Windows xp finishing ,whats easy 7 or 8

i claudius

Thanks for all the advice ,i did realize that my pc was not all of a sudden going to stop working ,and to be honest all i really do on it is download movies ect ,come on here ,do my e mails read the papers and do my banking ,thats about it except the usuall looking up the occasional website.

Why do you want a new computer then?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What? I'm still running Windows 98 SE! coffee1.gif

One problem to watch for is drivers. I tried to install 8 on a 3 year old and still plenty fast desktop but there were no drivers available for some of the hardware such as the video and sound cards. Options were to go back to 7 or get new hardware. I opted for 7 Ultimate. I really like it.

Another problem I've mentioned here before is that I bought a new laptop with 8 pro factory installed and decided I'd rather have 7. So using diskpart at the command prompt I wiped the whole drive including the rescue partition. Then I activated, formatted, and installed 7. Then I found out there we almost NO drivers for that laptop for 7. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I had to order the rescue disk from HP. They needed my model number and serial number so that it would install and validate.

ON THESE NEW FACTORY 8 LAPTOPS the product key is hard coded in the cmos and validates as you install. The product key is encrypted in the registry. BTW I was surprised that the rescue disk came as an image on a memory stick and I had to set the bios to boot from it to install.

So obviously if you screw around with a new factory machine with factory installed 8, never wipe that rescue partition. In fact, image the disk as soon as you can.

Windows 8 uses windows 7 drivers.

Before investing in Win7or whatever check if your computer can take it. I don't know what happens if you use a Microsoft check and you have a pirated xp, there must be other checkup programs out there .

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

This is also good advice and only mentioned once in this thread. I have a laptop that was designed for Win7 and cannot be upgraded to Win8 because the graphics driver has no Win8 version even today. It's all part of the M$ money machine and besides upgrading o/s you will also need to upgrade hardware one day unless you disconnect your PC from any other external device or network.

Windows 8 uses windws 7 drivers.

Maybe youre talking about 8.1. That uses windows 8 drivers.

In any case, this isnt Microsoft fault, its the hardware manufacturers fault.

MJCM is right. Windows 8.1 is the fastest and most secure, and you can use Classic Shell to give it a menu just like Windows XP if you want (or Windows 7).

You will not be able to trust Windows XP from April 8th onwards, it is going to be riddled with security holes.

Obviously depends what you do on it.

He does,t do much of anythibg on it.

Most of you are riddled with security holes because most of you are running pirated windows. Regardless of the version.

I got some emails from friends asking me if they still can surf the web or send emails after April 8th. They really thought that the PC stops working after that date. But chicog is right, it will be unsafe to use and it will have more holes in it then a Swiss cheese wink.png

Sent from my iPad, so please excuse any typos

if there are any holes they exist already. no such thing like "will have more holes..."

coffee1.gif

What on earth are you on about? Microsoft discover flaws all the time. That's why they issue updates on a monthly basis (and include them in Service Packs ho ho ho).

From April onwards, whenever they issue a patch for Vista and Win 7/8, the hackers will be looking to see if the flaw is in XP - and Microsoft will not be fixing it.

Doesnt matter. If youre dumb enough to do banking on the internet you deserve to get hacked. And if you do, by the time MS patches it its too late.

How is he going to get infected? By doing what exactly?

Not being a great tecy ,i have been using windows xp for years ,nice and easy ,but now they are stoping the upgrades ect ,will it be safe for us nerds or should we go to another system ? and whats the easiest for a desktop user ,windows 7 or 8 which i see is being updated to 8.1 any ideas? and if we take it in to be changed will we lose any data?

My advice to you is to forget about it. Just forget it.

Erase that desktop you have and donate it to your school. Keep the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Then wait a little bit and get a Surface 2, with the type cover.

Finished.

Its time to move on.

