Satish appeals to HM the King over Thai govt order to deport him

webfact

You say it's highly disrespectful to bother the Monarchy when he made a stupid error, so how do you then justify every other person that has made an appeal to the Monarchy for their "stupid errors" such as murder, rape, drugs, lese majeste etc etc? Are they not also then being highly disrespectful to the Monarchy in that case? Yes. he broke "the law" (technically), but it's hardly on the same scale as all the other offences that are brought to the attention of the Monarchy..

Let's not forget, this is not a tourist, or a visitor, this is a man who has lived in and contributed to this country for decades AND has (had) Permanent Residency. His entire family is living here (and I believe most have "citizenship"), does that not afford him some "rights"?

To me, PT/CMPO have MADE this a political issue by cracking down on an easy target, not because it's "right" or "fair", but just because "they can" and need to be seen to be making some kind of progress in dealing with the protestors.

Many of those appeals are for people who claim their innocence, or making a plea for leniency in cases involving life imprisonment or death-sentence. Or in cases where the foreigner simply did not understand the laws of this nation. Crimes also of poor starving people stealing to survive, or murdering in self-defense etc.

Is there any evidentiary validity to your speculation?
The evidence lies at the discretion of the Ministry of Justice, the Department of Corrections and the Office of His Majesty Principal Private Secretary.

http://www.correct.go.th/eng/royal_pardon.html

Often times those considered for pardon are petty criminals with good behavior.

I am not aware of murderers or rapist ever being pardoned but nothing in Thailand is written in stone.

Often time those with connections use this loophole to gain freedom but I'm sure abuse is kept in check by the Office of His Majesty.

I was aware of the protocol and processing, but your post implied some actual real experience with what people were appealing for which offenses. Thanks for confirming you don't and that it was just speculation.

Btw, it is worth noting in the linked protocol, that it doesn't mention anything about how making an appeal is disrespectful, which was a different erroneous speculation on your part.

• Like 1

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Satish made a mistake and that is his problem now. He should not waste the time of such a truly wonderful person, who should not be dragged into these type of trivial and stressful personal mistakes, and '"put on the spot" in this way.

If you loved Thailand you would not pester such an illustrious person in his elderly frail condition, it is disrespectful.

Especially when Satish is simply receiving the justice promised him - all foreigners were clearly told to avoid protest sites and incendiary rhetoric, and Satish didn't.

So it's OK for me to commit murder here and then put in an appeal to His Majesty, but it's not OK to talk in public and then put in an appeal to His Majesty?

Personally, I would have thought what he did was (although illegal) very, very minor compared to what many here are arrested for. Seems to me like PT are simply vilifying someone who has contributed quite a lot to this country because it's "easy" for them to do so.

No. He knew that other channels of appeal were open to you and instead he chose to involve the monarchy ( something nobody on either side has sough to do in this conflict). My sympathy for him has gone.

Chalerm says he is kicking him out because he admitted his multiple offences to the police and you're all so quick to believe this, so who really cares what your opinion is. I note you never have much empathy for anything non red.

• Like 1

You say it's highly disrespectful to bother the Monarchy when he made a stupid error, so how do you then justify every other person that has made an appeal to the Monarchy for their "stupid errors" such as murder, rape, drugs, lese majeste etc etc?

Every one of them EVERY one of them has been to trial, found guilty, been sentenced to prison, has gone to prison. Every one of them. Of course Mr Satish has not. His case is not serious enough even to take up the time of a judge. That is the LAW, and of course Mr Abhisit was as carefully attentive to this law as is Ms Yingluck, having deported foreigners in 2010 who had the temerity to make speeches on the red shirt stage.

Every Thai and every foreigner in prison on Thailand has the constitutional right to petition for amnesty or even a pardon, and probably most of them do, at least the ones in for serious crimes as you list. Mr Satish actually, by law, does not have this same right, specifically because he has not been sentenced and served time. In order to get the same right, he would have to undergo deportation, and try to convince legal authorities he has the right to do this from India. Of course he could plead guilty to various legal offences, go to prison and then appeal too.

