TAT to spend 20 million baht to boost tourism during Songkran Festival

webfact

TAT to spend ฿20 million to boost tourism during Songkran Festival

PNECO570313001000301_13032014_123518.jpg

BANGKOK, 13 Mar 2014 (NNT) -- According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the agency will spend 20 million baht on promotional campaigns for the upcoming Songkran Festival.

Ms. Wilaiwan Twitsri, Deputy Governor for the TAT’s Goods and Tourism Division said that mainly the budget would be used to promote Songkran-related activities in 13 provinces, deemed the most popular sites for the festival. The 13 areas include Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Sukhothai, Chonburi, Suphanburi, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Phanom, Khon Kaen, Nhong Kai, Songkhla, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phuket, and Samut Prakan Provinces.

The Deputy Governor expected that Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Chonburi would see more than 200,000 visitors during the festive period.

She said that the TAT would this year promote 2 types of Songkran activities; one with a focus on traditional rites with rich cultural tastes and the other underlining fun activities like water splashing. Ms. Wilaiwan said that in the latter type, the TAT would provide tourists with information on how to proceed with water splashing appropriately and safely as the number of foreign visitors increases every year to enjoy the activity.

She said other interesting traditions such as alms giving, merit making and the rituals of sprinkling lustral or scented water on the older folks and Buddha images would also be promoted among foreign visitors.

Ms. Wilaiwan has estimated that this year’s Songkran would generate 4.3 billion baht and would welcome more than 1.48 million participants, both Thai and foreign.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-13 footer_n.gif

Spend the hard eared cash--Ha Ha----on water to drought areas, 20 million baht, FOOLS.

How do you control the people that are near Pi##ed out of their minds, to sprinkle rather than drown passing motorists.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

TAT To Organise 13-Province Songkran Events
By Khaosod English

13946939331394694505l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is preparing the celebration of Thai traditional New Years festival which would be held in 13 provinces.

Although Songkran is officially observed with public holidays on 13-15 April, the TAT plans to extend the celebration to span from 6 to 20 April in order to attract tourists from all over the world, said Ms. Wilaiwan Tawitsri, deputy director of the TAT's commodity and tourism business department.

The events will cost 20 million baht in budget, Ms. Wilaiwan said, but in return they are slated to draw approximately 1.48 million tourists, both Thai and foreign, and generate over 4.3 billion baht in revenue. The vast majority of the tourists would be Thais, Ms. Wilai added.

The 13 provinces are named as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Sukhotai, Chonburi, Suphanburi, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Phanom, Khon Kaen, Nong Kai, Hat Yai, Nakhon Si Thammarat, and Samut Prakarn. However, Ms. Wilaiwan expected that most of the events and visitors would be concentrated in the provinces of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, and Chonburi due to their unique "traditions".

The TAT will promote cultural activities such as temple tours and traditional Songkran ceremonies alongside the renowned water fights, according to Ms. Wilaiwan.

Some local communities will also host unique cultural Songkran celebrations, such as the Mon ethnic community in Sangkhlaburi district of Kanchanaburi province.

However, Ms. Wilaiwan expressed concern that foreign tourists might not be informed of "appropriate" ways to participate in waterfights and other activities during Songkran festival.

Alcohol-fuled crimes such as sexual harassment and car accidents have plagued Songkran festival in the past years, and the authorities have struggled to stamp out the problems.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1394693933

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-03-13

How about using it to hire buses .And the falang morons who actually try to knock people off motorbikes and drench well groomed people going to work be bussed to airport and sent home. No trial. Nothing. And a 10 year ban on returning. Or alternatively fine them a million baht.

• Like 1

By Khaosod English

It's morons like this I came here to get away from, please do not encourage these stupid clowns, spend the money on something good like education, not wasting water on stupid foreigners

• Like 1

Spend the hard eared cash--Ha Ha----on water to drought areas, 20 million baht, FOOLS.

How do you control the people that are near Pi##ed out of their minds, to sprinkle rather than drown passing motorists.

Yep....my old girlfriend was a rice farmers daughter from Isaan. She came to live with me here in Phuket. Two years back all of her village had lost their rice crop because of drought. In the thick of the water splashing at Sapan Hin my girl squeezed my hand and then started sobbing. When I asked what was wrong...she told me that she could not believe how much good water was being wasted while people in her village had none.

