Translating documents for UK settlement visa

I'm in the process of gathering all of the documents for the UK settlement visa. Some of these documents (birth certificate, tenancy agreements etc.) need to be translated from Thai to English. A friend of mine had used and recommended MBK Translation, but now the website and email address no longer exist, so I assume the company has closed. Can anyone confirm this? And/or recommend another company to use? Thanks in advance!

Official stamp?

Official stamp of the company.

There are numerous translators in the vicinity, there are a couple in Wave Place opposite the Embassy, they are all well versed in producing official looking translations to the standard required.

• Like 2

Unless the rules have changed in the last 10 months or so, a birth certificate (translated or otherwise), isn't required as part of a UK settlement visa application.

Thanks, i was already aware of this. However, I had been advised that it is best to get it translated before going to the UK (and so might as well include it in the visa documents), as it will most probably be required in the UK for something, and so will be a lot cheaper and easier to get it translated now than in the UK.

• Like 1

None of the documents needed to be translated unless it has changed recently.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that all documents must be in English.

We are applying for the unmarried partner visa and need to prove that we have been living together for the past 2 years. To do this we are submitting a variety of documents linking us to the same address. The house tenancy agreement is 100% in Thai, other documents such as bank/credit card/internet/tv statements all have the address in Thai and so need to be translated.

As it turns out MBK Translation does still exist, they are just renovating their website at the moment. We're going to email them all the documents and they will give us a quote and take it from there.

The official UKVI position is that all documents not in English must be accompanied by an English translation.

The ECOs in Bangkok used to adopt a pragmatic approach regarding official documents such as birth and marriage certificates; but I have heard this has changed and they now want translations as well.

Why take the risk for the sake of a few hundred baht?

Can you pm me a link for mbk translations pls? Price equal or same as around embassies?

I saw a translation service, young woman inside Asok/Suk MRT cubbyhole shop. Looked bored. She was so young, bored, doing her hair I did not pick up a brochure or speak with her.

What prices can I expect? I paid 400 at MFA to have my affadavit translated, noticed Thais paying much less for asstd documents ssme length. He did a good job on my complicated lastvbame though - it's someghing.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I am no expert but regarding your question about translation, why not translate the documents yourself? And while you are about it, translate each and every document (Thai birth certificate, Marriage certificate etc) so you can apply for a Schengen Visa, Work Permit, satisfy any requirements by authorities outside LOS.

I found a website where there are templates and you just fill in the spaces with your details.

http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/application_form.html.

No need to get ripped by agencies and visa services. The last time I used a translation service I had to correct all their mistakes!

Hope this helps.

pasak

@pasak, indeed you're not an expert and the "advice" you have given could lead to the OP's application being refused, with the subsequent loss of the application fee of US$1505.

The UKVI require that all supporting documents not in English are officially translated.

If you submit a document that is not in English or Welsh, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office. Each translated document must contain:
1 Confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document; 

2 The date of the translation; 

3 The translator's full name and signature; and 

4 The translator's contact details.

So no, I'm sorry, but your post doesn't help.

@pasak, indeed you're not an expert and the "advice" you have given could lead to the OP's application being refused, with the subsequent loss of the application fee of US$1505.

The UKVI require that all supporting documents not in English are officially translated.

If you submit a document that is not in English or Welsh, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office. Each translated document must contain:

1 Confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document; 

2 The date of the translation; 

3 The translator's full name and signature; and 

4 The translator's contact details.

So no, I'm sorry, but your post doesn't help.

With respect OG, I can meet those 4 requirements so why may I or anyone else with the ability not submit translations?

It's really up to you, if you want to submit an application by filling in a template from a Thai Consulate in the US, well that's your choice.

The UKVI will want to be satisfied that the translation is genuine, and do check the authenticity of the translator.

It seems to me that you're suggesting self certification, and that's not what the OP is asking about.

I agree that some of their templates are fairly shoddy. For example they call 'Birth Certificate', 'Certificate of Birth'. While I would change it to the former, they must have had success with the latter. It is still English after all.

But I cannot see why one cannot fill in the boxes oneself.

When you say 'authenticity of the translator', these translators are very often non native English speakers with limited knowledge of the English Language. I have had to correct them myself on many occasions.

I really don't understand what UKVI are aiming at. I can put my name and phone number at the bottom of the translation or I can pay 500 Baht for an uneducated Thai to put their 'official stamp' (LOL) and/or name on the translation.

Or is it that the UKVI prefer that the documents are translated by a third party?

Obviously I would not want to jeopardize my chances and will do what they want but it strikes me as ludicrous.

....... or I can pay 500 Baht for an uneducated Thai to put their 'official stamp' (LOL) and/or name on the translation.

Or you can do what the rest of us do and take it to a proper, professional translation bureau where the translators will be as well, if not better, educated than you!

Certainly many of them, especially those near the UKVAC and British embassy, have a great deal of experience in translating documents for UK visa applications and know exactly what is required.

BTW, I fail to see how advice taken from the Thai consulate in Chicago regarding translations is of any use to those applying for a UK visa.

Expect to pay about 300-400 Baht per page for translations.

The translator we used had opened a previous translation and just "pasted" our details rather than using a blank template.

Luckily my wife speaks and writes English so she spotted some errors which required a re-print.

