Thailand at crossroads: Leaving Thaksin behind in his Dubai sandcastle

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais have also become averse to military intervention and coups d'etat, in fact to all abuses of authority by self-interest and money-dominated politics.

thai's have been wallowing in self-interest and money dominated politics for decades.

the 'journalist' (haha!) is an idiot.

• Like 2

Holy Moley!.......Now I've read everything! Sheeshhh........? Progressive forces? Did I miss something taking place in Thailand over the last 4 Months? Could it be that this has-been is implying that Kuhn Suthep and his cohorts are the Progressive Force that will bring the Kingdom to the Crossroads or perhaps the Abyss? If so, why stop there Kuhn Kasit Piromya? Just say he is the NEW Moral Compass of Thailand! A genuine beacon of light in the darkness of Thai Politics. These so called progressive forces must man up and earn that title with a WIN at the ballot box! Let all eligible voters have an unobstructed opportunity to cast their vote in order to decide any future Path for the Kingdom to take.

• Like 2

Regardless of who, what , when, the Thaskin is alive and well , Thaskin now has the statute of limitations to clear and he is free to come back home, now knowing Thaskin like we all do , the idiot will return , that is when the troubles for Thailand really start , you better believe it, he will return and that's when someone will take him out , Question is , Then What???

He'll be looking up at the Tulip roots in Tarit's garden along with the gardener

• Like 1

Its a good article but basically it counts for <deleted> because Thais will never change. No attempt has been made to drag all the corrupt politicans and officials before the courts over billions of bahts

disappearing from flood programs,rice pledge scams and others.

What about the trillion baht infrastructure programs earmarked for the future.The money will just vanish into private accounts o/seas then washed and made clean.Thai-Chinese laundry.

• Like 1

He tries to attack strong pillars of this country, police force where semi success , the army put some of his man into high position in military where someday may have strong influence control by politic and juristic system where refuse to accept any decision guilty on his side.

I have no patience to go through all this anti-democratic stuff, so just let me vent about two quotes that jumped out at me:

>"Thailand at crossroads: Leaving Thaksin behind in his Dubai sandcastle"

How about leaving the coup-makers of 2006 and mostly the same coup-mongers of 2013/14 behind.....Voicing support for coup-mongers and against those with electoral roots is just so much folderol.

And before PAD-Dem's launch into trying to normalize the abnormal judiciary with respect to Thaksin, suffice it to say that only they buy into the program of coupists trying to justify their power grab with a judicial veneer, by demonizing those they coup'ed.

"...a new challenge to Thailand's cultural integrity has emerged in the form of the dominance of money and business over politics."

Nope.....The new dominance that has emerged is the politicization of the masses, and the electoral strength that has accompanied it.

Misleadingly intellectualizing about historical references to money and business over politics, and ignoring the realities of Electoral democracy, is self-serving agenda's of the unelectables....'er anti-democrats.

so what would you suggest thailand does with a government that breaks the law - cheats - lies - steals - ignores the courts - ignores parts of the constitution it doesn't like, tell me how any country deals with this, I'm sorry but IMO the army has saved Thailand from utter destruction many many times, I think a coup is the wrong word to describe what the army has done in recent years - it's more like having an extra arm of the law to step in when it all comes apart - most people associate a coup with a military dictator type of insurrection but in Thailand power is always given back to the people and elections/referendums follow very quickly - what they don't seem to be able to do each time is get a constitution that is rigid enough to avoid the constant abuse - as I've said before we keep seeing the recycle of the same corrupt MP's every 5 years - they should be banned for life, flush the system clean of this scourge.

The problem with the coups, even if the army are relatively harmless/incompetent is that it just resets the cycle over and over again. Governments are continually looking over their shoulder and any attempt to bring people in the army to book for anything is a no no. Say PDRC got their way and a neutral PM was appointed to undertake reform, do you really believe that person would dare try and deal with corruption/accountability in the army? No way in hell!

You don't need to be a rocket scientist as well to see that corruption/patronage etc runs right through the army from top to bottom- i believe the only reason they are happy to give power back fairly quickly is because they would prefer to keep their noses clean and continue their 'works' unhindered. If someone attempted to curb their gravy train, they would meet a grisly and speedy exit!

