Poppy Seeds Legal?

Konini

I ran out of poppy seeds late last year and haven't been able to find them anywhere. The last lot I got were in a normal spice jar from one of the supermarkets (can't remember the brand, but not a label I remember from Australia or England, where I get things I can't get here. In one smaller shop which stocks various herbs and spices, I was told they are illegal in Thailand, which I though was an odd thing to say.

I'm in Malaysia at the moment where it is plentiful and very cheap Indian shops, but don't want to bring it back if there's a chance of trouble. I asked my mate Google, but he only tells me it's illegal in the Gulf countries - there's something on aN expat forum saying someone went to jail in UAE for having poppy seeds amongst crumbs from a pastry eaten at Heathrow on their clothing. Someone told me this morning that they are illegal in Singapore, but that's as much as I can find out.

Does anyone know the current situation in Thailand? I've only seen loose seeds so far, no spice jats or packets with labels so I daren't risk hiding them amongst my dirty clothes as there will be a detectable smell coming from the bag.

Alternatively, is there anywhere I can get them in Thailand; definitely none to be found in Chiang Mai, but postage is cheap enough. Small niggling thing, but there are some things that just don't taste the same without them (I've been using and experimenting with other seeds for a few months).

I met a guy when I first came to Thailand who claimed to have been arrested when he tested positive for opiates after eating some poppy seeds in a cake. I'm not sure if they are legal, or not, but I would be paranoid about eating them here.

Did you check at Bakersmart in Chiang Mai? That's where I get mine.

Tried just before Christmas - maybe I was just unlucky and they were out of stock.

Noted for next time, thanks.

I was at a makro in Sa Kaeo province where they had an area in the back of the store with bulk spices. I bought a big bag of poppy seeds and still have half of it. I have not bothered to check the Bangkok area stores since I still have a lot left. But I wouldn't risk bringing them into the country in any event.

@ Konini or anyone else

Could you give me examples as what you use them in?

I've had a jar (Natco brand) for about a year and not used any yet, I did buy them for some indian recipe I had, but I forgot what the recipe was and lost the bookmark.

Edited by rhythmworx

I use them in (and sprinkled on top of) breads and muffins and they're really good with potatoes if you're tinkering with Indian cooking (my favourite). Fry them with other whole seeds to release the flavour into the oil.

• Like 1

@ Konini or anyone else

Could you give me examples as what you use them in?

I've had a jar (Natco brand) for about a year and not used any yet, I did buy them for some indian recipe I had, but I forgot what the recipe was and lost the bookmark.

Be careful. Sample the before you use them. Old poppy seed go rancid and develop a very unpleasant bitter flavor.

• 8 years later...