New Mazda 3 - how to negotiate/buy at vehicle launch

eppic

The Mazda 3 has just been launched in Thailand, with production just started and pricing only available today.

I am new to Thailand, and have been evaluating vehicles for awhile, but have determined that due to practical matters (I am in central BKK, so I don't want a large car) as well as safety issues (I want a vehicle with side/curtain airbags), there appear to be very few choices in Thailand. Others I considered were the Focus, the Civic, and the new City. And yes, I certainly know I don't NEED a car, especially in my Ratchaprasong neighborhood next to the BTS, but I WANT one (regular taxi rides in smelly tin cans with no seat belts or airbags? no thanks).

In any case, I have now determined that the Mazda 3 is probably my first choice, and I would like to develop a negotiation/purchase approach as well as manage my own expectations about how the process will or won't) work. So, with that background, let me get to my questions:

1. What negotiating room, if any, should I expect for a newly launched Mazda? Perhaps someone here purchased the new CX-5 and and can provide some recent commentary. I realize that any price discount is out of the question, but I was more interested in the typical giveaways I have seen. Specifically, window tinting, floor mats, and possibly insurance for a year (maybe pushing my luck?). Would it be better to wait until the motor show in a couple of weeks?
  2. What might a realistic expectation be for delivery time, given that any estimate given by a dealer will likely be highly optimistic? I am OK with a wait of up to three months, since I currently have a rental (City) and expect to take a 1-month summer holiday to the US anyway, so a late June/early July timeframe would be acceptable. As an aside, I have noticed that boring, basic colors (such as white, ridiculously popular here) tend to have much greater availability and likely better resale value, but I expect to get the top trim in a non-graytone color, probably gunmetal blue. Again, any recent CX-5 buyer could provide good intell here.
  3. What should I expect to bring with me to secure the contract, given that I will be be paying cash? I assume there is a booking deposit, then full amount due at some later date? (I apologize if there is already a FAQ on this process). I realize I will need a residency certificate to actually register the car, but do I need this at the initial booking, or only at time of delivery/registration. Unfortunately, the Mazda (and Honda) dealers nearby at Pathumwan have been useless in this regard, since I have not yet found a sales rep that speaks a word of English or that will return a call with someone that does. BTW, If it's relevant to the purchasing process, I am here on a newly-issued 1-yr extension (of a non-O for retirement).

TIA for any (non-sarcastic) replies.

My experience is every car brand and dealer and timing is different for different people. I can share my CX-5 purchase, but this may not be applicable in your context. Best is do your homework with dealers and compare. If i were to tell you i have a 50000 baht discount, the same dealer may not offer it to you for Mazda3.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@eppic : given the fact that you're new to Thailand and probably also the way things work here, the only advice that can be given is "Forget everything you learned back home and experience the Thai way of things happening"

Fair enough, thanks for the responses, minimal as they were.

So, I guess I'll drag along a Thai friend / translator to the motor show next week, figure out all of my various, ignored questions myself, and then [not] share my findings with anyone, since anything I learn will apparently be completely irrelevant to the the next guy anyway. And the purpose of a "forum" is???

Contacting numerous dealers separately, most of which speak nil English, seems like a colossal waste of time and energy, so I was hoping for a shortcut....but at least I can get a group of dealers all at once at the motor show.

To start with forget all you know about buying car back in the West.

Forget about asking any mechanical questions about the car

Shopping/buying new car in Thailand is actually like a hard days work and does leave a sour taste in your mouth

Negotiating hardly works and if you manage to get something it would be factory give away as a standard, ie free insurance, film, and some floor mats

Delivery is all down to availability and popularity, though giving sales person "bonus" i heard speeds up the process.

Mazda's seem to be pretty good on delivery, so i would guess 1-3 months

Bring 5000-10 000 deposit and some ID, this is all that is needed for deposit, the rest you pay once car is delivered, then you will need to provide passport and residency certificate

Good luck :)

• Like 1

My experience with Mazda in Krabi a few years back was nothing short of farcical. 3 visits. I wanted, test drove and was supposedly quoted for the Mazda 3 hatchback. Deposit paid and 2 weeks later was advised that the vehicle had been delivered. On collection, found that the colour was correct but it had transformed into a 4 door saloon ! Incredibly, the same sales rep thought that I would accept this minor detail and I had to be firm just to get the deposit returned.

Consequently, I purchased a Toyota.

So, yes, good luck !

• Like 1

Shopping/buying new car in Thailand is actually like a hard days work and does leave a sour taste in your mouth

Negotiating hardly works and if you manage to get something it would be factory give away as a standard, ie free insurance, film, and some floor mats

Delivery is all down to availability and popularity, though giving sales person "bonus" i heard speeds up the process.

Bring 5000-10 000 deposit and some ID, this is all that is needed for deposit, the rest you pay once car is delivered, then you will need to provide passport and residency certificate

Good luck smile.png

Thanks a lot for actually reading my post, and then replying with concrete information. Very helpful. As I said in my opening post, I am just trying to manage my own expectations, and my initial visit to the Mazda dealership proved useless.

As I stated before : experience the Thai way and don't whine if you not get the reply you expect. Seems like you're going to have a difficult time adjusting here

I have been an expat for ages, and everyplace has it's adjustments, but it appears my biggest adjustment in Thailand will be vis-a-vis the quality of expats here (very different from Singapore), not to the "Thai way" of doing things -- the latter I was prepared for.

Edited by eppic
  • Like 1

Good luck smile.png

Thanks a lot for actually reading my post, and then replying with concrete information. Very helpful. As I said in my opening post, I am just trying to manage my own expectations, and my initial visit to the Mazda dealership proved useless.

As for the previous poster,I have been an expat for ages, and everyplace has it's adjustments, but it appears my biggest adjustment in Thailand will be vis-a-vis other expats here (very different from Singapore), not to the "Thai way" of doing things -- the latter I was prepared for.

Sorry forgot to mention your visa is no problem, some people manage to buy a car on a tourist visa and i just recently met someone who bought a car on 3 day entry stamp(but some bonuses had to be passed around :))

Really with car buying in Thailand, expect the worst, so you will not be disappointed..

If you go for luxury cars like BMW or Benz, totally different ball game but you are also into millionS prices

• Like 1

I think it is quite simple.

DO wait for the Motor show, as they usually have some extra little promotions or gimmicks to give away....as to attract customers to their booth and hit the sales target of the show.

It is a new model, so don't expect much in terms of discount, probably none. But a few freebies...sure.

The thing is, mostly it is either they have offers or they don't. For example Honda last year: No free insurance, wherever i asked (whichever dealer). Now they have....

Close to the show, the websites do sometimes have the promotions on them..but don't hold your breath.

If you pay the whole car by cash, you might get less freebies or discounts, etc. Yes, strange....but I believe they get a share of the interest if it is financed. Quite often they do very low % interest, which is interesting. Ford has now 0% on many models.

You don't need residency, just a Visa i would think and for the deposit I don't think you need much of anything.