Why not give Linux a try? I ran a Microsoft OS from the beginning and up to and including WinXP, but having worked for AT&T where I worked with unix I finally gave Linux a try about 8 years ago, and have never looked back. My systems run 24/7 and the only down time I have is when power is cut and my UPS is consumed. I've installed a Linux OS on several friends computers, and in most cases they use one language, and a family member uses another which Linux allows each user to set their login to open the OS in a different language. A Swedish friend came over with a broken Win 7 OS and I suggested installing a Linux OS, but he claimed he didn't want to learn a new OS, but asked to use my computer to read his email while I worked on fixing Win 7, so I booted my computer with a Swedish menu and left him to read his email, and he never even recognized that he was using a Linux OS. After getting his OS working he has since had to come back several times to fix it again, and is now thinking about giving Linux a try. My son has both Windows and Linux on his computer, and uses Linux on the Internet, and Windows only for playing games.

Why not give Linux a try? I ran a Microsoft OS from the beginning and up to and including WinXP, but having worked for AT&T where I worked with unix I finally gave Linux a try about 8 years ago, and have never looked back. My systems run 24/7 and the only down time I have is when power is cut and my UPS is consumed. I've installed a Linux OS on several friends computers, and in most cases they use one language, and a family member uses another which Linux allows each user to set their login to open the OS in a different language. A Swedish friend came over with a broken Win 7 OS and I suggested installing a Linux OS, but he claimed he didn't want to learn a new OS, but asked to use my computer to read his email while I worked on fixing Win 7, so I booted my computer with a Swedish menu and left him to read his email, and he never even recognized that he was using a Linux OS. After getting his OS working he has since had to come back several times to fix it again, and is now thinking about giving Linux a try. My son has both Windows and Linux on his computer, and uses Linux on the Internet, and Windows only for playing games.

As long as you don't pirate it, Windows is rock solid.

Ive never had a broken windows, whatever that is, our viruses.

Your advice isn't very good since the last time you used Windows was ages ago. Windows is miles better now. Eventually you are going to HAVE to go to Windows if you're on Linux.

Even if you mess up Windows, there's very little a System Restore can't fix.

Edited by computerguy

Your advice isn't very good since the last time you used Windows was ages ago. Windows is miles better now. Eventually you are going to HAVE to go to Windows if you're on Linux.

I wasn't talking about a pirate version.

By broken, I mean his OS wouldn't boot at all.

My advice was "Why not give Linux a try?" What is "not very good" about that?

I didn't say I haven't used Windows, Vista, 7, or 8, simply I don't run it on my own computers.

I recently bought a new notebook with Win 8 pre-installed, and didn't find it to be any better, or for that matter as good as XP, so I removed it and replaced it with a Linux OS.

Why would you HAVE to go to Windows if you're on Linux? I've found NOTHING at all that I cannot do with Linux that would require Windows, and most of what I do can be done as easy or more easily, for free with Linux. I'd really like to know your reasoning behind "eventually HAVING" to go to Windows.

I never have to do a system restore at all, don't have to run AV programs, clean the registry, defrag the hard disk, or reinstall the OS which 'sometimes' is the easiest way to resolve problems with Windows.

All I was suggesting is give Linux a try, you can do that at zero cost, and if you don't like it you don't have to install it, and if you do you can use the money spent on Windows and apps for Windows to purchase other things.

I got some emails from friends asking me if they still can surf the web or send emails after April 8th. They really thought that the PC stops working after that date. But chicog is right, it will be unsafe to use and it will have more holes in it then a Swiss cheese wink.png

Sent from my iPad, so please excuse any typos

if there are any holes they exist already. no such thing like "will have more holes..."

coffee1.gif

What on earth are you on about? Microsoft discover flaws all the time. That's why they issue updates on a monthly basis (and include them in Service Packs ho ho ho).

From April onwards, whenever they issue a patch for Vista and Win 7/8, the hackers will be looking to see if the flaw is in XP - and Microsoft will not be fixing it.

Doesnt matter. If youre dumb enough to do banking on the internet you deserve to get hacked. And if you do, by the time MS patches it its too late.

How is he going to get infected? By doing what exactly?

By clicking on the wrong link for example.

You do know not every flaw that gets fixed is in the wild beforehand, don't you?

rolleyes.gif

I didn't say I haven't used Windows, Vista, 7, or 8, simply I don't run it on my own computers.

