specifically on your question, I believe we've confirmed that ATMs belonging to Thai Military Bank, Bank of Ayudhya and CIMB will all dispense up to 30K per transaction. I don't know of any ATMs that will go larger than that, at this point. But if you're going that route, you'll still paying the 150 or 180 baht Thai ATM withdrawal fee, unless you have an account that reimburses you for those.

Also be aware, that Bank of Ayudhya ATMs do charge the higher 180 baht withdrawal fee when MasterCards are used. I'm not sure about how TMB and CIMB handle MasterCards in terms of fees.

The alternative way to handle withdrawals without paying the 150/180 baht ATM fee is to try to do a so-called counter withdrawal using your debit card inside a Thai bank branch. Those have no fee at present, at least on the Thai end. But you should also check your home country card to make sure IT doesn't charge any counter withdrawal fees, because some are starting to add that.

People seem to have better luck with counter withdrawals when requesting amounts larger than what that same bank's ATMs will dispense. (Otherwise, some branches will just tell customers to use their ATMs instead and refuse to do the counter withdrawal). Of course, you won't be able to withdraw more than what your card's daily limit allows. Also, for counter withdrawals, you'll typically need to bring and present your original passport in order for them to do the transaction.

Lastly, in that other thread, we've come up with another method of avoiding all fees entirely and that's doing counter withdrawals/cash advances with a select number of U.S. credit cards that charge no foreign currency fee and no cash advance fee. Pentagon Federal Credit Union and State Department FCU among those. In that case, you use the credit card to do the counter withdrawal/cash advance, go home, and then use online banking to pay back the money into your credit card account. No fees, no interest.

But please note, that ONLY works if the credit card you're using has NO foreign currency fee and NO cash advance fee. Those are rare birds among credit cards, but there are at least a few out there so equipped.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703641-aeon-bank-now-charge-150-b-atm-fee/page-23#entry7526534

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Well put, Tropo...

On this subject, you should read the main thread on AEON beginning to charge the 150 baht ATM fee. There is a variety of info in there on how best to navigate in the wake of AEON's demise.

But specifically on your question, I believe we've confirmed that ATMs belonging to Thai Military Bank, Bank of Ayudhya and CIMB will all dispense up to 30K per transaction. I don't know of any ATMs that will go larger than that, at this point. But if you're going that route, you'll still paying the 150 or 180 baht Thai ATM withdrawal fee, unless you have an account that reimburses you for those.

Also be aware, that Bank of Ayudhya ATMs do charge the higher 180 baht withdrawal fee when MasterCards are used. I'm not sure about how TMB and CIMB handle MasterCards in terms of fees.

The alternative way to handle withdrawals without paying the 150/180 baht ATM fee is to try to do a so-called counter withdrawal using your debit card inside a Thai bank branch. Those have no fee at present, at least on the Thai end. But you should also check your home country card to make sure IT doesn't charge any counter withdrawal fees, because some are starting to add that.

People seem to have better luck with counter withdrawals when requesting amounts larger than what that same bank's ATMs will dispense. (Otherwise, some branches will just tell customers to use their ATMs instead and refuse to do the counter withdrawal). Of course, you won't be able to withdraw more than what your card's daily limit allows. Also, for counter withdrawals, you'll typically need to bring and present your original passport in order for them to do the transaction.

Lastly, in that other thread, we've come up with another method of avoiding all fees entirely and that's doing counter withdrawals/cash advances with a select number of U.S. credit cards that charge no foreign currency fee and no cash advance fee. Pentagon Federal Credit Union and State Department FCU among those. In that case, you use the credit card to do the counter withdrawal/cash advance, go home, and then use online banking to pay back the money into your credit card account. No fees, no interest.

But please note, that ONLY works if the credit card you're using has NO foreign currency fee and NO cash advance fee. Those are rare birds among credit cards, but there are at least a few out there so equipped.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703641-aeon-bank-now-charge-150-b-atm-fee/page-23#entry7526534

Thanks for the info. The reason why I'm asking around if there are 40K ATM's is to cut the costs down. Up until recently I have been using the no-fee AEON machines. I'm aware that I will have to pay a 150/180 baht fee.

Would you believe I actually asked that question on the AEON thread, but there were no replies - that's why I started my own thread.

Probably because, at this point, no one knows of any 40K ATMs in Thailand. AEONs used to be, but before they began charging the 150 baht withdrawal fee, as you know, they also reduced their per withdrawal amount to a maximum 20K. Double killer.

Try the counter withdrawal method with your debit card. You might find you're able to pull 40K (or whatever your card allows) and avoid the ATM fees as well.

Good question, if anyone knows a machine with a 40k pull please share. The CIMB and TMB in front of VT2 have 30k pulls so that helps a little. SCB is now charging 180 baht on Visa atm pulls, same as a Cirrus card.

It's been a while but from memory the UOB atm up in Naklua (at the UOB Bank) does 40k in one pull.

But is it fee free? We're talking the Tony's B8000 life-time membership crowd here!

Most probably not fee free but that was not the question raised by the OP.

OMG is just trolling... No need to feed the trolls.

No, I'm trying to find the op a way to save $5 when he transfers $1300 halfway round the world at the push of a botton. I mean, that's a whole .0038 percent charge on the funds transferred and highway robbery in anyone's book!

It's been a while but from memory the UOB atm up in Naklua (at the UOB Bank) does 40k in one pull.

But is it fee free? We're talking the Tony's B8000 life-time membership crowd here!

LOL. I was just considering a 35k membership fee. Read the Tony's thread.

But yes, I understand there's no longer any free machines, so I'm looking at minimizing the damage.

150/180 can buy you a decent meal - why give it to the bank if you don't have to? It can also fill up my motorbike with petrol for a couple of weeks. I'll be pulling out money at least once a month if not more often.

