She want's a motorbike for her birthday but has no licence.....

A better ? is why does a kid see op as a ATM? The answer is probably coz everyone else sees him as ATM and treats him that way.

Kids pick up on things like that.

So now op should be asking is it time to do a RUN FOREST RUN!

maybe the old man is alone and prefer to pay people to like him until death?

YES this is a possibility!

Another alternative is BEAGLES-dont need to pay them. They just fine with their 4 feets.............lol.

Edited by choochoo

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am i hearing this correct?

You just purchase the licence without a test on any instruction?

Are there any driving schools or road awareness course's here?

Thanks

It might be worse than that.

My GF told me she got her car driver's license without ever having driven in a real traffic situation.

They only test if you are able to park and steer around a few bolllards, on your own, in a completely sealed-off area. In other words a "driving license" is more or less only a "parking license". Apparently, this is the norm...

Perhaps someone can confirm this, or whether she managed to pull off something unusual (?)

They can park???? incredible! seems when Im at the supermarket it takes some moron about 20 attempts to get between two cars when 10 yards away there are 3 spaces empty all in a line.

For those of you who recommend a 16 year old vilage girl get a job. What kind of job? Im sure she sees all the girl with money arent picking fruit or rice.................lol.

Many come to BKK for work often sharing 5-6-7-8 to a room in "normal" jobs..........my Wife did just this for about 8 years from age 14 until her salary increased to 12k a month, then she got her own cheap rental.

You dont seriously think they all open their legs for money do you?

Your step daughter wants a bike????

She is in Petchabun?

Have you learned nothing, in all these years?

If she wants to kill herself on a boyfriend's bike, that is up to her.

Not your responsibility!

Pressure from who?

Wise up old chap!

Sorry to sound heartless!

Box of chocolates, maybe?

Brilliant post, let the step daughter do what she wants with her own money.

I would like to add: or with the money from her (real) dad or mom

When you buy her a motorbike you will also take the insurance that goes with it...most of the the 16 year (and younger) old don't have a drivers license,( it would rather be exeptional)...But it's nice that you think about it...

By the way, when I went for my car drivers license, I saw Thai people comming back for the 7th time because they didn't succeed the test...but they all drove their own pick-up as it was normal.

When you buy her a motorbike you will also take the insurance that goes with it...most of the the 16 year (and younger) old don't have a drivers license,( it would rather be exeptional)...But it's nice that you think about it...

By the way, when I went for my car drivers license, I saw Thai people comming back for the 7th time because they didn't succeed the test...but they all drove their own pick-up as it was normal.

Seventh time, hmmmmm, you were there a long time it seems............coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Seventh time, hmmmmm, you were there a long time it seems............coffee1.gif

Yep and finally passed the test after eight tries.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

You and the wife MUST be on the same page with this decision: You need to have

HOUSE RULES and stick to them....You want a motorbike, be responsible enough to

get a license. You must wear a hemet, If you are seen driving CRAZY with more than

two people on the bike or no hemmet, I GET IT BACK AND SELL IT.....These are the RULES.

I think we've lost topic as question was how to get drivers license for bike. It's easy if she has normal intelligence... Just find her local dmv and they have theory courses in morning for about two hrs. Then it's tests of eyes, reflexes and a simple driving exam. All passed pay for license 100 and total around 700 baht for the whole thing. Reason for buying her a bike is your private choice, but hope she's worth it!

Ps. Insurance is pretty worthless if you don't have a drivers license so insist or NO bike

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I had same thing with my wife's daughter who I take as my daughter. I told her to get a license, her brother took her down to the license centre and she got it on her second visit. Tell her it is easy and that you are not giving her an iPhone as you want to give her a bike and tell her how proud you will be.

Buy here a 300 cc Honda skooter,driver licence paper will not save her life if another drunk driver

crashes her with his truck,so dont bother, this is thailand ,relax,it's not england with all the does and dont's !

Buy also an i-phone ,because she only need 1 hand to steer the bike ,so, plenty of things to do with an i-phone

whilst driving,isn't it?Tell her only pussies slow down in a bent and dont sit in the middle of the saddle,better sit on 1 cheeck

looking verry cool !

Now do this ,make here and your wife happy ! And probably you will be happy a little bit later ?

