95.5 percent of Crimeans vote for joining Russia

webfact

As Ukraine appears to have all but conceded Crimea to Moscow, Ukranians in Kherson, the province just north of the peninsula, are believed to be pushing a secession vote of their own in what a local leader angrily denounced as "treason."

The province has a huge Russian speaking population, and a vote - particularly with politicking from Russia - could go against Kiev as did last Sundays referendum in Crimea. In addition to a major push from ethnic Russian politicians, the proposal in Kherson could be boosted by the presence of Russian soldiers, pro-Moscow protesters and the kind of propaganda Ukraine accused Moscow of engaging in before the Crimea vote.

. . .

A day earlier, Mikolayenko had told reporters of a mysterious phone caller who said members of ousted President Viktor Yanukovychs party were planning to pass a motion during to hold a Crimea-style referendum. Although no such motion was introduced, Mikolayenko and other Ukrainian officials in the province as well as Kiev believe the effort is a maneuver coordinated by Russia to make it appear as though a groundswell of support for secession exists.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/21/new-ukraine-province-in-play-as-ethnic-russians-push-new-secession-referendum/

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The swift annexation of Crimea from Ukraine by Russia is one of the biggest international incidents of recent years, with global condemnation leading to sanctions and the worrying possibility of armed conflict.

It raises an uneasy question: Is Crimea worth it?

In symbolic terms, . . . the inability to prevent the region from joining Russia is a serious test of leadership for the new Ukrainian government in Kiev.

In practical terms, however, . . . Crimea may end up costing Russia more than it might like. And what does Ukraine really lose?

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/03/21/this-map-shows-what-the-loss-of-crimea-really-means-for-ukraine/

My grandfather is buried in the military cemetery here, so is my father, and that is where I am going to end up, I dont think I will be leaving Crimea, this is where I was born and this is where I will die. I feel more and more that I will be killed here.

It has been three long and hard weeks for Major Vladislav Korgic and his fellow Ukrainians; days of threats, of intimidation, insults and ultimatum. Shots had been fired, attempts made to break down the main gate. Now, the final act of the drama of Belbek airbase is about to be played out as the Russians seek to extinguish the last remaining embers of resistance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-crisis-trapped-forces-are-left-with-an-impossible-dilemma-in-crimea-9208682.html

Vlad says THANK YOU!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/thanks-for-being-so-cool-about-everything,35584/

Thanks For Being So Cool About Everything

And, by the way, if you ever need me to play along and act like these little Crimea sanctions and rhetorical warnings are in the least bit threatening, or feign anger by instituting entry bans on U.S. lawmakers and officials, or issue a few sternly worded responses to the international community’s condemnations, I’m completely down with that. I get the back-and-forth charade we’re playing here—the one that says you’re actually considering some real action against me. Seriously, going along with that kind of ruse is the least I can do, given all you’ve done for me.

I just hope you’ll all continue being so nice and accommodating moving forward—especially with what I’ve got planned for the rest of Ukraine over the next few months.

Intersting assessment if Putin.

---------

Did Putin want nothing more than to seize Crimea, to turn Russias control of the republic from de facto to de jure or does he want to creep deeper into southern and eastern Ukraine on the pretext of fraternal assistance to ethnic Russians?

. . . First, Putins actions have been driven less by a belief that the West is weak than his knowledge that Russia is. Second, he dreams of restoring Russias empire his March 18 Kremlin speech is, at heart, a cry of resentment against the West for its humiliation of his country during the early years after the Soviet Unions collapse.

A bitter autocrat with a head full of grandiose daydreams can be a dangerous creature.

http://m.standard.net/standardex/pm_109839/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=srW6qFL0

Yes, the comparisons of Putin's Sochi 2014 and Hitler's Berlin 1936 weren't as far fetched as some people thought.

Speaking of which, now is the time to take Russia's 2018 world cup away from them.

Dictators love that kind of stuff -- don't let him have another.

Edited by Jingthing

Haha, nice. This does illustrate the difference in West mentality. Most of us are walking around thinking "dam, I thought they were our friends a month ago." Lets see, why would someone like Putin be so intent on being devisive and creating hate and animosity while he tries to carve up and annex parts of his surrounding countries. Pretty obvious from a psychological stand point and seem a bit Hitlerish to me.

