Why Is Thailand So Backward?

Belfastboy

I was reading this article today regarding Malaysia's plan to become a fully developed country by 2020, and judging by opinion Malaysia are wll under way to achieve this.

it got me thinking to why Thailand continues to fall behind its neighbours eg Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam ..

Thailand is already at the bottom of the english speaking league when it comes to children learning english as a second language, apprarently Cambodia has now overtaken thailand in this regard as has Vietnam...

Come on Thailand get your act together....even Laos speaks better english..!

so wonder what your thoughts are why Thailand continues to slip behind its neighbours economically ?

so why can't thailand do what Malaysia is doing??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5020794.stm

Edited by Belfastboy

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the possible reasons Thailand lags behind some other nations:

Malaysia has 1/3rd of the population.

Malaya was a long time British colony with English as a second language.

Laos has 1/10th of Thailand's population and was once a French colonial possession.

Cambodia has about 1/5th and it too was a French colony.

Thais pride themselves on never being colonized and maybe are paying a small price for that now,who knows.

After all, several African nations have populations that speak much better English than Thais, Kenya, Zimbabwe, South Africa to name just 3.

India was the Jewel in The Crown of British colonies or dominions and look at their infrastructure and English skills.

Thailand has a lot of catching up to do and needs the determination to do just that. :o

Who are Thailands competitors in the region really?

Malaysian, Singapore and to a lesser extent Vietnam

Then we have China for manufacturing etc.

What is Thailands competetive advantage over the others?

It does seem to be slipping away in some area's?

What is the direct inward investment compared to others?

Who is attracting the most new jobs, company set ups and main regional offices?

I think they need to get a clear national strategy and move towards it.

Personally I think the Thai Government and Culture is mainly to be blamed by 'missing' the boat and economical slipping further downwards.

I don't know about Malaysia but I've done business in the past with countries like Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and China (apart from Europe and North America).

The difference in business attitude, workmanship, speed, and so many more things which are important to do business, is enormous and a night-and-day difference with Thailand, being Thailand a nightmare, which I left doing business with, after trying for some years.

I'm not the only one since a couple of businessfriends acknowledged the same to me and ALL left Thailand, doing business now in countries like China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea.

De deliveries were a complete disaster and I lost a huge amount of money. And this was with larger companies.

I don't know if any of you visited China in the past few months/years but what's going on there is completely MIND-BOGGLING.

The people...ALL THE PEOPLE...are working so hard that's it is unbelievable.

They have a 'drive' which can't be compared to the Thai in general; the Thai (and I am really sorry to say this) are lazy, in comparison to the Chinese.

I still love Thailand very much...going on Holiday... :o but not for business anymore.

NO WAY!

Ooops...maybe I've stepped on some toes here :D

LaoPo

Monochaser I've never heard you say a good thing about Thailand, or women for that matter. Maybe the problem is a little closer to home, and your inability to deal with women or life in general is making you so bitter? I'd ask why you don't just go home if you dislike it so much but judging from your attitude, and posting history I'd say it's highly likely you weren't able to cope there either.

cv

Monochaser I've never heard you say a good thing about Thailand, or women for that matter. Maybe the problem is a little closer to home, and your inability to deal with women or life in general is making you so bitter? I'd ask why you don't just go home if you dislike it so much but judging from your attitude, and posting history I'd say it's highly likely you weren't able to cope there either.

cv

Cruel, but true! :o

ROTFLMAO -

This thread contains some of the most ignorant statements I have ever seen on Thaivisa.

Laos ahead of Thailand? What are you smoking? More Thais speak English than the entire population of Laos. Laos is a landlocked country with only three industry sectors: mining, hydroelectric power genertion, and garment manufacturing. There is nothing else.

Cambodia? 80% of the government officials in Camboia never even attended university - many never even graduated from high school (not their fault - most educated persons were slaughtered back in "Year Zero"). Chonburi provine has more paved roads than all of Cambodia.

Vietnam and Laos (alomng with China, North Korea, and Cuba)are still Communist Countries. You still have to join the Communist Party to be a first-class citizen.

