thailand missing opportunities by No foreign ownership

jacksam

Your all missing the point.

Foreign ownership for INDIVIDUALS would not push up prices. I give up. . Clearly no one here understands wealth creation for Thai people, not farang. I never suggested company players or foreign condo development. This joint is stuffed for Thai people because there is very low tax on land and the rich sit on it. And the not rich cannot sell it or use it. The land is owned by Thai people, broaden the purchaser based market and they make money. Very subjective that a farang will make much. Would be better investing in AU. . They would do it as they want to live here.

We are all missing the point? Have you ever heard of Supply and Demand? Of course prices will go up!

Besides, why should you, or any other foreigner 'own' a single square inch of this country, for any reason.

Stuff me you talk about supply/demand curves that you may of touched on in high school. Type something that i would show you understand economics or leave it. As for wanting to own a tiny bit here so I could massage my comfort zone. I think you will find many in my boat. Doesn't imply your rowing on wrong side but why be so narrow minded.

Maybe you don't own much in the way of real estate. Some people find it a warm blanket. And yes one that won't make money here. So your point is ???

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Real estate development is a curse on the planet as a whole, never mind individual jurisdictions.

The less the better.

The word development almost implies big scale stuff. Again I was talking about SMALL scale .So much shitty under utilized land here. This is not about money grab. The money is coming from OS.

This is so different to government printing money and running a deficit. USA STORY.

Simply example. I just sold a block in AU for $200k au.

So now I buy a small pot say half a rai ,800 sqm. N

Knock up a house.

I need everyone from contractors down to a cleaner at completion. This money is not printed by Thai government. Its MY money I bring here with very LITTLE RETURN .I won't go on. I did this in rural au and all it created was an injection into the economy. This is my last post . I preaching to the already converted

Real estate development is a curse on the planet as a whole, never mind individual jurisdictions.

The less the better.

After witnessing what some of these developers have done to the country maybe our mr real estate wanabee developer should head back to Melbourne and seek his fortune there.

Neither wanted nor needed on these shores.

The less the better.

After witnessing what some of these developers have done to the country maybe our mr real estate wanabee developer should head back to Melbourne and seek his fortune there.

<deleted> READ THE ORIGINAL POST IT WAS SPECIFIC ABOUT INDIVIDUAL OWNERSHIP.

The word development does not mean a <deleted> condo. It canmean a bbungalow in rural Thai. Get with the program

You've got a very specific ax to grind here.

You think economic development is a good thing. I don't. I don't care if it's single-home owner-builders, I think Thailand is much better off keeping such activity to the Thais so it happens more slowly and affordably for them.

Foreigners should only rent never buy anyway.

humans-and-trees.jpg

Hell's bells your all missing the point. MY POST was about a very limited ownership for INDIVIDUALS. It was not about condo developments.

In any event I love all the 10 year expats ,married to Thai or not saying "leave Thailand the way it is "

There thinking is they don't give a stuff.

My Thai gf for example (and yes x bar for all wondering) states one thing to me .....I WOULD LOVE TO WORK AND EARN MONEY.

And don't be smart asses. Ladies and men here would like a job that pays more than 300baht a day.

And you pompous farang come here and say leave it as it is!!!!

Why ,so you can have cheap digs and shags etc. Strange as many farang have kids here. Oh I get it they care for themselves and those close but don't give a flying for the issan daughters. Selfish blokes. Go work in charity instead of the pattaya golf course

You aint got a real clue have you?

The less the better.

The word development does not mean a <deleted> condo. It canmean a bbungalow in rural Thai. Get with the program

Oh dear oh dear, have you ever considered anger management courses, jai ron mai dee, jai yen yen dee kwa.

I never mentioned condos, take a trip down to Hua Hin and see the way it was raped and pillaged, head down to Pattaya and see whats taking place down there.

<deleted> would I want a bungalow in rural Thailand, whatever that may mean.

I rent a two storey house 200+ sm in Bang Kapi, 10,000 baht per month.

<deleted> would I want to invest in real estate here, the numbers dont add up.

Bottom line, you aint Thai, just suck it up and accept it, same as me and all the others.

For the record my properties in the UK and Australia have given me better returns than I would have achieved here.

Foreigners that want to own/control land in Thailand ......already do by the various means available.

And the very clever Thais (and sometimes farang scamming farang) have convinced them their "investment" is "safe".

Far from it, anytime they feel like it the government can "crack down" and just take the property back for having been obtained illegally, e.g. nominee directors.

I give up. At the moment Thailand is a basket case. Its kept alive by tourism. Yes we all love Thailand but let's get real. This is a time bomb . The infrastructure here I.e rail and light transport is a joke. Google this . kilometers of light rail in bkk and same for say Melbourne. Its like 10 tomes in favour of Melbourne with population one quarter Thai. Point is you selfish expats need to think about long term Thai and not your own life expectancy

Tourism's share of the Thai economy has been steadily declining. Yes 10% or so is significant, but hardly critical.

Sure it's less developed, but development for it's own sake is not a good thing in itself.

