Clampdown coming on multiple tourist visa runs

Anyway,

Asians get 90 days on border crossings, the Russians get 30 days, G7 get 30 days, Kiwis 15 days.

Which group of border runners are they hoping to restrict?

The OP clearly has no clue about visa waivers on entry and thinks 'visitors' are some sort of homogenous mass, all treated exactly the same by Thai immigration.

Edited by FiftyTwo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Will this effect the Non Imm "O" visa which i have been getting for several years now ?

Where have you been obtaining the Non "O" visa?

If from a Thai Embassy/Consulate there should be no problem in future if the the requirements for the visa are met.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Those doing continuous visa runs probably cost the country more than they contribute overall as read coupla years ago foreigners were blocking up parts of the Thai health system.

This morning walking the main street in Auckland, there were several English/Irish accented asking for money: amazing to have 20 begging for money in the space of walking two blocks.

It's become a bit of a problem with those from Europe staying in backpackers/hostels, then returning to steal food, have showers etc. after they have left....they would pass unnoticed having free meals/getting donated food bags from charities here too.

I meet many who go to Asian countries to teach ESOL and on returning they have no job or little or zilch savings.

However, I'm aware that many European retirees have contributed with initiatives and are putting money into the economy and contributing towards the Thai community in lots of ways. But they wouldn't be those doing sneaky visa runs and not working legally.

I

NZVIC, I am in total agreement with your post! Those who are doing these 30 day visa runs are those who are trying to circumvent the law and are generally a drag on the Thai economy and give the legitimate "farang" retirement community here a black eye thumbsup.gif

What about those like me who have more money than you have ever seen in your lifetime but are under 50 years old...

if so, go to school an get an ed visa thumbsup.gif its only 4 hours/week an even those that are ( illegally) working 60 hours a week and making 1 mill can handle that

Per Wikipedia: "The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people 'traveling to and staying in places outside their usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes"'.

So whether for one year or otherwise a tourist has a finite period of stay else one is no longer considered by the Government of Thailand as a tourist.

So ... ?

Everyone is staying in the kingdom for a finite period, life is finite.

Depends on whom they want to stay and who is deemed abusing the regulations.

(a lawyer's answer)

Asians get 90 days on border crossings

HUH??

Cambodian/Burmese/ Laotians get 15 days on border crossing. Not sure about Singapore or Malaysians.

Cambodians get 14 days. Laotians and Vietnamese get 30 days. Myanmar must have a visa but there is an agreement in the works for 14 days. Malaysians 30 days by air or at Malaysian border and 15 days at other borders. Singapore and other ASEAN countries not mentioned 30 days by air 15 days at border.

Info for all countries that get visa exemption or VOA here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20130503-153844-612966.pdf

Per Wikipedia: "The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people 'traveling to and staying in places outside their usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes"'.

So whether for one year or otherwise a tourist has a finite period of stay else one is no longer considered by the Government of Thailand as a tourist.

So ... ?

Everyone is staying in the kingdom for a finite period, life is finite.

Depends on whom they want to stay and who is deemed abusing the regulations.

(a lawyer's answer)

I would say that the a lawyer's answer, considering the World Tourism Organization's definition above, is that you can stay up to a year in any one country and still be considered a tourist; then it is time to go to one or more other countries for a similar length of time before returning to the country in question.

Continuing change and confusion. In the north, they recently extended the time to 30 days for land crossings, but limited this to 4 consecutive visa runs....

This latest change, if true and universal, May well cost the country quite a bit of income.

I don`t think so. If foreigners need to do regular border hops in order to stay long term in the country, than this means they are people of little wealth or may have more dubious reasons for avoiding the Immigration departments

In the past Immigration has attempted to discourage visa hoppers that no one took seriously because these threats have mostly been hot air blowing in the wind. But this time the scenario is completely different. Thailand has come under scrutiny and some harsh criticisms recently regarding the Malaysian plane disappearance, undesirable foreigners coming and leaving the country plus the easy availability to obtain fake documents and passports.

I am in no doubts that this new threat to impose tighter restrictions on the entry of foreigners into Thailand has come about due to International presuure and make no mistakes, these rules are going to be implemented. In my opinion the sooner the better.

Wrong. The mooted clamp down will be the flavour of the month while the missing jumbo is in the news...then it will be back to normal. The best way to predict any future action by any Thai or Thai department is to just assume they will do the laziest possible thing. The easiest solution is to do nothing...That is what will utimately happen here.

The horrific bus crashes on Patong hill are a relevant example, every month another crashes killing more and more, lots of meeting hot air and bullsh-t about bans on the buses...blah blah blah. What has been done...NOTHING...with the exception of painting over the scrap marks on the barrier at the bottom of the hill to hide the most recent slaughter.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

Q: Where does tourist money come from?

A: Outside Thailand.

Q: Where do tourists spend their money?

A: Inside Thailand.

Q: How does money from other counties spent in Thailand, benefit the Thai economy?

A: Countless way... it would seem.

Q: Why then would you want to discourage tourists from staying as long as they want?

A: Hummmmmm.... let me get back to you on that...

But they aren't tourists.

Many/most are working illegally (not paying the tax they should be on their income).

Many/most are working illegally (not paying the tax they should be on their income).

Yeah sure, genius. Farangs are just all lining up to get those highly paying, coveted Thai jobs! 10000 Baht per month, that is what like 320 dollars! Big money!

• Like 1

HUH??

Cambodian/Burmese/ Laotians get 15 days on border crossing. Not sure about Singapore or Malaysians.

Cambodians get 14 days. Laotians and Vietnamese get 30 days. Myanmar must have a visa but there is an agreement in the works for 14 days. Malaysians 30 days by air or at Malaysian border and 15 days at other borders. Singapore and other ASEAN countries not mentioned 30 days by air 15 days at border.

