International Drivers's License - obtaining one in Thailand

I need to obtain an International Driver's License in Thailand. I am from the US and my driver's license expired a long time ago. I have a 5 year Thai driver's license (which expires in 7 months).

I have been told by a retired US police officer that I can drive in the US with a Thai license. However, I will need to rent a car and am afraid this would be a no go with car rental agencies.

Anyone who has experience in this area and can help me with any info at all, I would appreciate it. Thank you. biggrin.png

IDP - international Drivers PERMIT.

It is actually just a copy of your licence details in a format that is internationally approved. (e.g. English Language and script and a photo)

So - in theory you should be able to get one c=based on your Thai driver's licence.

you might also approach a car rental company and ask them what they think.

A lot of states don't require the International Driver's Permit (IDP) with your Thai license. CA, NV, FL and HI for sure. If you are only going to one or two states you can check if it's needed. Getting it does gaurantee it's acceptance everywhere in the US though.

Renting a car with a foreign license is no problem.

You get an IDP from your local Land Transportation Office ... what they require varies with each Office so just ask them. But it will be something like Proof of Address, either a Yellow Book, Letter from Immigration or your Embassy. Your Passport and a copy including Visa/extension of stay, your 5-Year license and two photos. The fee is/or was 500Baht.