i-mobile phones. Any reviews, opinions, advice appreciated.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking to buy an I-mobile phone.

My concern is will I be able to use the phone on an up coming business trip to the United States?

Are there any compatibility problems?

Just poking around, looks like there's an issue. The US uses GSM 850 MHz and/or 1900 MHz depending on carrier and area. These phones, from the specs in the manuals, only seem to use GSM 900 1800 MHz.

I'm not sure, but I think if the GSM frequency isn't compatible, it wouldn't make a difference if the 3G frequency happens to line up.

All the i-mobile smart phones use 3g. Some are 900/2100.some are 850/2100 and some are 850/900/2100. You need to check the models .. all are 900/1800 2g. None as yet are LTE (as far as I know)

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My concern is will I be able to use the phone on an up coming business trip to the United States?

Just poking around, looks like there's an issue. The US uses GSM 850 MHz and/or 1900 MHz depending on carrier and area. These phones, from the specs in the manuals, only seem to use GSM 900 1800 MHz.

I'm not sure, but I think if the GSM frequency isn't compatible, it wouldn't make a difference if the 3G frequency happens to line up.

All the i-mobile smart phones use 3g. Some are 900/2100.some are 850/2100 and some are 850/900/2100. You need to check the models .. all are 900/1800 2g. None as yet are LTE (as far as I know)

Will the phone work as a phone if the 3G frequencies line up, but not the GSM frequencies?

Will the phone work as a phone if the 3G frequencies line up, but not the GSM frequencies?

Yep.. no problem ..but ONLY on the 3g network

A lot of the i-mobile phones have two models i.e 7.6 and 7.6A which have different frequencies.

was just looking thru lazada for i-mobile phone

IQ 9.1 is discouted

but says "i-Mobile IQ9.1 - AIS - Dark Blue"

http://www.lazada.co.th/i-mobile-iq91-ais-dark-blue-136994.html

Forgive me if this is a stupid question .... but can you only use AIS with this phone?

Check out the 2 posts above yours.. it will be a phone working on the 3g frequencies 900-2100 eg AIS.. True and DTAC use 850-2100.

• 1 month later...

I bought an iMobile, reluctantly, last year and it was truly a piece of crap. Just very cheap construction and it gave me problems from the minute I opened the package. Then the charger port broke. It literally just snapped off the board. Never had any device do that and it was all about simply bad design.

But the new phones look much better. I'm almost tempted to buy one but I'm going to wait and let some friends tell me of their experiences first. I mean months and months and months of experience. I tried to save money before and ended up simply tossing away what I did spend. Dont' want to do that again.

So I guess I'm not actually answering the question. Oooops!

I have had an IQ6 for over a year now. The screen is great and does not mark up and can be read in just about any light conditions, only in very, very bright sun do I find myself looking for a shadier spot. The camera takes nice pictures. The battery life sucks and I make sure I keep it charged, have a charger for my truck and carry a battery bank with me. However I use my phone all the time and imagine I would have a problem with any phone. The Mini USB plug was not working and I took the phone to a mom and pop shop and he replaced it for around ฿400. The screen got wet one day and quit working. I needed a phone so bought an IQX and just for fun tried the phone about 3 days later. The only real complaints I quite often get a short of memory warning and then I have to clear some cache space, and also after a long usage time the touch screen seems to either become overly sensitive or not work at all. Then I have to shut the phone off, usually for only 30 minutes or so and then start it up again and it works fine. For the money it's the best value out there.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 weeks later...

About ten days ago, I bought an IQ 9.2 for 8,990 at the Samsung shop near Power Buy in MBK. I really love it. Its display and speed are very good and you can arrange various screens and launchers on it. My Nexus four only had the standard Google launcher available but now with Android 4.4 you can have two. The IQ 9.2 has many launchers available which can be downloaded for free from Google Play. When I first got the phone, I was using about 10% of the battery every 15 minutes. Now that I have WiFi and NFC turned off and have learned to turn off the screen before I put the phone in my pocket, I find that I use about 8% in an hour. If you want a six-inch screen (which I prefer,) the 9.2 is great. If you want a five-inch screen, the IQ 6.3 is good. It's the successor to the IQ X-3, which is also a nice phone. If you buy an imobile phone, you can get the latest model for much less than the leading four: Samsung, LG, HTC and Apple. I haven't picked up my Nexus 4 since I bought the imobile phone. Besides various shops in MBK, they are also available at IT City in Phantip. BTW, the Samsung shop gave me a free screen protector, a case and a 16 GB SD card with the phone. My advice is to buy from a big store to ensure the reliability of the warranty. Some of the small shops only offer a shop warranty, not the manufacturer's warranty.

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my wife. She had an old Nokia with mono screen for ages as she only really makes calls. Then she used her daughter's Nokia Windows phone (can't remember the model but an early one). She got a Samsung Note 8 for internet so she doesn't need anything particularly fast just a clear screen she can read.

