Alternatives to Thailand. Cambodia ? Philippines ?

septimus

Any members have pros and cons please?

I am tempted by Philippines, No 800.000 Needed ? and British Pensions increase.

but don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

So I'm wondering about experience of BIG negatives please.

What do you mean 800,000 needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'd assume that the OP means 80 k on a bank account to receive a retirement visa.

Edited by sirchai

Philippines is a beautiful country but for security wise far more behind from Thailand , I recalled my experience in Manila few year back a police car stopped my taxi and asking my passport as I have telling him in my hotel safe deposit just few block from here , the policemen refuse and asking for beer money to be given or big trouble in Thailand this will never happen. Even the police robbed you just imagine that, beer SM is very cheap but the cost if living much higher .

One year I was in manila around new years and watched an advert on tv re 'dob in a cop' on new years eve if he lets off his fire arm (pistol). I thought to myself this is the wildwest and confirmed after spending new yrs eve in the big ugly city. Thailand is better for me.

I'm from Philippines and I love my country no matter what other people think and say... :) :) :)

OP you can try to visit Cambodia or Vietnam for a month to know which country is better.. Good Luck.

Oh ok. I thought the Philippine government is asking for 800,000. smile.png

Just wondering how you thought he meant that when he wrote...................."No 800.000 Needed ?"

That's why I'm asking because I don't know that No 800.000

(Mods - this should have been a sticky years ago ..)

OP, this issue has been discussed at great length on several occasions in the SEA forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/123-southeast-asia-forum/

It was also very popular when the British pound dropped to record lows a year or so back - not sure if *anyone* actually went anywhere other than the UK, but here's my two cents worth:

1. For every country in the region, most of us can list positives and negatives, but a single negative experience (particularly assault/robbery) in a given country really drags any further discussion of said country into a downward spiral. I'm not sure how many TVers have actually been robbed in KL, but those motorbike bandits must ride straight past me at 3am - God favors fools and drunks, apparently ;)

2. If all you want is cheap beer and company, I'm not aware of a better option than Cambodia and the corruption reportedly makes it very easy to get a 12-month business visa. Personally, I want more than the above, and I just know that said corruption would come back to haunt me eventually. If you can find any two people who agree on S'ville or Siem Reap as viable alternatives to PP, please let me know - to date, those threads seem to go nowhere.

3. If this thread is accurate, you may have problems leaving the PI with a new girlfriend:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/711084-filipinos-required-proof-of-financial-capability-to-travel/

4. Anyone who considers Thailand a corrupt country may not enjoy life in neighbouring countries, With the exception of Singapore and possibly Brunei, I doubt that any of them are immune to this cancer - by the time you get to Indonesia, its simply the way things are done on a daily basis. I'm hoping I can play 'see no evil' in Malaysia - time will tell.

If all of the above sounds a bit academic, 35 days from now I climb on a plane out of Sydney and expect to be a resident of Penang just as soon as I settle a 12-month lease on a condo. Till then, soihok and one or two others here can give you more info on Malaysia - just be aware that the overall cost of living (particularly nightlife) is generally more expensive than Thailand. My only experience of Malaysia to date is as a tourist, but the only way to find out if it's for me is to get my feet wet - I suspect that you will eventually come to the same realisation. Good luck.

• Like 2

Just wondering how you thought he meant that when he wrote...................."No 800.000 Needed ?"

Go to Fillys.

Meet a girl who is educated and bring her here to live.

Thats the perfect solution.

Fillys is a shit hole.

Thats why all the Pinos want to leave!

• Like 1

Go to Fillys.

Meet a girl who is educated and bring her here to live.

Thats the perfect solution.

Fillys is a shit hole.

Thats why all the Pinos want to leave!

+1

There is a good reason why so many westerners take their filipinas to live in thailand.

PI is a complete dump......I don't know how they messed it up so bad, but they have.

The food is some of the worst in the world.

Oucchhhhh.....

I think much better for me to leave this forum now. I don't want to read any comments against Philippines.

I've lived and worked in Thailand, the Philippines and Cambodia, 5 years plus in each. Cambodia is where I will turn to ash. I would suggest a 6 month to 1 year stay in PI as a tester. For me personally, you couldn't pay me enough to go back, but as I always say, one man's meat.......

• Like 1

I was getting a little tired of Thai attitudes to falangs and I have had a few disappointing relationships with Thai girls since being here so I was seriously considering going to the Philippines myself. Then I ended up in a relationship with a Philippino girl here in Thailand and she is a cut above the Thai girls I have met, she speaks good English, is independent, has a good job, doesn't want to be wined dined and taken on holidays or go on shopping sprees, has a great sense of humour and she is always telling me to go to the Philippines if we split up. Seems to me that's good advice. However, Mr O is right, go onto a Philippines forum and get some info first hand. Good luck.