Mr Satish is no come-lately tourist rabble rouser, but he IS a rabble rouser. It's against the law for foreigners to be one. Legally, he's history and no, by YOUR standards, he has no right to "appeal" (quite the wrong word you've chosen) to the Monarchy (quite the wrong word again). He only has this right AFTER his punishment has commenced and all (irony alert) appeals have ended.

The above is not just a good idea, it's the law.

Satish made a mistake and that is his problem now. He should not waste the time of such a truly wonderful person, who should not be dragged into these type of trivial and stressful personal mistakes, and '"put on the spot" in this way.

If you loved Thailand you would not pester such an illustrious person in his elderly frail condition, it is disrespectful.

Especially when Satish is simply receiving the justice promised him - all foreigners were clearly told to avoid protest sites and incendiary rhetoric, and Satish didn't.

Well is your point that the appeal for pardon system is wrong, in which case I think you should concern yourself with the thousands pardoned from the jails every year - or does overcrowding come in to it?

Or is your point that an illustrious elderly person should not be pestered with such minor matters, in which case I think you might be surprised to learn that most of those things would be handled by the Royal Staff.

Or perhaps you are miffed that not just the wonderful Thai people can avail themselves but those Alien foreigners are allowed to as well?

Or perhaps that you just do not like the guy because he believes Thailand would be better off without your precious corrupt and incompetent traitors in the PTP who have stolen from the treasury in huge sums and proven inept in about everything they touch!

I believe its none of the above.

Its just pure respect and love for his Majesty and what he has done for the country.

This is not the time to get the monarchy involved in politics. There is actually no time to do so.

Thai's have to solve the problem among themselves instead of behaving like spoiled children when they don't get their own way go crying to their parents asking them to take sides.

How can any monarchy fail to be involved in politics when monarchies themselves are political institutions?
Thailand is a constitutional monarchy and by definition the monarchy is non-political.

Politicians here often bring up the monarchy as sort of a shield of virtue on their side when in fact that are trying to politicize an institution that is not meant to be political.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchies

Edited by smileydude

Erm....

Surely you yourself, and me myself and just about anyone on this news section at times have voiced political preferences and backed them up with accusations against the other side, politicians and their supporters.

Technically we are also in breech of the same laws of Thailand, namely defamation laws.

Most of us are no better than this guy, and he has lived here 65 years and paid much more tax than most of us.

If anything we have less right to be here than he has.

His only mistake was to think he would never really need Thai citizenship when he could have had it almost by default many years ago.

Leave the guy alone... He has done plenty of good for Thai tourism over the years, and brought much money and attention to Thailand. He probably has done enough for this country to at least be allowed to speak out against those who have been doing wrongs to it.

• That is correct: foreigners in Thailand do not have the same rights as Thais. So?
  • That is correct: as a foreigner and a guest, your freedom of expression is limited. So? (most countries do not welcome foreign agitators)
  • That is correct: however long you've been in Thailand, you're still a guest. So act like one, formally immigrate, or leave. It's simple.
  • That is nonsense: all your squealing about inalienable rights. Human beings have definite rights with respect to their own chosen governments, which THEY elect, but which do NOT include any right to meddle in the affairs of OTHER people's governments!
  • That is correct: if you are not Thai, you are a guest and will (most assuredly) never have the same rights as Thais do in their own country. (See above; if being a guest doesn't suit you, go home.)
  • That is correct: Thais are not Americans. And I expect the vast majority of them could care less whether their concept of democracy coincides with yours or not. Democracy is not a one-size-fits-all prescription for government, by definition actually.
  • That is correct: unless you break their laws and manage to get yourself locked up, you're free to leave and go wherever you want (or wherever they'll have you, which with your attitude, will eventually not be everywhere...)

Beginning to see a pattern here? You sound like the type of guest who walks into someone else's home and starts criticizing their décor, the way they raise their kids & treat their pets, and sticking you nose into their family quarrels. You're a GUEST!!!!! Learn to ACT like one, or expect to lose your welcome!!!!!

Now how comes that as a "Guest" in this country I'm not treated as one would treat a guest but more like a pest?