I detest songkran and most often try to avoid it all together by going to a little undeveloped Island that I know.

• Like 2

OK, lets look at this.

THB 20 millions expense budget in view of THB 4.3 billions revenue = expense being 0.0046% of revenue expected - definitely a really great deal.

1.48 millions participants (in a country with approx. 80 million citizens) = conclusion in this case is, that Khun Wilaiwan is sponsoring each and every Chinese plastic water gun with THB 13.50!

Way to go TAT, way to go indeed! Are these guys serious? The country is falling apart and they talk about TAT’s endless, yet successful endeavours in making TAT the laughing stock of this country!

Apart from a few young kids and I mean young it starts here ( Phrachaup) with a procession at 10 am and its over by sunset.. quite enjoyable and also avoidable should you wish, I hardly think 14 days of mayhem will catch on.

The 13 provinces are named as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Sukhotai, Chonburi, Suphanburi, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Phanom, Khon Kaen, Nong Kai, Hat Yai, Nakhon Si Thammarat, and Samut Prakarn.

Since when is Hat Yai a province?

And 12 equals 13 in TAT numbers, yes.

Edited by JoeThePoster
  • Like 1

By Khaosod English

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is preparing the celebration of Thai traditional New Years festival which would be held in 13 provinces.

Although Songkran is officially observed with public holidays on 13-15 April, the TAT plans to extend the celebration to span from 6 to 20 April in order to attract tourists from all over the world, said Ms. Wilaiwan Tawitsri, deputy director of the TAT's commodity and tourism business department.

The events will cost 20 million baht in budget, Ms. Wilaiwan said, but in return they are slated to draw approximately 1.48 million tourists, both Thai and foreign, and generate over 4.3 billion baht in revenue. The vast majority of the tourists would be Thais, Ms. Wilai added.

The 13 provinces are named as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Sukhotai, Chonburi, Suphanburi, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Phanom, Khon Kaen, Nong Kai, Hat Yai, Nakhon Si Thammarat, and Samut Prakarn. However, Ms. Wilaiwan expected that most of the events and visitors would be concentrated in the provinces of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, and Chonburi due to their unique "traditions".

The TAT will promote cultural activities such as temple tours and traditional Songkran ceremonies alongside the renowned water fights, according to Ms. Wilaiwan.

Some local communities will also host unique cultural Songkran celebrations, such as the Mon ethnic community in Sangkhlaburi district of Kanchanaburi province.

However, Ms. Wilaiwan expressed concern that foreign tourists might not be informed of "appropriate" ways to participate in waterfights and other activities during Songkran festival.

Alcohol-fuled crimes such as sexual harassment and car accidents have plagued Songkran festival in the past years, and the authorities have struggled to stamp out the problems.

kse.png

Ah.. is that two ''High End Tourists'' that i see ???

A suggestion to ''TAT'' rather than waste 20 million Baht to boost tourism, spend the money to make ''Thailand'' more safer for Tourists, and you might see an increase..

Hate to say it, but there is a lot of negativity comes out of Thailand on the Foreign news stands..

Just my two cents worth...

When you compare to the bulk of border hopping Burmese, Laotians, etc and use the amount of money spent in Thailand as the scale, yeah, they just might be the ultra-high-end two week millionaires.

By Khaosod English

kse.png

And isn't it dangerous if your pregnant, really the one in blue should be relaxing.giggle.gif

• Like 1

Yep....my old girlfriend was a rice farmers daughter from Isaan. She came to live with me here in Phuket. Two years back all of her village had lost their rice crop because of drought. In the thick of the water splashing at Sapan Hin my girl squeezed my hand and then started sobbing. When I asked what was wrong...she told me that she could not believe how much good water was being wasted while people in her village had none.

I detest songkran and most often try to avoid it all together by going to a little undeveloped Island that I know.

How sad a story, gosh brings another meaning to it... feel for your Girlfriend....

I also ''Detest'' Songran, childish and dangerous..

How sad a story, gosh brings another meaning to it... feel for your Girlfriend....

I also ''Detest'' Songran, childish and dangerous..

Should be focused on Thais, and ONE day, enjoy it, save water. A no no on inter town roads, NO throwing AT motorists, NO tubs of water on pick-ups with kids in the back. There are some fantastic events local authorities could organize on the one day away from the highways.