Thai Democrat Party threatens to boycott second election

webfact

Why would they want to take part in an election?

Show again they are unable to win a majority? Embarrassing. They need ot get back to their bread and butter - Unelected Peoples Councils for all

Go Team Yelllow

Fight Team Yellow

Win Team Yellow

biggrin.png

Why should any democratic party try to win a majority? Isn't a coalition of various parties not a better guarantee of democratic behaviour? Of listening to all?

The Pheu Thai party likes to 'win' and respect the vote till it's counted, following which there is a 'thank you, please go home, we have a mandate, we have work to do'. Next turn to North Korea were recently Mr. Kim won 100% of all votes in his constituency with 100% of the electorate actually casting their vote. Bravo!

You do like your made up slogans don't you - what is all this "thank you, please go home, we have a mandate, we have work to do" - what is it's relevance? Don't bother telling me, I'm not that interested.

And this hyperbole about N.Korea? Its the dems that are coming up with the N.Korean election rules

"However, the Prime Minister and her government should not be the ones hosting the general election because they are part of the conflict, said Chavanond."

What are they supposed to do as a caretaker government, walk away and not contest the election?

And as for your coalition of various parties - how well did that go for the dems, not much of a guarantee of democratic behaviour was it, 6 MP's being disqualified by the CC and having to resign?

You highlight the current problems rather nicely, my dear fabs. Your somewhat aggressive post also indicates that some still do not understand that a new election with the same criminal fugitive controlling one of the political parties will not solve any problem.

As for your last sentence, wait till we get more details on how the Yingluck government managed to lose 700++ billion Baht in hardly more than two year rice price pledging and why somehow that made is necessary to have the blanket amnesty bill cover Ms. Yinglucks first two years in government as well.

• Like 1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"However, the Prime Minister and her government should not be the ones hosting the general election because they are part of the conflict, said Chavanond."

Democrat Party? What are they on - is he telling them they can't participate in the election because they happen to be the caretaker government?

Incredibly stupid statements and action.

Why compete in an election when the ruling party refuses to accept the verdicts of courts and independent agencies? The Dems have always respected their position of being the opposition. But with the present group of (self exiled) criminals running the country, what would it be worth to be an opposition party?

There are different views about the independence of the courts and independent agencies.But I fail to understand the relevance one way or another with the Democrats refusing to face the Thai public at a general election.

What you fail to understand is that a renewed election doesn't make sense with the same criminal fugitive led Pheu Thai party participating, with the UDD / red-shirts fanatically 'defending' those criminals.

The Democrats face the Thai public daily with their stand on corruption, the ineptitude of the 'Yingluck' government, the continued harassment by police and grenade throwing "unknowns".

• Like 1

Many seem to assume today's ruling will be a foregone conclusion but it will have fairly significant ramifications on any future election. If they rule it void due to the same day criteria all it would take is future disruption by a minority to prevent every single election. I'd hope at least the constitutional court can support the intent of the law even where others on both sides try and manipulate the laws, the backing for the intent of law is something that will hopefully come out of reforms but right now we are seeing the intent of law being corrupted in the name of removing corruption.

Regardless of their decision today let's hope they provide some clarity with their decision.

As a side note, I didn't think politicians who refused to take part in the last election could run in the following one so boycott might be a mute point, it would be great if there was clarity on this following today's decision.

• Like 1

Democrat Party? What are they on - is he telling them they can't participate in the election because they happen to be the caretaker government?

Why compete in an election when the ruling party refuses to accept the verdicts of courts and independent agencies? The Dems have always respected their position of being the opposition. But with the present group of (self exiled) criminals running the country, what would it be worth to be an opposition party?

There are different views about the independence of the courts and independent agencies.But I fail to understand the relevance one way or another with the Democrats refusing to face the Thai public at a general election.

What you fail to understand is that a renewed election doesn't make sense with the same criminal fugitive led Pheu Thai party participating, with the UDD / red-shirts fanatically 'defending' those criminals.

The Democrats face the Thai public daily with their stand on corruption, the ineptitude of the 'Yingluck' government, the continued harassment by police and grenade throwing "unknowns".

then they should win any election easily dear Rub... buy hey wait a minute... they don't... why's that?

could it be that the Thai populace don't want to be 'Ruled Over' by the elite anymore???

hmmmm food for thought? and a tasty entree it is

It's not the way to fight by not going election because the 90% world population believed in election by blocking the road and not contest in election cannot get rid of Thaksin empire it shows more childish way of immature way of Thai politician.

