Hello to you too an unknown rider.

Shurup

Been mostly riding my cruiser around isaan with some occasional trips South. Most of my "hello" waves to other big bikes were ignored so I stopped waving.

Today took the Ninja to Korat and got waved at while on a highway. Was kind of surprised so by the time I reacted and waved back, the guy was past me. So hello to you too whoever you were.

This got me thinking why cruiser riders don't wave at sport bike riders and the other way around. Who started not waving or ignoring the waves: sport bikers or cruiser riders?

Do you wave to every big bike or just to the same type of bike you ride, or not at all?

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

When ridinfg a sport bike actually I'm riding around 120-130 on a 2 lane highway and 140 to 150 on 4 lane (traffic permiting) so I'm just too busy watching the road so don't notice what's on the oncoming lane unless I'm passing, so automatically I don't wave. On a cruiser however I'm riding at the lower rate of speed so I see more of the scenery and notice other riders but then my waves get ignored?

I can say I got nods few times, and was always thai guys on big bikes, 2 times I got tumbs up from cbr riders. From foreigners never, they ll look on the others side. Last time was this week, elderly farang on a ducati :). Since its a rare thing I dont do it, I was ignored once and also I dont expect it so it happened that I ignored one time someone who nodded at me.

In the USA its easier, and common, to wave at all other bikes, with the left hand, keeping the right on the throttle.

Actually its not a true wave as in back and forth, rather a cool downward pointing gesture.

Here riding on the wrong side, waving just ain't the same.

• Like 1

When ridinfg a sport bike actually I'm riding around 120-130 on a 2 lane highway and 140 to 150 on 4 lane (traffic permiting) so I'm just too busy watching the road so don't notice what's on the oncoming lane unless I'm passing, so automatically I don't wave. On a cruiser however I'm riding at the lower rate of speed so I see more of the scenery and notice other riders but then my waves get ignored?

Oh well never mind, anyway if you see a rusty old pink bicycle with stabelisers and I don't wave, then at least you'll know it's me feeling safer with both hands on the handle bars...blink.png

Edited by MB1

i only get nods from thai guys on bikes, they even sit at the front of the lights and shoot shit about custom parts and the price...mechanical problems ect, then its off zooming through the traffic to the next set of light where it continues,

Had farangs with harleys next to me but they just act like your not there...its ok with me,

i ride a cbr 250giggle.gif

Oh well never mind, anyway if you see a rusty old pink bicycle with stabelisers and I don't wave, then at least you'll know it's me feeling safer with both hands on the handle bars...blink.png

Big falang on a pink bicycle will get my wave, just don't get any wrong ideas. LOL :D

• Like 1

I can say I got nods few times, and was always thai guys on big bikes, 2 times I got tumbs up from cbr riders. From foreigners never, they ll look on the others side. Last time was this week, elderly farang on a ducati :). Since its a rare thing I dont do it, I was ignored once and also I dont expect it so it happened that I ignored one time someone who nodded at me.

Mutual nods usually come from all the riders of all big bikes while we stop on a traffic light and check out each other's ride, but while riding this gesture is getting ignored by most.

O get over it I have never figured out all of the waving and nodding at people I will never see again, you passed me in a flash and if I am riding correctly I am looking 360 around me more worried about Somchai pulling infront of me 100yardss down the road. If you are so insecure you need a complete stranger to wave at you go see a mental health counselor. But if you are stopped along the road I will stop and make sure you are ok and are not in need of assistance

I nod to other sportbike riders if they're properly geared-up, and I'll return the rare wave I receive.

I guess that means I shouldn't wave to sport bike rider's then.

You can wave to little kids on bicycles if you want.

It was rare for cruiser riders to acknowledge me (and vis versa) when I rode in the States- it doesn't happen in Thailand ever, and I tend to take little if any notice of them as I don't know (or care about) the particulars of the bikes they ride- it's not a matter of disrespect, but rather one of noticing people who share an interest similar to mine beyond the simple act of riding a motorcycle- sorry if your feelings are hurt.

I always stick my left leg out when I've overtaken another bike. Just a little non threatening acknowledgement.

Good to see people learning to be Thai. :)

Next step is to lift your ass off the seat and wave it at the others when you're in the 'lead' and they won't be able to catch up.

I suppose it makes up for having a tiny penis or something. :D

^ It's quite a common gesture of courtesy in the UK. Just means no offence intended when you overtake someone. Most Thais don't understand the concept of ettiquete on the road and the only movement I've seen them execute with their hand is that silly waving motion by the passenger(s) in the direction the bike's turning :)

I do wave at all drivers who pull to the left to let me by- I like to encourage that sort of behavior.

This excludes 99% of the Thai riders as they either don't have the rear view mirrors or don't use them. Happened many times that they pull out in front of you overtaking the other slow rider and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting them (on both bike and a car).

^

I was referring to car/SUV/truck drivers more than fellow riders- when I approach from the rear with my HID lights on, they often move to the side to let me by.;)

Ah, yes it's nice when it happen, good idea waving at them, like a "thank you". I usually pull to the shoulder too when I drive a car (for any vehicle and not just a bike), the way I look at it, if they want to pass, let them, they will be gone from my view in a minute and wont bother me anyway, don't like seeing someone sitting on my arse trying to pass.

I nod to other sportbike riders if they're properly geared-up, and I'll return the rare wave I receive.

I guess that means I shouldn't wave to sport bike rider's then.

You can wave to little kids on bicycles if you want.

It was rare for cruiser riders to acknowledge me (and vis versa) when I rode in the States- it doesn't happen in Thailand ever, and I tend to take little if any notice of them as I don't know (or care about) the particulars of the bikes they ride- it's not a matter of disrespect, but rather one of noticing people who share an interest similar to mine beyond the simple act of riding a motorcycle- sorry if your feelings are hurt.

I do not think is all that rare.

You cannot hurt my feelings but I did take exception to the " sportbike riders if they are properly geared up" portion of your comment. I do not ride a sportbike and I will never wear all the gear that "properly geared up sportbike riders" wear. Or does properly geared up mean not wearing t shirt, shorts and flip-flops.