-----------

Members of an American documentary film crew, visiting the southeastern Ukrainian city of Mariupol last week and stumbling upon a pro-Russian rally downtown, narrowly escaped with their lives as the crowd cursed and chased the Americans and violently attacked their minivan. The vehicle barely got away.

Such views are surely not held uniformly across Ukraine, but among ethnic Russians, and in the heart of the former Soviet Union, a palpable anti-American sentiment is discernible -- and it is, to some extent, the product of determined efforts by Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Kremlin apparatus he controls.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/22/putin-stokes-taps-russians-resentment-america-and-west/

"Friends of mine who have been in Moscow for the past, say, two years tell me you cannot understand the amount of propaganda, anti-U.S. propaganda, that is being fed to the Russian people on Russian television -- nothing like it, unprecedented," said Daniel Henninger, deputy editorial page editor of the Wall Street Journal, in an appearance on Fox News' "Happening Now." "They didn't even do this sort of thing back during the Cold War."

There is some evidence the campaign is working. The Levada Center, an independent pollster in Russia, surveyed a sample of more than 1,600 people there earlier this month and found 56 percent of Russians viewing the United States negatively. That figure is the highest it has been since the polling started, and up a full 12 percentage points since January. In 1990, by contrast, only 7 percent of Russians viewed America in negative terms.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/22/putin-stokes-taps-russians-resentment-america-and-west/

Why the 90+% turnout and the 95+% majority. That is politically extreme by any measure. Such extremes usually have extreme causes. Russian speaking, etc.. are just not extreme enough to cause those numbers. What Russia wanted or didn't want had nothing to do with those numbers. The answer is in those numbers. The election was observed by international observers. No reason to believe they were not a legit vote. What kind of thinking causes those kind of results? With perception being reality, what was the Crimean perception?

Edited by Pakboong

Why the 90+% turnout and the 95+% majority. That is politically extreme by any measure. Such extremes usually have extreme causes. Russian speaking, etc.. are just not extreme enough to cause those numbers. What Russia wanted or didn't want had nothing to do with those numbers. The answer is in those numbers. The election was observed by international observers. No reason to believe they were not a legit vote. What kind of thinking causes those kind of results? With perception being reality, what was the Crimean perception?

I can only take that post as a joke. Nobody is suggesting that a majority wouldn't have voted similarly in a civilized election process. But to take that almost North Korean level super majority LITERALLY is beyond absurd. It's annoying to even see that presented as real. Everyone knows the elections were largely boycotted by the ethnic Ukrainians and of course the Tatars. Everyone knows it was done RUSHED by an occupying army. Everyone knows there wasn't even the CHOICE to express the view of staying with Ukraine.

Yes, the comparisons of Putin's Sochi 2014 and Hitler's Berlin 1936 weren't as far fetched as some people thought.

Speaking of which, now is the time to take Russia's 2018 world cup away from them.

What on earth has the 2018 world cup got to do with anything. Why do you totally ignore the FACT that it wasn't 'dictator' Putin who 'invested'$5 billion dollars over many years destabilising an elected sovereign government thousands of miles away on another continent, organising a violent putsch to overthrow said government, and installing a Western friendly banker as Prime Minister without any vote from the Ukranian population? Your obvious hatred of Putin which to be honest borders on the obsessional, is based on one issue. It might be an idea to check out the newly installed Prime Ministers stance on gay rights, you might get a shock. As for the reference to the World Cup, well, if the criteria for taking away the rights to host it is invading countries, deposing democratic governments and installing friendly puppets, bombing and killing citizens of these countries etc, America would have been banned from hosting any international sporting events since 1950.

Amenwai.gif

Yes, it was a Putin-style vote.....you know, illegal.

So what does the PM's stand on gays have to do with anything?

Sadly if i explain it, it will be deleted as it already has been too many times, so will let Essexyman give you an answer, perhaps his way of putting will not be deleted

What does Putin style voting have to do with World Cup or people coming to enjoy it?blink.png

Edited by whoisyourdaddy

Sadly if i explain it, it will be deleted as it already has been too many times, so will let Essexyman give you an answer, perhaps his way of putting will not be deleted

What does Putin style voting have to do with World Cup or people coming to enjoy it?blink.png

Here is Putin style.

----------

Shooting and explosions have been heard as Russian troops - backed by armoured vehicles - stormed a Ukrainian airbase in Crimea

Earlier, several hundred unarmed protesters seized a Ukrainian naval base at Novofedorivka, western Crimea.