• Like 1

You say it's highly disrespectful to bother the Monarchy when he made a stupid error, so how do you then justify every other person that has made an appeal to the Monarchy for their "stupid errors" such as murder, rape, drugs, lese majeste etc etc? Are they not also then being highly disrespectful to the Monarchy in that case? Yes. he broke "the law" (technically), but it's hardly on the same scale as all the other offences that are brought to the attention of the Monarchy..

Let's not forget, this is not a tourist, or a visitor, this is a man who has lived in and contributed to this country for decades AND has (had) Permanent Residency. His entire family is living here (and I believe most have "citizenship"), does that not afford him some "rights"?

To me, PT/CMPO have MADE this a political issue by cracking down on an easy target, not because it's "right" or "fair", but just because "they can" and need to be seen to be making some kind of progress in dealing with the protestors.

Many of those appeals are for people who claim their innocence, or making a plea for leniency in cases involving life imprisonment or death-sentence. Or in cases where the foreigner simply did not understand the laws of this nation. Crimes also of poor starving people stealing to survive, or murdering in self-defense etc.

Satish knew what he was doing, he got clear warning not to do it. He did not do it to feed his family or defend his life. And he is not appealing to have his life-sentence cut shorter or to avoid execution. He is simply trying to avoid deportation, after he was told that doing something would result in his deportation and he said basically who cares I'm going to do it anyway.

wai2.gif

You're really stretching things trying to say Satish is less deserving that all the convicted felons in prison that regularly appeal for Royal Pardons. You really are full of yourself if you believe what you wrote. High horse much? "poor starving people stealing to survive, or murdering in self-defense etc." Yeah, the prisons are full of those people. LOL

So it's OK for me to commit murder here and then put in an appeal to His Majesty, but it's not OK to talk in public and then put in an appeal to His Majesty?

Personally, I would have thought what he did was (although illegal) very, very minor compared to what many here are arrested for. Seems to me like PT are simply vilifying someone who has contributed quite a lot to this country because it's "easy" for them to do so.

No. He knew that other channels of appeal were open to you and instead he chose to involve the monarchy ( something nobody on either side has sough to do in this conflict). My sympathy for him has gone.

Sounds like a classic case of some shouty person going 'Don't you know who I am am?' to which the correct approach should always be 'Nurse, bring the straitjacket we have someone here who doesn't know who they are'

again this is the ignorant Thai government raising it's ugly head and stating to all "you are not one of us"

You do not have the same rights as us.

You are not free to express yourself or opinions.

It doesn't matter how long you've been here or what you've contributed to the country you can always leave.

You do not have those inalienable rights that developed countries have, we are a third world country with third world views.

If you are not Thai you will always be a second class citizen or less.

We are not America though we spew "democracy" whenever we can but we don't know what it means.

You stay too long and can go home even if you don't have one. bah.gif

I agree on what you feel and mean, but in this case it is not about express an opinion , it is about a foreigner who is involved in seizing Thai (government) properties.

What government property did he seize?

They're deporting him because he won't give those buildings he seized back.

Maybe he did, and maybe he didn't. Seems like there was no judiciary hearing to determine that.

Erm....

Surely you yourself, and me myself and just about anyone on this news section at times have voiced political preferences and backed them up with accusations against the other side, politicians and their supporters.

Technically we are also in breech of the same laws of Thailand, namely defamation laws.

Most of us are no better than this guy, and he has lived here 65 years and paid much more tax than most of us.

His only mistake was to think he would never really need Thai citizenship when he could have had it almost by default many years ago.

Leave the guy alone... He has done plenty of good for Thai tourism over the years, and brought much money and attention to Thailand. He probably has done enough for this country to at least be allowed to speak out against those who have been doing wrongs to it.

I can't "leave him alone" as I have never met him, insulted him or done anything to him to begin with. Infact I think he's just another harmless old gentleman who in this particular incident believed sincerely that PTP would be toppled by the Suthep overthrow movement, and that because of this the gentleman in question would face no problems post-coup, and maybe even benefit from his protest stance. He made a grand style miscalculation of that, up the hill and down the hill like the Grand old Duke of York.

