What are your perceptions of having a Thai GF or wife

kimbathewhitelion

Might I say, non-rented nor non-leased relationships. I find Thai relationships to be very sensitive based on their culture & me not wanting to give up on my own. Given. The "upset" times are accumulating. Taken as if all were (background) a bugs bunny cartoon with a classical (Koyaanisqatsi) foreground excluding but also telling a story. Thais have their own story to tell whether words or silent character or song.

More of a justification why I am here.

Note: Tourists should be ignored.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Takes work to be in a relationship regardless of the cultural differences. I have had my share of differences with the wife of 6 years mostly to do with the spoiled younger brother. The rest of her family is OK, but Nong is a 29 year old living as though he were 12. Most recently we (wife and I) had a spat about him as he's staying with us for a month between terms at medical school. I was finally able to show her examples of how every time he comes to visit we have a problem, not just with me, but with other foreigner friends too. She thought about it for a while and finally said, Nong does't know how to interact with foreigners. She said she can't talk to him as he has to figure it out for himself but at least she is now seeing it from another perspective and even said she didn't want him to come with us to the states next time we go as she clearly sees he isn't capable of dealing with non-Thais.

I still find my relationship to be far healthier than any I ever had in the states. I mainly attribute that to my growing up and not running away from the person just because of a problem.

Thus my perception of having a Thai wife is that with work, lots of dialogue and compassion, problems can be overcome.

She said she can't talk to him as he has to figure it out for himself

avoid responsibility and confrontation at all costs.

with these interpersonal skills and open-mindedness he's going to make an excellent doctor.

• Like 2

To be quite honest after 20 years of marriage and i year living together ,i find my wife is the same as any other woman ,maybe its her upbringing or the fact we lived in the west for many years ,but on the whole she thinks like i do , or maybe just pretends tosmile.png who knows.

Edited by i claudius

The phrase do it the "Thai way" comes to mind. Been married to a Thai for 7 years and have a 2-year old daughter. Have lived in Thailand for the last 3 years. Maintain your Western ideals but mix them with the "Thai way" where possible. There are always disagreements but like in any relationship a solution can be found. I have to say that the one thing I really like about Thai's is that they will go into a strop for a day but after that everything is forgotten ... no grudges, no repercussions. Not at all like the "Western way" where we tend to harbor these things and let then get to us. Also be prepared to be second to the Thai family ... this is important to them ... they have been bought up to support their elders unlike the "Western way" which seems to be the opposite.

• Like 2

Having a GF from a different culture probably requires more commitment and effort like others here have said.

That being said relationships are not static. People change and so does everything around us.

It's not a one time effort and then everything falls into place.

It requires time and patience in the form of trying to understand someone instead of just trying to have it your own way.

If you want it your own way go to Burger King.

I find it usually requires nurturing and not taking your partner for granted and realizing that the world does not revolve around us but rather us around everything else.

If we find Thai women or any women for that matter complicated and do not want to invest any effort in a relationship get a dog.

Research studies indicate that people who have furry pets tend to live longer.

I think the answer is "no to give up" looking what makes you happy....and that's apply in any culture or country. Making a list of all your wants and needs, and all what you are willing to compromise in order to have a companionship, lover, or wife.

It s very important. I didn't do it before moving to Thailand.

I think for foreigners the big challenge to achieve is to brake the language barrier. Not so much can be accomplished without a good communication, with a good disposition, and/or with a good sense of humor.

Knowing the culture and the customs helps a lot to not form false judgments. Most of foreigners think that Thai women is only motivated by money when dating or marrying a foreigner, and may be true. But it is also true that Thai men, in particular the married and older ones, use money to seduce and maintain lovers and affairs. That, plus the common Thai cultural practice to use money to show affection and interest in every situation, creates a pattern, also reflected in loving relationships. I admit that it not easy to deal with that sometimes, and can creates conflicts and serious misunderstandings...but also... that what may be "serious" to foreigners may not to Thai people, because Thai people are very direct and western people people don't. At least in my case. How I can be 'serious" and upset, when in seconds the "serious" question or request is followed with a joke and a smile? I am glad I am changing my attitude about life, because my wife is teaching me to be more casual about things that are not really so important. Took me some time to find what I was looking for in Thailand, but after 3 failed marriages with western women, I found a younger Thai woman that is teaching me to really enjoy life. She also is teaching me to live the moment, and not to worry about the future. I hope she will be my wife forever. If not, I will be happy just thinking about the good times we had together.