Pro-Russian militia has also been seizing Ukrainian Navy ships.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26698754

Edited by F430murci

Here is Putin style.

----------

Shooting and explosions have been heard as Russian troops - backed by armoured vehicles - stormed a Ukrainian airbase in Crimea

Earlier, several hundred unarmed protesters seized a Ukrainian naval base at Novofedorivka, western Crimea.

Dont waste your time trying to convince people who defend the indefensible.

They just show the current mentality of a, for the worse, changing world.

Their blame on the US, a correct 1 IMO, actions in the, recent, past gives Putin the justification to do what he does in their eyes.

Humanity goes backwards, sadly enough.

Here is Putin style.

----------

So tell me again what does that have to do with people going to watch World Cup in Russia in 2018?

Also do tell me what does protesters seizing base have to do with Russian military or Putin ?

Or perhaps a relation to militia and Russian army?

Edited by whoisyourdaddy

Here is Putin style.

----------

Dont waste your time trying to convince people who defend the indefensible.

They just show the current mentality of a, for the worse, changing world.

Their blame on the US, a correct 1 IMO, actions in the, recent, past gives Putin the justification to do what he does in their eyes.

Humanity goes backwards, sadly enough.

Funny post, even more so when coming from someone who supports the country that created and master planned the entire conflict and the mess.

• Like 1

Very typical spam from fox news bbc usa today, washington post links etc etc.... these are very unbias news media outlets and truthful because its american or western interests tow the line media then are they ?..

Really if your going to keep citing articles just from the west propaganda machine F430murci then you may as well just post whitehouse rhetoric.

It is amusing that no one wishes here to discuss the Ukraine problem and what lead upto all this. Dont for one moment think this issue of Crimea appeared for the sake of it. IF Kiev can have a non elected gov installed by force then any region can chose secession. Why not ?

Ukraine's current gov wasnt elected but with the complicit choosing and support of the EU/US documented taped and shown here, so any region would similarly assume they can declare how they wish to do things since no one chose by election who is running things in Kiev but the US and EU has becked them and chosen who regardless. Is Ukraine at the moment choosing its own destiny and electing it own choice of gov or has it been done for them without consent of the people ?

Here is the dangerous precedent, some decide for themselves what is best for the country then why not other regions decide what is best for their own local region ? it is no different just a smaller scale.

The USSR collapsed very quickly there is no reason to assume that countries like Ukraine could not collapse into regions wanting out of the Ukraine any less or just as fast. The place is a total mess its economy is in tatters with no end or better result in sight but more debt and problems, in short its as unstable and financially broke as the USSR became once the tipping point was reached. The country is being run by non elected people the regions of the country may well say well we can do that too and choose for ourselves a maybe better option than this, lets go.

If a region of Ukraine decided to break away and it was recognised by a willing partner or nation then why not ? EU and US recognised an illegitimate gov in Kiev already, It opens the door to others doing what they want outside the electoral and legal structural system and make up of a country and expecting just as much recognition as those in Kiev. This is now beginning to happen.

Edited by englishoak

This article pretty much sums up the mafia style regime of Putin, why they did what they did in 1989 and how the KGB and the elite robbed the common people of Russia blind . . . And people still want to blame the West for Russia's constant failings caused by their rampant corruption.

----------

Already in 1989 the high ranking officers who took the leading decisions owned property in the West and had transferred their share of the assets stolen over decades from the Russian people to their Swiss bank accounts.

. . .

So what happened? With a few leads from Gorbachev the KGB got the message. Privatise your own little bit of the Soviet economy, and if necessary imprison your competitors for tax evasion. Draw a life-long salary from your share of the stolen assets. Secure your mansion in London, your account in Switzerland and your yacht in the Mediterranean, and pose as a businessman, with interests in gas and oil. Pursue a career of social climbing and erotic adventure in the West, and leave the old monotowns of Russia to crumble to dust.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerscruton/2014/03/22/the-wrong-way-to-treat-president-putin/

"Well, I think that this rhetoric on both sides is being very unhelpful. The fact is, Russia now has returned Crimea to Russia. It has been, most of its recent history, in the last couple of centuries, been Russian. The majority of the people are Russian. They clearly would prefer to be in Russia. And the bottom line is, we can argue 'til doomsday over who did what and why and who was the legal and who was not — I'm sure historians generations from now will still be arguing it — but the fact is, Russia now is not going to give up Crimea. The fact also is, if you really look at it dispassionately, Ukraine is better off without Crimea, because Ukraine is divided enough as it is. Their big problem is internal, in putting together disparate people who have been put together in that country. The distraction of Crimea, where most of the people did not want to be in Ukraine and ended up in Ukraine as a result of really almost a bureaucratic whim, is — was, I think, a real liability for Ukraine."