Does she know how to drive a scooter? If you want to give her a scooter than first of all teach her how to drive. It is most important. I agree with you that scooter is much more safe than an iphone. I think licence is not a big issue.

So you can go with scooter.

Actually there are ...a few honda centres hold very good ones.

All kids at high school here should (my neice did) do a course which covers the test requirements for the driver's licence.

The practical test is all off road but does require a fair degree of bike control.

Many US states allow 15 year olds to ride a moped without a licence and while a scooter has greater capabilities than 30mph they are rarely driven at that speed round the towns here.

Things are getting tougher and you may find villages that do not worry but they are catching up just as when I grew up in Australia to get a licence in the country the first question the cop would ask was. Is that your car out front." Then "Did you drive it here?"

If you answered yes to those qquestions you left with a licence covering car truck and bike.

Ha Ha I remember the good old easy days, my sons got their licence in the sticks that way (Innot Hot springs) NQLD

Who bought me a new motorcycle when I turned 16? I did. Who also bought me a nice used car? I did.

From age about 12 to 14 I had a paper route and saved money. Then I got lucky and got a job in a bakery and tripled my income. From about 14 I still saved. When I turned 16 I had the money to buy a brand new motorcycle (Honda 50, 5555) and a nice used car. I also paid for the licenses and insurance.

If I had asked my parents for that Honda 50 for my birthday I would have been told to go wash their car.

What's with kids today? Do we just give them everything they want and think it's good for them?

Indeed, i agree with you.

I too was working a part time job at 14.

Where the step daughter lives is a long way from the market where she has a part time job.

Hence the bike would be practicable for work and school

I believe now it should not be a one off gift but a part gift and part monthly return payments to make her value it and respect it.

In all honesty i can not see this working here though.

I am considering one posters advice of just sending a few thousand baht and having nothing more to do with the idea.

If they have picked up just a slight clue you have even considered buying the bike, you have opened pandoras box.

Unless you mean a few thousand baht to equal 30,000 your in the dog house for a while.. possibly a long while.

Should have whacked it on the head as soon as it was mentioned.

I bet the wife has no objections??? Of course she wouldn't!!!!!

Does she know how to drive a scooter? If you want to give her a scooter than first of all teach her how to drive. It is most important. I agree with you that scooter is much more safe than an iphone. I think licence is not a big issue.

God, what's wrong here? How do you teach a girl that has nothing to do with the foreigner, beside staying with her mom now? Or let's put it this way. Would this girl even be able, and want to communicate with the same guy she wants to have a scooter from?

Too many older children of Thai women married to foreigners don't even show the needed respect. How can you make such a statement that a scooter would be "more safe" than an Iphone?

Have you ever heard that somebody hot killed riding on it?

I bought my own Hercules K50 when I was 16, then my first big bike when I was 18. There was no law until I turned 20 to wear a helmet and we were really speeding on big bikes doing 180 km/h still inside the city, not wearing a helmet.

An aunt gave me a few bucks, but I had to buy my own stuff, even coming from a rich family.

So the OP just want s to buy a bike, even when the girl doesn't want to make such an easy driver's license?

If my wife would insist me doing that, I'd just tell her to take off to her daughter. Please don't misunderstand me, but she seems to have a real daddy, right?

Whatever your wife's telling you how useful such a scooter would be. Seems that you're a walking ATM machine, that can buy anything anybody of the family wants.

Your question is a tough one, as we don't know your relationship to your wife. Understandable that she's thinking about her daughter, but she's obviously more worth than you.

Have you ever considered to buy a second hand bike, you could easily get for 5 K and she'd have a bike to get to school and to work?

But no, it has to be a new scooter. Up to you, OP.

God, what's wrong here? How do you teach a girl that has nothing to do with the foreigner, beside staying with her mom now? Or let's put it this way. Would this girl even be able, and want to communicate with the same guy she wants to have a scooter from?

Too many older children of Thai women married to foreigners don't even show the needed respect. How can you make such a statement that a scooter would be "more safe" than an Iphone?

I bought my own Hercules K50 when I was 16, then my first big bike when I was 18. There was no law until I turned 20 to wear a helmet and we were really speeding on big bikes doing 180 km/h still inside the city, not wearing a helmet.

