Servicing car - a cautionary tale

you are an idiot........you should name the dealership....thanks for helping us all

he is not an idiot. Thailand has very strict laws regarding name & shame. If you wish to know who then pm him.

Also flaming & being insulting to other posters is against the forum rules. Bear this in mind for the future.

• Like 1

I had a different experience I left 300bt in 100bt note's in my car while it went through a valet not only was it inside the car after it had been cleaned but had been folded and placed on my seat nothing was said, but I did go back the next day and got lunch for everyone that worked there. Cost nearly 400bt but who the hell cares, worth paying for honest service. Not all peep's are thieves.

• Like 2

Estranged missus took our MU7 to be Valeted. On collecting the car after shopping all appeared well. She drove a few hundred yards and part of the roof bars fell off. She returned to complain to the car washer who she thought broke it (as I did). He denied all knowledge but I believe he broke it whilst pulling himself up to wash the roof. Without any evidence this was how it was left.

I haven't got a Car here so haven't had this problem but what I have had happen on more than 1 occasion with more than 1 Motorbike Garage is if I leave my M/bike overnight to get something fixed is if I have half a tank or more of petrol by the time I pick up the bike the next day they've siphoned nearly all the petrol out of it... obviously it's a small amount of money but nonetheless I find this very annoying, of course when I complain they just give me crazy Farang smiles & deny all knowledge of it, point being you come across petty theft in garages all over the world but Thailand is the only country Iv'e come across where they actually steal the petrol out of your tank when in for repairs...

I haven't got a Car here so haven't had this problem but what I have had happen on more than 1 occasion with more than 1 Motorbike Garage is if I leave my M/bike overnight to get something fixed is if I have half a tank or more of petrol by the time I pick up the bike the next day they've siphoned nearly all the petrol out of it... obviously it's a small amount of money but nonetheless I find this very annoying, of course when I complain they just give me crazy Farang smiles & deny all knowledge of it, point being you come across petty theft in garages all over the world but Thailand is the only country Iv'e come across where they actually steal the petrol out of your tank when in for repairs...

I too am upset at situations like this, BUT, the mechanic who stole the money, makes less than $10 a day, works 6 or 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. He is shit ass poor, I'm sure he thought you wouldn't miss it. I think I pity him more than I am upset at him. Just a thought. When you put things in perspective it makes for a lighter attitude. I would have let it lie, as I drove away in my air conditioned truck and went home to a nice house and watched tv and drank my beer, and chuckled at the loss of 60 baht.

I do not. there are hundreds of competant honest mechanics that can fill his job. If it was me I would ensure there was a vacancy.

I'm with the OP it's not the amount of money it's the principle. I realize principles are in short supply everywhere but that does not mean we can't still be disappointed.

I remember a long time ago living in Dubai the car parks at the shopping malls would have gangs of kids that would clean your car inside and out while you did your shopping.

You did not have to worry about removing your loose change, nothing ever went missing.

I doubt it's still the same now sad.png

• Like 1

Richy, you say the money was ' inside ' the dashboard. By this, do you mean actually inside the glovebox or just in a tray on the dashboard ? If it was inside the glovebox, then I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. If it was on the dashboard, maybe, just maybe the mechanics thought it was a tip.....and before anyone jumps to their keyboards think about if and when you tip the chambermaid or waiter/waitress. Where do you leave your tip ?

Yesterday, I had a major service done on my pickup. The guy who booked the car in said the mechanics would have to remove the glovebox to check the a/c fan and was there anything of value therein which I would like to remove. The GPS was in there, but we left it in and it was still there when the service was finished.

As an aside, I am still waiting for a replacement wheel which amazingly has been ' on order ' for over 2 years. We ask every time we are in the dealership but just get a ' no '. Ha ! This time they actually told me I should order one so garages have their good sides and their bad sides.

Richy, you say the money was ' inside ' the dashboard. By this, do you mean actually inside the glovebox or just in a tray on the dashboard ? If it was inside the glovebox, then I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. If it was on the dashboard, maybe, just maybe the mechanics thought it was a tip.....and before anyone jumps to their keyboards think about if and when you tip the chambermaid or waiter/waitress. Where do you leave your tip ?

