Smoke

Genericnic

I love Chiang Mai but as I look out my window over the city I can't help but be reminded of Los Angeles (California) on a bad smog day. I really hope - in vain, I know - that the powers that be will learn that filling the air with high density smoke is bad for tourism. Maybe then, those of us that live here will get some clean(er) air this time of year.

Hope springs eternal.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the worst I've seen it. I came here for an interview (the CMU teacher disaster) in March 3 years back.

I was instructed to find the university by heading towards 'the mountain'. I was totally lost. there was no mountain anywhere to be seen.

It was like that for weeks.

Tonight I'll be scrubbing the air in my bedroom with the air con and newly-fitted 3M filters.

It's not the worst I've seen it. I came here for an interview (the CMU teacher disaster) in March 3 years back.

I was instructed to find the university by heading towards 'the mountain'. I was totally lost. there was no mountain anywhere to be seen.

It was like that for weeks.

Tonight I'll be scrubbing the air in my bedroom with the air con and newly-fitted 3M filters.

Masuk,

I remember that too. I had just moved to CM in mid-February. I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into a repeat.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Genericnic

Just opened the windows upstairs to let in some cooler air. No chance. Stench of burning outside. Thank you a$$holes. couldn't you have burned earlier in the the day? Or better still, could you have not burned at all?

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

Its not that bad,so far. Much depends if there are forest fires in the region, wind direction et..

In the local market you can now buy seasonal veggies that grow only in an area of a prescribed burn. Locals tell me that the veggies arrived in the market early this year because much of the burning is already over...???? wink.png

I can't help but be reminded of Los Angeles (California) on a bad smog day.

When's the last time you were there, the 1950's? Do you ever travel? You should get out more. Try New Dehli, and then go to Beijing, then several cities in Iran and Pakistan, and then come on back to India, all after you've seen at least a hundred other cities that make Los Angeles seem mountain fresh. This Chiang Mai smoke crap blows away anything that LA has had in YEARS.

• Like 1

Remember as far as the Thai government is concerned, money is all that matters. Expats aren't anymore guests than that of Tourists whom spend mass amounts of money & despite whatever horrors may befall them, a naive replacement is right behind them. Another way put, the Thai Gov cares less about the effects on their own people, so foreigners are & will always be replaceable ATM machines.

On another note, I love Chiang Mai between May & November. If the Gov wasn't so damn greedy, it would be my fav place to live.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The index is barely breaking 100

http://air4thai.pcd.go.th/web/

When it's bad it can approach 300

Not sure if they use the same data....

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangmai/city-hall/

Yeah, when he posted it was *down* to 100. Not 'barely breaking' 100. Chances are this will still go in as a good year, but we are most definitely breaking the 120 ug/m3 limit today. (First time this year)

smoke = prison. maybe even lung cancer. I remember reading about all the smoke in Chicago, Pittsburgh, USA, etc....in the 1900's. This was a by-product of the industrial revolution. I'm sure China, Russia, etc..experienced the same thing. However, Thailand isn't exactly producing steel beams; therefore, the end doesn't justify the means. Of course, 60-years later I think most cities (and offices) were polluted by cigarette smoke. That must have been horrible, and it took decades to get some regulation enforced.

We know the solution. Come up with some smoke-free device to turn over their soil or get rid of their wasted crops, or whatever it is they are doing, and convince them the cost is better than setting everything on fire. Nah. fire = free. that won't work. lol.

and of course they (gov't) will tell you, "this year we will crack down!!" that is called keeping more tourists in thailand = more money. can you imagine if they said, "this year will be worst pollution ever and might kill you!!"

Names of vegetables and photographs please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..."Puk-Wan"...sorry no pic. already been eaten biggrin.png

On another note, I love Chiang Mai between May & November. If the Gov wasn't so <deleted> greedy, it would be my fav place to live.