I recently bought a new notebook with Win 8 pre-installed, and didn't find it to be any better, or for that matter as good as XP, so I removed it and replaced it with a Linux OS.

Why would you HAVE to go to Windows if you're on Linux? I've found NOTHING at all that I cannot do with Linux that would require Windows, and most of what I do can be done as easy or more easily, for free with Linux. I'd really like to know your reasoning behind "eventually HAVING" to go to Windows.

I never have to do a system restore at all, don't have to run AV programs, clean the registry, defrag the hard disk, or reinstall the OS which 'sometimes' is the easiest way to resolve problems with Windows.

All I was suggesting is give Linux a try, you can do that at zero cost, and if you don't like it you don't have to install it, and if you do you can use the money spent on Windows and apps for Windows to purchase other things.

Linux would be a really good alternative on old hardware for people who simply browse and read emails.

And it has its own patching process which is generally unobtrusive.

As you may have noticed whenever a question is asked on here you get a variety of answers which usually leave you back at square one, and now the Linux lot have joined in it gets even more confusing. blink.png

Depending on your setup why not buy an additional drive and use that to load the new operating system. Take out the drive with XP plug in the new drive and load the system you chose.

You can play around with the new system as much as you like, just swap back the XP drive when you want to do some work so you'll never be without a working computer.

When you feel comfortable with the new system you can use the old XP drive as extra storage or backup.

biggrin.png

By clicking on the wrong link for example.

You do know not every flaw that gets fixed is in the wild beforehand, don't you?

rolleyes.gif

You just repeated what i said. By the time MS patches it is too late. That means its already out there.

But that's only true IF you get infected.

On what wrong link? Did you read the OP?

Edited by computerguy

As you may have noticed whenever a question is asked on here you get a variety of answers which usually leave you back at square one, and now the Linux lot have joined in it gets even more confusing. blink.png

Depending on your setup why not buy an additional drive and use that to load the new operating system. Take out the drive with XP plug in the new drive and load the system you chose.

You can play around with the new system as much as you like, just swap back the XP drive when you want to do some work so you'll never be without a working computer.

When you feel comfortable with the new system you can use the old XP drive as extra storage or backup.

biggrin.png

Genius. The guy says he is non technical And you say this. Haha

Haha...

Says the guy who just told us his kids have to go to Windows for Games.

Defrag.? You're joking right? You haven't used Windows since 1990's. The last time someone had a fragmented drive Clinton was in Kuwait.

Heres a reason you HAVE to go to WINDOWS. It's called Microsoft Office. And please, don't tell me Open Office is the same thing, because it isn't. The formatting always gets screwed up. Not even Office for Mac gets the formatting right, and that's made by Microsoft.

I don't run any AV in my computer. I just use it. Windows already has defender. Macs have Gatekeeper.

I've never had a virus in my computer.

And for you to say that Windows 8, now 8.1, is the same as XP, just confirms that the last time you used Windows was 1998.

I've never had a computer not boot at all. Obviously something he did. Actually, since Windows 7 Windows fixes itself at boot up if there are problems.

The only time i remember a boot up issue was with an Asus i had. One day it said, Windows 7, That Windows found problems and was repairing them. After a couple of minutes it restarted. Back to desktop. No problem.

Edited by computerguy

Linux would be a really good alternative on old hardware for people who simply browse and read emails.

And it has its own patching process which is generally unobtrusive.

Lets test it.

Why dont you explain to this non technical person, how do you install VLC on Ubuntu.

Edited by computerguy

Oh I bow to your superior knowledge, based on the last few posts and your nick you are obviously a professional...... something.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Linux, you must be joking.

That's just a free POS for geeks to play computer tech.

If he has aging hardware, then stay on XP. If he gets a virus is his fault. It usually is.

You don't get viruses simply by clicking on the wrong link, as you put it.

If you have XP, you'll need extra help. Buy bitdefender then.

I said BUY, not download the torrent. BUY. Torrents are the door to all the viruses. Pirated software and porno. That's it. Also thumb drives, but that's why you buy bitdefender.