To fight we need to expose the wrong doing of other side like watergate scandal will makes President Nixon to resigned , we need to shown the people what damage have he done, example like rice pledging costing corruption the proof the money being transfer to overseas,

need to strong evident to fight to people will not being stupid again as farmer and tax payers money suffer but the people gain huge profits are those involved, so the next election the care taker will never win majority from the real people not few thousand walking on the street.

Doesn't work in Thailand. Not as long as a criminal fugitive is allowed to run his political party Pheu Thai, run and command his Yingluck government and cabinet. Not as long as all those can still participate in new elections and via the age old patronage system and 'keep them dumb' will get sufficient votes to continue raping the country.

To be fair, it seems that he is saying they shouldn't HOST the election. They are welcome to participate. It's not exactly clear to me what they mean by "HOSTING" an election. Maybe it's a translation issue.

• Like 1

then they should win any election easily dear Rub... buy hey wait a minute... they don't... why's that?

could it be that the Thai populace don't want to be 'Ruled Over' by the elite anymore???

A larger part of the Isaan population still lives under the age old patronage system, their own homegrown elite as it were. They vote as they are told to. Furthermore the participation of a political party led by a criminal fugitive abroad makes a mockery out of these elections.

A reform is needed before proper elections can be held.

To be fair, the point is that abhisit and co, whether they were busy fighting the UDD (for two months)

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Front_for_Democracy_Against_Dictatorship2009 unrest

2010 protests

Hardly 2 months.. rewriting Thaksin/ UDD history again!

A wiki argument. You mean they spent their entire time in government fighting off the evil Thaksinistas, there wasn't a moment of breathing space to announce, "this isn't working, we need reform" - did it mention that in wiki?

Follow that up with a further two plus years in opposition and no mention of the urgent need for reform. And so on to the end of 2013, when coincidentally, an election is called, the dems are likely to lose despite the political ground lost by the PTP, so they boycott and hope that suthep and his backers will do the spadework to return them to power.

Then, and only then, are the calls for reform heard echoing around the dem committee rooms. If you can't see that it is a cynical political ploy then you have to be naive at the very least.

(Oh and at least have the courtesy to show the forum you have severely edited my post, despite being against forum rules.)

You got it wrong so you get all snippy. I'm pretty sure that forum readers can still read your post.

I didn't change ANY wording.

All I did was edit to the part I answered.

You misinformed the forum.

I corrected you. Simple!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ho hum, where did I get it wrong? It's all very well stating that but at least have the nous to explain where, according to you, I "got it wrong".

That's why I get "snippy" - one sentence soundbites masquerading as debate.

According to you, the dems had made no mention of reform in their 31 months of governance because they were occupied that whole time with "the reds protesting" or "Thaksonites vetoing bills" which is ridiculous enough, but to neglect any mention of their time in opposition when they could have voiced their call for "reform" is just embarassing.

It's not exactly a convincing argument is it? But you showed that I was wrong and misinformed the the forum?

Simple is the correct definition of your counter "argument".

The Democrats stand they get elected on good solid policy and popular opinion, thats how you affect change, not running away and whining. Fact is they are not electable and they know it, that is why they are using any excuse rather than take part.

Democratic Party is avoiding the issue, its a political party and it either represents its voters or moves over and lets the ones that will run do it. Personally

Sad thing is they had their chance but blew it by taking the road of boycott and hitching their coat tail to mob rule.... wake up it dosnt do squat but p**s people off trying to make a living.

Moan all you like unless someone stands and runs against PTP things wont change unless the military step in and thats not looking likely. Even in the event of PTP getting disbanded you can bet they or TRT who can now restand will form up and make a run next election and yknow what ? they will probably win.

Politics is simple you form a party and work hard and concentrate on the electorate they need to convince to support you. The Dems dont and havnt done either.

• Like 2

They wanted reforms alright, but were stymied by the fact that they had a number of minority parties in the coalition that prevented those reforms being made or implemented as it was unlikely that they would agree to the reforms suggested by the Democrats as it would not provide any benefits to them and they didn't have the numbers to pass them because the PTP would have vetoed them.