Try talking to Westerners who hve run busineses in Vietnam - they will tell you horror strories about the beuracracy that make Thailand look like a model of efficiency.

Singapore - well, its certainly well-educated and efficient. But - before you start trumpetting Singapore, you best check out a few things. Like the certificate of Entitlement rules for buying a car, or the waiting list for a new flt from the Housing Developmnt Board (imagine marrying your sweetheart in 2006, and signing up for your own apartment - which will becme available in 2013). Hey - but you can always drink and dance until dawn! Thaland is swarming with Singaporean start-up companies. Wh? One reason is that all Singporean men must serves their entire adult life in the military or military active reserves - and one of the few ways to escape annual service is to be posted to work outside Singapore.

Malaysia is a pretty good place. I just don't lke living in a collection of sultanates, each headed by a Muslim Sultan. With world trends going the way they are, I cant imagne ever wanting to put down roots, unless I converted to Islam. And pigs will fly befre that ever happens.

Western and Japanese investment has always been here. Now, Indian, and Chinese, and Middle Eastern investment is STREAMING in. You needn't shed any tears about how Thailand's foreign direct investment outlook is falling apart.

The main people who are singing the blues around Thailand are the sex tourists, and the refugees from socialized Western economies that tax the everloving daylights out of ther hard-working citizens, to subsidize unassimilated masses of hostile immigrants.

We're also immigrants in Thailand - and way too many of us are "unassimilated." Let's not also be hostile.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Yes, Thailand has the available hot chicks, without them this place is toast, I mean toast

I pity you for not fully realising what Thailand has to offer...

totster :o

No, he does realize exactly what Thailand has to offer, even if its not a particularly original observation to say it.

This guy merely repeats what uncounted other people say all the time and he's instantly denounced here as a social mitfit. Good Lord. The board is at least being consistent in its blind, unstinting boosterism about Thailand, isn't it?

Edited by OldAsiaHand

I dont think the OP mentioned Lao or Cambo, they came in along the way. Nothing wrong with Commie countries, they are just a little understandably careful. Viet Nam is coming on like a bullet train and leaving Thailand in the dust

Singapore - well, its certainly well-educated and efficient. But - before you start trumpetting Singapore, you best check out a few things. Like the certificate of Entitlement rules for buying a car, or the waiting list for a new flt from the Housing Developmnt Board (imagine marrying your sweetheart in 2006, and signing up for your own apartment - which will becme available in 2013). Hey - but you can always drink and dance until dawn! Thaland is swarming with Singaporean start-up companies. Wh? One reason is that all Singporean men must serves their entire adult life in the military oractive reserves - and one of the few ways to escape annual service is to be posted to work outside Singapore.

Ummm...They have military conscription here mate.

Yep, s'pore with it's well educated,mainly uncorrupted, wealthy population and good health services.(not to mention the massive surplus that the Country has to continually keep buying up half the world...) is a <deleted> place.

It's a pity that Thailand can not learn a bit from them.

Yes, Thailand has the available hot chicks, without them this place is toast, I mean toast

No, he does realize exactly what Thailand has to offer, even if its not a particularly original observation to say it.

This guy merely repeats what uncounted other people say all the time and he's instantly denounced here as a social mitfit. Good Lord. The board is at least being consistent in its blind, unstinting boosterism about Thailand, isn't it?

Implying that all Thailand has to offer is available hot chicks and without them this place is toast, is quite simply ridiculous...

Anyone who is shallow minded enough to not only believe it, but to come on here and say it,.. must be a very sad and lonely person.

totster :D

Implying that all Thailand has to offer is available hot chicks and without them this place is toast, is quite simply ridiculous...

Anyone who is shallow minded enough to not only believe it, but to come on here and say it,.. must be a very sad and lonely person.

That's an interesting concept though.How many people here would have come or kept visiting Thailand if the shelias were not so available? (and I'm not just talking BG's here!) :D

That's an interesting concept though.How many people here would have come or kept visiting Thailand if the shelias were not so available? (and I'm not just talking BG's here!) :o

But.. we're not talking about repeat tourism.. The fact still remains that many many people come to Thailand for reasons other than Sheilas...

