Windows xp finishing ,whats easy 7 or 8

i claudius

Sorry, I didn't realise I was being too complicated for you.

cheesy.gif

I guess he's trying to tell us Windows is the OS for idiots, although it takes no more effort than to stick a DVD in the drive and power up the computer to try a Linux Live DVD, and the install if liked takes no more effort than installing a Windows OS.

I've at least tried every OS Microsoft has produced, and XP was the last one I liked, but having tried several Linux distributions, some which I didn't like, I settled on Linux Mint with the Mate Desktop, but may soon give Cinnamon a try. To each their own, but if you haven't tried something, it makes no sense to knock it.

I think it best to ignore computerguy, as he is in reality windowsguy.

I'm curious to know what computer i claudius is using, and what he uses his computer for, as then it might be easier to suggest something that would suit him best, as WinXP support is going away and problems will only become more difficult to resolve as time passes.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get the feeling some people write off linux without ever having tried it, and they don't realise that even on a crap old PC with 512Mb of RAM you can stick on a Linux build pretty easily and do the simple things like browsing and email as easily as you can on Windows, with a GUI to boot.

Fortunately I'm constantly exposed to both so I get to see the good and the bad sides.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Linux to someone whose needs are minimal and who doesn't want to have to go out and buy new hardware. It's not as if there aren't a million web sites where you can look up simple answers to most questions.

• Like 1

Going back to the OP:

WIndows 7 is the best bet on older hardware, and it's requirements are quite relaxed (it will run on an Atom processor with 2Gb).

If you go the new hardware route, get something with Windows 8.1 and install Classic Shell (or an alternative), and you can have your old XP menu back with the benefits of the fastest and most secure Windows behind it.

Just as a reminder, this is this weeks Vulnerability summary, and none of those Microsoft fixes will be available from April for Windows XP.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB14-077

However, the bit I posted above is interesting: Banks are paying MS gazillions to patch XP until they can upgrade. Hardly blackmail but who can blame them, they've been warning companies about it since 2009.

I think the fact that they are making some serious extra coin out of it suggests a high probability that they won't be pressured into doing any more public updates (although they are maintaining MSE updates for a year).

biggrin.png

Going back to the OP:

WIndows 7 is the best bet on older hardware, and it's requirements are quite relaxed (it will run on an Atom processor with 2Gb).

If you go the new hardware route, get something with Windows 8.1 and install Classic Shell (or an alternative), and you can have your old XP menu back with the benefits of the fastest and most secure Windows behind it.

Just as a reminder, this is this weeks Vulnerability summary, and none of those Microsoft fixes will be available from April for Windows XP.

However, the bit I posted above is interesting: Banks are paying MS gazillions to patch XP until they can upgrade. Hardly blackmail but who can blame them, they've been warning companies about it since 2009.

I think the fact that they are making some serious extra coin out of it suggests a high probability that they won't be pressured into doing any more public updates (although they are maintaining MSE updates for a year).

biggrin.png

You know nothing of his computer. How do you know any of his hardware has windows 8 drivers?

Why do you insist on making this so complicated?

BTW, did you actually READ that list of vulnerabilities? Tell us which one of those MS fixes? Does MS fix Chrome vulnerabilities? Do they fix adobe flash vulnerabilities?

Give me a break. Stop scaring this guy. Go away.

Edited by computerguy

cheesy.gif

I guess he's trying to tell us Windows is the OS for idiots, although it takes no more effort than to stick a DVD in the drive and power up the computer to try a Linux Live DVD, and the install if liked takes no more effort than installing a Windows OS.

I've at least tried every OS Microsoft has produced, and XP was the last one I liked, but having tried several Linux distributions, some which I didn't like, I settled on Linux Mint with the Mate Desktop, but may soon give Cinnamon a try. To each their own, but if you haven't tried something, it makes no sense to knock it.

I think it best to ignore computerguy, as he is in reality windowsguy.

