40,000 Baht Income Denied at Major Hollywood

I was told yesterday at the temporary Major Hollywood immigration office that the only way for me to get an extension based on marriage was with 400,000 baht in a bank account. I don't even have a question, I am ready to go to Savanakhet at this point for a little vacation, and am just posting this mostly out of frustration and perhaps to help others smile.png I do find it very frustrating dealing with these immigration officials. I called 1111 when I was there, but it just did not seem to help any.

Major Hollywood had no line for the section I needed to wait for, that was the bright point. I would not call it the cleanest office I have ever been to, and the a/c seemed kind of non-existent, but the lines were short no doubt.

Edited by isawasnake

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you have as proof of income? I suspect that was the problem more so than not being able to use the income method. A bit more info would be useful so we can make suggestions.

There has been no change to the rules it is still 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income proven by a letter from your embassy or if working tax payments to prove income and your work permit.

• Like 2

What did you have as proof of income? I suspect that was the problem more so than not being able to use the income method. A bit more info would be useful so we can make suggestions.

There has been no change to the rules it is still 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income proven by a letter from your embassy or if working tax payments to prove income and your work permit.

Thank you.

What I had with me seemed inconsequential. "You can only get an extension with 400k baht in a Thai bank account". I had my bank book and tax receipts and all my papers from work, and was prepared to go out and get other papers if necessary, but it was not an option according to her.

I appreciate the help here, but at this point I am just reporting and don't care to even solve this. Please don't make this my fault, it was definitely them who don't know their own job, and I am ready to go to Laos and eat one of those sandwiches smile.png The other thing I don't understand is hy people don't believe these stories when there are multiple reports of the same thing. My paperwork was not the problem, it was them. And, if anybody cares for my opinion, they seemed to revel in the denial.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

I do have a question actually, for anybody so inclined to answer, thank you in advance for the help.

Would these CP ALL debentures qualify for the 400,000K baht requirement?

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/InvestmentsAndDeposits/Pages/CPALLDebentures.aspx

They would not accept them because they would not be considered as liquid. You have to be able to withdraw the money at any time with no delay or penalty other than loss of interest.

Mate... I believe you. Next time just ask one of these blokes on here that know everything that's happening all over Thailand.. Obviously the Immigration officials will recognise then straight away and mend there ways. Hope the sanger over the boarder goes down well.

• Like 1

To register my marriage, I had to sign an affidavit at the US Embassy stating that I am not legally married to anyone in my home country, and the amount of my monthly income. Is this document the same proof I will use when applying for an extension (ie., to demonstrate the 40k baht monthly income)?

Thanks

I too had to show 400k AND a certified bank letter. They even have a list in Thai and English, saying 400k in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months the first time and 3 months from then on. The guy told me and later on a woman told me, that the 40K per month in a bank account is an old rule and the 400K in the bank account is enforced now. 1 year NON-O extension based on THAI WIFE in my case. I usually go to the same guy that's been doing my visa's for years(luckily he is working at the Lad Prao location) and he told me that he was told to not approve anyone without 400k in a bank account PLUS a certified letter from their bank. This was at the Imperial World Lad Prao temporary immigration location.

Edited by Caliguy

Mate... I believe you. Next time just ask one of these blokes on here that know everything that's happening all over Thailand.. Obviously the Immigration officials will recognise then straight away and mend there ways. Hope the sanger over the boarder goes down well.

"Hope the sanger (?) over the boarder (?) goes down well. "

The point is that people from all over Thailand do report their experiences on TV. If something is reported as happening by several people, then it seems more credible. In this case the O/P appears to be the only person who has reported this as happening ... and apparently it was in Bangkok where a lot of TV posters do report their experiences.

Obviously he's feeling emotional ("...they seemed to revel in the denial.") and is certain that he is right and there's no room for an error on his part. "Please don't make this my fault, it was definitely them who don't know their own job,"

And yet everyday many, many people deal with Immigrations without a problem.

"...people don't believe these stories when there are multiple reports of the same thing. My paperwork was not the problem, it was them."

So where are these multiple reports? If that's the case then more information would be useful for everyone.

If you go in to Immigrations prepared for frustrations, certain of your own infallibility and with a chip on your shoulder, then it's possible you may piss off the wrong person and ensure that you'll get the frustration you were looking for.

If some people, most people, who are able to submit documentary proof of Baht 40,000 a month without any problem and manage to get a new extension of stay, then claiming that " ...it was definitely them who don't know their own job, " isn't realistic.

He may indeed have been refused the extension, but the reason is almost certainly something other than the Immigrations officials not knowing the rules if they apply those rules for everyone else.

I hear ya... ( I am ready to go to Laos and eat one of those sandwiches smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png ) Sanger over the boarder......

