Bangkok: Overturned truck spills 20,000 liters of petrol on Phaholyothin road

webfact

Overturned truck spills 20,000 liters of petrol on Phaholyothin

BjDHx8xCQAAt2N3-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An oil truck overturned on Phaholyothin road in Klong Luang district of Pathumthani before dawn Wednesday, spilling more than 20,000 liters of benzene and diesel and shutting down traffic for several hours.

The incident happened at about 5.00 a.m. on the outbound lane of the Phaholyothin road, opposite Chiangkong Rangsit second hand auto spare part market.

The 10-wheel oil truck, belonged to Action Container Co, lied with its side down near the ditch in the middle of the road and was spilling its 20,000 liters of oil to the ground.

Relief officials have to use sand to soak the spilling oil and also shut down the valves to stop the leak.

According to the police, the truck was on the way from Bang Na to deliver oil to a petrol station at Klong Luang when it skidded and rammed at a traffic sign post and overturned into the ditch.

The accident caused more than 10 kilometers of traffic jam on the outbound traffic lane of the road.

Police said the oil truck driver Kwanchai Ekamnuay, 35, might fall asleep. He would face charge of reckless driving and causing damage to state property.

(photo : twitter @Pusit_ek )

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/overturned-truck-spills-20000-liters-petrol-phaholyothin/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-19

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember one speeding off an express way in BKK somewhere, spilling the petrol into gridlocked traffic which then caught light. Lots of people burned to death in their cars.

People who drive petrol trucks should be the most trained drivers with a special license. That's just my western thinking however.

No doubt yingluck and her team are debating road safety issues right now. The school children who died on the way to pattaya the other week so shocked the government that they made no comment on it or had any suggestions on how to make the roads safer.

Well done, three posts in and its Yinglucks fault. Why so bitter?

• Like 2

about 15 years ago, didn't one of these do the same thing on wireless and caught fire killing many?

I think it was about 25 years ago - and it was an LPG Tanker coming off the Expressway, going too fast and tried to make a right turn onto Petchburi and rolled over. The Tank was a locally made unit and just held onto the Truck with metal straps, the whole thing came apart and ended up in front of an Apartment block. Cars waiting at the Traffic lights were also caught up in the explosion and fire.

If I recall correctly over 90 people died.

It sounds as though the Action Container truck was not properly equipped if it leaked - there should have been P/V valves in the Manlid designed to close automatically in a roll-over like this, specifically to prevent leaks.

Patrick

Why do they use the word benzene when they're talking about petrol (gasoline to Americans)? It's a completely different thing.

Benzene in this sense is a homophone and means gasoline / petrol.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I remember one speeding off an express way in BKK somewhere, spilling the petrol into gridlocked traffic which then caught light. Lots of people burned to death in their cars.
People who drive petrol trucks should be the most trained drivers with a special license. That's just my western thinking however.
No doubt yingluck and her team are debating road safety issues right now. The school children who died on the way to pattaya the other week so shocked the government that they made no comment on it or had any suggestions on how to make the roads safer.

If they had any suggestions to make the roads safer, it would probably be another project failure, like the flood mitigation project.

Why do they use the word benzene when they're talking about petrol (gasoline to Americans)? It's a completely different thing.

A homophone is a word that sounds the same but has a different spelling or meaning, like sync and sink. You're thinking of the word synonym but benzene is not a synonym for petrol, except in the minds of Thai people.

Correct. Benzene is a specific compound, with the formula C6H6.

about 15 years ago, didn't one of these do the same thing on wireless and caught fire killing many?

I think it was about 25 years ago - and it was an LPG Tanker coming off the Expressway, going too fast and tried to make a right turn onto Petchburi and rolled over. The Tank was a locally made unit and just held onto the Truck with metal straps, the whole thing came apart and ended up in front of an Apartment block. Cars waiting at the Traffic lights were also caught up in the explosion and fire.

It sounds as though the Action Container truck was not properly equipped if it leaked - there should have been P/V valves in the Manlid designed to close automatically in a roll-over like this, specifically to prevent leaks.

Patrick

that sounds about right.

A homophone is a word that sounds the same but has a different spelling or meaning, like sync and sink. You're thinking of the word synonym but benzene is not a synonym for petrol, except in the minds of Thai people.

I'm sorry, I beg to differ.