Info for all countries that get visa exemption or VOA here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20130503-153844-612966.pdf

Sorry, I was thinking Japan and Korea who get 90 days.

Yeah sure, genius. Farangs are just all lining up to get those highly paying, coveted Thai jobs! 10000 Baht per month, that is what like 320 dollars! Big money!

Er no.

Just arrived here, eh.

HUH??

Japan gets 30 day by air or 15 days by land. Korea gets 90 days for both because of a bilateral agreement.

Maybe not $ 320. But there are thousends of farangs working here for $ 500-1000 a month
  • Like 1

Maybe not $ 320. But there are thousends of farangs working here for $ 500-1000 a month

You seem well informed Lars !

Are you one of them ? smile.png

Just joking !

Japan gets 30 day by air or 15 days by land. Korea gets 90 days for both because of a bilateral agreement.

HUH??

5 countries in the world get 90 days (both air and land). I'm from one of them. I have a one-year visa at the moment, though, so I won't be able to test what happens during a visa run. However, I did a few visa runs in 2012 (to Ranong) and always got 90 days.

You seem well informed Lars !

Are you one of them ? smile.png

Just joking !

No I'm not. But I meet Farang teachers every week here. And many of those makes 25-30k baht a month

• 1 month later...

If I can go to the bother of getting the correct visa, why can't others?

I have to agree with the Thais on this one.

Why......?

Are these folk creeping in to claim Thai social security benefits ?

If they are doing it to set up dodgy businesses thats another thing, but most are spending their cash.

I would suggest immigration should look at ED visas and attendances at the establishments first, and ask why some are not learning Thai, learning other languages. Crazy.

Because Thai immigration laws unfairly discriminate by age.

I could satisfy all the requirements of a retirement visa very easily. I have significant income coming from overseas.

But I can't get a retirement visa because I'm only 37. So I have to pay 30,000 baht a year and waste 100 hours of my time learning a language.

There's nothing illegitimate about that, but it certainly makes very little sense since I, and people like me, contribute much more to the economy than someone living on an overseas pension does.

Get married, get some kids, contribute with a decent job, pay some tax and commit. If you really like Thailand then commit and stop whining. Then get a permanent residence, only takes a few years. Tourists....well give them one or two free 30 day entries then charge them for renewal per 30 days, lets say 15,000 a month. Let them renew within the country. For someone who has paid a lot of tax and shown a lot of commitment people just dossing in Thailand or working illegally should pay their way.

15,000 baht a month?

Is that including health insurance, house rent, electrics, water and two beers a day?

A permanent residence, IF you can get one will cost you 100,000 baht if you are married or 200,000 baht being single.

A yearly renewal of an extension of stay cost you 1900 baht a year, which means 52 years for a married PR and 105 years for a married PR.

Not a very good idea, taking into account that even the PR can be easily withdrawn, as easy as an extension of stay.

I am married, I pay tax, I do all the things and more, same as many Thai people do, and I have no rights whatsoever.

I do not really complain, because I am a guest here.

But from time to time I just wonder what one must do, besides getting married and paying tax as per your ideas, to be considered welcome.

I live in Thailand for 8 years now, do all the things you say, invested a cool 8 million baht and spend 75,000 baht a month in the local economy

But any rights?

No way.

And a job?

I am over 60, too old for a working permit.

Ranting maybe, but I do know a guy, an Englishman.

Lives in the Isan, and is a Visa-hopper pur sang.

He is 48, and lives with his grilfriend.

He spends around £ 3000 a month in the local economy.

He bought, via his girlfriend, an 10 million baht house, two new car, all paid outright.

He has two children with his girlfriend, and because of his visa-hopping situation he seems not to be able to get married in Thailand

Exactly the kind of man the Thai imiigration laws think undesirable

Another guy, 52, living with a Thai woman, two children, owns and runs two restaurants.

Bought two houses via the grilfriend, bought several cars, and is exactly another prime example of a Visa-hopping undesirable foreign alien.

I think it is important to remember that there is a desire to make things weighted in favor of Thai women or Thais in general at the expense of the farang. Your examples show this as all property is in the name of the Thai woman and the guy can be punted from the country at the will of the govt. I don't think these guys are very smart putting all this property in the girlfriend's name.

• Like 1

Why......?

If they are doing it to set up dodgy businesses thats another thing, but most are spending their cash.

I would suggest immigration should look at ED visas and attendances at the establishments first, and ask why some are not learning Thai, learning other languages. Crazy.

Because Thai immigration laws unfairly discriminate by age.

I could satisfy all the requirements of a retirement visa very easily. I have significant income coming from overseas.

But I can't get a retirement visa because I'm only 37. So I have to pay 30,000 baht a year and waste 100 hours of my time learning a language.

There's nothing illegitimate about that, but it certainly makes very little sense since I, and people like me, contribute much more to the economy than someone living on an overseas pension does.

Why is it discrimination if it's age? Other people can't stay here because they are born in the wrong country. Or too poor. Or single instead of married. Or can't afford a language course. Every country have rules like these. And most countries in the west have much stricter rules than Thailand. I think it would be rather strange if a 37 year old person had a retirement visa. Even 50 is young for being retired

Edited by bangkoklasse

There is no time limit. You just need to break the chain of of back to back entries. The best to way to that it is to get a tourist visa unless you can qualify for another type of visa. You could also possibly fly out and back to break the chain.

• Like 1

Why......?

No, you don't HAVE to pay 30,000 baht and waste 100 hours. It is something you CHOOSE to do because you want to be in Thailand and you can't do it any other way. Choices have consequences.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1
  • Love It 1