Windows xp finishing ,whats easy 7 or 8

i claudius

PS If the server admins look, I am running 8.1 with classic shell and I hate it. There are too many hassles.

Beotch #1 is that there are precious few drivers for it for legacy hardware. I had to replace my printer.I I had to replace a couple of PCI cards in what had been a Win 7 Ultimate machine.

Windows Image backup with a scheduler is gone, although there is a way to find out how it will image the %system% drive. Finding out how to make a recovery USB stick is a lot harder and making a recovery DVD is for kings with castles and servants.

Bottom line, 8 and 8.1 remind me of Windows ME and 2000, and I'm waiting for the quick new release they got. That was XP and Server 2003.

Cheers

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know a site or way to download all the Win XP updates since SP3 as an .exe to be installed offline at the user's leisure? An unofficial 'SP4', as it were?

Sometimes people collect them all together as a single .exe to be installed later on.

Does anyone know a site or way to download all the Win XP updates since SP3 as an .exe to be installed offline at the user's leisure? An unofficial 'SP4', as it were?

Sometimes people collect them all together as a single .exe to be installed later on.

Why bother, they're probably all going to start going obsolete in about one month's time.

Edited by Chicog

I dont know if that makes any sense but

Did any one conciser the following? as people drop out from using Win XP and the number of people using it becomes less and less, so will the threats being written for the XP OS

Maybe WSUS Offline Update ?

Link to Documentation: http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

Link to Download: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

I dont know if that makes any sense but

Did any one conciser the following? as people drop out from using Win XP and the number of people using it becomes less and less, so will the threats being written for the XP OS

Well there are a couple of issues:

(1) Lots of high value targets like banks and industrial control systems are stuck with XP for the foreseeable future.

(2) With Microsoft releasing patches for Vista, Win 7 and 8, it isn't going to take a lot of work to find the matching flaws in Win XP.

When XP SP2 was retired, there was a big spike in infections, so expect a similar one with XP.

What is more scary is that 20% of known malware came from last year, I think the record was 82,000 different variants in a single day.

Not a particularly encouraging trend, is it?

smile.png