Russian tourist found hanged in Phuket

webfact

Russian tourist found hanged in Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police and staff of the Ruam Jai Rescue Foundation were called to a rented house in Moo 5, Chalong yesterday evening (March 19) after a Russian tourist was reported dead.

They found the tourist, 27-year-old Rustem Gareev from Tatarstan in central Russia, hanging by a red rope around his neck, attached to a roof beam at the other end. Nearby was a ladder.

Police have ruled out foul play, labelling the death as suicide.

The Russian Embassy has been informed and the body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital to await instructions from the family.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-tourist-found-hanged-in-phuket-45261.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-03-20

Went fishing at Rawai pier the other night. First I was accosted by some young crazy Siberian guy who just kept on trying to start a conversation with me and everyother person (Thais) around me. Shaking and very agitated, my guess he was on Ya Ice. We all told him to push off. Then an hour or so later, two young russian guys and two young russian girls walked out and sat behind us on the steps. They were all drunk. One of the guys started fighting with one of the girls (screaming match for about 10 minutes) and then it devolved into an all in brawl.

Chalong and Rawai is slowly but surely filling up with the very bottom layer of Russian society.

• Like 1

There was a nice(!) photo of this poor guy in the Southern Voice newspaper, still strung up by the red cord whilst all the emergency workers stiood next to him for a photo opportunity. Surprised they weren't making V signs and giggling....

Simon

I always loved to see here , people thinking they are so much better than anyone ... specially Russian ... You can dislike them for any reason but no one have the right to judge them , specially on their appearances or acts ... Many nationalities drink ( aussies, brits ,etc ...) many others also take drugs ..... This Russian guy may had his reason to end his life .... so just dont judge him ..RIP

• Like 2

oh, sad news. I am from Tatarstan too. btw, it is not Siberia, it's a one of the richest region of Russia, with a lots of oil and gas

"it's a one of the richest region of Russia" - I thought everyone was equal, under communism?

RIP. Too young to feel overwhelmed by a perceived problem in which suicide seems the only option.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

.....so just because a ladder was found at the scene.....it's a suicide...???

.....it seems it would be very easy to get away with murder if that's as far as the investigation goes......

"Nearby was a ladder." How nearby?

Depending on the type of ladder and how close it was to the scene, it could be a suicide. But it is not likely unless the ladder is turned over. If a man climbs a ladder to a beam high enough to hang himself, the beam must be about 10 to 12 feet above the floor. When he tightens the noose around his neck that will create additional slack to the beam. When he steps off the ladder, he will fall the distance of the slack plus a few inches as a result of the tightening of the noose. If he places the noose correctly (to the right side or left side) The fall will almost surely break his neck and he will die instantly. But, if he is off more than 40 degrees, he will more likely die of strangulation after about a minute of involuntarily flopping around, during which time he will knock over the ladder. Even if he does not flop around, if he steps off the right or left side of the ladder, he will probably swing enough to knock the ladder over. However, since it would have been difficult for the writer of the article to pass up the chance to make the scene more grisly by mentioning an overturned ladder beneath the body, I am guessing that the ladder was upright.

Conclusion: if the ladder is greater than 2 feet from the noose or still standing, the man was murdered before the noose was was put around his neck. This presumes one variable: that the ladder was a step ladder.

But it leads me to one more question: Do all accommodations for Russian tourists in Phuket come equipped with a ladder?

• Like 1

I would love to join in with the banal comments, speculation and stereotyping that is being posted here but I will refrain from doing that as a mark of respect for the family and loved ones of the young man who may come across this thread.

What ever the truth is, a life is over when it should be beginning and it is a tragedy.

We have family and I hope that I never have to face a situation like this - ever!

To any of the young mans family and friends, I hope that you wil find the truth behind this loss and that you can get closure.

RIP young man.

• Like 2

I just wonder what can be so stressful at the age of 27 to cause someone to take their own life? So sad!

Life is full of peaks & valleys. When people feel their life will not change & they will always be in the valley I am afraid they lose. Very sad!