Re; "we post on forums" etc. this is not the same thing. If the Govt here tells foreign visitors to do something, we do it. If we don't do it, we face the consequences. Very simple. If the Thai Govt told me that in the interests of national stability during a crisis, I should not read The Nation re-posts on a forum, or comment on those articles - I would stop doing this immediately.

For me, it is very simple ; when you are in a foreign country and the Govt tells you to not do something, by then going ahead and doing it you are setting a very bad example to other tourists, and also acting as a very poor representative of the nation printed on your passport cover. It is really that simple. I love being here and am grateful for my Visas, and I would never go against any laws here or against the orders of the Govt during times of national crisis. My own political views and commentary do not come into this at all. And neither does using forums unless I'm ordered not to.

• Like 1

Mr. Satish, it seems did not follow the normal channels of appeal and went directly to the top. If he is let off the hook, will more foreigners like him be so emboldened as to join the protesters? This is a test case that may set a precedent that nobody wants to see - unless you are Mr. Suthep.

Mr. Chalerm, it seems, did not follow the normal channels of prosecution and went directly to deportation. If one can be deported without formally being notified of charges and allowed to face a judge and plead their case with legal representation, what justice is there for any guests of the Kingdom? Is this the way to treat guests? Especially a guest who has, for many years, contributed to Thailand's economy by bringing foreign tourists in (and their foreign money), creating jobs for Thai people, and, until this one incident, a guest who has Permanent Residency and is an upstanding and respected pillar of the Indian-Thai community? Surely he should first be found guilty, in a court of law, of some misdeed before deportation proceedings are begun. This is chickenshit behavior by CMPO and meant to intimidate all second class citizens from participation in public affairs that affect their livelihoods and futures as much as it affects any Thai citizen. If murderers, rapists, wife-beaters, child molesters, drug peddlers, thieves, and foreigners who violate Lese Majesty laws are allowed to petition His Majesty (and I've never read on this forum anyone getting protective of the King when these people petition him), then Mr. Satish certainly has the right.

• Like 2

Mr. Chalerm, it seems, did not follow the normal channels of prosecution and went directly to deportation. If one can be deported without formally being notified of charges and allowed to face a judge and plead their case with legal representation, what justice is there for any guests of the Kingdom? Is this the way to treat guests? Especially a guest who has, for many years, contributed to Thailand's economy by bringing foreign tourists in (and their foreign money), creating jobs for Thai people, and, until this one incident, a guest who has Permanent Residency and is an upstanding and respected pillar of the Indian-Thai community? Surely he should first be found guilty, in a court of law, of some misdeed before deportation proceedings are begun. This is chickenshit behavior by CMPO and meant to intimidate all second class citizens from participation in public affairs that affect their livelihoods and futures as much as it affects any Thai citizen. If murderers, rapists, wife-beaters, child molesters, drug peddlers, thieves, and foreigners who violate Lese Majesty laws are allowed to petition His Majesty (and I've never read on this forum anyone getting protective of the King when these people petition him), then Mr. Satish certainly has the right.

I would say that in the case of LM, the crime automatically involves the highly respected family itself, and so I would see why they would take an extra interest in appeals relating to this crime. To me that is just common sense, the same as if somebody insulted me it would become my legal case by default.

The problem is that most of the pardons that I have read were not related to political fighting, or taking sides in an effort to destabilise the nation. The Suthep movement was not talking about changing road safety laws or anything, they were talking about abolishing the electoral democracy and replacing it with an unelected junta. Some of the student-leaders were talking about the kidnap of the PM's family too. This is serious business, it can backfire dramatically and cause huge damage to the stability of the nation. For that reason, a foreigner becoming involved in this overthrow movement is guilty of more than say shoplifting, wife-beating or even LM, he poses a threat to the stability of the current political system and the nation itself.

If the Govt has ordered foreigners to avoid protests altogether, especially to avoid taking sides in a volatile situation, then this is an order that foreigners should respect. And this is a separate issue to what a great guy Satish is. I myself have done a lot of charitable humanitarian work etc. but I wouldn't for a moment believe that this made me so special I am above following orders from the Govt of a nation I'm staying in.