My history goes back 30 years in the Philippines....18 straight.

Coming back to the Philippines from Thailand was a pleasure. People here are just outgoing, and enjoy fun, life and laughter. Try not to act "Aloof"...just wink and say something funny and you will have good company here.

Hearing them speak english is always a kick.

Remember, bad things happen around bad places. Angeles can have the same problem as Pattaya... But you can go thousands of other places in the PI and not worry so much. The beaches can be as good...or better. Try Palawan, El Nido.

Prices are similar.......Manila and Angeles have many, many good places to eat.

The girls will try to get you in Angeles, even during off duty time.... but they are fun. You just sit in an outdoor cafe about 5pm and watch em go to work.

Outside of Angeles, it is a cinch to get a gal who never worked a bar as well.

Rent is about the same. Beer, perhaps a bit cheaper...

it will be familiar to you.....more so than thailand.

Make sure your name is JOE. Instead of a farang....you will be called Joe, Joey or Cano...

all due to the American history here...............live with it.

three kids here....one almost 38, one 19, and one 14 .....

Plenty of internation schools.............enjoy............stay forever if you get married.

I paid fifty bucks and got permanent resident......since 95\

on a visa run here in angeles right now...with my son. enjoying.

• Like 1

I have been married to a Filipina and twice to Thai girls (I know, some people never learn) and I have spent a lot of time in both countries

If girls from the Philippines were exported en masse to Thailand and Thai ladies to the Phil., Thailand would win my vote every time

I know one shouldn't generalise but, in my experience, Filipina's have far more human qualities than Thai girls and are likely to make far better partners and wives

Having run dating agencies and monitored the futures of my successful clients I have seen many unfortunate later break ups occur, but, tellingly, in British-Filipina break ups it has been the fault of the husbands, whereas in British-Thai relationships it has been the fault of the wives

In other ways the Philippines also plays second fiddle to Thailand. From the moment you set foot in Manila Airport you are at risk. Scams start immediately from getting a trolley to hiring a taxi, and they continue throughout your stay.

Thailand's infrastructure is far superior and it is so much cleaner than the Phil.

I know I have always stayed in reasonable accommodation in Thailand but even 3 and 4 star hotels in the Phil are plagued by cockroaches. Cleaning products such as bleach and disinfectants are rarely used, and food preparation is often u hygienic

So my suggestion would be to stick with Thailand. If you decide to look at the Phil go south to the Visayas. Try Leyte, Samar, Bohol, Cebu and the northern fringes of Mindanoa. Never buy a property, always rent.

You will never need a safe deposit box in the Phill just put your wallet under a bar of soap

• Like 2

+1

There is a good reason why so many westerners take their filipinas to live in thailand.

PI is a complete dump......I don't know how they messed it up so bad, but they have.

The food is some of the worst in the world.

Oucchhhhh.....

I think much better for me to leave this forum now. I don't want to read any comments against Philippines.

You have to admit that even the Filipinos don't want to live in the PI...at least the ones that I've met. Where do you live, btw?

I like the Philippines but retirement in Thailand is much easier, with respect to visas. I don't keep 800k in a Thai bank, I get a Verification of Pension letter from my embassy, thai immigration accepts it in lieu of money in the bank. As I recall the Philippines requires $10,000 US in one of their banks with a verified pension.

Alternatives to SE Asia? Back to the USA for me smile.png

no money required for I card if you have a filipina wife ....

much, much different.

I was divorced from my filipina wife, but passport says i am still married....Voila !!!!!

You have to admit that even the Filipinos don't want to live in the PI...at least the ones that I've met. Where do you live, btw?

Incorrect. I know many who have married friends...and myself 30 years ago...and lived in the states. They all want to go back to PI..... with money of course.

same idea as the Isaan gal returning with the fat farang wallet and making her mark.

In the Philippines, it is very tribal... People in a Barrio are like a big family. It is the social interaction that is missing completely where I live in Udon, now. The Filipinos are all out in the streets mingling with neighbors, singing, drinking outside and kind of hanging out. Thai people stay indoors when at home. Filipinos stay outdoors....and group up. It is kind of festive. They organize into Barkadas (packs of close friends) and roam around... They miss that alot

If you ever really talk to a Filipina/Filipino in the USA ....they will seem happy, but you can see they miss their Barrio and Barkada of friends... and will get misty eyed.... You need to see how happy they are when they get back herE..