Lost departure card (TM6)

Ok, so somehow I've managed to lose my departure card. I have to go to immigration for a visa extension in a few days so I need to get a replacement. I'm a bit worried about trying to sort it out at immigration because the immigration center in Ladphrao (I'm in Bangkok) was pretty chaotic the last time I was there, and I've also heard of people being asked to get a police report first. I've read that people are generally successful getting a low hassle replacement at the airport when they leave. Is it possible for me to just go to the airport and get a new one, even though I'm not actually leaving the country?

Has anyone had any recent experience with this, either at the airport or at the temporary immigration office?

Just go to immigraiton and tell them you lost the card, they will give you a new card there.

Some offices require that you file a police report, but that would also depends on the kind of extension you are seeking. ( a yearly extension or an extension of a tourist visa). Can't recall that BKK-immigration requires a police report.

• Like 1

I suggest you get a police report before going to immigration.

Are you aware that Lad Phrao is not the only temporary office. There is also another office at Major Hollywood Suksawat which has been reported as being less busy.

Just go to immigraiton and tell them you lost the card, they will give you a new card there.

Some offices require that you file a police report, but that would also depends on the kind of extension you are seeking. ( a yearly extension or an extension of a tourist visa). Can't recall that BKK-immigration requires a police report.

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting a 90 day extension to an ED visa. My main concern is that the temporary immigration office was very busy last time I was there. Not the kind of place I'd want to get anything out of the ordinary done.

Edited by dcpo

I suggest you get a police report before going to immigration.

Are you aware that Lad Phrao is not the only temporary office. There is also another office at Major Hollywood Suksawat which has been reported as being less busy.

I wasn't aware it was less busy. I live on Ladphrao road hence my initial preference for that office. What's the procedure for getting a police report? Just turn up at a police station and ask for one at the desk I guess. Edited by dcpo

Just go to any police station and ask for it is correct.

If you have a copy of your departure card it would help at immigration (also with police report).

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a copy. I usually just keep it and my passport in the draw in my apartment where I put important documents. I was quite surprised to find it wasn't there when I looked for it to be honest.

I suspect your school may have a copy of your departure card.

I don't think my school has a copy of any of my departure cards. Certainly not the most recent one. Is it common for them to have one?

I've lost one twice when my passport was washed, never had a problem, they have them at passport control when you leave at Suvarnabhumi. Also immigrations was helpful to re-stamp some important dates in my passport. Don't worry.

Must remember to check my pockets when I come home from a trip...

Just go to any police station and ask for it is correct.

If you have a copy of your departure card it would help at immigration (also with police report).

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a copy. I usually just keep it and my passport in the draw in my apartment where I put important documents. I was quite surprised to find it wasn't there when I looked for it to be honest.

I'd suggest you draw a copy, buy a stapler, and keep these in a drawer.

Had the same problem myself in Samui a few years ago, Samui Immigration sent me to the airport and the took the dates from the stamp in my passport an re-issued the departure card complete with stamp, i got the impression it was a fairly regular request.

Its always a good idea to keep copiies of all documents. Passport, visa, driving licence, ect

Scan them into your computer then email them to yourself. Then you will have access to them wherever you are.

(Learned this from Thaivisa years ago but I forget who the poster was, so I can't give him/her credit)

• Like 2

Its always a good idea to keep copiies of all documents. Passport, visa, driving licence, ect

Scan them into your computer then email them to yourself. Then you will have access to them wherever you are.

(Learned this from Thaivisa years ago but I forget who the poster was, so I can't give him/her credit)

Or take a picture of it with your mobile/smart phone.

Most people seem to have them these days rather than scanners.

If you do have a computer it can be backed up, emailed etc etc.

hi dcpo

Because I am a newbie here, I went through the same worry as you. but its OK, they dish them out at the airport, I asked at the check in desk and they told me as I go through Passport control, there would be someone to collect them from, sure enough, the staff ( at Suvarnabhumi ) will ask everybody if they need a new one, the only thing that is officially stamped on the one you lost is your arrival date, but that is stamped in your passport anyway.

good trip

Loosing a TM6 departure and then leaving the country is easy to take care of at airport or border.

If you have to go to immigration for an extension of stay for other reasons it is a different story all together. Some offices will just just hand you a new one to fill out while others will want a police report. To save another trip to immigration I always suggest getting a police report before going.

Having copies/scans/pictures of passport photo page and any other relevant pages plus departure card is a very good thing to have in case of a lost passport or just the departure card. It can make everything much easier.

First of all, thanks to those who offered advice. Following this advice I went to Suthisan police station last Friday afternoon to get a police report of the loss. This went smoothly. No wait, no fee. Today I went to immigration. Again no problem. I was asked a couple of times why I didn't have a TM6 but I just apologized for losing it and showed them the police report, which they accepted without further questioning. I was asked to make a photocopy of the report though, which was then filed along with the other documents in my application.

• 1 year later...

My situation is a bit different. Arrived back into the Kingdom, mid May 2015. There was a huge line-up at Immigration (Suvarnabhumi Airport). Wife and I filled in a TM6 each. . We got split into 2 line up's. As soon as I got my passoprt back, I noticed that I ended up with no TM6. Due to my wife carrying both with her. Immigration officer said 'mai pen rai'.

Following advice posted on this thread,. I will file a Police Report.

I report for an TM 7 extension, next week. I will post whether it was necessary or not.

• 1 month later...

Been today at Immigration Promenada here in Chiang Mai as my TM6 also got lost somewhere. Seems to happen all the time and they can't be bothered with Officer at the desk in flower shirt ;) told me just keep the copy, which I luckily have, that's good enough. No new card, no police report, just easy going.