Thai Gov. pension for foreigner?

A few years ago I have read an article in the Bangkok Post that foreigner who worked at least 15 years in Thailand and are aged 55 are entitled to get 15 or 20% pension from their salary - but I cant fin any confirmation about that.

Any update or personal experience from other foreigner working in Thailand and paying tax and social founds?

Thanks Mr.J

free healthcare for foreigners no longer available.

Yes, it is available here in Surin. I just signed up three days ago and my card is valid immediately (no one month waiting time) in every Thai government hospital we were told.

Edited by Dario

Not only no longer available, two days ago I got a phone call from Doi Saket hospital telling me insurance for falangs is now cancelled and to go there on Monday to collect 2,200 baht which I had previously paid, no refund of the 600 baht for the x ray and blood test which were only required in order to get the insurance. I never used the insurance cover in the three months I had it.

Not only no longer available, two days ago I got a phone call from Doi Saket hospital telling me insurance for falangs is now cancelled and to go there on Monday to collect 2,200 baht which I had previously paid, no refund of the 600 baht for the x ray and blood test which were only required in order to get the insurance. I never used the insurance cover in the three months I had it.

We know that about Doi Saket hospital. They don't accept the card, but here they do.

I am talkng about pension not health care for farangs...............

Yes a farang is entitled to a pension in Thailand if they have worked so many years in thailand, look at the link provided by "pib" Edited by Soutpeel

Yes, you qualify IF during those 15 years you and your employer has been putting money into social security for you. If you have a work permit and medical insurance through social security, then they have.

Yes, it is available here in Surin. I just signed up three days ago and my card is valid immediately (no one month waiting time) in every Thai government hospital we were told.

Some parts of the country still issue the cards. Some never did. Some did but have stopped.

But in no case was it free, though it is very low cost.

20% based on the previous three years isnt that bad.......opens up the question of paying more tax & insurance to show a higher salary. Considering that deductions on a salary of 50k is approx 4K (8%)...sounds a pretty good deal, especially if you can retire at 55

Edited by PattayaPhom

Some parts of the country still issue the cards. Some never did. Some did but have stopped.

But in no case was it free, though it is very low cost.

It's 30 Baht every time. Probably initiated during Thaksin Shinawatra's premiership.

• 5 months later...

This is an interesting thread.

Last week, a few foreign members of our company were awarded a lump sum from the Thai government.

Like a pension pay out. They had paid Thai tax for around 10 years each.

The payment wasn't massive. Around 50,000 baht I think.

Brings up the question.

What exactly are foreigners entitled to if they pay Thai tax?

Does anyone really know the rules please?

The article pib posted was a reasonable summary.

It s a bit out of date now in parts eg NI is now back at 5% of salary up to 15k after a temp reduction in previous years. But still a reasonable idea of ball parks

Bear in mind also the 15k cap that crops up frequently. You re not going to get rich quick on it. That s why I say the ball parks or ok too as 3% or 5% on 15k you re talking a couple of hundred baht diff.

I appreciate for some Thai s it could make a difference. But you really dont want ti be in a situation as an expat that this makes an important diff in your life.

In addition to the 350 baht a month per kid which doesnt go far:

One worth having tho is a lump sum to help with birth costs of a baby if you or spouse are paying NI. That was around 11k or so if I remember.

Cheers

Fletch :)