House columns…aesthetically pleasing versions?

Hi

just at the very early stages of thinking about a small house build.

As the site is on a hill and very shaped, it's already looking like the the house and or one balcony area will go over a lower level carport which will fit the land dropping off steeply.

This of course will mean there will be more than usually visible เสา (sow^, vertical columns…..in this case with rebar inside). They will be visible 8 feet high or more as one approaches the house.

THey will probably be normal size for a one storey residence, maybe 20x20cm ish?

HEre's the thing…..

As they will be very visible and made of boring concrete I'd like to make them decorative if possible.

I've seem hexagonal…..which may be nice…..and wonder how they're made.

I've also seen them with a spiral winding upwards and decorative top and base, probably done by a man who works doing wat decorative work.

Painting or even possibly some tiling may help.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone has some ideas and maybe drawings or photos of what I could do to make this a standout residence.

Thanks!

ps no fake cement trees thanks….

Edited by cheeryble

Thanks guys for kicking off the discussion.

(While we're here Crossy you're an electrical guy aren't you?

Uncle who wife has bought the land from has a cable coming across the fields on bamboo poles about 400m.

He will stay as neighbour happily.

He only uses elec for lighting, a TV, and a small water pump I think.

We're told the proper public elec supply behind (also about 400m away right now from the other direction) will eventually come to 50m from us to follow the road. We're not holding our breath and wondering if uncle's can

Blue will be enough for us both on a temporary basis at that distance. It is black cable and has printed

Bangkok Cable 750v 70c PVC THW-A 10 sqmm TIS 293-2541 TABLE 1

10 sqmm sounds heartening.

Is there much voltage drop with 400m?

Is it aluminium cable with the -A which doesn't conduct quite so well?

Is it enough for uncle and power tools etc for the build? Maybe a larger pump?

Then enough for a one or two room chalet for a couple of years?

Thanks Crossy)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

THW-A is indeed Al cable, at 10mm2 you're looking at a Cu equivalent of 6mm2.

A 400m run will be dropping 10% at 7A, that's going to be marginal for anything other than small power tools.

You could probably get away with a few low-energy lights, a TV and a fan with a small water pump (300W). No aircon or water heater :(

A 400m run will be dropping 10% at 7A, that's going to be marginal for anything other than small power tools.

You could probably get away with a few low-energy lights, a TV and a fan with a small water pump (300W). No aircon or water heater :(

Crossy thanks

yes I thought about 6mm equivalent.

Judging that a 2.5mm in the UK will do 15amps isn't that enough to take about 35amps?

Wouldn't that actually take what I need for the time being, ie water pump 1.2 amp, fridge quarter amp, lights for a cabin an amp or less and plenty left over?

You could probably get away with a few low-energy lights, a TV and a fan with a small water pump (300W). No aircon or water heater sad.png

Crossy thanks

yes I thought about 6mm equivalent.

Judging that a 2.5mm in the UK will do 15amps isn't that enough to take about 35amps?

Wouldn't that actually take what I need for the time being, ie water pump 1.2 amp, fridge quarter amp, lights for a cabin an amp or less and plenty left over?

It's not the current carrying capacity that will be your issue, but volt-drop over that long run (particularly on motor start).

The cable is good for 40A or so, even more strung up in air, but dropping more than 10-15% of your supply is not good for the stuff on the end.

In reality the kit you're proposing will probably be just fine, but do use low-energy lighting.

Ok got it more amps larger V drop keep the amps down to 7 or 8 if poss.

Maybe can be intelligent and have a little red notice "no showers when water pump on".

Better still use a gas heater for water.

Also could run ceilings up to follow the roof lie with a ventilation grille at the highest point to get some convection going and avoid aircons for now. (That if course will make any heating from a fireplace or wood stove less effective, unfortunately as it gets damned chilly up there.)

Should also prepare the heart of the electrical system, the fuse box, for future expansion beyond the first bungalow ready for additions as and when we get a proper electrical feed from behind.

thanks Crossy

Edited by cheeryble

As for the vertical columns here is the rough idea for the starting cabin. The vertical columns will hold up the house or verandah either side of the carport.

It's drawn a bit small but you get the idea, and the old wood cabin is presently moving out.

The carport will utilise what would otherwise be wasted space on the lower area and can get into house fairly dry one way or other.

BTW I should point out that despite the boring pic the views all round are terrific and there's a nice flat area next to the house for a top "garden", then there will be large terraces going down the hill.

post-120824-13953978568525_thumb.jpg

Edited by cheeryble

Not too many "columnists" round here.....

My eyes have been opened and I now notice that simply adding moulding top and bottom makes an enormous improvement to a simple concrete post.

But the world is waiting for more....