Me and My PCX

moe666

I have been losing oil lately, took the bike to Nat motors and said check it out. At 2pm call go to dealer as soon as possible have something to show you. Got there and they had bike open to engine but it was not stripped down. The diagnosis is need overhaul my question how do we know exactly what we need if engine still together. The problem you have says it all as well as the after market intake filter. Ok order the parts but want to see the engine when he tears it down, come in the morning will be open.

The way I ride this bike I think I got good service at 15,000k I will ride it 300 to 400k a day at between 80 and 100k for 6 to 8 hours a day, I did do over 600k one day.

The cost of all parts will be a bit over 3,000baht and labor cost probably no more than 1,000baht

15,000k @ 350k/day...your bike needs overhaul at a month and a half old?

I'm really curious as to how you come to ride that much?

Good luck on the repair.

Keep us apprised.

Edited by papa al

Yes an aftermarket airfilter can cause much damage. Better take the original back again.

I was at the dealer and a thai came for service at his scooy-i. I looked at his filter and it was very dirty, then i looked at his clock and it said 60.000 km!

Not bad for a scoopy.

Okay, $100+ to fix.

Curious.... Moe, how is it that you ride that much?

hehehehe no I have had the bike for 2 years most of my rides are done in the dry season my longest ride was CM to Plok to KK to surin to Pattaya to Bangkok back to CM vis Plok over 3,000k in 8days one day 600k. Just came back from Kanchanaburi a few weeks ago and lots of day rides around CM. Yea 100 dollars not much for new engine.

Crikey, if yours is knackered at 15000k, mine must be ready to explode with 22k on the clock!

good luck with yours like I said I ride it hard on my trips, they seemed to think the air filter major cause and oil change not enough even though I follow the manuel. It still runs good but just losing the oil might as well get it done

Crikey, if yours is knackered at 15000k, mine must be ready to explode with 22k on the clock!

good luck with yours like I said I ride it hard on my trips, they seemed to think the air filter major cause and oil change not enough even though I follow the manuel. It still runs good but just losing the oil might as well get it done

didnt know it was possible to ride a pcx "hard" :D

i have one nearly 20k and its ridden daily as fast as it will go,still runs like brand new

i took it on a 12 hour journey once from esan to bkk and it was bouncing off the rev limiter at 105kmh all the way

and only stopped to refill it a few times

if that didnt kill it nothing will :)

didnt know it was possible to ride a pcx "hard" biggrin.png

i have one nearly 20k and its ridden daily as fast as it will go,still runs like brand new

i took it on a 12 hour journey once from esan to bkk and it was bouncing off the rev limiter at 105kmh all the way

and only stopped to refill it a few times

if that didnt kill it nothing will smile.png

will have a better idea tomorrow what caused the problem suppose to be open

Yea, my impression is that you can run these little liquid cooled bikes flat-out all day, high ambient temp, no problem.

I did with my Nouvo 135, and the temp gauge just sat right there in the middle.

They don't get hot, and hence the oil doesn't get roasted,

and it doesn't really require changing more than book recommendations.

If the air filter (tell us more) was letting in dirt, that could be problematic to rings, sure.

I guess no puddles of oil under the bike, so have you noticed any smoke out the exhaust?

Edited by papa al

Yea, my impression is that you can run these little liquid cooled bikes flat-out all day, high ambient temp, no problem.

I did with my Nouvo 135, and the temp gauge just sat right there in the middle.

They don't get hot, and hence the oil doesn't get roasted,

and it doesn't really require changing more than book recommendations.

If the air filter (tell us more) was letting in dirt, that could be problematic to rings, sure.

I guess no puddles of oil under the bike, so have you noticed any smoke out the exhaust?

no puddles and no smoke, but after a few days of riding oil down on the dipstick. I have lost a bit of top end, before on a long flat 110k but now lucky to hit 105. No this scooter has been very reliable and has run good, just a few days ago down to Lamphun no problem and my ridding friend didn't report any smoke

Went over this morning to look at the motor, on the cylinder wall there was a bit of wear but no deep grooves or anything that would jump out at you and say look at me. But in the end it defiantly was losing oil and needed something done.

which engine have you got ? the 125cc or the 150cc ? I'm thinking of getting one as they are so comfortable but didn't realise they only did 105 kph.

Top speed is abut 110 kph have to remember only 150cc and it is only a scooter. The Forza would be a better buy if you want that look but a bigger engine, I have a trip planned in a week or so and will rent a Forza.

do you know what oil was used for service? it may have been recycled oil refilled on old bottles, this oil dont last long

I am a licensed AME mechanic (helicopter) and when I take my PCX for servicing I WATCH over what they do...making sure the oil is out and a visual inspection..usually the same color as new (1000 Km) change the oil, and change oil before Storage. and also REPLACE the Anti-Freeze every year....buy the Anti Freeze and let the mechanic replace the fluid....simple. I make note of how confident the mechanic is, not being distracted by his Cell phone..complete focus on what he is doing... once complete and all drain plugs tightened and new oil replaced with certified Honda Oil ..noting he does not OVER torque plugs, as if over torque the heat of bike may cause a hairline crack leak on casting... I make note of the mechanic as this fellow is tops in my view of preventative maintenance...giving a 50 baht tip!