I am looking forward to a break-up of the Dem Party. Forward looking moderates forming another party and leave the heavily influenced and dominated 'Suterp' party. They can also leave behind the puppet party leader who has not shown any strength and conviction to be his own man.

Many seem to assume today's ruling will be a foregone conclusion but it will have fairly significant ramifications on any future election. If they rule it void due to the same day criteria all it would take is future disruption by a minority to prevent every single election. I'd hope at least the constitutional court can support the intent of the law even where others on both sides try and manipulate the laws, the backing for the intent of law is something that will hopefully come out of reforms but right now we are seeing the intent of law being corrupted in the name of removing corruption.

Regardless of their decision today let's hope they provide some clarity with their decision.

As a side note, I didn't think politicians who refused to take part in the last election could run in the following one so boycott might be a mute point, it would be great if there was clarity on this following today's decision.

As a side note it is perfectly acceptable for a political party to decide not to participate in a general election. That's a democratic right you might say.

To be fair, it seems that he is saying they shouldn't HOST the election. They are welcome to participate. It's not exactly clear to me what they mean by "HOSTING" an election. Maybe it's a translation issue.

It must be a translation issue, he can't be that much of an eedjit.

I'm not sure I understand you.How do the machinations of the PTP/red shirts prevent the Democrats contesting the election? How does the election not make sense?

Whatever the hostile post election environment (which obviously is an issue for the PTP as well) the victorious Democrats could initiate a programme of reform most of which doesn't relate to electoral procedures.

As always those opposed to elections go very vague when asked to be specific about their objections.One must assume in the absence of evidence it's just cold feet about their electoral prospects.

But if anyone can make a coherent case my mind remains open.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

the democrates are as stupid as the hole establishement, they did not learn the lesson. they should fight to win the next elections, their general meaninig of we will loose anyway is a very bad thing...only looosers say in advance we will loose...but they could win if they really would believe in winning

They want to win without a fight. They have alienated themselves so far from the electorate in the north, that there is no hope now, other than getting their friends in the constitutional court to grant them victory by unconstitutional and undemocratic means. The thai elite are living the best lives in the world, why would they want a change?

As a side note it is perfectly acceptable for a political party to decide not to participate in a general election. That's a democratic right you might say.

They can simply run as a newly named party such as the 'Truly Democratic party' if they wish. After all, when Shinawatra parties get dissolved he just changes the name!!!

I'm not sure I understand you.How do the machinations of the PTP/red shirts prevent the Democrats contesting the election? How does the election not make sense?

Whatever the hostile post election environment (which obviously is an issue for the PTP as well) the victorious Democrats could initiate a programme of reform most of which doesn't relate to electoral procedures.

As always those opposed to elections go very vague when asked to be specific about their objections.One must assume in the absence of evidence it's just cold feet about their electoral prospects.

But if anyone can make a coherent case my mind remains open.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A bit obtuse this morning, dear jboy?

I didn't write that UDD/Pheu Thai machinations prevent the Dem. party from contesting an election. I only said that with the same criminal fugitive led Pheu Thai party it doesn't make sense to have new elections. How can you have proper elections when one political party is run and controlled by a bail-jumper hiding abroad? How can you have proper elections when the party 'winning a mandate' last time only used it to help their criminal fugitive leader to a passport and others to loads of money by 'taking care of' corruption.

All this also makes 'after the elections' simple speculation based on hot air.

As always you go off into some obfuscation. BTW did you really grow up in England, do you really understand democracy, elections and the 'respect my vote even AFTER it has been counted'?

As is your prerogative...refuse to be a part of the thing your name embodies..."The Democratic Party, in that case, would not participate in the new general election even if the party had to be dissolved as stipulated in the constitution. It will instead find another way to reform the country."

Great! no surprise here... ( but not too smart I fear in the long run)...but ..Hey now you can start a new Party..The PRP Party... The Popcorn Reform Party...just be kind enough to not use Democratic again for it flies full in the face of what you are all about.. I had such high hopes for some kind of political outreach...six months ago when the rumblings began...some kind of build.... constructive build on what you found as weaknesses in the opposition...and you had a great opportunity.. to exploit it through political outreach, populist education and had you been concerned at all about reform... offered it then... and given the people you need to win an alternative...but instead you let a genie out of the bottle and it became enamored with its power of obstruction rather than construction...what a sham... lost faith in all parties here now...especially disappointed in the Democrats...but alas your claim to reform...that was and will never be the intention..as reform is the farthest thing from the Agenda.... same as it was last time around.....a paper tiger ...Democratic Reform...oxymoron...