I used to ride across town to use the AEON ATMs, I'm happy to do the same if there's a 40k machine somewhere.

Edited by tropo

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem with TMB. Twice in different months I withdrew 20,000 baht from TMB ATMs at Fortune Town, BKK. The money was withdrawn from my Canadian bank but never dispensed. The process of reclaiming is to call my bank back home and within a few hours, my account is re-credited with amount. That advice came from TMB help line. So I will never use TMB ATMs again.

Those kinds of problems are usually related to some problem with the specific ATM hardware -- not representative of the bank's entire system.

So it's probably best to avoid re-using that particular ATM for some time, but probably unnecessary to avoid TMB ATMs altogether.

OMG is just trolling... No need to feed the trolls.

No, I'm trying to find the op a way to save $5 when he transfers $1300 halfway round the world at the push of a botton. I mean, that's a whole .0038 percent charge on the funds transferred and highway robbery in anyone's book!

It's 0.38%. People always pull out the percentage bs to make things seem trivial or exaggerate things.

Here's another way to look at it. The 0.38% you speak of is 2 days of slaving away on a rice farm or sugar cane plantation in the Philippines.

Or even better, it's about 190 million dollars (percentage of net worth) for Bill Gates..

Edited by tropo

If a person is doing just one 150/180 baht ATM withdrawal per month, that's approx. $60 per year -- enough to pay for a year's subscription to a good VPN provider.

If a person is doing two ATM pulls per month, that's approx. $120 a year -- enough to pay for a full year's subscription to Netscape or Amazon Prime Instant Video with some left over.

So, would you rather be giving your money to the Thai banks, or saving the bucks to do something useful/pleasant for yourself... I'm happy to keep the money for myself, thank you!

• Like 1

If a person is doing just one 150/180 baht ATM withdrawal per month, that's approx. $60 per year -- enough to pay for a year's subscription to a good VPN provider.

If a person is doing two ATM pulls per month, that's approx. $120 a year -- enough to pay for a full year's subscription to Netscape or Amazon Prime Instant Video with some left over.

So, would you rather be giving your money to the Thai banks, or saving the bucks to do something useful/pleasant for yourself... I'm happy to keep the money for myself, thank you!

Well good luck with that.

Interesting you should mention it because I have a VPN subscription.biggrin.png

Recently found out that SCB will at smaller branches let you take out up to 200,000b at a time over the counter.

At bigger branches this increases to 250,000b this using a uk debit card. Decent exchange rate as well and the best bit no charges thai end or uk end on my card.

Several Kasikorn branches say 20,000b only even though I got 80k from one branch.I don't think kasikorn staff even know their own in house rules.

SCB did not want to do 20k over the counter and pointed me to the machines so I don't know what their minimium counter amount would be.Could well be worth checking out.

Be careful about using Siam Commercial for counter withdrawals.

If you look at their Exchange Rates page, you'll see they have a special, LOW exchange rate specifically for credit card cash advances -- much lower than their regular cash exchange rates.

It's not clear that that same low rate doesn't also apply to debit card cash advances with them.

That's one of the potential reasons SCB may be willing to do much larger counter withdrawals than other banks.

BTW, what UK debit card charges no fees for cash advances in a foreign country? It's hard enough to find any UK bank cards that don't charge foreign currency fees period, much less ones that also charge no cash advance fees.

40'000 a pull? OP should not spread it around among Farang/Thai Friends, including GF. Otherwise he he will a will sooner or later appear in "Pattaya-News".

As I gather, there are still Farangs, strolling along Beach-Road at 2 AM, wearing a heavy gold-chain around their neck. Same!

Cheers.

40'000 a pull? OP should not spread it around among Farang/Thai Friends, including GF. Otherwise he he will a will sooner or later appear in "Pattaya-News".

As I gather, there are still Farangs, strolling along Beach-Road at 2 AM, wearing a heavy gold-chain around their neck. Same!

Cheers.

Yeah, I used to pull 40k twice from the AEON machine, and then go walking down the beach at 2AM.

Cheers

I agree but I had no charges applied when I checked my online account.I was surprised. Rate was better than what was showing on their display in the bank and not far from the better exchanges.

Sorry, you don't seem to have answered my question above...

Just what UK bank is it that you think charges no foreign currency fee and no cash advance fee on debit card transactions done in foreign countries?

AFAIK, the list right now for UK institutions like that is VERY small...

Something like this???

Nationwide Flex Plus - has a £10 monthly fee (cheaper than HSBC) - loads of benefits BUT pays 3% interest on £2500 so after tax this account ends up costing you £5 a month - completely free overseas withdrawals - plus its a VISA so no 180 baht charge like MC (at the moment) - £250 daily limit

This above is what another TV member posted some time back...

When I look at the Nationwide website re using the FlexPlus debit card abroad, I see them disclosing a 2% foreign currency fee on foreign purchases, but no Nationwide fee for foreign cash advances or ATM withdrawals. Although the cardholder is paying 10 pounds a month for the privilege.

The other Nationwide debit cards appear to have a 2% fee plus 1 pound fee for foreign cash withdrawals.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/going-abroad/fees-charges#xtab:fees

All in all, FlexPlus appears to be one of the few UK bank debit cards that doesn't go overboard on foreign transaction fees.

Only have the standard Nationwide Flex cards.

Have 4 going back to the good old days of No Charges at all on foreign Atm withdrawls and some of the best exchange rates. Nationwide were the uk industries cheapest card for Thai use then.

Machines used to eat a card occasionally hence the four flex accounts. Saved lots of problems on my usual 6 month stays.

Transfer funds to thai bank account my prefered method now,plus bring in cash to exchange.