Edited by thailampang2012
  • Like 2

Brother to the states?

Sure hope you weren't footing the tab for that boondoggle. I hope someone else doesn't pipe up with what I'm sure many of us are thinking. . .

Thanks for knowing what "many of us are thinking". I've yet to be able or interested in doing that.

• Like 1

As a single man who has failed in three Thai relationships so far I am probably vastly unqualified to offer anything here. I do know that all the arguments and problems I have had came down to thought processes and interpretation/language and the age old problem of insecurity and jealousy (btw I never cheated). The frustration of dealing with a thought process so different to mine caused me to lose my temper on so many occasions, which of course is a no-no here, further adding flames to the fire. Then followed the sulking which drives me crazy.

I have been single for the last eight months and it has been the most stress free time in the 7 years I have lived here. Maybe I am just not cut out to have an Anglo-Thai relationship. But I keep trying and hope the next one will be different (which is, I believe Einsteins definition of madness, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result).

Bottom line I suppose is that I have to change. The trouble is I know that it won't happen.

To those who have found the answer or the right person, I salute you.

Great Post.

I appreciate the honesty ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I have had girlfriends (and wives) from all over the world and my take is that every relationship needs lots of work. My girlfriend is my love first, Thai second.

From some posts, not necessarily on this thread, I get a feeling that some people are not willing to change or make sacrifices and then blame problems on the different cultures.

• Like 2

Yep ... communication is the channel you must use. It is unfortunate when common ground cannot be reached because of the inability to express your/her ideas to one another. Baby talk is not going to work.... I hope I can be proficient enough in Thai, and I do attempt to learn something new each day, but when I am upset, it is always going to be english that comes out. I have not yet seen my gal get angry....just sort of passive aggressive..... cooking the rice way after the curry is finished, or filling my hot coffee to the brim and handing it to me so I have to grab the hot part. That is about is bad as it ever got.

It would be on the brothers dime for travel IF he were to ever go, but accommodation would be provided!

The situation is more about his lack of awareness when dealing with non-Thais and any drive to try and understand another culture. When wife and I had the conversation we talked about each time he has gone to another country how he has said he didn't like it and Thailand is so much better. That I think was the deciding point at which she started to look at him from a different vantage point. The wife is very adventurous and is always on the up for a new experience. She even likes Indian and Lebanese food since going to the Middle East. This is a great contrast to the younger brother, who has shown none of her traits.

Our ability to talk about our problems in life and work together is what keeps us together,

The phrase do it the "Thai way" comes to mind. Been married to a Thai for 7 years and have a 2-year old daughter. Have lived in Thailand for the last 3 years. Maintain your Western ideals but mix them with the "Thai way" where possible. There are always disagreements but like in any relationship a solution can be found. I have to say that the one thing I really like about Thai's is that they will go into a strop for a day but after that everything is forgotten ... no grudges, no repercussions. Not at all like the "Western way" where we tend to harbor these things and let then get to us. Also be prepared to be second to the Thai family ... this is important to them ... they have been bought up to support their elders unlike the "Western way" which seems to be the opposite.

I wish my thai wife was that way. When we get in an argument she still brings up stuff that happened (or not) from 14 years ago and most of that didn't happen the way she remembers.

I think culture differences play a big part . My wife doesn't understand the in law theory . I know the saying marry the wife and you marry all the way down to the cousin she never met .. Sorry I cant go there . I was completely up front with her before we married . I will not live with your family and they will not live with us . We will not be the family bank of Thailand . Plain simple take it or leave it . Needless to say we have had a few spats , but mainly where it pertained to discussions and decisions with her family that I should have been included in on the front end and not after the fact . Then Im supposed to understand and agree with things I don't . Its kind of like I ll just do it and take my chances ..... So now last of May I have 6 of her family showing up for three days . Only place for them to sleep is a room we use for storage , no beds. The sofas are off limits to sleeping as is the livng room .... Oh well you know Thai people ,, that's what I always hear ..... B.S