..... yes,couldn't live here year round either....we spent May- Oct. in Tofino on Vancouver Island, will be soon off to Ubud for one-month...ahh..its a hard life.smile.png

Remember as far as the Thai government is concerned, money is all that matters. Expats aren't anymore guests than that of Tourists whom spend mass amounts of money & despite whatever horrors may befall them, a naive replacement is right behind them. Another way put, the Thai Gov cares less about the effects on their own people, so foreigners are & will always be replaceable ATM machines.

On another note, I love Chiang Mai between May & November. If the Gov wasn't so <deleted> greedy, it would be my fav place to live.

You know how much money they would make off of fines for people burning? further more how much they would make off parking and traffic violations.

Its more about them being stupid and lazy.

@Chicog - Your link is to an excel spreadsheet detailing the average 24 hour particulate matter at 9 am in various locations in northern Thailand for each day this year (2557). Page 1 is January, page 2 is February & page 3 is up to March 12 of this year.

Row 1 are readings from CM's city hall

Row 2 are readings from Yuparat school in CM

Row 3 are readings from a school in central Lampang city

Row 4 are readings from a hospital in Mae Maw district in Lampang

Row 5 are readings from another hospital in Mae Maw district in Lampang

Row 6 are readings from the Water Authority of Mae Maw district in Lampang

Row 7 are readings from the Lamphun stadium

Row 8 are readings from central Chiang Rai city

Row 9 are readings from Mae Sai in Chiang Rai

Row 10 are readings from central Mae Hong Sohn city

Row 11 are readings from municipal office in Nan city

Row 12 are readings from central Phrae city

Row 13 are from central Phayao city

Row 14 are readings from some sort of mobile centre in CM

Row 15 are readings from Mae Sod district in Tak

I don't know why, but the same dates are listed for last year (2556) at the bottom of each month but no info. for the particulate matter is given, just the date. January of 2556 (last year) is the heading at the bottom of sheet 3 (the March 2557 sheet), which is odd. Again, no info. is given for last year's particulate matter readings.

Interesting how the particulate matter has increased in March (page 3).

On another note, I love Chiang Mai between May & November. If the Gov wasn't so greedy, it would be my fav place to live.

You know how much money they would make off of fines for people burning? further more how much they would make off parking and traffic violations.

Exactly, "money is all that matters", by any means, and fully agree it's also about being stupid & lazy. But as TiT goes this government, it's values & practices are here to stay. After they destroy their own country, maybe they can raise their Lego army & take over Cambodia.

...Again, too many hamburgers and not enough fries.... why do you even live here?....sounds like you want CM to be just like back home with burger palaces & rules and regulations coming out of every social orifice.

The lack of organization and implementation of government systems and policy at the ground level is one thing that makes this place fun to live in (for me anyways).

A slight irritate of smog/smoke for a few weeks every year...so what! Don't be so "stupid and lazy"...Get on a plane and go to the beach if it bothers you that much.

...Again, too many hamburgers and not enough fries.... why do you even live here?....sounds like you want CM to be just like back home with burger palaces & rules and regulations coming out of every social orifice.

The lack of organization and implementation of government systems and policy at the ground level is one thing that makes this place fun to live in (for me anyways).

A slight irritate of smog/smoke for a few weeks every year...so what! Don't be so "stupid and lazy"...Get on a plane and go to the beach if it bothers you that much.

If it were simply a "slight irritant" I doubt anyone would worry, but this is a serious health hazard when it hits the numbers that Chiang Mai has had in the past. There is nothing "fun" about it.

• Like 2

They burn all over Thailand and surrounding countries. Going to the beach doesn't solve the problem bonehead. It's nice to see your so accepting of someone elses stupidity shortening your life span. I'll be sure to bring you a card when you're brain dead (if your not already) and paralyzed in the hospital cause you were ran over by a drunk driver going the wrong way and the rescue workers showed up to take pictures of you instead of save you because he's having so much fun afforded to him by the lack of organization and implementation of government systems and policy.