I've got a Nexus 4 and I'm puzzled by your comment. I've always stuck with the Android launcher which is fine although I've just recently downloaded the Nexus launcher. mainly for something to do as the standard Android was fine. Nova does let you have more than the 4 screens which might come in useful sometime and it's fun to play with.

The IQ phones look pretty good for the money. I bought a Galaxy S4 for my stepdaughter but my wife isn't interested in anything like that so the IQ phone look perfect.

About ten days ago, I bought an IQ 9.2 for 8,990 at the Samsung shop near Power Buy in MBK. I really love it. Its display and speed are very good and you can arrange various screens and launchers on it. My Nexus four only had the standard Google launcher available but now with Android 4.4 you can have two. The IQ 9.2 has many launchers available which can be downloaded for free from Google Play. When I first got the phone, I was using about 10% of the battery every 15 minutes. Now that I have WiFi and NFC turned off and have learned to turn off the screen before I put the phone in my pocket, I find that I use about 8% in an hour. If you want a six-inch screen (which I prefer,) the 9.2 is great. If you want a five-inch screen, the IQ 6.3 is good. It's the successor to the IQ X-3, which is also a nice phone. If you buy an imobile phone, you can get the latest model for much less than the leading four: Samsung, LG, HTC and Apple. I haven't picked up my Nexus 4 since I bought the imobile phone. Besides various shops in MBK, they are also available at IT City in Phantip. BTW, the Samsung shop gave me a free screen protector, a case and a 16 GB SD card with the phone. My advice is to buy from a big store to ensure the reliability of the warranty. Some of the small shops only offer a shop warranty, not the manufacturer's warranty.

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my wife. She had an old Nokia with mono screen for ages as she only really makes calls. Then she used her daughter's Nokia Windows phone (can't remember the model but an early one). She got a Samsung Note 8 for internet so she doesn't need anything particularly fast just a clear screen she can read.

I've got a Nexus 4 and I'm puzzled by your comment. I've always stuck with the Android launcher which is fine although I've just recently downloaded the Nexus launcher. mainly for something to do as the standard Android was fine. Nova does let you have more than the 4 screens which might come in useful sometime and it's fun to play with.

The IQ phones look pretty good for the money. I bought a Galaxy S4 for my stepdaughter but my wife isn't interested in anything like that so the IQ phone look perfect.

Sorry i should have said there's 5 screens on the Android launcher.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't buy an imobile phone. I made the mistake of buying the IQX. Didn't even last me a year. They are tacky and low quality, and that's just the phones. They are still selling dual sim phones knowing that they don't work because a 3G sim stops the imobile sim from working. When I tried to talk to a customer service agent at the imobile center in Big C Kanchanaburi, they just weren't interested. They cancelled my sim even though I had nearly 1000B in credit on it. No refund or apology at all. They tried to just fob me off with a call centre number claiming it wasn't their responsibility.

Bad business practice from a typical take the money and run company.

The more I use my IQ 9.1 bought at Tesco for 5000 baht the more I like it. It's amazingly better then my iphone 4. However it certainly doesn't have the feeling of quality or design integrity of the iPhone. But it was only 5000 baht and it's four times faster than the iPhone 4. Maybe the iPhone 5 is much much better.

The more I use my IQ 9.1 bought at Tesco for 5000 baht the more I like it. It's amazingly better then my iphone 4. However it certainly doesn't have the feeling of quality or design integrity of the iPhone. But it was only 5000 baht and it's four times faster than the iPhone 4. Maybe the iPhone 5 is much much better.

How long do you have it ?

Is it the one with big screen ?

Don't buy an imobile phone. I made the mistake of buying the IQX. Didn't even last me a year. They are tacky and low quality, and that's just the phones. They are still selling dual sim phones knowing that they don't work because a 3G sim stops the imobile sim from working. When I tried to talk to a customer service agent at the imobile center in Big C Kanchanaburi, they just weren't interested. They cancelled my sim even though I had nearly 1000B in credit on it. No refund or apology at all. They tried to just fob me off with a call centre number claiming it wasn't their responsibility.

Bad business practice from a typical take the money and run company.

I don't see anything bad with you phone ?

Your problem was about the SIM card but i guess you do not speak Thai to explain things correctly ?

Dual SIM phones from any Chinese brand work perfectly if you know how to use them <3

My 2 cents

I have a 5.5 here is what i dont like

The icons need more effort to push then my samsung. Sometimes i need to press them 2 or 3 times

Screen rotation hangs sometimes

Power button on opposite side that i am use to

Camera is of medium quality

Using the pattern screen lock is jumpy

The gps is not as accurate as my samsung

Sound quality is poor

Now for the price and warranty i would recommend the phone but dont think this model compares to a more expensive samsung

My 2 cents

The icons need more effort to push then my samsung. Sometimes i need to press them 2 or 3 times

Sound quality is poor

Now for the price and warranty i would recommend the phone but dont think this model compares to a more expensive samsung

5.5 is a cheap one.