Why 50... cause he will remember you and be glad to bump you ahead of the waiting bikes...time is money..if you are satisfied with your new found mechanic..make his day $ and your will have a mechanic that will give you great service in future!

post-27018-0-13075300-1394509451_thumb.j

• Like 2

which engine have you got ? the 125cc or the 150cc ? I'm thinking of getting one as they are so comfortable but didn't realise they only did 105 kph.

Top speed is abut 110 kph have to remember only 150cc and it is only a scooter. The Forza would be a better buy if you want that look but a bigger engine, I have a trip planned in a week or so and will rent a Forza.

Have you actually ridden one at Top Speed... If you have then you know you are wrong or the bike was stuffed

If you ride 400 - 600 km is one day you should take your air filter out at the end of the day and give it a clean. With the dry dusty weather in Thailand its essential to keep on top of the air filter. In the city its not as big a deal but when your out in the sticks the amount of dust in the air is amazing. If that shit gets past the filter its just grinding paste for the engine. Once you get one spot on the filter that is sucking dust straight through thats it for the components inside. Im not really familiar with scooters and if there running with a carb or have they moved on to injectors? Anyway if its a carb, the smallest bit of dirt getting in there can jam your throttle wide open. Obviously this could be a problem at 105 coming up to a corner :-)

Best thing to do would be take out your filter once a week and give it a blow with a air gun, you could get the boys at a local garage shack to do this for 10 baht. I would also put some filter oil on it as well. At very least id take it out every now and then and give it a chap on the ground, then you will see how much dust come out it.

My wife bought a PCX150 from Nat when they came out and hers was one of the ones that they blinged up for the CM motorshow. Included in the bling was the aftermarket air filter. 10,000km down the road and the bike is burning oil. Take it back to Nat and they have it all apart and want to charge us about 3k baht for new piston, rings and a rebore. I say "no, so far as I am concerned, the work is under warranty as the filter was on it when we bought it from you, an official Honda dealer". They sucked it up and charged us only 100B for new oil.

Incidentally, as some of you may be aware, I run Tony's Big Bikes in the city and we have several PCXs, and one with 70,000KM and no issues whatsoever apart from replacing consumables. Great little bikes if you look after them.

Cheers,

Pikey.

do you know what oil was used for service? it may have been recycled oil refilled on old bottles, this oil dont last long

I am a licensed AME mechanic (helicopter) and when I take my PCX for servicing I WATCH over what they do...making sure the oil is out and a visual inspection..usually the same color as new (1000 Km) change the oil, and change oil before Storage. and also REPLACE the Anti-Freeze every year....buy the Anti Freeze and let the mechanic replace the fluid....simple. I make note of how confident the mechanic is, not being distracted by his Cell phone..complete focus on what he is doing... once complete and all drain plugs tightened and new oil replaced with certified Honda Oil ..noting he does not OVER torque plugs, as if over torque the heat of bike may cause a hairline crack leak on casting... I make note of the mechanic as this fellow is tops in my view of preventative maintenance...giving a 50 baht tip!

Why 50... cause he will remember you and be glad to bump you ahead of the waiting bikes...time is money..if you are satisfied with your new found mechanic..make his day $ and your will have a mechanic that will give you great service in future!

And I thought I was the only person in Thailand that possessed a torque wrench. Just shows how wrong you can be.

Bought my son a PCX when they first came out. He loved it, happily giving up his 2 yr old Neuvo for it. Rode it a few times myself, and the only thing I didn't like was that "humped" seat. Last year, due to medical reasons, I had to sell my CBR 250 and bought a Forza. PCX on steroids. lol. Great bike! Comfortable as hell, and better acceleration than the PCX. Took it on a couple of trips from C.M. to Lampang, and while it doesn't have the "fun" factor, or speed, of my CBR, it was great bike for "touring" type of riding. Finally sold his PCX and gave him the Forza, which I couldn't get back from him now for anything.

I rented a PCX150 for a day, just for fun, and it's better than the 125. Due to my medical condition, I may end up getting one of those for myself. My sports bike, long trip days are pretty much a think of the past, and now just need something for around Chiang Mai and surrounding area. But definitely have to get an aftermarket "straight" seat. To me, PCX is one of the best overall models Honda has come out with in a long time. Got a friend who drives his from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, with all the twists and turns that involves, every weekend, and says it's the best bike he's ever had for that.

NOTE: The 150 PCX will actually do 120kph, but I don't really recommend that for any length of time. Possibly for short bursts, but that's about it.

Edited for NOTE.

Edited by Just1Voice

Anti-freeze? Really? Sure you don't mean coolant? Didn't know you would need anti freeze in this climate.

double post ooops

Edited by Mudcrab

I am not a mechanic I also own a one year old PCX, have had no problems and service it regularly and treat it with kitten gloves. I drive approximately 70K running around town and at various speeds. I taken the bike on many late evening coming home at 100 on Sukumvit for not for very long period just long enough to fool around.

Here is my take... although the bike is a 150 CC, the distant and constant high speed personally is too much for this bike. If you are putting that amount of distant you should think about buying sometime larger like the 300 cc, a bike this small can only take so much for so long?

I ride a Honda Phantom.

Oil changes every 1,000 km...

50 oil changes already.

Still very good, hehehe

I wouldn't brag about that. lol

How's it feel to know that every 125 scooter on the market can outrun you?

But they're ok for trips, as long as you don't mind doing moderate hills in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Hey, whatever make ya happy! thumbsup.gif