Thailand arrests infamous hacker Farid Essebar; wanted by Switzerland

george

Thailand arrests infamous hacker wanted by Switzerland

faridessabar-thumb.jpg

Infamous hacker Farid Essebar

arrested in Thailand.

BANGKOK, March 18, 2014 (AFP) - An infamous computer hacker has been arrested in Thailand at the request of Switzerland on suspicion of hacking into bank computer systems in Europe, an official said Tuesday.

Farid Essebar, who has dual Moroccan-Russian nationality, was detained in Bangkok last week, according to Police Colonel Songsak Raksaksakul of the Department of Special Investigation, Thailand's equivalent of the FBI.

"He is wanted under an international arrest warrant for deception and hacking the IT systems of financial institutions," Songsak told AFP.

A Thai court will now decide whether to extradite the 27-year-old suspect to Switzerland, which sought the international warrant.
Police are searching for two more Russian suspects from the same gang believed to be in Thailand.

In 2006 Essebar was sentenced by a court in Morocco to two years in prison following his arrest at the request of the FBI.

He was accused of having corrupted the computer systems of leading banks, technology companies and media organisations worldwide with the Zotob virus.

Zotob allowed its creators to control infected computers from afar and prevented the machines' owners from accessing anti-virus web sites.

The television channels CNN International and ABC News, the New York Times newspaper, computer giant Microsoft and San Francisco airport were among those affected.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-03-18

the Department of Special Investigation, Thailand's equivalent of the FBI

EXCUSE ME?! Thailand has NO equivalent of the FBI. How dare they!!

I rather like to think its the equivalent of the Keystone Cops

Why do you like to think that? I see nothing comedic in this case, do you?

The US or the Israelis probably tracked this guy down and advised the Thais where to go to pick him up. The arrogant and pompous Thais report that they claim credit for the detective work.

Why probably? And I don't see anyone claiming credit for the detective work.

Maybe it's TV posters who are arrogant and pompous.

Seems like you would go to a country without extradition in such a case.

Name a few of those and describe their women and availability of same. How are the go-go bars?

Edited by JSixpack

This comparison has been made many times by the media and government........

But they don't know what FBI means....I sure they think it's a cartoon show.

• Like 1

thank God Thailand does not have a criminal organisation like the FBI or Mossad or the Russian secret police, the world would be a much more peaceful place if those organisations did not exist or at least would be controlled so the can not commit blatant criminal acts outside their home countries

• Like 2

The FBI has a long long history of ineptitude, laziness and improprieties. If they tipped off Thailand it was because they were tipped off by someone else. Give me one proven example of their professionalism and I can respond with 5 cases (really more but I'm lazy) of avoidable disasters. They are overpaid, overstaffed and media whores. Keystone Cops would be an improvement.

• Like 1

PaullyW, on 18 Mar 2014 - 22:13, said:
Quotethe Department of Special Investigation, Thailand's equivalent of the FBI

So true... FBI - Federal Bureau of Investigation DSI - Don't Investigate Seriously.... big difference

Actually, they have and while we would like to think they aren't effective and eqv to the "keystone cops", the ones getting caught because of DSI, would absolutely not agree with you, and there are plenty of them.

Edited by KamalaRider

KamalaRider, on 19 Mar 2014 - 14:36, said:
PaullyW, on 18 Mar 2014 - 22:13, said:
Quotethe Department of Special Investigation, Thailand's equivalent of the FBI

Actually, they have and while we would like to think they aren't effective and eqv to the "keystone cops", the ones getting caught because of DSI, would absolutely not agree with you, and there are plenty of them.

True, but they only seem to catch small fry, when was the last time they successfully investigated and charged big fry, eg pollies, powerful family members tuk tuk/taxi mafia etc. Failed so badly they have run away, quietly, from Phuket.

And who among us would believe the places the two organizations operate are equally sophisticated? Equally sophisticated criminals and criminal networks? Get real, guys. No matter how much you try, you will never convince any reasonable Westerner with a brain that Thais are as competent in this field as similar organizations in the US, Western Europe and East Asian countries. You guys need to travel more and get out of Thailand more. HAHA