Empty land is wonderful, rampant construction a blight wherever it shows up.

Thailand is DEFINITELY wise to prevent foreign ownership of its land.

Now business startups and actually encouraging skilled immigration, those are other topics and I agree should be opened up a lot more.

But not land ownership or RE development business.

Official tourism numbers are not counting:

All the cash being handled by kiosks and non permanent shopping booths that line the streets wherever tourists are, and of those tourists weren't freely throwing 100's and 1,000's of Baht at these many booth operators, many whom are dealing in stolen, pirated, and second's. off cuts, and pre owned goods being sold as new to the unsuspecting, and you would see starvation and crime sky rocket.

Dont tell me tourists dont keep the average thai eating because, this is purely false

And you have not got a clue either. Kn#bheads the pair of you.

The less the better.

Oh dear oh dear, have you ever considered anger management courses, jai ron mai dee, jai yen yen dee kwa.

I never mentioned condos, take a trip down to Hua Hin and see the way it was raped and pillaged, head down to Pattaya and see whats taking place down there.

Bottom line, you aint Thai, just suck it up and accept it, same as me and all the others.

For the record my properties in the UK and Australia have given me better returns than I would have achieved here.

You clever man. I have more properties in AU than you could dream of. Didn't mention it as it has nothing to do with my post but you feel the need to big note. Why

The less the better.

You clever man. I have more properties in AU than you could dream of. Didn't mention it as it has nothing to do with my post but you feel the need to big note. Why

^^^^^,

great stuff, you da man.

Lets cut to the chase here, little Miss Issan princess wants you to buy some property, but you having being ripped off in farangland land before by the evil witch want to cover your ass, perfectly understanable.

Buy a condo or get outta Dodge.

You have yet to give me a reason why I should invest in real estate here, head to London for better returns.

At least I can own it in my own name, no restrictions.

• Like 1

^^^^^,

great stuff, you da man.

Lets cut to the chase here, little Miss Issan princess wants you to buy some property, but you having being ripped off in farangland land before by the evil witch want to cover your ass, perfectly understanable.

Buy a condo or get outta Dodge.

You have yet to give me a reason why I should invest in real estate here, head to London for better returns.

GeeZ its not about returns. Maybe I want a project. Maybe I'm bored. Maybe I don't like golf or sick of drinking with visiting friends from os. Who cares.,..fact is if I have a couple hundred k to have a wank with owning a small home here ...all it does is inject money and jobs into this town. You give me advice about money making. Give me a break. I don't need more tax rental investments in au or elsewhere. Read my previous posts. I said it was a dud investment buying stuff here. Next you will advise me on the stock market. PLEASE!

At least I can own it in my own name, no restrictions.

the UK gumment dont care who buys the land hence large parts of London property being bought up by every Tom Dick and Harry from around the world .the result is that senior doctors on very high salaries can no longer afford to rent a flat in central London as the rents have gotten so high now.

so maybe the thais have the right idea

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/senior-doctors-cant-afford-to-rent-homes-near-londons-main-hospitals-9175524.html

I can buy an interest in all of the land that I want in Thailand. If you think land in Thailand is undervalued buy a Thai Real Estate Investment Trust. Someone can educate me otherwise but I think all Farang can buy a REIT on the SET.

http://www.set.or.th/en/products/listing/criteria_p7.html

A REIT is paper. Holding shares in a REIT is not land ownership and the holder has no influence on how the land is managed. The share certificate doesn't allow the holder to possess or use the land in any way, it is totally indirect.

Too lazy to Google, but in other kingdoms, can foreigners own land in the kingdom? I thought the king "owns" all the land in a kingdom.

That's news to everyone who lives in the UK, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands or Spain...

... and Belgium.

Sorry! I missed out Andorra, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Vatican City too. Apologies all round biggrin.png

The point of the OP's post is that he's miffed that he can't buy a bit of land. It's got very little to do with transferring his skills (which appear to centre around whining when he can't get his own way) or the benefits that the white man will bring to yet another third world heathen country. As usual Rudyard got it right...

Take up the White Man's burden--
Send forth the best ye breed--
Go bind your sons to exile
To serve your captives' need;
To wait in heavy harness,
On fluttered folk and wild--
Your new-caught, sullen peoples,
Half-devil and half-child.

Farang are rich.

Thai people poor.

If Farang allowed to buy land, there won't be land left for Thai people.

Farang are rich and stupid.

Thais are poor and dishonest.

Everything should work out in the end if nature is allowed to take it's course.

Too lazy to Google, but in other kingdoms, can foreigners own land in the kingdom? I thought the king "owns" all the land in a kingdom.

The Queen of England is the largest private landowner in the world. This is because every Brit or commonwealth subject actually does not own the land outright.

Kingly standards have slipped badly.

We need to bring back le roi du soleil, Louis XIV, to reset the proper style.

He owned every inch of France (well worth owning), very fish in every river and every animal in the forest.

And you can enjoy visiting his house at Versailles or his 440-room "hunting lodge" at Chambord.