An aunt gave me a few bucks, but I had to buy my own stuff, even coming from a rich family.

So the OP just want s to buy a bike, even when the girl doesn't want to make such an easy driver's license?

If my wife would insist me doing that, I'd just tell her to take off to her daughter. Please don't misunderstand me, but she seems to have a real daddy, right?

Whatever your wife's telling you how useful such a scooter would be. Seems that you're a walking ATM machine, that can buy anything anybody of the family wants.

Your question is a tough one, as we don't know your relationship to your wife. Understandable that she's thinking about her daughter, but she's obviously more worth than you.

Have you ever considered to buy a second hand bike, you could easily get for 5 K and she'd have a bike to get to school and to work?

So the OP just wants to buy a bike, even when the girl doesn't want to make such an easy driver's license?

If my wife would insist of me doing that, I'd just tell her to take off to go and stay with her daughter. Please don't misunderstand me, but she seems to have a real daddy, right?

So the OP just wants to buy a bike, even when the girl doesn't want to make such an easy driver's license?

If my wife would insist of me doing that, I'd just tell her to take off to go and stay with her daughter. Please don't misunderstand me, but she seems to have a real daddy, right?

Whatever your wife's telling you how useful such a scooter would be. Seems that you're a walking ATM machine, that can buy anything, anybody of the family wants.

I really dislike this presumption of the Thais that all farangs are super duper hyper billionaires, like they see on television, and sees them nothing more than an ATM machine. It is because of the likes of the OP this image of farangs keeps validated in the minds of Thais and keeps treating us that way. These farangs keep throwing money around just because ''it is so much cheaper than back home''... foolish. Please educate yourself about local economics/micro economics. Overpaying locally is just plain stupid IMHO. Would you overpay in your homecountry? the hell you would, you rather cheap out on most things, cause that is the smart thing to do, so why being stupid in Thailand?...

Another thing is, the power of pussy. It is powerful anywhere in the world, but at least it is super cheap in Thailand, compared to western countries, and it's availability is in much greater quantity. So it has less power here, but farangs still have this ingrained in their minds that the pussy hold power over them, the power of pussy is strong in the West,. There is so much fish here, why would you be affraid to lose one?...

So the farang keeps overpaying, even for pussy, overpaying for what a particular pussy is worth. Examplem, paying millions in sinsot to marry a brown skinned ex bargirl with 2 children from her past marriage with a Thai guy... This is a classic, with many similar and variations and one of the most imprtant one why Thais think we are so stupid. We westerners do not grasp the concept of Asian culture.

Wake up man, this ain't the West, where you must do everything your wife wants, to have sex. If she doesn't respect you and your money, then get another one who does, there is plenty nice women out there, so don't be afrraid to ditch this one.

Generally good points.

On the second general point, it does indeed seem puzzling. As a possible explanation, perhaps some farang in Thailand are used to be in a weak negotiation position vs. women (even bar-girls), for whatever reason. Some (understandable) reasons could be low self esteem, weak financial situation, poor health, alcohol/substance over-use, sex addiction or even age (!), or any combinations of those.

Edited by Cosmo88

She's demanding an iPhone or a Scooter?

Tell her to pick one and that you will pay half and she will have to earn the other half.

That's how we teach responsibility in the West.

Your money, your rules.

If she doesn't like it, get her a Justin Beiber CD

Spend $600 on a 16 year old girl and I can guarantee that iPhone will be lost/stolen or loaned to a "friend" and not returned or that scooter will suffer the same fate within a few months if she doesn't have any skin in the game.

I wanted a car when I was 16 - I started working a paper route when I was 14 to earn the money and saved up enough money to buy a decent car by the time I was 17. I then worked P/T after school to pay the insurance.

I treated that car like it was made of solid gold.

Had someone just handed it to me on my 16th Birthday, I seriously doubt I would have taken such good care of it, but since I put so much time and sweat into earning it, I took very good care of it.

This girl sounds spoiled and could use a good life lesson and that the farang is not an ATM

Nice someone is prepared to buy a 16 year old a present worth the equafilant of 6 months wages.......... Wow in OZ that's like 240.000 bucks. Get a dress or t shirt. Safe. Sensible and what most would expect

Add to that, most Thais buy a token prezzie........