Crackdown On Smuggled Goods And IP Infringement

Jai Dee

Customs Bureau cracks down on smuggled goods and IP infringement

The Customs Bureau has conducted a large-scale operation involving the seizure of smuggled goods and goods which violate Intellectual Property rights, the net haul being valued at more than 30 million baht.

Mr. Satit Limpongpan (สถิตย์ ลิ่มพงศ์พันธ), director-general of the Customs Bureau, stated that his agency has pushed forward in eradicating the smuggling of goods and violation of intellectual property rights, in order to protect key industries in the nation.

Mr. Satit stated that the Customs Bureau has planned and coordinated missions with the office of investigations and suppression, and the Bangkok Port Bureau Office, to apprehend smugglers of goods which violate intellectural property and tariffs.

More than 30 million baht worth of DVDs, purses, clothes, liquor, watches, and cosmetics were seized in the raid.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 June 2006

I don't know so I'm asking --

Isn't the Customs Bureau primarily concerned with goods which are trying to enter the Kingdom?

Am I supposed to take great comfort in believing that all pirated intellectual property being sold here is homegrown?

So even if it's true that:

More than 30 million baht worth of DVDs, purses, clothes, liquor, watches, and cosmetics were seized in the raid.

How are we to be sure that the pirated goods we are buying on the streets and sois of Thailand are the real McCoy -

Genuine Thai copies -

& not these sleazy cut-rate imported seized-and-resold-and-soon-to-be-re-resold fakes?

I just don't know who to trust anymore.

jb

Edited by joe beets

I don't know so I'm asking --

Isn't the Customs Bureau primarily concerned with goods which are trying to enter the Kingdom?

Am I supposed to take great comfort in believing that all pirated intellectual property being sold here is homegrown?

So even if it's true that:

How are we to be sure that the pirated goods we are buying on the streets and sois of Thailand are the real McCoy -

Genuine Thai copies -

& not these sleazy cut-rate imported seized-and-resold-and-soon-to-be-re-resold fakes?

I just don't know who to trust anymore.

jb

Someone didn't pay off :o:D:D

Actually, the Customs Department is a government agencies reporting to the Ministry of Finance. They do collect Customs taxes and duties but as well supervise promotion of manufacturing and export through tax measures and facilitation of international trade among other jobs.

So tax-evasion and 'let's see if this is smuggled' brings them into the picture.

Just like there Copy DVD raid they had a month or so ago, I still had no drama walking down Suk buying copyed dvd's, how could that be, there all over the place on suk! are the cops blind during there raids?

They apear to only hit the small, tiny, guys in the business!, anybody selling to us falung seem to have no problems, Funny That No? :o

Cheers

I came through Bangkok airport 2 days ago sailed through customs,met the wife near the terminal 2 taxi touts only to be jumped by 2 customs men,they politely asked me to open my suitcase....WHY...the customs man says because we think you may be trying to smuggle extra cigarettes into Thailand.To which i replied I WOULD NOT DO THAT OFFICER COS THEY ARE CHEAPER HERE.Anyway they soon got bored as i was so knackered i forgot the combination to my case.Is this part of the crack down you are describing?....and do their actions make any sense or am i still jet lagged ????