Yesterday, I had a major service done on my pickup. The guy who booked the car in said the mechanics would have to remove the glovebox to check the a/c fan and was there anything of value therein which I would like to remove. The GPS was in there, but we left it in and it was still there when the service was finished.

As an aside, I am still waiting for a replacement wheel which amazingly has been ' on order ' for over 2 years. We ask every time we are in the dealership but just get a ' no '. Ha ! This time they actually told me I should order one so garages have their good sides and their bad sides.

Hi Finnomick, it was in the tray 'visible'(cupholders in front of Gear). I had thought about the 'tip' scenario but they took the 10 baht + 5 baht coins and left the 1 + 2 bahts....

****** To clarify to the scarcastic amongst us - the value i.e. 60 baht was irrelevant. someone had blatantly stolen money*******

Should have called the pigs, they stole money.

You have a tiny mind if you are referring to the Police. Post your crap thoughts elsewhere
Stop yer greeting and get over it.

Nae greetin fae me Pal. I wiz yin for thirty years so ahm used tae it, but huvin retired I thoucht a' would get away fae comments like that yin. Never mind - nae bother

Having just got back today from having 6 month service on my pickup, this somewhat 'normal' experience was soured by returning to my car after the process and discovering that money in the 'dash board' was missing albeit small change (approx 60 baht). Before I had given the keys over before servicing, ironically (in the sense that I don't usually pay much attention to the small loose change in here) for some reason I made a mental note as to how how much was there. Upon approaching one of the staff I politely managed to convey my anger at this and after a bit of conferring between 4 or 5 other staff who were there one of them agreed to 'go look'. Behold, 5 mins later I received a knock on my car window with 60 baht in notes and a 'So sorry Sir jing jing'.

Of course, reiterating the fact that it is such a small amount change, the fact remains that I feel let down to say the least that someone would have the audacity to steal money from their paying customers not least as there are were only a certain number of staff that would have had access to the inside of the car. On the flip side, in hindsight, I and I'm sure many others would point out that I shouldn't have left any valuables in the car which is a fair point and won't happen again.

It would be interesting to know if any others have had this happen to them. I have purposely not mentoned the dealership/servicing centre incase this breaches forum rules....

Cheers

I keep saying it. Only buy Honda or toyota.

The Chevy dealer close to Tiwanon, stole a Thai teacher's GPS system.

Edited by computerguy

I had four chrome wheel nuts replaced with some old rusty ones but didn't notice until it was too late, same workshop swapped my neighbours new battery for an old one, unfortunately for them he had photographed it in situ and painted his reg number on it before he took the car in! Oh sorry mister we take out to charge and put wrong one back!

Having just got back today from having 6 month service on my pickup, this somewhat 'normal' experience was soured by returning to my car after the process and discovering that money in the 'dash board' was missing albeit small change (approx 60 baht). Before I had given the keys over before servicing, ironically (in the sense that I don't usually pay much attention to the small loose change in here) for some reason I made a mental note as to how how much was there. Upon approaching one of the staff I politely managed to convey my anger at this and after a bit of conferring between 4 or 5 other staff who were there one of them agreed to 'go look'. Behold, 5 mins later I received a knock on my car window with 60 baht in notes and a 'So sorry Sir jing jing'.

Of course, reiterating the fact that it is such a small amount change, the fact remains that I feel let down to say the least that someone would have the audacity to steal money from their paying customers not least as there are were only a certain number of staff that would have had access to the inside of the car. On the flip side, in hindsight, I and I'm sure many others would point out that I shouldn't have left any valuables in the car which is a fair point and won't happen again.

It would be interesting to know if any others have had this happen to them. I have purposely not mentoned the dealership/servicing centre incase this breaches forum rules....

Cheers

I keep saying it. Only buy Honda or toyota.

The Chevy dealer close to Tiwanon, stole a Thai teacher's GPS system.

So how does your post makes sense if the post at hand is about a Toyota?

• Like 1