Even more crass posts removed. Can we have some respect for this poor soul who found the need to commit suicide, thank you.

What is going on lately?

Never have i seen so many posts on so many threads posted by disrespectful posters using all manner of crass, often vulgar, comments on race, looks, body sizes, and all manner of other subjects.

Is this a snapshot of the types of people now living in LOS?

Seriously..any ideas about this?

RIP to the deceased..depression is a bastard affliction....sad.png

+1, thank you.

TV posters are nothing more than a sad bunch of sorryass 'ambulance chasers' these days. Sad representation of the type of people (using that term loosely) that live on or come to Phuket these days. One of the main reasons I've left the island. Loved the place, hated the people now coming there and ruining the place.

• Like 1

I just wonder what can be so stressful at the age of 27 to cause someone to take their own life? So sad. RIP

Unfortunately even children commit suicide, usual because of peer pressure, bullying, parental expectations, exam stress, supposedly bringing shame on the family. etc. No age is exempt from stress and pressure, and if he had been drinking or on something, that can magnify relatively simple problems into major issues.

For example, both these charts indicate that someone in his age group in more likely to commit suicide than other age groups and under 19 years of age includes quite a few.

ABS+Suicide+Stats+2005+to+2010.pngAKsuicideby_age94-00.gif

Grief! The suicide rate among 80-plus Alaskans is so horrendous you can't help wondering if they really topping themselves or being stuck on ice floes by helpful relatives.

<snip>

One of the main reasons I've left the island. Loved the place, hated the people now coming there and ruining the place.

Perhaps you should come back and see how many Russians are here now. You won't believe it.

Even more crass posts removed. Can we have some respect for this poor soul who found the need to commit suicide, thank you.

What is going on lately?

Never have i seen so many posts on so many threads posted by disrespectful posters using all manner of crass, often vulgar, comments on race, looks, body sizes, and all manner of other subjects.

Quote: "RIP to the deceased..depression is a bastard affliction..."

Totally agree with this comment, and it surprises me how many people, not only on this thread, but on others I have seen, fail to realise this.

To the outsider it appears that suicide is the last desperate act of a desperate person, but they only see it from that perspective because they are of a sound mind. To the person afflicted with depression or a similar mental illness, there is no weighing up of the pros and cons of suicide, there is no rational thought process that goes into it and usually there is absolutely no way out for the poor individual (from their perspective) so suicide is a means to an end.

On some threads I have seen comments such as, "how selfish"........ "no thought for the family or friends"........"there was no need for them to do this"........"just think of the hurt they have caused" and so on. Again that is from a "rational" perspective, but it has to be remembered that the world and the situation the deceased person finds themself in is a completely different place to that which most of us know or are ever likely to experience, and there is only one way out of the darkness and despair for them – – –so sad.

RIP young man.

What is going on lately?

"Is this a snapshot of the types of people now living in LOS?"

No, it's an indication of the type of people that hang around Thai Visa.

• Like 1

What is going on lately?

Quote: "RIP to the deceased..depression is a bastard affliction..."

Totally agree with this comment, and it surprises me how many people, not only on this thread, but on others I have seen, fail to realise this.

To the outsider it appears that suicide is the last desperate act of a desperate person, but they only see it from that perspective because they are of a sound mind. To the person afflicted with depression or a similar mental illness, there is no weighing up of the pros and cons of suicide, there is no rational thought process that goes into it and usually there is absolutely no way out for the poor individual (from their perspective) so suicide is a means to an end.

On some threads I have seen comments such as, "how selfish"........ "no thought for the family or friends"........"there was no need for them to do this"........"just think of the hurt they have caused" and so on. Again that is from a "rational" perspective, but it has to be remembered that the world and the situation the deceased person finds themself in is a completely different place to that which most of us know or are ever likely to experience, and there is only one way out of the darkness and despair for them – – –so sad.

RIP young man.

Exactly right..a very good explanation...wai2.gif

Sadly tho' will never change the minds of the people who make the comments you mention..