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

• That is correct: foreigners in Thailand do not have the same rights as Thais. So?
  • That is correct: as a foreigner and a guest, your freedom of expression is limited. So? (most countries do not welcome foreign agitators)
  • That is correct: however long you've been in Thailand, you're still a guest. So act like one, formally immigrate, or leave. It's simple.
  • That is nonsense: all your squealing about inalienable rights. Human beings have definite rights with respect to their own chosen governments, which THEY elect, but which do NOT include any right to meddle in the affairs of OTHER people's governments!
  • That is correct: if you are not Thai, you are a guest and will (most assuredly) never have the same rights as Thais do in their own country. (See above; if being a guest doesn't suit you, go home.)
  • That is correct: Thais are not Americans. And I expect the vast majority of them could care less whether their concept of democracy coincides with yours or not. Democracy is not a one-size-fits-all prescription for government, by definition actually.
  • That is correct: unless you break their laws and manage to get yourself locked up, you're free to leave and go wherever you want (or wherever they'll have you, which with your attitude, will eventually not be everywhere...)

Beginning to see a pattern here? You sound like the type of guest who walks into someone else's home and starts criticizing their décor, the way they raise their kids & treat their pets, and sticking you nose into their family quarrels. You're a GUEST!!!!! Learn to ACT like one, or expect to lose your welcome!!!!!

Now how comes that as a "Guest" in this country I'm not treated as one would treat a guest but more like a pest?

Geez... You're being childishly subjective. "It's all about ME!" People who feel like they're being TREATED as pests, maybe feel that way because they are BEHAVING as pests!

OK, one more time. If the "level of hospitality" you experience in Thailand doesn't meet your requirements or your expectations, LEAVE! Unless you're in jail, no one's forcing it on you. If you want the right to become politically active, then you must meet all the requirements and immigrate. It's not YOUR country, and no, you can't have it "your way"! It IS THEIR country, and yes, they CAN have it THEIR WAY! Now what don't you understand?

All this back & forth about the "right" to (or not) petition the Monarchy is pointless. Anyone can "submit" whatever request they want. Whether or not it's granted, or even forwarded as hoped, is another matter entirely. In this particular case, not actually being a convict or a prisoner, this Indian national has no "right" to anything with respect to his request. He's simply requesting a favor, NOT an entitlement. As granting this particular favor might be considered an unwanted precedent, I suspect it won't be. Whether or not you agree that this request was a politically correct thing to do, the guy's probably grasping at straws and feels he has little to lose. His illicit political involvements put him at the mercy of the political movers & shakers.

It would be interesting to know how many(if any) TV members supporting this man's deportation are visa runners. Remember that whenever you point a finger someone, three are pointing back at yourself...

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Satish knew what he was doing, he got clear warning not to do it. He did not do it to feed his family or defend his life. And he is not appealing to have his life-sentence cut shorter or to avoid execution. He is simply trying to avoid deportation, after he was told that doing something would result in his deportation and he said basically who cares I'm going to do it anyway.

wai2.gif

Wow you must be clairvoyant to know who appeals and the details of those cases!!!

Can you please also predict when true democracy will arrive in this country?

And last question.. How would you feel if someone murdered your child (if you have one) and they appeal for pardon?

(@ SAB) Why? Most of us follow the rules meticulously (the ones regarding our visas AS WELL AS the ones prohibiting involvement in protests, demonstrations, etc.). What are you preaching about?

Edited by hawker9000

h90, on 07 Mar 2014 - 09:33, said:
AoChalong, on 07 Mar 2014 - 07:10, said:
MAJIC, on 07 Mar 2014 - 06:54, said:

Normally I would have sympathy for this guy who has been in Thailand for around 50 years! but now I have no idea what point he was trying to make!

...and so he should be deported because you don't understand his point? facepalm.gif

Not only deported, also banned from any entry for 5 years and so banned to see his sick mother he take care off.

So who was looking after "dear old mum" when he was off leading demonstrations to surround the Civil Aviation department after the SOE had been announced, or when he was appearing on stage and especially when he appeared on stage with suthep after he was told by the caretaker government that he was likely to be deported and he had announced he would not be involved in politics.

