Can you freeze Camembert

ericpasansai

Of course.but I doubt you would wish to eat it later.

You need to allow a slow defrost so here in LOS

best remove from freezer

Then place in fridge and then carefully place in the bin or cheeseboard for really unwanted relatives,despite unfamiliar with the stuff hints to its viagara like side effects will give you hours of amusemnt as local limp Lotharios force it down.

For personal use its a fine sox smell emulator I think you will have more satisfation with Bleu de Bresse or Stilton

Boner petit

Edited by onthedarkside

i rarely find frozen cheese turns out well, usually messes with the texture as has been said.

the general consensus if you are going to cook with it fine, if you are going to serve it, not so much.

As cheese has a high fat content it freezes well but as mentioned an aged soft variety will lose some of it's texture and aroma but should be fine. All fresh or living ingredients suffer from freezing but if not for too long and defrosted correctly they will retain many of thier original properties.

Thai's don't eat it and 'all farang are rich'!!!!

i think if you peruse the cheese section at any of the stores you will see that many, many Thais do in fact purchase and eat cheese. even more so the case in Bangkok.

Dumb Question.....but why is Cheese so expensive here?

Yeh, I know it is imported but even so.......

there is locally made cheese but quite honestly you might as well be eating rubber. it has absolutely no taste whatsoever. i guess they don't understand the aging process and/or have cool rooms/basements like in Europe to age the cheeses. there's more to it of course. it's a skill.

otherwise you answered your own question....it's imported. just like the crazy prices for imported fruits, wines, etc...taxes are passed on to the consumer.

Am i missing something here?

Why on earth would anyone want to/need to freeze any type of cheese?

because now I have the opportunity to get great cheeses and I am the only one in my family who eats it. I can only eat so much and I don't want to throw it out

I wouldn't freeze cheese in general, Supermarkets keep the cheeses at the right temperatures for a reason, freezing changes the texture and moisture content, enzymes and other good stuff that makes cheese what it is

kevvy

• Like 1

I wouldn't freeze cheese in general, Supermarkets keep the cheeses at the right temperatures for a reason, freezing changes the texture and moisture content, enzymes and other good stuff that makes cheese what it is

kevvy

I agree. Don't freeze. Cheese will keep for months in a regular fridge so long as you keep well wrapped in some sort of cling film.

• Like 1

Am i missing something here?

Why on earth would anyone want to/need to freeze any type of cheese?

because now I have the opportunity to get great cheeses and I am the only one in my family who eats it. I can only eat so much and I don't want to throw it out

If i were in your position i would give it to my friends, rather than throw it out...smile.png

I have frozen both Camemburt and Brie and when thawed out in the fridge both have been fine, difficult to tell that it had been frozen. I leave in the freezer in the Uk and return most years and take out enough for a week or so each time I am running low. I usually buy whole rounds from a Cash and Carry when on special or reduced so too much to consume before it is over ripe. Like most things put poor quality in the freezer you will take out poor quality. Put in frying steak and you dont get out fillet. If it is tough, then it was tough when it went in, the freezer is not to blame. I have heard many excuses that this or the other does not freeze well, usually not true. Make sure every thing is well wrapped and sealed, I have a vacpack machine which certainly helps but otherwise clingflim and a sealed container works just as well. If leaving for even a few days put several ice cubes around the freezer. If they are melted then you have had a power cut and can check with neighbours how long the power had been off. Usually an unopened freezer will maintain frozen food for up to 24 hours but ice will melt after a few hours so do the usual checks with anything you take out and ensure it it is well cooked if it passes the smell an appearance test.