Automatic Connect/Logon To Android WiFi Without Human Intervention?

Here is an interesting question that will be of interest to everyone:

1. Thailand is one of those places where WiFi and Guesthouses are ubiquitous, and Farang must rely on Thailand's famously infamous WiFi connections supplied by sometimes weird networks installed by weirder Guesthouse owners.

2. Here is my problem:

a. I have a LT, a Tablet, a Smartphone, and a Desktop PC

b. I have TRUE DOCSIS supplied to my abode, with 10Mbps connection. The TRUE connection to my house works very well, and I have no complaints. I do have a signal strength problem from AP to my outdoor devices when I choose to sit outside until all hours in the morning. But this does not affect this topic.

c. I have WiFi at work, And I have a WiFi account, the username and password for which must be punched in when I want to begin using the workplace WiFi to connect to the internet.

d. My home AP likewise has a code which I need to punch in to connect to the internet.

e. I want to be able to install an app which will:

i. Detect which WiFi I wish to connect to, based on settings which I tell it.

ii. Connect to the WiFi when the device comes in range.

iii. Turn on my 3G service when I leave the WiFi range. (if I have set it up this way)

iv. Turn off 3G and connect to WiFi when I come in range of my workplace or home APs.

v. Notify me with an icon when I am connected to either 3G or WiFi so that I do not need to always guess and test.

vi. Stop trying to connect to a dozen different extraneous WiFis on my trip to the Mall, or in the Mall. And keep my 3G service operating instead of turning it off because it thinks there is a WiFi signal to which I have a password and can connect, when this is definitely not the case.

vii. (probably I neglected to include a few major important features in this list, but what I have here is a good start.)

3. I figure I waste up to 10 minutes per day establishing a connection and testing the connection between my home and workplace for both devices. And this means about 2 hours per week of wasted time, or 100 hours per year, or 4 solid days in the sun on some island around Phuket with a young thing serving me drinks while I gaze at my tablet on the beach.

4. So I really need the app I described here above. I have already tried a few, but I can't keep track of which app does what, and for free.

I DO NOT WANT TO PAY for this type of app, nor do I want ads. I want something that is free, just because the developers are nice and care about me.

Thank you.

Hope you have some good ideas about these apps.

Edited by CzarThustraThusSpake

My Android phone does most of that as standard.

It remembers WiFi keys but does not appear to send Username / Password combinations automatically (still have to hit a button).

If you are spending 10 minutes every day getting your connection to work, I suggest there is something seriously wrong with the configuration of your devices, the WiFi, or both. I don't think I've spent 10 minutes getting even a new connection working.

Getting a network printer going is another story altogether mind :(

• Like 2

I might delete all of the WiFi APs which are no longer used, keeping just your home and work APs.

Does your 3G plan offer any affiliated WiFi? If so, do you like to use it?

There are WiFi "manager" apps. in the Play Store, which can help you to manage, prioritize existing WiFi APs. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wifi%20manager&c=apps

Personally, I toggle WiFi off except when I am at a known, good, pre-configured WiFi location; this insures I default to 3G. You can do a two-finger pull down to gain quicker access, or just access "Settings", and slide WiFi on or off. Some firmware scans for WiFi frequently, and potentially unnecessarily, which only leads to additional battery drain. Assuming you have both mobile data and WiFi enabled then the default state is WiFi, and if you cannot access a known WiFi AP then you'll defualt to mobile data (3G).

You should have some indication of the network type in use from the status bar at the top of the screen. Every device may have different icons so you'll have to sort those out for your devices.

I might delete all of the WiFi APs which are no longer used, keeping just your home and work APs.

Does your 3G plan offer any affiliated WiFi? If so, do you like to use it?

There are WiFi "manager" apps. in the Play Store, which can help you to manage, prioritize existing WiFi APs. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wifi%20manager&c=apps

Personally, I toggle WiFi off except when I am at a known, good, pre-configured WiFi location; this insures I default to 3G. You can do a two-finger pull down to gain quicker access, or just access "Settings", and slide WiFi on or off. Some firmware scans for WiFi frequently, and potentially unnecessarily, which only leads to additional battery drain. Assuming you have both mobile data and WiFi enabled then the default state is WiFi, and if you cannot access a known WiFi AP then you'll defualt to mobile data (3G).

You should have some indication of the network type in use from the status bar at the top of the screen. Every device may have different icons so you'll have to sort those out for your devices.

Yes, I did delete the APs which were no longer used.

I have tried a few of the managers, but a number of them are more annoying than useful, since they will "break in" and notify every time your phone passes a new AP. I removed them for this reason.

I will again resort to manually toggling off WiFi, as usual when I am not at either work or home. It would still be nice to have an app that would manage this automatically. The battery drain is high, however if you are willing to keep your phone plugged into a 1Kwh, or 1000miliamphour battery in your pocket, or bag, as I do, then you will have plenty of power to be able to just keep both the WiFi and the 3G switches continually on the ON position.

SO THIS WAS THE REASON FOR THE TOPIC:

1. I want to be able to just always keep my phone set so that the WiFi will turn on automatically when it is at work or home, and also logon automatically to the browser logon with proper username and password.

2. When leaving the APs range, then the phone would automatically switch to 3G.

3. When the phone moves back into WiFi range, then it would switch off 3G and connect to WiFi.

I will keep looking, but so far I have not found a good app that is simple and effective at providing this service.