I'm curious to know what computer i claudius is using, and what he uses his computer for, as then it might be easier to suggest something that would suit him best, as WinXP support is going away and problems will only become more difficult to resolve as time passes.

Nothing will become simpler by learning a new operating system.

Eventually he'll need a new computer.

Stay with XP for a couple of years and he'll be ready to get something new.

Edited by Rimmer
Reported homophobic

cheesy.gif

You don't get it.

For HIM, too complicated for him.

You and your friend are making this about YOU and your love for a crappy Mickey mouse fake OS.

Think about the USER first.

He doesn't need to do anything but keep a good security suite, like bitdefender, up to date for a couple of more years.

Nothing more. You're wasting time posting all this Linux boloney. Stop it, it's boring.

Edited by computerguy

Some useful information about staying with XP:-

http://greenarrow.pcpitstopmail.com/ss/display.php?List=8&N=558

smile.png

Sorry Daffy D, but that page just displays this

attachicon.gifcap.JPG

Sent from my iPad, so please excuse any typo.

Click on the Blue Headings:-

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

smile.png

And I guess that was impossible to link to directly?

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2014/03/13/expert-advice-windows-xp-eol/?xpexperts=

:wai:

Sent from my iPad, so please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM

Going back to the OP:

biggrin.png

You know nothing of his computer. How do you know any of his hardware has windows 8 drivers?

BTW, did you actually READ that list of vulnerabilities? Tell us which one of those MS fixes? Does MS fix Chrome vulnerabilities? Do they fix adobe flash vulnerabilities?

Tell me self-styled "computerguy", can you even read?

"WIndows 7 is the best bet on older hardware"

"If you go the new hardware route, get something with Windows 8.1 "

And what are you banging on about Chrome and Flash for, I posted a table that has the weeks flaws in it, and they just happen to be mentioned along with the Microsoft ones.

You're the one who claims formatting is a big issue, you should know by now trying to cut and paste from a web page to a TV comment is mostly a waste of time.

If you have things like Chrome, you need to patch that too, it isn't rocket science, Chrome updates itself, and IE now contains Flash, so it's doubtful you even need it installed.

You seem to think everyone isn't as sharp as you, yet you're the one coming across as the idiot.

And you keep deriding Linux and calling it a mickey mouse OS, but your earlier sarcastic question about installing VLC proves that you know very little about current Linux distros; and that makes you look a little bit dim when you try and come across as the know all.

As for recommending an anti-virus solution as the answer, now you've really proven that you have no idea about the current security climate and just how ineffective most antivirus packages are nowadays. Obviously it's not your forte. I'm struggling to see what is.

Hint: When you're already in a hole, it's a good time to stop digging.

biggrin.png

smile.png

Good to see most people are erring on the side of caution.

I wonder if Microsoft will let the horror stories ensue for a while, to generate Windows 7 and New PC sales; and then when they determine that only a hardcore of the stubborn or the stupid (or both) remain, hand XP over the Open Source Community.

Naaah, what am I thinking?

cheesy.gif

Going back to the OP:

biggrin.png

Tell me self-styled "computerguy", can you even read?

"WIndows 7 is the best bet on older hardware"

"If you go the new hardware route, get something with Windows 8.1 "

And what are you banging on about Chrome and Flash for, I posted a table that has the weeks flaws in it, and they just happen to be mentioned along with the Microsoft ones.

You're the one who claims formatting is a big issue, you should know by now trying to cut and paste from a web page to a TV comment is mostly a waste of time.

If you have things like Chrome, you need to patch that too, it isn't rocket science, Chrome updates itself, and IE now contains Flash, so it's doubtful you even need it installed.

You seem to think everyone isn't as sharp as you, yet you're the one coming across as the idiot.

And you keep deriding Linux and calling it a mickey mouse OS, but your earlier sarcastic question about installing VLC proves that you know very little about current Linux distros; and that makes you look a little bit dim when you try and come across as the know all.

As for recommending an anti-virus solution as the answer, now you've really proven that you have no idea about the current security climate and just how ineffective most antivirus packages are nowadays. Obviously it's not your forte. I'm struggling to see what is.

