Straightening handle bars on Honda Phantom

tallfarang

Earlier today I got into a minor accident, the front wheel of my Honda Phanton was clipped. Now the handle bars are not aligned with the front tire. Anyone have any suggestions where I can get this straightened? I live in Bangkok. It is still drive able but awkward. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It was clipped pretty good, I think it's more than alignment, it seem to have bent out of shape. I'll try the honda dealership though, I'm sure they can direct me to someone if it's something they can't fix. Thanks for the reply.

Try standing with the front wheel between your legs, looking toward the rear of the bike.

Grab the bars and see if you can re-align the bars so they are perpendicular to the forks. Stop forks turning with your legs/knees.

Sometime in a light impact the forks will twist slightly, which shows up as the bars not being in line.

Done this on dirt bikes many times after a fall.

Try standing with the front wheel between your legs, looking toward the rear of the bike.

Grab the bars and see if you can re-align the bars so they are perpendicular to the forks. Stop forks turning with your legs/knees.

Sometime in a light impact the forks will twist slightly, which shows up as the bars not being in line.

This is good adivce. but I would like to add just one extra point ; Honda phantons have rubber mounted handle bar risers so loosten the nuts on the risers and re-tighten after straightening.

This is good adivce. but I would like to add just one extra point ; Honda phantons have rubber mounted handle bar risers so loosten the nuts on the risers and re-tighten after straightening.

Was not aware of this. Bad day when you don't learn something !

Thanks for the extra tip. Hopefully I'll be driving straight again tomorrow.

If you do find the bars are bent too, think about fitting wider straighter bars, they feel much better and straighten your back when riding and I found the steering more controllable too. I liked mine so much, I transferred them to my NV400.

IMO, they look much cooler too.

You'll need to loosen off the upper and lower triple tree clamps on your forks and reset to square. Tighten the bolts in a sequential pattern on a gradual rotation cycle. As you get tension on the bolts, bounce the suspension between each cycle to ensure straightness.

The bars mounts themselves may be twisted in which case loosen and reset to square the clamps. Once you're satisfied the forks are in alignment and the bar centre itself is in alignment (irrespective if the bar ends are in the "right" place), square up the bar ends by removing the grips and inserting a steel rod/bar to push/pull as appropriate for straightness.

find a phone pole and smack the front wheel against it.

i do the same too.

I suspected as much !!!

biggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

But it works. Only for small bikes though.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I suspected as much !!!

biggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

Maybe same person - two accounts !!!

Syntax and grammer point in this direction for a few posters !!!

Paranoid potential?:lol:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ll2

New bars are pretty cheap. sometimes the rubber mounted bar setups work for a while & then when the rubber settles in it will go back to the old position. If it was a har hit & you can see the kick or a kink in the bars you will need to take the bars off anyway to get it on a vice to properly straight it out. I did the shuffle with a Kawasaki Boss & it was a waste of time & less than 2000 baht for new handlebars. Now if your tree or forks have a bend ,kink or indent that will also need to be straightened.

Edited by Beardog

• 2 weeks later...