Manual or Automatic Trans for new 2.5 lt. Diesel Truck?

Thailaw

I have had both in my trucks in Thailand, but would never again consider manual. The auto is so much more comfortable.

So much more comfortable, but so much more boring......

it's not a ferrari mate, it's turbo diesel lol

One of the problems with a diesel turbo is the very limited power range and a manual gear change is so useful in keeping within that range.

Driving in Thailand is never boring

+1. I'm finding that dodging other drivers has to be my first priority, and I'd really rather let the truck decide what gear it should be in while I'm focusing 100% on not getting hit.

And in those epic traffic jams, where leaving 10' between me and the car in front of me guarantees someone will try to horn in, it would be nice to get off the clutch.

Anyone with experience of driving a manual will tell you that changing gear is SUBLIMINAL - you shouldn't need to think.

I have had both in my trucks in Thailand, but would never again consider manual. The auto is so much more comfortable.

One of the problems with a diesel turbo is the very limited power range and a manual gear change is so useful in keeping within that range.

have you driven a new ford or mazda for example? I have and with their 6at is sweet.

+1. I'm finding that dodging other drivers has to be my first priority, and I'd really rather let the truck decide what gear it should be in while I'm focusing 100% on not getting hit.

And in those epic traffic jams, where leaving 10' between me and the car in front of me guarantees someone will try to horn in, it would be nice to get off the clutch.

Anyone with experience of driving a manual will tell you that changing gear is SUBLIMINAL - you shouldn't need to think.

Been driving them since 1975. In my cars, it's been subliminal- nice tight patterns, short shift levers, and easy clutches (except the Vette- a real pig). But every truck and 4x4 I've ever owned required some thought because of the long throw, the heavy clutch and the slop between 1st-3rd-5th and 2nd-4th, especially shifting when cornering and the drivetrain moves relative to the chassis. Also depends on whether the tranny is a top loader or a side loader (I've never owned a front wheel drive manual)

And regardless of thought, 1/2 of my hands are busy shifting and not available for other endeavors- like steering.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Jap pickups like the OP is considering generally do not have a heavy clutch. Lever throw is longer than a sports car and the synchro's may be a little slower than some but they are no problem to use. OK, they are not Ferrari's but they they are not Kenworths either.

The Jap pickups do not use side or top loader designs.

• Like 1

real men drive manual.. heheh

You're close, I think.

Real men drive pick-up trucks with manual transmissions.

I would never consider (assuming that I am a "real man") putting a manual trans in an MB E250 (assuming that it is an option). I would however consider both a manual and automatic trans in a BMW Z4. I would only consider a manual trans in a Vette C7. I have been looking at a Honda CTX 700N, which interestingly comes in both manual and auto versions. I would never consider an auto trans in a cruiser. I now have a Forza which is "turn and go", but I would change the Forza for the CTX in a heart beat, and probably will as soon as I get the payment for the truck behind me. So, while i agree that automatic transmissions have changed a lot in the last 20 or so years, there is (at least in my mind) a relationship between the kind of vehicle and the choice of transmission -- luxury vehicle, automatic; workhorse, manual; sports car; manual -- do you want to ride in it or do you want to drive it, that is the question.

That said, I am leaving to go to the Mitsu dealer in 30 minutes to order the 4 door turbo Triton with an auto trans, so hopefully no "real men" will see me driving it.

Thanks for all of the thoughts, but the real deciding factor was right here at home.

Been driving them since 1975. In my cars, it's been subliminal- nice tight patterns, short shift levers, and easy clutches (except the Vette- a real pig). But every truck and 4x4 I've ever owned required some thought because of the long throw, the heavy clutch and the slop between 1st-3rd-5th and 2nd-4th, especially shifting when cornering and the drivetrain moves relative to the chassis. Also depends on whether the tranny is a top loader or a side loader (I've never owned a front wheel drive manual)

And regardless of thought, 1/2 of my hands are busy shifting and not available for other endeavors- like steering.

You are very right. I test drove a Mitsu pick-up at the dealer with manual trans, and I did not like shifting with my left hand. It seemed very awkward, and detracted from my ability to steer. in the US, with the shift on the right, shifting and steering seem to be much easier and more comfortable. But it may just be getting used to shifting with the different hand. A short test drive in not enough to tell.

real men drive manual.. heheh

You're close, I think.

Real men drive pick-up trucks with manual transmissions.

I would never consider (assuming that I am a "real man") putting a manual trans in an MB E250 (assuming that it is an option). I would however consider both a manual and automatic trans in a BMW Z4. I would only consider a manual trans in a Vette C7. I have been looking at a Honda CTX 700N, which interestingly comes in both manual and auto versions. I would never consider an auto trans in a cruiser. I now have a Forza which is "turn and go", but I would change the Forza for the CTX in a heart beat, and probably will as soon as I get the payment for the truck behind me. So, while i agree that automatic transmissions have changed a lot in the last 20 or so years, there is (at least in my mind) a relationship between the kind of vehicle and the choice of transmission -- luxury vehicle, automatic; workhorse, manual; sports car; manual -- do you want to ride in it or do you want to drive it, that is the question.