Hint: When you're already in a hole, it's a good time to stop digging.

biggrin.png

1-You're the one who brought up flash and Chrome vulnerabilities in XP. You said Microsoft wouldn't patch those. That's how much you know. Now you're talking about flash being part of windows 8.1. You sound like a lunatic who knows nothing.

2-You still are just thinking of yourself. This user has 0 interest in some Linux crap.

3- he just needs to keep his protection. Whatever he has, up to date. NOTHING will happen to him by doing nothing.

4- what does he know about installing VLC on Linux? That's the point. Why does he need to learn anything new? That's the point. You really don't get anything. It's funny.

5- now you're bringing newer hardware. Haha...

That's what I said genius. And the newer hardware already COMES with windows 8.1. And you know 0 about windows 8.1 he have you ever even touched it?

Now you're going to say you use it everyday and contradict yourself again.

Go on.

Edited by computerguy

smile.png

Good to see most people are erring on the side of caution.

I wonder if Microsoft will let the horror stories ensue for a while, to generate Windows 7 and New PC sales; and then when they determine that only a hardcore of the stubborn or the stupid (or both) remain, hand XP over the Open Source Community.

Naaah, what am I thinking?

cheesy.gif

Haha

Another link you didn't read.

Lot of that is people saying to just stick with windows and keep their anti virus suites up to date. Some mention firewalls, and added to just disable IE. That's it.

Actually one said he knows people still running Windows 98 without any problems. That's in one of the ask Leo links.

If he ends up accessing the internet through a smart phone or another device and uses the computer only for the occasional document and never uses it for the internet then there no reason to ever upgrade.

Edited by computerguy

(1) Open the Ubuntu Software Center.

(2) Search for "VLC".

(3) Click "Install".

Wow, you're right, that is so complicated.

Haha

Yes right. So easy.

I don't have Linux and even I know that's not true. VLC is just one example. The REALITY of dealing with Linux is this

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=97158

Sometimes the Software Manager doesn't have the program or version you need. If this happens you can almost always find a PPA repository that you can add, or download the program you need in several package formats to install manually (if it comes to this try to make sure that you go to the package's official site as even on Linux there are malicious persons out there). The most common package formats are .rpm, .deb, and a tarball (files with an extension of .tgz, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, or similar). Linux Mint can use .deb and tarballs directly.

Add a PPA repository: A Personal Package Archive (PPA) is a repository that you can add to your system, so that you can install programs from it with the Software Manager. It is the easiest way to make more programs available on Linux Mint, and you can use all the Ubuntu PPAs on Linux Mint. PPAs are all hosted on Launchpad, which is used by popular software developers to upload their software.

On the forums you will often see suggestions to add a PPA repository, to make some new program, or a newer version of a program, installable. For example, to install the Y PPA Manager, the commands shared would be:

CODE: SELECT ALL

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/y-ppa-manager

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install y-ppa-manager

From Linux Mint 15 adding a PPA is even easier: open Software Sources from your menu and click on the PPA button and you can directly add the PPA there without the need to use the terminal for above commands. For example, to add the above PPA you would use the text "ppa:webupd8team/y-ppa-manager".

To find PPAs for the programs you want, you can either do an internet search for "ppa program" which usually gives good results, or you can install the Y PPA Manager. The Y PPA Manager is a GUI program that allows you to search Laucnhpad PPAs directly, and has various other features to manage PPAs. You already know how to install it

Install a .deb package: .deb files are like .exe files on Windows. You download them from the Internet yourself, and they install in just a few clicks. To install the package either double-click it, or right-click on it and choose "Open With GDebi Package Installer". Enter your password if prompted. The rest should be automatic.

Usually you will find a .deb package for Ubuntu; those will work with Linux Mint (you can find the Ubuntu release on which your Linux Mint release is based here, in the "Package base" column, or ask on the forums for help on this).

