Road Trip- Where the Wind Blows me to...

Lancelot

did you pre book any of the accomodation online or just hope for the best when you arrived there ? smile.png

No pre-booking because I wasn't sure where I would go- until I arrived there :)

And pre-booking wasn't necessary, I found vacancies every place I stopped...

• Like 2

did you pre book any of the accomodation online or just hope for the best when you arrived there ? smile.png

No pre-booking because I wasn't sure where I would go- until I arrived there smile.png

do you speak thai well ? id like to do something like this when i get the time but id be worried about arriving in a village at night

and not being able to find a place to stay (that includes safe parking for my bike smile.png )

im sure there are vacancies everywhere with the unstable political situation most countries have advised their tourists not to come

here but finding one in the dark with limited language skills might be a bit tricky for me

Edited by speedtripler

No pre-booking because I wasn't sure where I would go- until I arrived there smile.png

do you speak thai well ? id like to do something like this when i get the time but id be worried about arriving in a village at night

and not being able to find a place to stay (that includes safe parking for my bike smile.png )

im sure there are vacancies everywhere with the unstable political situation most countries have advised their tourists not to come

here but finding one in the dark with limited language skills might be a bit tricky for me

Umm, I suppose my Thai is good enough :) I went for a couple of days speaking only Thai and it worked out OK for me :)

i never pre book as well.

i ride until dark and sleep at the first place i can get.

you get the taste of adventure more this way.

lancelot, i am jealous mansad.png

• Like 2

Last Songkran, I headed out for a 5 day trip all the way to Nan and back. Idea was to have some adventure, ride till dark and find a place to spend the night, wherever that may be (as LL2 suggested).

All was hunky dory till around 4 pm or so when you can tell that it's slowly but surely starting to get dark. Wasn't worried about not getting a room for the night, just didn't want to chance getting a room without hot water or horror of horrors, without a private toilet!!

Decided that the adventure can wait another day so pulled over at the next PTT for a coffee, whip out the iPad and browse straight to Agoda. By that time, I had has a fairly good idea where I would spend the night as I don't fancy riding till night falls so booked a place within about 60 km from where I was.

Repeated this over the next three nights till I got back to Bangkok. I guess I'll leave adventuring to some of you younger folks. I like a clean, comfortable room with air con, hot water shower and private toilet facilities, thank you very much :)

• Like 2

I always have a pre planned final destination usually 8 hours that's long enough and then just look for a hotel. A good thing to do is figure out the spelling for hotel in Thai that way if you are in the boonies you know what to look for

Nice trip, I'm planning on something similar only in the Chang Mai/hill tribes /Burma border direction once the burning finishes, starting from where I live in mid Isaan, should be interesting, on my Keyway superlight 200 though so a bit slower than you I suspect lol

Nice trip, I'm planning on something similar only in the Chang Mai/hill tribes /Burma border direction once the burning finishes, starting from where I live in mid Isaan, should be interesting, on my Keyway superlight 200 though so a bit slower than you I suspect lol

Thanks, but I really don't drive that fast. I like to cruise at 80 to 100 kmh, although I did flog her a bit on the last day -fast for me is 120- to get back to Chiang Mai :)

• Like 1

All very good.

But at least put up a google maps of it.

To most people this is equivilent to an enigma machine print out.

"107, 109, 1211, 1020, 1292, 1186, 1148, 1097, 10080, 1081, 1225, 1243- Dead End, 1162, 1026- Back tracked, no Ferry, 1083, 1241, 1268, 2195, 211, 212, 2267, 2230, 2096, 2350, 2025, 2, 2, 210, 2250, 2016, 2216, 203, 2005, 2331, 1143, 1246, 11."

Here, I've started it for you:

Google Maps Road Trip North Thailand.

• Like 2

I'm jealous, seriously! I need to find a riding buddy like you. ;)

Do you have pics of your bike setup while you travel? I'm getting rid of my cruiser and will be buying another (bigger) sports bike and will be doing some touring, so no more enormous saddle bags, want to see a sports bike setup.

I'm jealous, seriously! I need to find a riding buddy like you. wink.png

Do you have pics of your bike setup while you travel? I'm getting rid of my cruiser and will be buying another (bigger) sports bike and will be doing some touring, so no more enormous saddle bags, want to see a sports bike setup.

This is my setup when I travel 2 up

attachicon.gif20121227_145940.JPG

Very nice bike and well equipped. Compliments!

Thanks. I have a different setup when I travel solo smile.png

attachicon.gifphoto (21).jpg

Hopefully, some of us here on TVF will get to ride together one day. I'm up for it assuming the following rules are respected:

- no egos

- no reckless driving or overtaking

- no racing

- everyone stays behind the designated leader for that segment of the ride

- no segments shorter than 45 mins and no longer than 1 hr 15 minutes (I need my coffee and cigarette breaks haha)

- cruising speeds on highways between 100 - 140 kmh, slower through twisties and through villages

What do you think?

140 is plenty fast enough for crusing on highways

more than that is a bit wreckless in thailand as people tend to change lane without using indicators/ signal etc

and large slow vehicles have a habit of pulling out in front of everything and if your doing 200+ your probably dead

i could live with those rules :)

• Like 1

Hopefully, some of us here on TVF will get to ride together one day. I'm up for it assuming the following rules are respected:

- no egos

- no racing

- no segments shorter than 45 mins and no longer than 1 hr 15 minutes (I need my coffee and cigarette breaks haha)

- cruising speeds on highways between 100 - 140 kmh, slower through twisties and through villages

What do you think?

- no egos

Make sure to invite the 'I can keep up with a 1000cc superbike on my little 500 twin commuter' gang.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/689391-my-near-death-experience-today/

• Like 1

- no egos

- no racing

What do you think?

- no egos

Make sure to invite the 'I can keep up with a 1000cc superbike on my little 500 twin commuter' gang.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/689391-my-near-death-experience-today/

it looks like you are the one exploding your ego in the night.

or maybe you dont how to ride?biggrin.png

• Like 2