LED light, is it dim-able ?

THAIPHUKET

No, you cannot dim mains LEDS with a conventional dimmer, unless the LEDs are marked as 'dimmable' (and expensive).

We simply have multiple lighting circuits and select which lights we have on for a particular situation.

• Like 2

Lowering the voltage won't dim those LEDS, the driver electronics will compensate and keep the brightness constant until the supply just gets too low and it gives up (light goes out).

This is great if you have an unstable supply (the lights don't flicker), not so good if you want to dim them (they don't).

230Vac Dimmable LED's require 0-10Vdc drivers, and normally an extra cable from the switch (2 core), although you have on the market wireless ones from the siwtch, but would still require a link cable between fittings. If you had more than one light that you want to dim

As Forky notes, the 10V controlled fittings (both LED and fluorescent) are by far the best solution, but of course are not plug-and-play replacements for conventional lamps.

There are mains LEDs that dim on a conventional dimmer, but many reports are less than satisfactory with some only working properly with specific dimmers, not seen them in Thailand anyway.

Similar issues with dimmable CFLs which are available here (not cheap).

Most LED string or rope lights (12 or 24 V) cannot be dimmed by lowering the voltage before the converter. The exception being the 220 V LED's listed above by Crossy. You can buy a dimmer for these but they are hard to find in the Pattaya area, and if you can find one they want a premium for them (found one at the LED store on Sukumvit across the street from the Father Ray foundation) but I wasn't about to pay 590 THB vice $4.88 on Ebay

I was able to find one with free shipping from HK

post-10942-0-25952100-1394413642_thumb.p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-DC-12V-24V-8A-Dimmer-Bright-Adjustable-Controller-Single-Color-LED-Light/370930824340?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20645%26meid%3D5375070641282931848%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9209%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D280903269672&rt=nc

• 5 months later...

I guess that much, may be hard to find here. Ikea has a wide range but not marked dim-able

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/20514/

Lower voltage should do it

Just adding to this thread, ikea thailand have the

LEDARE
LED bulb E27, dimmable, globe opal white at 299 baht.
(E27, replaces your current non dimmable screw in globe without needing a transformer)
There is also another cheaper option bioBULB.co.th also have a dimmable E27 version that states works with most dimmers. I havent seen these in Thai Watsudu, homeworks, my local electrical supplier has these for 220 bht each.

LED with DALI drivers, and a DALI PIR work very well indeed.

So you can DIM your lights and have an energy saving (presence detector) system at the same time. Link here

Very easy to wire in more than 1 dimming switch via 2 way rocker switches to control sets of lights.

Unfortunately dont know the availability in Thailand.

wiki links DALI

Are you LED drivers all running off their own power supply or are they individually connected to the mains. How you dim LED drivers is by gating the DC supply, and by gating I'll use a more accurate term PWM the power supply.

If they are all mains driven from a regular socket, then you are kinda limited in your options, if however they are supplied on a common rail DC, then you need a PWM dimmer or a new PSU with the ability integrated.