PM given 15 more days to defend against rice charges

Lite Beer

I agree 100%! I think she should be banned or 5 years or more if possible for the rice scheme. She clearly was derelict in doing her job. Clearly she knew it was a financial fiasco, but she continued it. If that isn't malfeasance, then I don't know what is.

What I disagree with is jailing her, because there were rumors of corruption and she didn't act on the rumors. There are no charges directly against her for corruption, only that she could have heard rumors and didn't Act on what she heard. Due to this, they are making it out to where she is as guilty as those who stole the money. I disagree with this.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

She is charged with negligence. The charges of corruption will come later when evidence of her profiting from this policy is presented.
Negligence is a given. However, under 157, she can be put in jail without evidence of her profiting from this policy. Under 157 it doesn't matter. They just need proof that she was aware of rumors that corruption may have existed to be given a jail sentence.

Where do you draw the line?

I don't accept "rumours". The policy was tried before under her brother's government and was known to enable corruption, with IIRC only 37% reaching farmers, and most of the recipients were far from poor. She re-implemented the policy without remedial changes KNOWING it to be a source of corruption, and claiming it was to raise the income of POOR farmers, KNOWING that it had failed to do any such thing.

If the court doesn't accept rumors, since there is apparently no proof that she, herself, took any money under the rice scheme, then with your way she would be innocent of criminal actions and only guilty of negligence, which she has already been accused of.

If criminal actions come into play, it can happen under section 157 of The Thai Criminal Code (English translation from Samuiforsale.com):

"Whoever, being an official, wrongfully exercises or does not exercise any of his functions to the injury of any person, or dishonestly exercises or omits to exercise any of his functions, shall be punished with imprisonment of one to ten years or fined of two thousand to twenty thousand baht, or both."

There appears to be enough proof to indict her criminally due to the rumors of corruption occurring that she didn't act on. We will see how this plays out.

This is a great article about the rice scheme:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/auditor-general-tells-caretaker-pm-scrap-rice-pledging-scheme/