Install multiple .deb packages: As an alternative to the previous "Install a .deb package" description, if you have multiple .deb files you want to install you can easily install them in one go. To do so, put all the .deb files you want to install in one folder. Then in your file manager (like Nautilus, Caja, Dolphin, or Thunar) browse to that folder and select File > Open Folder in Terminal from the menu. In the terminal type the following command:

CODE: SELECT ALL

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

You will be asked for your password, so please type it and press enter to continue (no feedback will appear on the screen as you type, that is as expected). This will install all the .deb files inside the folder. If the .deb files have dependencies that are met by other .deb files in that folder, this command will install the .deb files in the correct order to meet those dependencies. If there are unmet dependencies (packages needed but missing from your system and this folder) you will be so informed.

NOW, I ask the OP. Is this something you want to get involved in?

Thanks for all the advice ,i did realize that my pc was not all of a sudden going to stop working ,and to be honest all i really do on it is download movies ect ,come on here ,do my e mails read the papers and do my banking ,thats about it except the usuall looking up the occasional website.

There are several free linux programs..

Not for the meek...but try precise puppy linux. It loads in 30 seconds and does everything you want. You can put it on a 200 baht usb thumbdrive and plug it in other computers as well. loads into ram.

No need to pay high dollar for what you are doing...when its all free, legally.

As an option, bring your computer to a Software/Hardware fixer upper, and give them 300 baht to partition your drive, and put Linux precise puppy on the 2nd partition and Windows on the first.

Boot either one. If your Windows goes tits up, as it always does, just load the Puppy.

smile.png

Sorry Daffy D, but that page just displays this

attachicon.gifcap.JPG

Sent from my iPad, so please excuse any typo.

Click on the Blue Headings:-

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

smile.png

And I guess that was impossible to link to directly?

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2014/03/13/expert-advice-windows-xp-eol/?xpexperts=

wai.gif

Sent from my iPad, so please excuse any typos

post-35075-0-30289500-1395290737_thumb.j

whistling.gif

1-You're the one who brought up flash and Chrome vulnerabilities in XP. You said Microsoft wouldn't patch those. That's how much you know. Now you're talking about flash being part of windows 8.1. You sound like a lunatic who knows nothing.

Where was I talking about flash being part of Windows 8.1?

I said it's part of IE11.

You need to get yourself to specsavers, as you are seeing things that are not there.

And you need to stop using Google to show how well you know Linux, you're using the wrong pages. You clearly know jack shit about Linux so it's best to stop pretending that you do.

vlc_terminal3.png

I got bored with the rest of your rubbish, you really have no idea what you're on about and you seem to be illiterate.

(1) Open the Ubuntu Software Center.

(2) Search for "VLC".

(3) Click "Install".

Wow, you're right, that is so complicated.

Haha

Yes right. So easy.

I don't have Linux and even I know that's not true. VLC is just one example. The REALITY of dealing with Linux is this

See above. You're an idiot.

That's what I said genius. And the newer hardware already COMES with windows 8.1. And you know 0 about windows 8.1 he have you ever even touched it?

I just noticed this little gem.

I have it on a Dell XPS Laptop, a Dell Optiplex Desktop (dual boot with Server 2012), an Asus Laptop, an HP Laptop and a Lenovo AIO.

Is that "touchy" enough for you?

Going back to the OP question..... and whats the easiest for a desktop user ,windows 7 or 8 which i see is being updated to 8.1 any ideas?

Had a problem with my PC + was over 2 years since a rebuild, so rebuilt late last year.. Did have window 7 on old PC, but as new Motherboard and CPU [as always AMD this time FX 8320 8 core]

​I went with Windows 8, with the desktop add-on so had icons and start menu, liked it............ now kept on getting FREE upgrade to 8.1 notices, so 2 weeks ago did upgrade to 8.1..