This is, I think, an excellent post that invites a good look in to the core of who the people are in the Democrat Party, what they presently propagate, and that which they pursue with an unrelenting determination and single-mindedness. The Democrat Party, Thailand's oldest continuous political party, has not so much evolved as it has revolved. That is, while it is not (yet) a gang of People's Council stormtroopers, the Democrat Party is actively and irreversably against a representative democratic government that is predicated in the 1 person, 1 vote precept.

"Whether the power and wealth agent that takes the place of government is a local baron, lord, or corporation, if it has greater power in the lives of individuals than does a representative government, the culture has dissolved into feudalism. The feudal system means the rigorous economic subjection of a host of humble folk to a few powerful men. This doesn't mean the end of government, but, instead the subordination of government to the interest of the feudal lords."
  • Like 1

the democrates are as stupid as the hole establishement, they did not learn the lesson. they should fight to win the next elections, their general meaninig of we will loose anyway is a very bad thing...only looosers say in advance we will loose...but they could win if they really would believe in winning

They want to win without a fight. They have alienated themselves so far from the electorate in the north, that there is no hope now, other than getting their friends in the constitutional court to grant them victory by unconstitutional and undemocratic means. The thai elite are living the best lives in the world, why would they want a change?

Actually all UDD shoutcasts have indoctrinated the poor uneducated masses in the NorthEast to the point that those fail to understand that helping a criminal fugitive who just happens to be an Amply rich billionair is not the same as defending democracy.

In that sense you may say that the local elite upcountry is leading the best lives in the world with their former serfs still willing to defend the good life their betters have while being content with a meager handout every once in a while.

• Like 1

Have you been asleep or out of touch with reality.

This is not about who wins the election this is about reforming the government. Are you standing up for the PTP when they cheat farmers out of their money when they promise taxa rebates when they promise pads for every one in school and deliver a few and the ones they deliver are no good. Are you for crooked elections. These are the things that the anti government protestors are trying to change. Then have an election.

Wake up and ask your self why the PTP does not want an election over haul before the election? The answer is so simple I will not insult your intelligence by pretending you don't know and have to be told.

The Democrats are fighting to reform a government that allows that. Reform the government and they have no fear of the election. It will be an honest one and they will accept that. to let the PTP carry on is just supporting their illegal ways.

Thailand is sliding down hill each year it gets more corrupt. With the ASEAN coming up I for one would thing they would like Thailand to be a more honest country. Corruption is in every country. But look at Singapore and how little it has and yet how well it is doing.

It is entirely about elections.

One side wants democracy and one side doesn't.

One side wants elections and the other side wants appointments

Why are the Yellows opposed to democracy?

Because the majority wear red shirts, the minority wear yellow shirts.

Simple as that.

How about you wake up, try and see past the "Thaksin is evil crap" and recognise, in all its horrors, what it is that you are supporting here.

Undemocratic crooks who are lower than the dust under the sandals of the poorest farmer in north.

BTW - the Democrats aren't fighting, they're boycotting.

Singapore is a tax haven, full stop.

So you maintain that if a country has an election no matter how rigged it is they havwee a democracy? Germany 1940 was a democracy and that is what you are looking for.

Not up on my world history but I do know that the states ,Canada, Great Briton and Thailand do not have a Democracy. In a Democracy the majority wins. Not 48%.

As is your prerogative...refuse to be a part of the thing your name embodies..."The Democratic Party, in that case, would not participate in the new general election even if the party had to be dissolved as stipulated in the constitution. It will instead find another way to reform the country."

Great! no surprise here... ( but not too smart I fear in the long run)...but ..Hey now you can start a new Party..The PRP Party... The Popcorn Reform Party...just be kind enough to not use Democratic again for it flies full in the face of what you are all about.. I had such high hopes for some kind of political outreach...six months ago when the rumblings began...some kind of build.... constructive build on what you found as weaknesses in the opposition...and you had a great opportunity.. to exploit it through political outreach, populist education and had you been concerned at all about reform... offered it then... and given the people you need to win an alternative...but instead you let a genie out of the bottle and it became enamored with its power of obstruction rather than construction...what a sham... lost faith in all parties here now...especially disappointed in the Democrats...but alas your claim to reform...that was and will never be the intention..as reform is the farthest thing from the Agenda.... same as it was last time around.....a paper tiger ...Democratic Reform...oxymoron...

