Big Red Shirt Rally

cm das

I haven't seen this reported anywhere so I thought I'd post a heads up for anyone interested: I live very close to the new convention center off the canal road & there's a very big red shirt rally going on right now. Pick up trucks full of red shirts started arriving early this afternoon and by around 7 o'clock this evening there were hundreds of vehicles and thousands of people gathered at the convention center. Traffic flow in the area has been relatively smooth considering the size of the crowd. For the last 2 hours, from inside my house about 200 meters away I've been hearing the voices of speaker after speaker addressing the crowd. I can't catch what they're saying but the tone is loud & urgent (no surprise there). There are posters, flags and stickers all over the place with a slogan that translates something like "mobilize the people for democracy". So far there are no signs of trouble (and no signs of police) but it's not exactly comforting knowing that these folks have adopted my neighborhood as their rallying point. I don't begrudge people of any stripe their right to gather peacefully. Let's just hope that this is nothing more than that.

• Like 1

So far there are no signs of trouble (and no signs of police) but it's not exactly comforting knowing that these folks have adopted my neighborhood as their rallying point.

LOL! It's been announced for days. And they're at the 700 year Stadium, just like at many events before this one.

(You didn't move in just recently right? In which case it's more of a case of you adopting one of their rallying points as your neighborhood. biggrin.png )

And it's a great location of course, as it accommodates a lot of people without causing too much of a mess downtown. To comment on your concern though, trouble is not expected; at least insofar that there wasn't any at any of the previous rallies there. Of course you never know, there are many political 'players' out there in Thailand so for that reason I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to visit.

Now, that you didn't hear of it may just be due to the, shall we say, peculiarities of the English language media in Thailand. Here is a foreign source:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thailand-s-red-shirts-to/1024450.html

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

So far there are no signs of trouble (and no signs of police) but it's not exactly comforting knowing that these folks have adopted my neighborhood as their rallying point.

LOL! It's been announced for days. And they're at the 700 year Stadium, just like at many events before this one.

(You didn't move in just recently right? In which case it's more of a case of you adopting one of their rallying points as your neighborhood. biggrin.png )

No, it's at the convention center this time. I've been past many times throughout the day & seen the crowds with my own eyes. I wish they'd opted for the stadium as before.

I moved to this area before there was a convention center. Of course that doesn't make it "my" neighborhood but it's still a drag that this quiet part of town by the mountain has become an epicenter for local protests. This isn't the first time the reds have gathered at the convention center and I'm sure it won't be the last. Meanwhile, the voices from the stage are getting more strident as the evening wears on.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

(You didn't move in just recently right? In which case it's more of a case of you adopting one of their rallying points as your neighborhood. biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20> )

And it's a great location of course, as it accommodates a lot of people without causing too much of a mess downtown. To comment on your concern though, trouble is not expected; at least insofar that there wasn't any at any of the previous rallies there. Of course you never know, there are many political 'players' out there in Thailand so for that reason I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to visit.

Now, that you didn't hear of it may just be due to the, shall we say, peculiarities of the English language media in Thailand. Here is a foreign source:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thailand-s-red-shirts-to/1024450.html

Not the 700 year stadium tonight. Chiang mai FC were playing there.

Well it would seem the red shirts are trying to change their image. Not their shirt or allegiance.

The rally was held for a new group calling themselves the Democracy Protection Volunteers Group DPVG for short.

They are going out to other areas to get new members to sign up for their new movement.

Sounds to me like they have managed to fool each and every one of them. They will still obey Thaksin. He just forgot to tell them to change the color of their shirt. They claim to have a target goal of signing up 200,000 people.

I found it quite laughable as they have to travel all over the country to get only 200,000 people. The Anti Government had over 100,000 at their own expense come into Bangkok at one time. The red shirts had to truck in 10,000 to Chiang Mai the supposed stronghold of red shirtism. An area of guessing at 200,000 and they could not get 10,000 locals. Doesn't sound like they have a real lot of backers in their stronghold. Can't swear to it but seems to me the last local rally they had they could only attract 800.

he Anti Government had over 100,000 at their own expense come into Bangkok at one time.

yes, at their own expense...... the backers of the 'anti-gov' movement have very deep pockets,they can 'buy' a whole lot of people thumbsup.gif

he Anti Government had over 100,000 at their own expense come into Bangkok at one time.

yes, at their own expense...... the backers of the 'anti-gov' movement have very deep pockets,they can 'buy' a whole lot of people thumbsup.gif

And of course Thaksin can't.

And of course Thaksin can't.

Just consider the source. This is Chiang Mai and bound to be a lot of misinformation about the anti government protestors out there.

It is a shame we couldn't hear what they had to say. My money says if you understood Thai it would have been the same rhetoric as the red shirts spout. As I posted else where they are just trying to make more room for another leader. The present red shirt system does not leave enough room for a lot of nepotism.

Wonder if they had any good entertainment? Some of the anti protestors was darn good but seems to be lacking a lot lately.