Its Thailand mate, I don't get how people think everything happens the same everywhere. It just doesn't. People do business differently all over the place.

Telling you that, how that's not right... Doesn't mean it never happens or help for that matter.

Good luck anyway.

Let us know how you get on ok.

I too had to show 400k AND a certified bank letter. They even have a list in Thai and English, saying 400k in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months the first time and 3 months from then on. The guy told me and later on a woman told me, that the 40K per month in a bank account is an old rule and the 400K in the bank account is enforced now. 1 year NON-O extension based on THAI WIFE in my case. I usually go to the same guy that's been doing my visa's for years(luckily he is working at the Lad Prao location) and he told me that he was told to not approve anyone without 400k in a bank account PLUS a certified letter from their bank. This was at the Imperial World Lad Prao temporary immigration location.

"...that the 40K per month in a bank account is an old rule..."

There has never been a option that simply required Baht 40,000 in a bank account.

"1 year NON-O extension based on THAI WIFE in my case. "

No there's no extension for any visa offered by any Immigration office. The visa is what is used to enter the country. Extensions of stay because of marriage to a Thai are not extensions of the visa, they are a permission to remain in the country based on information you supply to Immigrations.

Sorry but your obvious confusion is not making the O/P seem any more credible, but it is making the case that some applicants don't really understand the process.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well it was like that for me and another guy i was talking to at immigration. He had used the 40k per month option and they told him and showed him the same checklist they showed me.

Do you have a copy of that checklist that can be scanned and posted here?

I too had to show 400k AND a certified bank letter. They even have a list in Thai and English, saying 400k in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months the first time and 3 months from then on.....

Please state what Immigration Office this was at. There's lots of them and my crystal ball is buggered.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well it was like that for me and another guy i was talking to at immigration. He had used the 40k per month option and they told him and showed him the same checklist they showed me.

Do you have a copy of that checklist that can be scanned and posted here?

I must have thrown mine away. Theres also a document in English you sign saying from now on you have to show 400k.

I too had to show 400k AND a certified bank letter. They even have a list in Thai and English, saying 400k in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months the first time and 3 months from then on.....

Please state what Immigration Office this was at. There's lots of them and my crystal ball is buggered.

Its at the Lad Prao Imperial World temporary location.

''quote

No there's no extension for any visa offered by any Immigration office. The visa is what is used to enter the country. Extensions of stay because of marriage to a Thai are not extensions of the visa, they are a permission to remain in the country based on information you supply to Immigrations.

Sorry but your obvious confusion is not making the O/P seem any more credible, but it is making the case that some applicants don't really understand the process.

quote''

what is the form called to apply for this 'permission to remain' as you call it

Well for the previous 6 times ive done it, I had to show the usual marriage documents and the 40k per month income and embassy letter. THIS time wasn't the case they simply said we don't accept that anymore. Here is the list and he underlines the "new" rule for me. I still had to use the U.S. Embassy income letter.

''quote

quote''

There may be a lot more associated with what you say than is immediately apparent. There are many who fail or refuse to understand the basis upon which they are permitted to remain in Thailand.

When this level of ignorance is coupled with a "bar stool lawyer" attitude I am not surprised that Immigration Officers shuffle these irritants aside.

• Like 1

I too get different rules everytime that I try to extend my visa based on marriage. The 400k/40k baht a month are the two standards. However I think that the issue might be that some immigration offices require the 40k baht a month with a work permit from a Thai income and do not consider overseas work. If you didn't have the work permit or have a tax form from Thai government showing the income, that is why they might have given you a hard time.

As others have stated workers don't always know and in cases like this where you are certain what you have should be accepted then speak with the head.

I often get the 1 year multiple entry as it is less hassle for me usually.

Good luck with the next office/officer you deal with.

• Like 1

There have been no other reports of this. You should of handled it by asking for a supervisor while you were at immigration..

You really think that would help?

The supervisor will probably agree with him or her.

Coming back later when he or she is having lunch, or even the next day would be a better idea.

I guess.

What might help is to print out the Thai and English rules, and ask him or her to please tell you where you might find the rule as stated by him or her.

If dealing with officials, and in sails a matter of face, it is better to refrain from pressing your point, asking for the supervisor, or forgetting it is now a face thing.

On the other hand, do not forget the officer can ask for additional paperwork, or whatever he might deem necessary.

Edited by hansnl

''quote

quote''

Extension of Temporary Stay in The Kingdom Application Form (TM. 7)

So I'm waiting to see if other members have encountered this new rule or did they fly by with the 40,000 income on the marriage extension, please report.

It is not a new rule. The police order has not been changed.

It may be a misunderstanding or some ill informed immigration officers.

You can be sure if anybody else had this experience we would have already had reports about it.