Edited by computerguy

i claudius, if you're still reading, what do you use your computer for? If you're heavy into gaming, perhaps you should stick with XP.

I don't know why some people get so adamant and upset when Linux is mentioned, but I still would recommend giving a Live CD/DVD Linux distribution a try, and you may like it and if not nothing has been spent other than a little time.

It might help to know what CPU your computer has, and what programs use need to run, should you decide to try a Linux distribution, and generally it is quite easy to get help with any problems or questions from other Linux users should the need arise.

OK I wasn't really interested in responding to "computerguy"'s posts last night since the footy was on. Here are my responses:

You just repeated what i said. By the time MS patches it is too late. That means its already out there.

Clearly you got all confused by my reply, so let me address the two points separately:

(1) Clicking on a bad link is the most prevalent cause of malware infection nowadays.

(2) Not all flaws are identified in the wild before they get fixed; Microsoft, Facebook and others all run financial incentive programs to encourage security researchers and hackers to report flaws they find, and these rewards are usually paid once the fix is applied. In Facebook's case they actually send the finder an uncharged Debit card, and then credit the money to them (Source: Facebook's Head of Information Security at the 2012 FIRST conference in Malta).

Heres a reason you HAVE to go to WINDOWS. It's called Microsoft Office. And please, don't tell me Open Office is the same thing, because it isn't. The formatting always gets screwed up. Not even Office for Mac gets the formatting right, and that's made by Microsoft.

Not only are LibreOffice and Kingsoft Office perfectly adequate alternatives to Office, you've chosen to highlight a factor that probably affects <0.1% of users, most of whom do not create heavily formatted documents and therefore don't need to worry about it.

Why dont you explain to this non technical person, how do you install VLC on Ubuntu.

(1) Open the Ubuntu Software Center.

(2) Search for "VLC".

(3) Click "Install".

Wow, you're right, that is so complicated.

Explain this to him

Explain the contents of a Directory listing in a command shell? I mean I could, but what would be the point exactly?

I could paste a picture of a Windows Command Prompt with a Directory listing in it and it would make as much sense.

Perhaps you could explain what your point was, because you seem to like trying to demonstrate that you are a "computerguy".

Although so far you're making a pig's arse of it by the way.

biggrin.png

• Like 2

biggrin.png

Genius. The guy says he is non technical And you say this. Haha

I'm sure you have a point there, but as I said "depending on you set up".

I think anyone who can change a light bulb would be able to swap a drive. It is not a "computer nerd" thing to do. Some desktops these days are made so you don't even need a screwdriver.

A couple of screws to release the side panel and you don't even have to take out the old drive just unplug the two cables, power and data, and plug in the new drive. Lots of help on the Internet.

Depending on the length of the cables the new drive can be placed temporally on a small plastic bowl (not metal) or just stood on edge. HDD's can be used horizontally or vertically but not at an angle.

This is for a desktop setup where components are easy to get at, laptops are a bit more difficult but the idea is the same.

The main worry for anyone doing an upgrade is that after hours of work the upgrade fails and you are left without a computer, can't even Google for advice. w00t.gif

By swapping round you drives you can always just put back your original drive and you are good to go again.

Just as an extra, if you have more than one drive I would suggest disconnecting all additional drives when upgrading/installing so when you get the warning about "This will erase all your data" you can't make the mistake of clicking on the wrong drive.

The thing with disconnecting all your drives and using a blank is that it gives the confidence to "do it" knowing that whatever you do, however it gets messed up you just have to put back you original drive and nothing is lost.

smile.png

It's a sensible enough suggestion, and drives are so cheap these days it's no longer a big investment. And he can always take it to a local PC shop and pay a few hundred baht to get someone to do the installation for him; money for old rope to those boys.

Edited by Chicog

I received this confirmation today.

THIS IS WORTH NOTING…….. DON’T GET CAUGHT!

IT HAD TO END SOMETIME - MICROSOFT CANNOT SUPPORT IT FOREVER.

EXPIRY DATE IS 8 APRIL 2014

CONTAINED IN THIS LINK ARE THREE PARAGRAPHS WORTH NOTING.