Perhaps he should have thought about "dear old mum" before he got involved. The USA had issued a travel warning stating that non thai citizens should not get involved. The government had made clear it's attitude towards non Thai citizens involved in the protests.

On January 22, the Royal Thai Government commenced a 60-day state of emergency in Bangkok and several surrounding provinces. The emergency decree provides the government additional authorities to deal with security challenges, such as the ability to impose curfews, ban certain assemblies, detain suspects without charge, and restrict information. The government has signaled its intention to take legal measures against some non-Thai citizens who have participated in protest activities.

https://oia.stanford.edu/aggregator/sources/2

He is not stupid, he was aware of the consequences.

Wow you must be clairvoyant to know who appeals and the details of those cases!!!

Can you please also predict when true democracy will arrive in this country?

And last question.. How would you feel if someone murdered your child (if you have one) and they appeal for pardon?

No I don't know all the legal cases in detail. Do you? I have read news stories over the years, but I don't know the people involved specifically, or if they were genuinely innocent of the crimes, or if they were well-behaved in prison. But I do read the newspapers.

Re; the murder of my child etc. there is really no need for that stuff.

It is none of my business if the highly illustrious person deems to pardon person XYZ. I have great respect for him, and would never question his actions. I am questioning Satish's actions, and I am suggesting he is very arrogant and disrespectful to make this appeal under the circumstances that he disobeyed an order from the Govt relating to national stability during crisis, got involved in a movement to topple the Govt, and now he's not willing to face the consequences.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

Curious, I don't remember westerners on this board kicking up so much fuss when Thailand deports Rohingyas or the Hmong. Then again, they're not likely to be upstanding businessmen or members of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 2

I have a British friend who is a Thai citizen. At some point in history Thai Citizenship was offered and he took it. It seems strange that during the same period Mr. Satish did not avail himself of the same offer?

Anyway as has been said we are all visitors here even those with not so permanent residency. As my wife says foreigners should not be involved in protests as they don't understand Thailand.

Sad but at 70 he should have known better!

I would say that in the case of LM, the crime automatically involves the highly respected family itself, and so I would see why they would take an extra interest in appeals relating to this crime. To me that is just common sense, the same as if somebody insulted me it would become my legal case by default.

The problem is that most of the pardons that I have read were not related to political fighting, or taking sides in an effort to destabilise the nation. The Suthep movement was not talking about changing road safety laws or anything, they were talking about abolishing the electoral democracy and replacing it with an unelected junta. Some of the student-leaders were talking about the kidnap of the PM's family too. This is serious business, it can backfire dramatically and cause huge damage to the stability of the nation. For that reason, a foreigner becoming involved in this overthrow movement is guilty of more than say shoplifting, wife-beating or even LM, he poses a threat to the stability of the current political system and the nation itself.

If the Govt has ordered foreigners to avoid protests altogether, especially to avoid taking sides in a volatile situation, then this is an order that foreigners should respect. And this is a separate issue to what a great guy Satish is. I myself have done a lot of charitable humanitarian work etc. but I wouldn't for a moment believe that this made me so special I am above following orders from the Govt of a nation I'm staying in.

I'm not talking about if Satish should be pardoned or not. I'm not saying Satish is justified or that he should stay. I'm referring to all the hypocrites who think he doesn't have the right to appeal for a Royal Pardon. A man of his standing, and history in the community, deserves the courtesy of being formally charged with wrongdoing and given the chance to appeal.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Erm....

' His only mistake was to think he would never really need Thai citizenship' What a load of cr@p.

His only mistake was to join the protests. That is why there is a deportation order.

Edited by delh

My goodness when will everybody understand that Mr Satish has in Thailand "human rights" but not "political rights"

If he behaved the same way as he did in Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore...he would be on airplane the next day...but here in Thailand they give him time to pack and to consult lawyers for rights he does not have.

Oh I see, as if there aren't already hundreds of appeals filed and pardons granted every year to prisoners in Thai jails convicted of every kind of crime.... except of course the "crime" of opposing the PTP and the Thaksin regime. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thaksin Rules (not) OK.