That said, I am leaving to go to the Mitsu dealer in 30 minutes to order the 4 door turbo Triton with an auto trans, so hopefully no "real men" will see me driving it.

Thanks for all of the thoughts, but the real deciding factor was right here at home.

Congrats on your choice. I rented a AT 4door Triton in Pattaya for a few weeks and quite liked it. Very nice ride.

You are very right. I test drove a Mitsu pick-up at the dealer with manual trans, and I did not like shifting with my left hand. It seemed very awkward, and detracted from my ability to steer. in the US, with the shift on the right, shifting and steering seem to be much easier and more comfortable. But it may just be getting used to shifting with the different hand. A short test drive in not enough to tell.

I've been doing it lefty for about a year with an older model Mitsu and have concluded it's not about which hand. It's just got a sloppy shift- but not unusual for most pickups I've owned. Small price for me to pay given my criteria for purchase was to be able to fire sale it without losing my butt if I get transferred from Thailand. If I were to do it again, I'd look for an auto. But it's not obnoxious enough to replace it since I just use it a few times a month.

Edited by impulse

Sounds like you've developed some really bad gear-changing habits!

My Ranger has 6 speed AT+Manual version for convenience...problem soleved wink.png

Not really.

...really....but it's AT+Manual 'option'(!)... (dam_n google translation tongue.png )

Yes, but even if it is good, it is still in a Turd. I have owned one of them in my life, and it will never happen again -- full stop. And in Thailand, IMHO, Japanese (or German) is the only way to go as far as vehicles are concerned (for women (and wine) the field of desirable choices is much wider). As far as I know, there are no German pick-ups, so that leaves the Japanese 4 as the only option.

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Strada manual & a 2012 Ford Ranger 6 speed auto. Both great to drive. I was reluctant to buy the auto, but no regrets. Great response. Drive a lot of mountain roads in both. Can't fault either. I test drove the Mazda BT-50 manual which I guess is the same as the Ranger. Hated it. The 2001 Strada gear shift feels like a car. The Mazda felt like a lorry.

In your Ranger,do you use the 'manual' option while driving in the hills? I find it very useful,specially on the descents...

No. I switch it to "S" mode, & leave in auto. Never had any problems. Seems to downshift automatically. If I was back in the desert, descending steep sand dune slip faces or very steep dirt roads, I would probably resort to manual. The only time I select a gear is on "cold start" in the morning. Have about 200m to drive on bumpy dirt road, driving slowly. If I leave it in Auto, it keeps changing between 1 & 2. so I put it in 2nd until I reach a smooth road. Don't have this problem when I come home & everything warmed up.

My Ranger has 6 speed AT+Manual version for convenience...problem soleved wink.png

Not really.

...really....but it's AT+Manual 'option'(!)... (dam_n google translation tongue.png )

Yes, but even if it is good, it is still in a Turd. I have owned one of them in my life, and it will never happen again -- full stop. And in Thailand, IMHO, Japanese (or German) is the only way to go as far as vehicles are concerned (for women (and wine) the field of desirable choices is much wider). As far as I know, there are no German pick-ups, so that leaves the Japanese 4 as the only option.

If you like German wheels enough to pay the price, there is always the VW amarok pickup, assuming VW actually got around to importing any that is.

If you like German wheels enough to pay the price, there is always the VW amarok pickup, assuming VW actually got around to importing any that is.

Thanks. I like German wheels enough to pay the price for a German "luxury" 4 dr sedan, but not for a pickup truck, and certainly not a VW pickup. I think I got a good deal on the Triton, and I am pleased with that, although at equal price I would have gone with the Vigo. I am honestly not sure whether the auto trans was the right choice, but I don't think that it was a "bad" choice. I guess I will find out after a few months of driving it.

Thanks. I like German wheels enough to pay the price for a German "luxury" 4 dr sedan, but not for a pickup truck, and certainly not a VW pickup. I think I got a good deal on the Triton, and I am pleased with that, although at equal price I would have gone with the Vigo. I am honestly not sure whether the auto trans was the right choice, but I don't think that it was a "bad" choice. I guess I will find out after a few months of driving it.

Congratulations....you know your deal ...thumbsup.gif

Not really.

Really? it has a clutch then?

...not really...but you can manually shift your gears...rolleyes.gif

People should have their Licence stamped as a Novice Driver if they passed a test in an Auto . <snip>

In some countries they do. E.g. Netherlands, learn to drive in auto, and the first years, I think 3 or 5, you're only allowed to drive auto.