Thai woman set alight during horrific attack in Sydney

webfact

Woman set alight during horrific attack in Sydney CBD, man arrested
Brittany Ruppert and Rachel Browne

SYDNEY: -- The manager of a troubled Haymarket apartment building has raised concerns about overcrowding in the complex after a man allegedly doused his partner with flammable liquid and set her alight.

The 34-year-old female victim is in a serious but stable condition at Concord Hospital after sustaining burns to her head and upper body.

The incident is believed to have occurred in a common area on level six of the Regis Towers complex on Castleraegh Street in Sydney's CBD, where the woman is understood to have been living as a subtenant in an apartment in the building.

The woman is an Australian resident of Thai background. Consulate staff are currently attempting to contact the victim's relatives overseas.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/woman-set-alight-during-horrific-attack-in-sydney-cbd-man-arrested-20140308-34ddp.html

smh.jpg
-- Sydney Morning Herald 2014-03-08

• Like 1

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/man-arrested-and-under-police-guard-as-woman-suffers-horrific-burns-after-being-set-alight-in-city-apartment-building/story-fnii5s3x-1226848583623

The 28-year-old suspect in what police are calling an attempted murder, is of Thai background, and was found by police 20 minutes after the attack, after an ambulance was called to Ultimo.
  • Like 1

Tower managers were in the news just recently for harsh policing of guest policy. They seem to have been right about something.

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/domain/real-estate-news/regis-towers-tenants-locked-out-due-to-prostitution-drug-fears-20140123-31b4l.html

Starting to sound like that dingy tower in HK's Kowloon. How can poor (and often desperate) immigrants live in expensive inner city digs? Easy, pack em in like sardines.

Tower managers were in the news just recently for harsh policing of guest policy. They seem to have been right about something.

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/domain/real-estate-news/regis-towers-tenants-locked-out-due-to-prostitution-drug-fears-20140123-31b4l.html

Starting to sound like that dingy tower in HK's Kowloon. How can poor (and often desperate) immigrants live in expensive inner city digs? Easy, pack em in like sardines.

That's where Thai town is in Sydney. There's stacks of Thais living and working around there. Many working for $50 a night for waitressing, kitchen hand etc, paid well below the award wage and pile up together in the apartments to reduce their costs.

Disgraceful stuff going on .

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

That's where Thai town is in Sydney. There's stacks of Thais living and working around there. Many working for $50 a night for waitressing, kitchen hand etc, paid well below the award wage and pile up together in the apartments to reduce their costs.

What's wrong with university students?

^ Nothing's wrong with university students, but many of them are being ripped off, working for rates well below the award wage. It's not because the foods,cheap either, quite the opposite there. There are rich getting richer by taking advantage of these Thais. Not all of them are doing it, but there are some that are.

Someone else was recently jailed there for a heinous crime against a young female Thai.

Now this aweful attack, not sure whether the coward that did this is Australian or some other grub. Terrible thing to do.

• Like 2

dreadful...I must admit when I read the original story I assumed it was another ethnicity more known for this kind of attack

On the news in Australia it says the attacker was another Thai national who has residency and is known to police.

It is a disgusting attack. Nothing can justify this.

this is not the norm. I must comment though that I have many male friends that fall in love with Thai girls marry them then 2 years later she leaves him when she gets residency. These are great guys that have never abused or hit anyone. They are left shattered and heartbroken. 1 cannot even look at a woman now. Very sad.
  • Like 1

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/man-arrested-and-under-police-guard-as-woman-suffers-horrific-burns-after-being-set-alight-in-city-apartment-building/story-fnii5s3x-1226848583623

The 28-year-old suspect in what police are calling an attempted murder, is of Thai background, and was found by police 20 minutes after the attack, after an ambulance was called to Ultimo.

An immediate answer to my 1st question. This is quite a common retribution by Thais on Thais.

Terrible stuff. Scarred for life.

shes lucky she didnt have acid thrown to melt her face off

this happens quite often in thailand too

An immediate answer to my 1st question. This is quite a common retribution by Thais on Thais.

Terrible stuff. Scarred for life.

Really? I thought they tried avoid confrontation.

"You dont need to learn to love yourself; you just need to UNLEARN all the reasons you reject yourself..." -sent from TV app (Note 2).

Yes a Thai on Thai attack, in Sydney. Despite that, it kind of fits in along the lines of other stuff going on virtually daily, in Sydney. Shootings, bashings, murders, heaps of aggression and violence, plenty of people doing what ever it is that pleases them.

Organised crime, alcohol and drugs. Terrible stuff, there's no shortage of thugs in society.

There seems to be some sort of punch drunk culture in Australia these days, the Police are always playing catch up, although new laws which relate to the service of Alcohol in the city, kings x etc may have some effect on the situation with a bit of luck. Similar laws worked well in Newcastle.

And in relation to Domestic violence and crime against women, Australia is miles ahead of Thailand, fortunately for Australia. There are many systems In place for victims and the authorities treat these complaints very seriously. Sadly, I'm lead to believe, immigrants feature in the statistics, as do Indigenous Australians a little bit too often. It would seem there are numerous reasons for this.

There obviously is a problem in this area with the way the immigrants pile together I. their accomodation , working and living in far less than ideal conditions. Wealthy taking advantage if the disadvantaged. Again, from what I saw, some of it is actually Thai on Thai but that doesn't make it any less deplorable and it's occurring in Australia, so it's an Australian problem. Some of these people are Permanent residents and citizens, who cares where they were born.

• Like 2

I personally knew three Thai women who were married with Australian men who regularly abused their wifes that led to seperation, so its not an uncommon practice.

In Australia it is reported that family violence is still a major issue. A quote from a recent media report from the URL below.

While street violence rates are falling, domestic violence rates are holding firm.

In Victoria, the police were called to 60,829 family violence incidents in 2012-13, laying charges in 25,574 of the cases. In NSW, the police recorded 27,808 domestic assaults in the 12 months to September. This hidden violence can become a silent killer. In Victoria alone, there were 45 homicides in family settings in 2012-13. Now compare that with one-punch assaults, which have claimed 91 lives in Australia since 2000.

In case anyone thought women weren't falling victim to alcohol-fuelled violence, the Australian Institute of Criminology says 44 per cent of all ''intimate partner homicides'' involve alcohol. That figure rises to a whopping 87 per cent of intimate partner homicides involving indigenous people.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/new-laws-will-also-hit-domestic-violence-20140125-31f9i.html

I seen how they treat the ladies... shameful.

Latest article from the SMH regarding this story:-

http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/burn-victim-told-family-friends-of-concerns-about-exboyfriend-20140311-34kgf.html

So she had an AVO out on her ex, and he broke it to attack her. It's a straight out domestic violence offence, and as stated in some of the posts above both involved parties were Thai.

A truly tragic outcome with folks who were both possibly hoping to make a new life with each other in a new country.

boycott the restaurants that employ them. Just near UTS where most get their master degrees and a haven for the Asian Mafia.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

dreadful...I must admit when I read the original story I assumed it was another ethnicity more known for this kind of attack

On the news in Australia it says the attacker was another Thai national who has residency and is known to police.

Send him to the super max in Goulbourn goal and let him share a cell with Ivan Milat...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app