4. Here is one major problem with the apps I have found:

When the phone shifts over to 3G, after leaving the Work AP, or the Home AP, then if you are traveling around and come into range of some other WiFi, the phone will shut off 3G and try to establish connection with random WiFi APs that you have never used before. And of course you don't have the username or passwords either.

So you lose your 3G connection because your app turned it off to try to connect to a new WiFI that does not work.

I think there is one app that tries to remember the GPS location of the Home or Work AP, and then when you approach that area, it will try to find the signal and logon.

I am not too sure about all the features of the many different apps available at Google Play, but that is why i was asking.

Tks.

Both of my phones automatically use wireless when they can connect. So to me your issue is that your phone shuts off 3G when it sees a wireless to which it can't connect. I don't know the answer because, again, my phones don't shut off 3G until they actually automatically connect to wireless.

But for sure they default to wireless any time they can connect and go back to 3G when they lose that wifi signal.

When the phone shifts over to 3G, after leaving the Work AP, or the Home AP, then if you are traveling around and come into range of some other WiFi, the phone will shut off 3G and try to establish connection with random WiFi APs that you have never used before.

This seems unusual, and not the way the phone should work. I guess it could be an issue with the baseband firmware.

Can you share any details re: the names of these random networks?

So currently you only have two WiFi APs set up: home and work?

What make/model phone do you have? Is this a new problem? Did the phone ever work acceptably for you?

Which 3G provider are you using? Does it have complimentary WiFi (AIS/3BB, TrueMove H/True WiFi)?

Toggling WiFi off/on is, quite frankly, the simplest solution to your challenges for the time being. And it will greatly extend the life of your battery as your phone will not be scanning for WiFI networks every 10 seconds.

Both of my phones automatically use wireless when they can connect. So to me your issue is that your phone shuts off 3G when it sees a wireless to which it can't connect. I don't know the answer because, again, my phones don't shut off 3G until they actually automatically connect to wireless.

But for sure they default to wireless any time they can connect and go back to 3G when they lose that wifi signal.

EXACTLY!: Today, I was using the 3G, and then moved into an area where there were other WiFi signals. I went to turn on my tethering and portable hotspot, but it would not turn on because the 3G had shut off, and the phone was trying to connect to someone else's access point.

My feeling is that someone still needs to write one terrifically well designed app for android which will manage wifi and 3G well enough so that everything IS auomatic once you enter all your various usernames and passwords for the different places you frequent that you repeatedly connect to.

I WONDER IF Iphone and Ipad has a good app that works right and is simple?

Have you tried WeFi?

I did install WeFi on phone and tablet.

I wonderif that was the app which almost drives one crazy with notifications every 20 meters on the move.

Anyway, I am trying it again, although not really designed for my need

I do not want to use any access poinst besides my own, and those at work.

Everywhere else, I want to only use my 3G.

As the above posters have suggested all devices should not disconnect 3G until they have made a successful connection to a WiFi access point by default. You don't need any special app for that.

If your phone does disconnect 3G before establishing a valid WiFi connection then there is something wrong with it.

which will manage wifi and 3G well enough so that everything IS auomatic

I think this is the default for Android OS for as long as I can remember, so suspect you've got an issue with your phone/firmware or have somehow managed to totally mis-configure your phone.

As long as you have deleted all Wi-Fi APs, except work and home, (maybe turn off the phone, take out the battery, put the battery back in and re-start the phone), you should be fine. But then maybe one of the many apps. you downloaded and installed somehow messed up your phone? Obviously I would un-install all of those apps, and re-start the phone.

Based on your description(s) your phone is not functioning as expected, and no terrifically designed app will correct that.

If you select Portable Wi-Fi hotspot (Settings, Wireless & Networks, More, Tethering & portable hotspot) with WiFi enabled/connected, that WiFi connection will be terminated and a mobile data connection will be opened.

If you can share any other details: make/model phone, android ver., mobile data provider, are you subscribed to any public WiFi services, etc. some might have other recommendations.

• Like 1

which will manage wifi and 3G well enough so that everything IS auomatic

I think this is the default for Android OS for as long as I can remember, so suspect you've got an issue with your phone/firmware or have somehow managed to totally mis-configure your phone.

As long as you have deleted all Wi-Fi APs, except work and home, (maybe turn off the phone, take out the battery, put the battery back in and re-start the phone), you should be fine. But then maybe one of the many apps. you downloaded and installed somehow messed up your phone? Obviously I would un-install all of those apps, and re-start the phone.

Based on your description(s) your phone is not functioning as expected, and no terrifically designed app will correct that.

If you select Portable Wi-Fi hotspot (Settings, Wireless & Networks, More, Tethering & portable hotspot) with WiFi enabled/connected, that WiFi connection will be terminated and a mobile data connection will be opened.

If you can share any other details: make/model phone, android ver., mobile data provider, are you subscribed to any public WiFi services, etc. some might have other recommendations.

You know, I think you may be correct about this, and it may have been the additional useless apps I added which completely confused what is actually happening.

I removed all these Hotspot, WiFi, WeFi, WhatFi apps, and now I will see if things finally work.

Too many notifications intruding making the use of the phone less than useful, especially if you use the phone for langauge study/listening comprehension, the audio exercises get interrupted every few minutes with bells and gongs.

If this does not work, then maybe there still exists a SINGLE simple app that will do even better than the unadulterated Android OS.

Tks.