This is, I think, an excellent post that invites a good look in to the core of who the people are in the Democrat Party, what they presently propagate, and that which they pursue with an unrelenting determination and single-mindedness. The Democrat Party, Thailand's oldest continuous political party, has not so much evolved as it has revolved. That is, while it is not (yet) a gang of People's Council stormtroopers, the Democrat Party is actively and irreversably against a representative democratic government that is predicated in the 1 person, 1 vote precept.

"Whether the power and wealth agent that takes the place of government is a local baron, lord, or corporation, if it has greater power in the lives of individuals than does a representative government, the culture has dissolved into feudalism. The feudal system means the rigorous economic subjection of a host of humble folk to a few powerful men. This doesn't mean the end of government, but, instead the subordination of government to the interest of the feudal lords."

There's the 'fascist' term again, in a topic which has a political party saying they don't see any reasons for an election as long as a criminal fugitive is still controlling one of the political parties. With Pheu Thai in it's "mandate, thank you, go home now" I can understand that attitude and request for reforms before new elections are held.

Mind you proper reforms would bind ALL parties, groups, sides.

blah Blah Blah.

Why don't you talk about the grass roots people who started this movement and back Suthep. You just continually attack Democrats. they are just one of many groups backing the movement to rid Thailand of as much corruption as they can.

Why do you continually back corruption?

Or if you wish continually attack those who do oppose it?

Take your pick.

• Like 1

A larger part of the Isaan population still lives under the age old patronage system, their own homegrown elite as it were. They vote as they are told to. Furthermore the participation of a political party led by a criminal fugitive abroad makes a mockery out of these elections.

So, please tell us all what specific reforms you would consider need to be in place before proper elections can take place, and how would these reforms be implemented? Your mate Suthep can't elaborate on this question, but perhaps you can.

• Like 1

It must be a translation issue, he can't be that much of an eedjit.

I haven't seen the Thai version but it is logical to assume that what he meant was that they don't want the caretaker government to hang on in power and call another election which could end up disrupted like the last one. They want them to step down and allow a "neutral" interim government to come in and call the election.

The Dems will be dissolved, if they boycott a second consecutive general election but they may be able to prepare a new shell party and have all current executives resign before making the decision to pull out meaning there would be no impact from the dissolution. Alternatively they might consider a voluntary dissolution of the party before the candidate registration date and then form a new party after the elections. Certainly this latter scenario is not covered in the Constitution.

Edited by Dogmatix

So, please tell us all what specific reforms you would consider need to be in place before proper elections can take place, and how would these reforms be implemented? Your mate Suthep can't elaborate on this question, but perhaps you can.

Such agressiveness, chill-out man.

The PDRC is having forums to setup frameworks for possible reforms. A broader participation is needed to further give body to that framework. Even more participation will be needed to get some consensus on the reforms. Discussions on how to implement should come when the reforms are seen as getting into a workable shape.

In the mean time, you might want to give us your view on things?

No use speculating as the scene has been set. Most analysts know that the independent agencies will remove Yingluck and her entire cabinet to creat a power vacuum and claim any election can't be held and the need to nominate a PM of their choice. That's why the bold statement of non election participation by the Dem. No need for all the charade. Hold your breathe for what comes next. Democracy is again being cheated.

No use speculating as the scene has been set. Most analysts know that the independent agencies will remove Yingluck and her entire cabinet to creat a power vacuum and claim any election can't be held and the need to nominate a PM of their choice. That's why the bold statement of non election participation by the Dem. No need for all the charade. Hold your breathe for what comes next. Democracy is again being cheated.

Surely you mean 'democracy is being promoted'!!!

It would seem that 'most analysts' know more than the general public, or even TV members.

Mind you the independent agencies like the CC and NACC rule on facts backed by constitution, laws and evidence. That's not the same as you stating "to create a power vacuum".

The rest is simple speculation on assumptions you make.

Democracy is again being cheated by those who seem to need to defend an undemocratic government controlled by a Pheu Thai party which is owned and commanded by a criminal fugitive abroad.

• Like 1