So whilst i agree that the army could be a lot worse, i believe not only are part of the problem, but their apparent benevolence is anchored much more in the need to keep a stable ship and their position at the top of the tree, rather than genuine desire to see success for the country. If they really had the best interests in mind, they would have done what you say banning, behind close doors warnings/ultimatums a long time ago- the army, political, rule of law, judiciary, big business etc is so closely linked through personal linkages like marriage, family etc it would be near impossible for anyone to carry out the required changes without stepping on buddies/family toes!

• Like 2

Any good did some one do today will speak for you in the future, i am not surprise to see what is happening in Thailand society today ,because what a man sows ,that he or she will reap, in the eye of the world,you may think you are doing good while in hidden you are acquiring wealth for your self, the spiritual world control the physical, nothing can be hidden under the sun, the truth always come at last.

Edited by soundman
Font

I have no patience to go through all this anti-democratic stuff, so just let me vent about two quotes that jumped out at me:

How about leaving the coup-makers of 2006 and mostly the same coup-mongers of 2013/14 behind.....Voicing support for coup-mongers and against those with electoral roots is just so much folderol.

And before PAD-Dem's launch into trying to normalize the abnormal judiciary with respect to Thaksin, suffice it to say that only they buy into the program of coupists trying to justify their power grab with a judicial veneer, by demonizing those they coup'ed.

"...a new challenge to Thailand's cultural integrity has emerged in the form of the dominance of money and business over politics."

Nope.....The new dominance that has emerged is the politicization of the masses, and the electoral strength that has accompanied it.

Misleadingly intellectualizing about historical references to money and business over politics, and ignoring the realities of Electoral democracy, is self-serving agenda's of the unelectables....'er anti-democrats.

so what would you suggest thailand does with a government that breaks the law - cheats - lies - steals - ignores the courts - ignores parts of the constitution it doesn't like, tell me how any country deals with this, I'm sorry but IMO the army has saved Thailand from utter destruction many many times, I think a coup is the wrong word to describe what the army has done in recent years - it's more like having an extra arm of the law to step in when it all comes apart - most people associate a coup with a military dictator type of insurrection but in Thailand power is always given back to the people and elections/referendums follow very quickly - what they don't seem to be able to do each time is get a constitution that is rigid enough to avoid the constant abuse - as I've said before we keep seeing the recycle of the same corrupt MP's every 5 years - they should be banned for life, flush the system clean of this scourge.

I agree. The sad thing is Thailand will continue in this vicious cycle of vote-corruption-protest-coup unless we can change the mindset of the average Thai person that voting for politicians who promise you populist freebies will result in those same people taking your tax money to fund it and then some more for themselves with the results hardly benefiting the country as a whole.

In a way Thai's are a bit selfish. They think of themselves first and public interest second but this is natural when most are just trying to get by.

Poverty does not seem to provide the luxury for us to put the interest of the country before oneself.

Thailand needs to seriously address the issue of income disparity, good governance and education.

The most democratically mature countries are those with the highest standards of living.

Those left behind will always vote for populist policies which economically have often been proven to be unsustainable and of little benefit to the country.

This is the chink in the armor greedy politicians manipulate to their benefit.

• Like 1

Please Fryslan, you're using such big words now it's hard for some of us to understand, just remember: "KISS". And is "folderol" another new catchphrase for you to replace scum, thug and fascist?

A couple of very accurate excerpts:

"Thaksin with his cohorts and his Thaksinism - a political system of one-party dominance through autocratic authoritarian majority rule - are now things of the past. For them to cling to their presumptuous hierarchy is nothing more than holding on to a failed status quo. Their stubborn self-promotion is reactionary and contrary to the progressive minds and contemporary political aspirations of Thailand. It is anachronistic: out of tune, out of touch and out of place."

"Thaksin and his proxy government have lost the trust of the Thai populace. They are now considered illegitimate pretenders to power. They have politely been asked to leave Thailand's political stage."