A translation of her Birth Certificate was required by my company pension scheme in order to make her a beneficiary, so it may well be worth having one done if you have it handy.

It should be accompanied by a translation; but you should have submitted a translation with her initial visa application and, if so, this can also be used for ILR.

Otherwise, Google or Yellow Pages for one in your area.

Expect to pay a lot more than if you had it done in Thailand.

Are there any UK based translation services available? We are going through ILR and I am concerned our Thai wedding certificate won't be accepted unless in English, am I correct?

Here are a couple to kick off with. Have not dealt with them though.

http://www.worldaccent.com/english/to-thai/translation/ing

https://www.strakertranslations.com/sts/uk/london-translation-services/thai-translation-services-london.cfm

As soon as my wife and I were married we had all her/our important documents translated - birth certificate, ID card, house registration, marriage certificate and marriage registration certificate and then every translation notarised at MFA.

There was a difference of opinion between my wife and the translation service in some of the translated documents, namely names, but these were soon ironed out and just as well, as the MFA will not notarise until they meet their transliteration requirements, i.e. you'll be forced to have them re-done.

Whether or not all the translations and notarisations were totally necessary I'll never know but I wasn't taking any chances.

Another point to consider - if your future wife is planning on taking your surname then you might want to get it over and done with as soon after your marriage as possible. My wife sorted it all out immediately after we were legally married and it took all of twenty minutes, i.e. tabien baan and ID card amended to married name and a few days later her passport. All the above translations were therefore in her married name. It just saves a lot of aggravation at a later date.

Anyway, my wife has since successfully used our translated and notarised marriage certificate for a Schengen visa application.

As for translations in the UK, the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull provide a translation service, but it isn't cheap as previously stated by 7by7. Far easier and cheaper to get it all done and dusted in Thailand immediately after marriage.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/translations-and-Certifications.aspx

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 2

As soon as my wife and I were married we had all her/our important documents translated - birth certificate, ID card, house registration, marriage certificate and marriage registration certificate and then every translation notarised at MFA.

There was a difference of opinion between my wife and the translation service in some of the translated documents, namely names, but these were soon ironed out and just as well, as the MFA will not notarise until they meet their transliteration requirements, i.e. you'll be forced to have them re-done.

Whether or not all the translations and notarisations were totally necessary I'll never know but I wasn't taking any chances.

Another point to consider - if your future wife is planning on taking your surname then you might want to get it over and done with as soon after your marriage as possible. My wife sorted it all out immediately after we were legally married and it took all of twenty minutes, i.e. tabien baan and ID card amended to married name and a few days later her passport. All the above translations were therefore in her married name. It just saves a lot of aggravation at a later date.

Anyway, my wife has since successfully used our translated and notarised marriage certificate for a Schengen visa application.

As for translations in the UK, the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull provide a translation service, but it isn't cheap as previously stated by 7by7. Far easier and cheaper to get it all done and dusted in Thailand immediately after marriage.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/translations-and-Certifications.aspx

I like your wife's thorough approach. However I'm not sure whether it is necessary to have the marriage certificate notarised.

If you need to use the translation of a Thai marriage certificate for a Schengen visa application, then the translation does need to be notarised by the Thai MFA.

Yes, I realized I was in error (yet again) soon after I posted that.

Just for the record.....

We went with World Wide Visa and Translation http://visaandtranslation.com/site/contact/?lang=en in the end, mostly because they were quite a bit cheaper than MBK Translation and Thai Visa Express. They charged 250-300 baht for a standard document (birth cert, marriage cert etc) and the costs of other documents were assessed individually and we were given quotes. As we applied for a "unmarried partner" visa, we had to submit more documents than a regular spouse visa as we had to prove that we had been living together for 2 years etc. So due to the shear number of document that we needed translating, it did work out to be quite a bit cheaper. As far as we know the translations are all ok and have been accepted by the embassy (we're still waiting for the visa because of a problem with the English language test), however the translations were of pretty bad quality. They were obviously translated by someone Thai and weren't checked by a native speaker. A lot of the mistakes I could forgive, but a lot were just plain lazy....she'd write the dates wrong, she spelt my partner's name wrong, and spellings of Thai names weren't spelt consistently throughout the document. We had to literally spend hours painstakingly going through each page looking for mistakes, highlighting and correcting said mistakes, scanning the documents and emailing them back to be corrected.

So I do see pasak's point that it seems kind of pointless paying a company to do something that you could do better yourself, but I wouldn't risk jeopardizing the visa for the sake of trying to save a few thousand baht!

• Like 1

I hear you Hels. Exactly my thoughts except that I'm going to translate the documents myself. I had a real hassle with incorrect translations last time and had to go back three times for corrections. A joke frankly.

Many Farangs say that the translations aren't expensive so cough up and move on. But I won't do that, just as i won't pay over the odds for anything in Thailand. Possibly that's why I can go back to UK significantly wealthier than I was when I arrived 28 years ago.

By not standing your ground and by paying Farang prices, westerners are setting a precedent and doing those that follow them no favours at all. Meanwhile the Thais are laughing at them.

Incidentally I have a question. I have heard that translated documents that are legalized by the MFA in Bkk are sometimes not accepted in the UK, notably in connection with Schengen applications, and that the documents are only accepted when they have been legalized by the Thai Embassy or Consulate in UK. Would someone please comment on this.

• Like 1