Windows xp finishing ,whats easy 7 or 8

i claudius

Not being a great tecy ,i have been using windows xp for years ,nice and easy ,but now they are stoping the upgrades ect ,will it be safe for us nerds or should we go to another system ? and whats the easiest for a desktop user ,windows 7 or 8 which i see is being updated to 8.1 any ideas? and if we take it in to be changed will we lose any data?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure somebody smarter will be along in a while.

I see no need stop using XP just because Microsoft stops support, that just means there will be no more upgrades or patches, your system will not suddenly stop working, you will not notice any difference.

If you feel the need to upgrade I would go for Win7. Win8 seems to be a radical change that many do not like with fair number of problems that may or may not have been fixed I Win8.1. Have read quite a few cases where people have changed back to Win7.

To keep your data in an upgrade you will have to save all your personal stuff on another disk, memory stick or CD so you can reload it after the upgrade.

smile.png

• Like 2

I am ruining windows 8.1 and I love it, It loads a lot faster than my win 7 and it has all the functionality of win 8 and win 7, I almost never use the win8 apps, I almost always work on the desk top which is almost identical to win 7.

It takes a couple of days to get used to it, Plenty of tutorials on YouTube, and once you get used to it , you love it.

Having said all that I should also mention that I am running it on a new lop top with a touch screen, (which I almost never use) I 7 processor and 16 megs of ram.

Dont know how it would run on an older machine.

MJCM is right. Windows 8.1 is the fastest and most secure, and you can use Classic Shell to give it a menu just like Windows XP if you want (or Windows 7).

You will not be able to trust Windows XP from April 8th onwards, it is going to be riddled with security holes.

Obviously depends what you do on it.

Edited by Chicog

I see no need stop using XP just because Microsoft stops support, that just means there will be no more upgrades or patches, your system will not suddenly stop working, you will not notice any difference.

I would have thought you'd recommend he buys a Mac rather than give him this terrible advice.

wink.png

I got some emails from friends asking me if they still can surf the web or send emails after April 8th. They really thought that the PC stops working after that date. But chicog is right, it will be unsafe to use and it will have more holes in it then a Swiss cheese ;)

Sent from my iPad, so please excuse any typos

Go with Win 8.1. I like it...only takes one click to jump back and forth between Desktop mode (Win 7) and Start screen/Metro mode (Win 8.1). There is a lot of good in both modes. Get the best of both worlds...go with Win 8.1. Plus, why upgrade from XP to a several years old operating system (Win 7) versus the latest OS (Win 8.1).

I would have thought you'd recommend he buys a Mac rather than give him this terrible advice.

wink.png

Oh yea, on Apr 9 if you are still running XP your computer will become malware infested and probably melt by midnight...or NOT!!!

• Like 2

wink.png

Oh yea, on Apr 9 if you are still running XP your computer will become malware infested and probably melt by midnight...or NOT!!!

Bit of a silly answer, as I've never known a computer to melt because of a malware infection.

Give up passwords, etc., send out thousands of spam and phishing messages, yes, and that's mostly what they're after.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Chicog

Before investing in Win7or whatever check if your computer can take it. I don't know what happens if you use a Microsoft check and you have a pirated xp, there must be other checkup programs out there .

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

^ Here a link to the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

here a link to the Win7 Sys Req: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

here a link to the Win8.1 Sys Req: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/system-requirements

Edited by MJCM

Thanks for all the advice ,i did realize that my pc was not all of a sudden going to stop working ,and to be honest all i really do on it is download movies ect ,come on here ,do my e mails read the papers and do my banking ,thats about it except the usuall looking up the occasional website.