According to the Merriam Webster dictionary "benzene" is "a colorless volatile flammable toxic liquid aromatic hydrocarbon C6H6 used in organic synthesis, as a solvent, and as a motor fuel"

benzene is also a colloquial word used for petrol

In many countries, gasoline has a colloquial name derived from that of the chemical benzene+ (''e.g.'', German ''Benzin'', Dutch ''benzine'', Italian ''benzina'', Chile ''bencina'', Thai เบนซิน ''bayn sin '', Greek βενζίνη ''venzini'', Romanian ''benzină'', Swedish ''bensin''). Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay use the colloquial name ''nafta'' derived from that of the chemical naphtha. http://shelf3d.com/i/petrol
So two words spelt the same with different meanings = homophone.

Correct. Benzene is a specific compound, with the formula C6H6.

Half correct, that's one definition of benzene - see post 14 for the other.

Edited by fab4

"That's just my western thinking however."

No, it's called common sense.

Edited by Local Drunk

benzene is not diesel, and vice versa. Some people ( me think americans) call diesel "gasoline" and benzene "petrol" . . . both are "fuels". Thais adopted the european version of the denomiation "benzene" or "benzin" but many thais still say "gasoline when in fact they do not mean "diesel" but "benzene". VERY confusing to us outsiders . . . . but that's why thai fuel stations use COLOUR codes to help lame ducks in not filling up the wrong fuel.

Quote:BANGKOK: -- An oil truck overturned on Phaholyothin road in Klong Luang district of Pathumthani before dawn Wednesday, spilling more than 20,000 liters of benzene and diesel and shutting down traffic for several hours.

this would suggest that the truck contained BOTH Benzene AND Diesel in the same tank, which of course is utter rubbish and bad journalism

Edited by crazygreg44

benzene is not diesel, and vice versa. Some people ( me think americans) call diesel "gasoline" and benzene "petrol" . . . both are "fuels". Thais adopted the european version of the denomiation "benzene" or "benzin" but many thais still say "gasoline when in fact they do not mean "diesel" but "benzene". VERY confusing to us outsiders . . . . but that's why thai fuel stations use COLOUR codes to help lame ducks in not filling up the wrong fuel.

Quote:BANGKOK: -- An oil truck overturned on Phaholyothin road in Klong Luang district of Pathumthani before dawn Wednesday, spilling more than 20,000 liters of benzene and diesel and shutting down traffic for several hours.

this would suggest that the truck contained BOTH Benzene AND Diesel in the same tank, which of course is utter rubbish and bad journalism

i beg to differ. lots of these tanks have 3 or 4 separete tanks inside and can carry a multidue of diffent fluids at the same time.

i used to drive one.

• Like 2

It was a gas truck owned by Siam Gas 20 or more years ago. About 20 people were killed, if I remember rightly, and many more badly disfigured and maimed with burns. The gas tipped out into a traffic jam on an expressway ramp and ignited, trapping people inside their cars. It was a horrible business. Several of the victims lived in agony for up 10 days before succumbing to their burns. I knew the sister of one of them.

Patrick

Yes it was a Siam Gas LPG truck coming off the expressway into Petchaburi Rd at speed in 1990. Remember watching the fireball on TV and all the ensuing litigation afterwards.

i beg to differ. lots of these tanks have 3 or 4 separete tanks inside and can carry a multidue of diffent fluids at the same time.

i used to drive one.

Exactly.

There are even Trucks in Thailand with 12 totally independent Compartments - total Truck capacity 40,000 Liters.

Patrick

Patrick

Sounds like is not enough to diagnose the cause. You need facts. Which you don't have.

Benzene is not a colloquial word for petrol/gasoline unless you are speaking broken English to a Thai.

Well seemingly it is - "in many countries, gasoline has a colloquial name derived from that of the chemical benzene+ (''e.g.'', German ''Benzin'', Dutch ''benzine'', Italian ''benzina'', Chile ''bencina'', Thai เบนซิน ''bayn sin '', Greek βενζίνη ''venzini'', Romanian ''benzină'', Swedish ''bensin'')

But not in English.

Patrick

Sounds like is not enough to diagnose the cause. You need facts. Which you don't have.

Here's a "fact" for you then old chap.

I have been selling equipment for safe Petrochemical Transport in Thailand for over 20 years.

Patrick

• Like 2

Maybe you mean this one?

"...In 1990, a devastating accident involving a gas transport truck devastated 21 city blocks along the New Petchaburi Road in Bangkok, killing 59 civilians and injuring many more...."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/542830-lpg-tanker-explosion-on-bangkoks-pattanakarn-road/#entry5158040