That's an interesting concept though.How many people here would have come or kept visiting Thailand if the shelias were not so available? (and I'm not just talking BG's here!) :D

They all come for the beaches and national parks, Chuchok :D

No, most of us conceed that there are problems with Thailand. However there's that element of expats and visitors who are here just because they are not able to obtain either love or sex at home, and come here to buy or rent a reasonable facsimilie of it, and then when their shortcut around learning social skills fails they blame the whole country for their lack of success in life. Most people are too polite to say it but lets face it, there are alot of losers in Thailand hiding from the fact that they couldn't make it at home. When they fail here, either financially, or in a relationship, they blame Thailand for everything.

Fortunately there's many here who have seen it as an opportunity, or a second chance and have made the best of it, and appreciate what they've achieved. If you know these people, they're likely the ones who take personal responsibility for their situations, and you will rarely see them blaming other people or countries for their problems.

I'm sick of seeing people with screwed up lives blaming Thailand, or Thai women for all their troubles.

cv

I'm always taken aback by the general lack of economic and historical awareness on this board.It is an absurd position to take that Thailand is backward compared to its neighbours.The progress of Thailand in the last 30 years has been extraordinarily rapid, moving from being a producer of unprocessed agricultural commodities to a diversified economic powerhouse.To compare apples with apples, one must look at countries in the region of a comparable size -Burma, Vietnam, Phillipines.In each instance Thailand is obviously much more advanced.Of course Thailand has its challenges - for example,the educational system, the police force, social and economic inequalities.But in general it is an inspiring story.

Of course there's no room for complacency particularly given the rise of China.But Thailand is well positioned to profit from this given cultural affinity.

They all come for the beaches and national parks, Chuchok :D

And the Pandas in Chiang Mai zoo... :o

I am the first to rave about the "chicks" here, but they not the only good thing about Thailand.

The people are friendly and kind and easy to get along with. The country is beautiful and lush, and many people adore the food.

There is good reason that we live here instead of the Phillipines! :D

ROTFLMAO -

This thread contains some of the most ignorant statements I have ever seen on Thaivisa.

Laos ahead of Thailand? What are you smoking? More Thais speak English than the entire population of Laos. Laos is a landlocked country with only three industry sectors: mining, hydroelectric power genertion, and garment manufacturing. There is nothing else.

Cambodia? 80% of the government officials in Camboia never even attended university - many never even graduated from high school (not their fault - most educated persons were slaughtered back in "Year Zero"). Chonburi provine has more paved roads than all of Cambodia.

Vietnam and Laos (alomng with China, North Korea, and Cuba)are still Communist Countries. You still have to join the Communist Party to be a first-class citizen.

Try talking to Westerners who hve run busineses in Vietnam - they will tell you horror strories about the beuracracy that make Thailand look like a model of efficiency.

Singapore - well, its certainly well-educated and efficient. But - before you start trumpetting Singapore, you best check out a few things. Like the certificate of Entitlement rules for buying a car, or the waiting list for a new flt from the Housing Developmnt Board (imagine marrying your sweetheart in 2006, and signing up for your own apartment - which will becme available in 2013). Hey - but you can always drink and dance until dawn! Thaland is swarming with Singaporean start-up companies. Wh? One reason is that all Singporean men must serves their entire adult life in the military or military active reserves - and one of the few ways to escape annual service is to be posted to work outside Singapore.

Malaysia is a pretty good place. I just don't lke living in a collection of sultanates, each headed by a Muslim Sultan. With world trends going the way they are, I cant imagne ever wanting to put down roots, unless I converted to Islam. And pigs will fly befre that ever happens.

Western and Japanese investment has always been here. Now, Indian, and Chinese, and Middle Eastern investment is STREAMING in. You needn't shed any tears about how Thailand's foreign direct investment outlook is falling apart.

The main people who are singing the blues around Thailand are the sex tourists, and the refugees from socialized Western economies that tax the everloving daylights out of ther hard-working citizens, to subsidize unassimilated masses of hostile immigrants.

We're also immigrants in Thailand - and way too many of us are "unassimilated." Let's not also be hostile.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Well done Steve! :o