~ Jack Matlock, U.S. Ambassador to Moscow (1987 -1991).

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/years-american-hostility-russia-sparked-crimea-crisis-former-us-ambassador-says

Those poor guys. Perhaps died with honor, but still died or worse . . . Became a guest at one of Putin's not so desireable political vacation resorts.

-------

Ukraine crisis: video shows Russian troops storming Ukrainian airbase in Crimea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10716516/Ukraine-crisis-video-shows-Russian-troops-storming-Ukrainian-airbase-in-Crimea.html

"Well, I think that this rhetoric on both sides is being very unhelpful. The fact is, Russia now has returned Crimea to Russia. It has been, most of its recent history, in the last couple of centuries, been Russian. The majority of the people are Russian. They clearly would prefer to be in Russia. And the bottom line is, we can argue 'til doomsday over who did what and why and who was the legal and who was not — I'm sure historians generations from now will still be arguing it — but the fact is, Russia now is not going to give up Crimea. The fact also is, if you really look at it dispassionately, Ukraine is better off without Crimea, because Ukraine is divided enough as it is. Their big problem is internal, in putting together disparate people who have been put together in that country. The distraction of Crimea, where most of the people did not want to be in Ukraine and ended up in Ukraine as a result of really almost a bureaucratic whim, is — was, I think, a real liability for Ukraine."

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/years-american-hostility-russia-sparked-crimea-crisis-former-us-ambassador-says

About sums it up nicely from someone with on the ground first hand understanding of the region.

I bet Jack dosnt get much airtime on mainstream media or the establishment rags F430murci here keeps trying to ram down peoples throats lol

• Like 1

Those poor guys. Perhaps died with honor, but still died or worse . . . Became a guest at one of Putin's not so desireable political vacation resorts.

-------

Ukraine crisis: video shows Russian troops storming Ukrainian airbase in Crimea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10716516/Ukraine-crisis-video-shows-Russian-troops-storming-Ukrainian-airbase-in-Crimea.html

You do realise these bases troops have had no directive or word from Kiev right ? they have been totally left to ponder what to do, this is what is called abandonment by the chain of command in Kiev.

If Kiev is not talking to Moscow or its bases that is a further sign Kiev wishes to make Russia expel them and you can bet the UE/US is letting this happen.

This is very typical, hang people out to dry and hope a situation occurs you can jump onto.

"Well, I think that this rhetoric on both sides is being very unhelpful. The fact is, Russia now has returned Crimea to Russia. It has been, most of its recent history, in the last couple of centuries, been Russian. The majority of the people are Russian. They clearly would prefer to be in Russia. And the bottom line is, we can argue 'til doomsday over who did what and why and who was the legal and who was not I'm sure historians generations from now will still be arguing it but the fact is, Russia now is not going to give up Crimea. The fact also is, if you really look at it dispassionately, Ukraine is better off without Crimea, because Ukraine is divided enough as it is. Their big problem is internal, in putting together disparate people who have been put together in that country. The distraction of Crimea, where most of the people did not want to be in Ukraine and ended up in Ukraine as a result of really almost a bureaucratic whim, is was, I think, a real liability for Ukraine."

I tend to agree with everything said from our perspective or Russian's perspective. Ukraine is perhaps intuitively better off from an economic perspective with Crimea gone, but that does not prevent Ukrainians from being extreme upset by what they perceive to be a land grab and a violation of their sovereignty.

Candidly, this entire situation is more about economics. Corrupt Ukrainian government has run that poor country into the ground over the last several years. People are desperate for a suction, any solution. Unfortunately, I see Ukraine as a pawn in a larger chess match and I not convinced anyone has their best interest at heart. Afraid it is going to get worse before it gets better for those poor people.

Again, nobody is really expecting Russia to give back Crimea now, so the question remains what does Putin do NEXT? An, no it was not owned by Russia. They just stole it. But that's water under the bridge as Ukraine can't possibly win it back with force and the west isn't going to help them do that either.

Not good for this poor guy . . .

-----------

A Ukrainian air force commander has been abducted after his base in Crimea was stormed by pro-Russian forces, Ukraines interim president said Sunday.