No point in being King if you can't enjoy it!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Queen of England is the largest private landowner in the world. This is because every Brit or commonwealth subject actually does not own the land outright.

I don't know about British land ownership laws, but I do know that there are cattle or sheep stations in Australia, privately owned, that are bigger than England, thus the Queen would not be the largest landowner in the world.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't know about British land ownership laws, but I do know that there are cattle or sheep stations in Australia, privately owned, that are bigger than England, thus the Queen would not be the largest landowner in the world.

uk is 130,000 square km give or take

is there farms bigger than that in oz ?

Good points, OP. Take the U.S. They have very tough Immigration laws but anyone can buy property. Buying property and then paying property and other taxes benefits a society.

Maybe Thailand needs to introduce property and estate taxes?

I see so much evidence of blatant mismanagement. Take Champs Elysees Condominium Tiwanon Road. www.pgp.co.th SET listed developer.

• About 20% of owners never pay the HOA fees - some owe > 500,000 Baht.
  • They erected a huge office building near the Caltex gas station. Some windows are in and they clearly spent 73% of total cost. The stopped - years ago. In the west, the bank would complete the project as that they they would make millions of Dollars more versus letting the building go...
  • While the gym never seems to be doing well, they erected an additional building for "saunas" etc. Then stopped. It's an unbelievable eye sore, resembling the pillars near Don Mueang airport.

Thailand needs Western managers!!

"What were they thinking?" comes to mind. And no, they won't allow an ATM at the 7-11 which would be used by thousands living in those condos. Instead, they have grand plans of "many banks coming to us" - when, in 2022? Then we all will be paying with mobile phones! Jeez.

Thailand would benefit from foreign ownership - just limit it to certain properties and keep the dreaded invasion by Singaporean business men at bay.

• Like 1

Don't talk &lt;deleted&gt;

• Like 1

Unfortunately keeping people ignorant means you can buy their vote more easily. That's why the laws are archaic.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

It would double, triple the prices for the locals

Keeping people down only works until the people begin to understand - the internet changes understanding.

Singapore was once parochial and Thailand was the richest country in South East Asia. Singapore changed the rules and has become, BY FAR, the richest country in South East Asia. Thailand continues to fall farther and farther behind, because of their parochial rules.

If Thailand wants wealth, the government will change the rules. If they want slavery they will not.

As for being lonely - Asian women are famous for desiring security over beauty. This has been true for centuries. Thus an older, established man who is not searching for a dollar, is much more desirable than a young handsome, but poor man.

My son corresponds with women all over Asia, who have the same question - where to find older foreign men.

• Like 1

Hell's bells your all missing the point. MY POST was about a very limited ownership for INDIVIDUALS. It was not about condo developments.

In any event I love all the 10 year expats ,married to Thai or not saying "leave Thailand the way it is "

There thinking is they don't give a stuff.

My Thai gf for example (and yes x bar for all wondering) states one thing to me .....I WOULD LOVE TO WORK AND EARN MONEY.

And don't be smart asses. Ladies and men here would like a job that pays more than 300baht a day.

And you pompous farang come here and say leave it as it is!!!!

Why ,so you can have cheap digs and shags etc. Strange as many farang have kids here. Oh I get it they care for themselves and those close but don't give a flying for the issan daughters. Selfish blokes. Go work in charity instead of the pattaya golf course

You aint got a real clue have you?

He doesn't. And he should at least be honest. The OP is not a bit concerned about Thailand or what's good for the people--he wants what's good for him. That's it and that's all. He can try to rationalize all he wants, but even the self-serving politicians know that allowing foreign ownership of land (even "individuals") would be the ultimate sell-out of the country.

Fact is, foreign land ownership would guarantee that prices will go up. Nevermind average Thais, the typical farang living in Thailand would be priced out as well. (I suppose we might get a better class of farangs coming over) And it certainly wouldn't be a farang domination of the land grab. It would be decidedly Asian. The regional, land-starved powerhouses in HK, Singapore, Taiwan, even Korea and Japan, would slice Thailand up like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. And they would get around any regulation that stated "individual" land ownership.

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 2

uk is 130,000 square km give or take

is there farms bigger than that in oz ?

I said "England". Are you saying HM owns all of UK?

Didn't realize "knobhead" requires obscuring, is it an obscenity?

What does it mean, anything objective?

I was suspended/banned recently on this forum, so i was trying to be subtle. But i have decided anyway, as of today i am banning myself from reading any more posts/threads on politics and general news on Thai Visa. I am wasting too much time and my life reading this drivel, the crap "Nation news" items, and moron's/ BKK condo dweller's opinions. And there's no point in me getting wound up by &lt;deleted&gt; who have not got a clue about the REAL Thailand. Life's too short. As of today, my avatar will only be seen on the farming forum, which is where i started, is my sole income, and which has interesting and informative threads and posters. I may peruse the motoring - cars/bikes sections once a month, as i am a bit of a petrolhead, but this is the last thread i read anywhere else on this site. Got better things to do, so it's goodbye from me and goodbye from me.

• Like 1