The operating system has been the software in many home and work PCs but for die-hard users who continue to use XP, danger that way lies.

The problem for people who continue to use (internet-connected) XP after support ends will be a growing number of security vulnerabilities that will not be solved by the periodic updates and hot-fixes from Microsoft. Nor will those users be able to get technical support for any other problems they might have with XP.

MORE HERE —

http://theconversation.com/the-end-is-nigh-for-windows-xp-are-you-ready-24104?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Latest+from+The+Conversation+for+17+March+2014&utm_content=Latest+from+The+Conversation+for+17+March+2014+CID_fead9e9e103c8e9a688936d87f1b617b&utm_source=campaign_monitor&utm_term=The%20end%20is%20nigh%20for%20Windows%20XP%20are%20you%20ready

OK I wasn't really interested in responding to "computerguy"'s posts last night since the footy was on. Here are my responses:

Clearly you got all confused by my reply, so let me address the two points separately:

(1) Clicking on a bad link is the most prevalent cause of malware infection nowadays.

(2) Not all flaws are identified in the wild before they get fixed; Microsoft, Facebook and others all run financial incentive programs to encourage security researchers and hackers to report flaws they find, and these rewards are usually paid once the fix is applied. In Facebook's case they actually send the finder an uncharged Debit card, and then credit the money to them (Source: Facebook's Head of Information Security at the 2012 FIRST conference in Malta).

Not only are LibreOffice and Kingsoft Office perfectly adequate alternatives to Office, you've chosen to highlight a factor that probably affects <0.1% of users, most of whom do not create heavily formatted documents and therefore don't need to worry about it.

(1) Open the Ubuntu Software Center.

(2) Search for "VLC".

(3) Click "Install".

Wow, you're right, that is so complicated.

Explain this to him

Explain the contents of a Directory listing in a command shell? I mean I could, but what would be the point exactly?

I could paste a picture of a Windows Command Prompt with a Directory listing in it and it would make as much sense.

Perhaps you could explain what your point was, because you seem to like trying to demonstrate that you are a "computerguy".

Although so far you're making a pig's arse of it by the way.

biggrin.png

He doesn't need Linux. Linux is not a real OS. That's why nobody has it.

He needs a new computer.

Linux sucks balls. It's the worst advice ever.

He'll never be 100% compatible. Ever. Libre Office and Open Office mess up the simplest of documents. They're garbage.

Edited by computerguy

Yes, well that's just poorly though through opinion isn't it?

You clearly didn't know how easy it is to install software on Linux, so why should we listen to anything else you have to say?

When was the last time you opened even a basic form document in LibreOffice or KingSoft Office, which were the ones of which I spoke?

"Linux sucks balls".

Not as much as your nick sunshine.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Linux is not an operating system?

Yet the majority of the worlds fastest supercomputers run Linux, most servers, CERN, and many governments are beginning to move to a version of Linux OS.

Why toss an old computer if it still works, I just put Linux on a friends notebook which had an old CPU and was incapable of running any of the newer versions of Windows. If your CPU supports PAE you should have no trouble installing most any distribution, and if not I believe Debian still provides a kernel that doesn't require PAE (addressing more than 4GB memory).

Linux is not an operating system?

Yet the majority of the worlds fastest supercomputers run Linux, most servers, CERN, and many governments are beginning to move to a version of Linux OS.

Why toss an old computer if it still works, I just put Linux on a friends notebook which had an old CPU and was incapable of running any of the newer versions of Windows. If your CPU supports PAE you should have no trouble installing most any distribution, and if not I believe Debian still provides a kernel that doesn't require PAE (addressing more than 4GB memory).

He doesn't need a super computer. He needs to check his email.

Either stay with XP. Or get a Surface.

That's it.

Did you miss the part where he said he was NON TECHNICAL?

There is absolutely no reason to get Linux. XP is fine. Stop trying to over complicate things.

The only guy making any sense here is Daffy.

Leave the computer alone.

If he wants new windows, get a new computer. He'll have to eventually.

Linux is a ridiculous alternative.

Edited by computerguy
  • Like 1