Thanks for all the advice ,i did realize that my pc was not all of a sudden going to stop working ,and to be honest all i really do on it is download movies ect ,come on here ,do my e mails read the papers and do my banking ,thats about it except the usuall looking up the occasional website.

tongue.png

wink.png

the advice is not terrible but quite rational. i am using without any problems XP since it was made available and except for installing service pack 2 and 3 never let Bill Gates (or successors) meddle in my PC with stupid "upgrades".

wink.png

not to forget that XP users have to pay more for Chang, are charged higher bar fines and will be the favourite targets of thieving ladyboys between 2 and 4 a.m.

ermm.gif

I got some emails from friends asking me if they still can surf the web or send emails after April 8th. They really thought that the PC stops working after that date. But chicog is right, it will be unsafe to use and it will have more holes in it then a Swiss cheese wink.png

if there are any holes they exist already. no such thing like "will have more holes..."

coffee1.gif

wink.png

the advice is not terrible but quite rational. i am using without any problems XP since it was made available and except for installing service pack 2 and 3 never let Bill Gates (or successors) meddle in my PC with stupid "upgrades".

What do you think is in Service Packs?

:)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And let's not forget about holes in the software/programs you run on any operating system (XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, etc) which Windows has no control over. Many of us are probably running programs/software that hasn't been updated for a l.....o......n......g time.

I got some emails from friends asking me if they still can surf the web or send emails after April 8th. They really thought that the PC stops working after that date. But chicog is right, it will be unsafe to use and it will have more holes in it then a Swiss cheese wink.png

if there are any holes they exist already. no such thing like "will have more holes..."

coffee1.gif

What on earth are you on about? Microsoft discover flaws all the time. That's why they issue updates on a monthly basis (and include them in Service Packs ho ho ho).

From April onwards, whenever they issue a patch for Vista and Win 7/8, the hackers will be looking to see if the flaw is in XP - and Microsoft will not be fixing it.

• Like 1

And let's not forget about holes in the software/programs you run on any operating system (XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, etc) which Windows has no control over. Many of us are probably running programs/software that hasn't been updated for a l.....o......n......g time.

That's true, but there are free tools out there to take care of that if you can be bothered.

As others said: you are running XP, probably a fairly old PC and some SW that might not be compatible with Win 8.x.

Be prepared for some surprises and check thoroughly before touching a running system.

Don't forget that Win 7 and 8.x have much higher requirements for memory and CPU speed to run smooth.

Edited by KhunBENQ

That's true, but there are free tools out there to take care of that if you can be bothered.

Sure...but those programs don't include the money to buy the updated/new version software. Plus, most software comes with an Update Now/Check for Update button now days...and a lot of time you are told you are up to date (sure...they stopped updating your version X-years ago and they then suggest you buy their new version which has new bells and whistles).

Use a good firewall and antivirus.

That's a given but that doesn't protect you 100%. Nothing really does. It's all about getting as close as possible.

Signature-based antivirus is just window dressing these days.

Sure...but those programs don't include the money to buy the updated/new version software. Plus, most software comes with an Update Now/Check for Update button now days...and a lot of time you are told you are up to date (sure...they stopped updating your version X-years ago and they then suggest you buy their new version which has new bells and whistles).

Up to you if you want to run out of date software that might have flaws.

I choose not to.

Before investing in Win7or whatever check if your computer can take it. I don't know what happens if you use a Microsoft check and you have a pirated xp, there must be other checkup programs out there .

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

This is also good advice and only mentioned once in this thread. I have a laptop that was designed for Win7 and cannot be upgraded to Win8 because the graphics driver has no Win8 version even today. It's all part of the M$ money machine and besides upgrading o/s you will also need to upgrade hardware one day unless you disconnect your PC from any other external device or network.

• Like 1

@i claudius, if you feel the need to change then go with Linux, nowadays they are as easy as Windoofs (doof is german and means stupid) and also there you don't have the NSA sitting in the middle of it (except Ubuntu, that's reporting all activities to Amazon).

@Chicog, excuse my question but are you MS-Agent?

<snip>

@Chicog, excuse my question but are you MS-Agent?

offtopic2.gif

Sorry but that is utter B.S. Someone is giving good advice on a forum, and immediately is accused of working for them ! bah.gif

This is a forum where people try to help each other or don't you think that way ???

wai.gif