Col. Yuliy Mamchur is the commander of the Belbek Air Force base near Sevastopol, which was taken over Saturday by forces who sent armored personnel carriers smashing through the base's walls and fired shots and stun grenades.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/23/top-commander-held-after-base-stormed-ukraine-interim-president-says/

potentially you bet they had a lot to fear from an unelected right wing gov in Kiev. History repeats if people are not watchful especially Fascism. You might want to take the rise of it in Europe and the US and right wing ideals being legitimised more seriously because Russians most certainly do for a very good reason and lessons hard learned. Im afraid I am not a fan of, self installed foreign state sponsored neo nazi or far right coalitions not even if it is the EU/US saying its ok, it is far from it.

I dont wish to get off topic but this is far from simple and yes the agents provocateur IS who i said, there are a few reasons for this, not in the least the Syria and Russian solution last year frustrating the US war machine. Putin has done exactly what was expected by many, manoeuvred into it maybe yes... problem reaction solution my friend. There isnt any innocents here, not Russia not the EU and not the US. neither am i defending Putin i simply try to see the chess move for what it is from Russias perspective.

So is the current political set up in Moscow the ideal solution?

Why is it "especially fascism" that repeats if people are not watchful. Do you not mean authoritarian rule in general or is it only right wing versions that provide the problem?

You seem to overlook that Stalin and Soviet Russia happily shook hands with Nazi Germany to slice up Poland and Romania, only later did the thieves fall out. Authoritarian despots can call themselves fascist or communist but the objectives are the same, and the victims likewise. I'm sure that the 20,000 Poles murdered by the Russians (though they did try to blame the Germans) in the Katyn Forest in 1939 were so grateful that there murderers called themselves socialist/communist, it must have made such a difference to them as they died...

You worked for AI, how does AI get on in today's Russia...?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/world/europe/russian-authorities-raid-amnesty-international-office.html?_r=0

The US and other western countries are far from perfect but by comparison with Russia? It's like comparing the alleged rule of law in LOS with the rule of law operating in the UK. Not perfect but somewhat different in application. Red Bull anyone?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2013/09/the-red-bull-heir-and-inequality-in-thailand.html

Edited by folium
  • Like 1

What on earth has the 2018 world cup got to do with anything. Why do you totally ignore the FACT that it wasn't 'dictator' Putin who 'invested'$5 billion dollars over many years destabilising an elected sovereign government thousands of miles away on another continent, organising a violent putsch to overthrow said government, and installing a Western friendly banker as Prime Minister without any vote from the Ukranian population? Your obvious hatred of Putin which to be honest borders on the obsessional, is based on one issue. It might be an idea to check out the newly installed Prime Ministers stance on gay rights, you might get a shock. As for the reference to the World Cup, well, if the criteria for taking away the rights to host it is invading countries, deposing democratic governments and installing friendly puppets, bombing and killing citizens of these countries etc, America would have been banned from hosting any international sporting events since 1950.

So how has Ukraine fared under Russian/Soviet/Russian control? Well apart from the 1921 and 1932-33 famines, the harsh repression of any attempts at self-determination, overlooking the fact that some 5 million Ukrainians fought in the Red Army in WW2, it provided both Khruschev and Brezhnev, and was the home of much of Soviet Russia's arms industry (eg Antonov)...So how many Ukrainians were murdered by the Soviet regime, how many died fighting for the communist cause?

Why was Crimea transferred to Ukraine in 1954? No coincidence as it was the 300th anniversary of the Treaty of Pereyaslav, 1654, which basically established modern day Russia. Transferring an ethnically cleansed (of its indigenous Tatar population and subsequent non-Russian immigrants) holiday resort to Ukraine was no big deal at the time. Claiming Crimea as historically Russian is like claiming Kaliningrad as historically Russian. Crimea was "cleansed" progressively from the 18th century and finally/dramatically in 1944. Kaliningrad/Konigsberg was "cleansed" and all German traces literally dynamited in 1945, all to provide an ice-free Baltic port for the Soviets. It's like trying to claim that California has no Mexican heritage or that County Tyrone is as English as Surrey!

What positive elements has Russia brought to the world in the last 100 years? Apart from hydrocarbons, second rate but readily available military hardware, a totally flawed/failed ideology, and plenty of intimidation, what has Russia ever done for anyone else...?

• Like 1