Hate 8.1, so have this week re-install Window 7 64 bit.. so far is or appears a lot slower then 8, had been using Win 8 for 4 months, maybe if then installing Windows on this new build, if they had 8.1 then would have got used to it.... do have 8 GB Ram

I never experienced Win 8.0 as I started my new laptop off with Win 8.1 and I like it. Able to switch between Desktop mode and Metro mode will just one or two clicks...kinda like having the best of both worlds. I probably spend about 75% of my time in Desktop mode (a.k.a., Win 7 mode) and the remaining in Metro/Start screen mode.

Going back to the OP question..... and whats the easiest for a desktop user ,windows 7 or 8 which i see is being updated to 8.1 any ideas?

Had a problem with my PC + was over 2 years since a rebuild, so rebuilt late last year.. Did have window 7 on old PC, but as new Motherboard and CPU [as always AMD this time FX 8320 8 core]

​I went with Windows 8, with the desktop add-on so had icons and start menu, liked it............ now kept on getting FREE upgrade to 8.1 notices, so 2 weeks ago did upgrade to 8.1..

Hate 8.1, so have this week re-install Window 7 64 bit.. so far is or appears a lot slower then 8, had been using Win 8 for 4 months, maybe if then installing Windows on this new build, if they had 8.1 then would have got used to it.... do have 8 GB Ram

Why didn't you just install Classic Shell on Windows 8.1?

I never experienced Win 8.0 as I started my new laptop off with Win 8.1 and I like it. Able to switch between Desktop mode and Metro mode will just one or two clicks...kinda like having the best of both worlds. I probably spend about 75% of my time in Desktop mode (a.k.a., Win 7 mode) and the remaining in Metro/Start screen mode.

Call me lazy. but I have two touchscreen devices and I still never use the Windows 8 GUI - they should have called it Window 8.

Call me lazy. but I have two touchscreen devices and I still never use the Windows 8 GUI - they should have called it Window 8.

You are "not" lazy if you have touchscreen devices as that takes extra effort to always be reaching out to select something on the screen and leave your fingerprint. To be lazy, you have to be like me and only just use the mouse touchpad to navigate around....raising my arm is way too much effort....moving my finger(s) around on the touchpad is more than enough effort for me. Plus, I was cheap when buying my latest laptop a few months ago and didn't want to pay the extra for a touchscreen since like I said I'm really lazy and prefer to only raise my finger versus my arm to navigate around on the screen.tongue.png

Edited by Pib

As I have said in another thread, I will be skipping Windows 8 and holding on for the release of Windows 9, in the hope it's more like Windows 7, which I am sure it will be.

Windows 9 is due for release early 2015, but may be released as early as later 2014. See the below news article.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/544318/20140321/microsoft-windows-9-release-date-features-price.htm

A lot of people are running Windows 8 with Classic Shell, to make Windows 8 more like Windows 7, but a Windows 8 update could knock out Classic Shell's funtionality at anytime.

Windows 8 saw the global decline in computer sales, and I am one of those statistics. I did not buy a new laptop because of Windows 8 and will now postpone my purchase until Windows 9.

Maybe you could stay with XP until Windows 9. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Someone once told me that I should always run the latest Windows OS because it would naturally be improved. So at that time I updated from Windows 98SE to Windows Millennium Edition. Lordy that ME OS sucked.

So I formatted and re-installed 98SE and have been afraid to upgrade ever since.

Maybe some day I'll try XP.

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

</sarcasm>

Just a quick update to this thread also on the Windows 8 fiasco.

Microsoft will be reinstating the Start menu. smile.png

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/microsoft-unveils-cortana-digital-assistant-reinstates-start-menu-20140403-zqpya.html

Here's a Microsoft link that shows Windows updates to be released on the next Windows update date which is 8 April in this case...the link also shows past releases. Anyway, you'll see there are various files that includes the Windows 8.1 Update...some are important and some are recommended. Since the 8 Apr release normally occurs U.S. west coast time it will be late 8 Apr or early 9 Apr Thailand time before a person could download/install the updates.

8 Apr 14 is also the end of support/updates for XP...but as you will see in above link no XP updates are included in the 8 Apr release...so, this means the updates released on 11 Mar, which did include some XP updates were the last XP updates.