I think IQX is the one that compares and even beats mobiles that cost at least double price?

They even have iqx OCTO now that should be better than any big brand phone ?

Any Mediatek chipset phone will not be AS good as say a Qualcomm chipset phone. A year or two ago I-mobile had decent phones at lower prices. Now there are more choices. Look around and for similar prices you can find alternatives. But for the price some models are still great starter phone's.

My 2 cents

Sound quality is poor

5.5 is a cheap one.

I think IQX is the one that compares and even beats mobiles that cost at least double price?

They even have iqx OCTO now that should be better than any big brand phone ?

i dont know the spec but i have yet to see anything "budget " that beats my 1 year old note 3 and phones have came a long way since

that and cpus and screens especially

but thueyre ok for the price i suppose

^^^^^ Xiaomi Mi3 ..doesn't beat a note3 but has the same basic spec. And is half the price. It doesn't have 4g but then neither did the original note 3 sold in Thailand.

And actually CPU's haven't come much further than the Snapdragon 800. Screens have but honestly do you really NEED a screen that is more than 400ppi. I doubt you would notice!

Edited by casualbiker

Any Mediatek chipset phone will not be AS good as say a Qualcomm chipset phone. A year or two ago I-mobile had decent phones at lower prices. Now there are more choices. Look around and for similar prices you can find alternatives. But for the price some models are still great starter phone's.

Same old stories as AMD processors are not as good as INTEL processors ?

I was thinking that nowadays people had already understood that it is pure marketing BS ?

Same old stories as AMD processors are not as good as INTEL processors ?

I was thinking that nowadays people had already understood that it is pure marketing BS ?

Try the chipsets I've mentioned and you will see it's not marketing bullcrap. In Mobile phone's they are integrated chipsets including the GPS modules etc.. there are big differences!

• 1 month later...

I bought an iMobile, reluctantly, last year and it was truly a piece of crap. .........

But the new phones look much better. I'm almost tempted to buy one but I'm going to wait and let some friends tell me of their experiences first. I mean months and months and months of experience.

So I guess I'm not actually answering the question. Oooops!

I bought the IQ 6.3 a few months ago.

I agree that in the past iMobile phones were a load of doggy doo. No Thai would be seen dead with one. I'm not Thai so I foolishly bought 2 --- both with faults (I think mechanical rather than electronic).

So, recently I was recommended the 6.3 by the bar Thai mobile phone guru.

I risked it ------- I'm MORE than satisfied with it!

One initial problem was that the pictures from the 18Mp camera were soft focus and blue biased -- I took it back and the child behind the counter peeled off the blue cellophane protection film from the lens! Boy, did I feel stupid.

The bar guru said that the price was 7,500 Baht but if I looked around at MBK I should find it for 7,000. The first shop I went to in MBK asked 6.500 -- I was so taken aback I didn't think of haggling.

iMobile have become so respectable that they have their very smart own shop/service centre in MBK (same level as Skytrain and right at one end).

I should point out that the 6.3 is a very different beast from the inferior 6 or the X.

I believe that the 6.6A is simply operating on different frequencies.

It is dual SIM. I have one of the old 12Call and a new 3G one.

Well that was a long winded way to say that I'm a very happy bunny with my IQ 6.3.

PS Another poster pointed out disparagingly that iMobile is made in China --- well, so is the iPhone!tongue.png

• 1 year later...

Please, Please, Please....do NOT buy an i-mobile phone!!!!

i am a very clumsy Brit, dont know how i did it but i have broken my i-mobile front screen twice now, each time it cost 2,000B to repair compared with 800B for a Samsung, during Songkran a couple of weeks ago i accidentally got it only very slightly wet as it was actually covered up, not good enough i know, as I said, it got slightly wet, took it into i-mobile service centre in Chonburi inside Tesco and they kept it for 4 days, never bothered ringing my wife to advise how much it would cost to repair, went down personally again and they wanted 5,000B

one of the problems I am told is that no normal mobile phone repairer can repair [ or dont want to repair ] i-mobile phones so they can charge what they like

The phones are...ok-ish for a cheap phone but certainly NOT happy with their after sales service!!!

i am a very clumsy Brit, dont know how i did it but i have broken my i-mobile front screen twice now, each time it cost 2,000B to repair compared with 800B for a Samsung, during Songkran a couple of weeks ago i accidentally got it only very slightly wet as it was actually covered up, not good enough i know, as I said, it got slightly wet, took it into i-mobile service centre in Chonburi inside Tesco and they kept it for 4 days, never bothered ringing my wife to advise how much it would cost to repair, went down personally again and they wanted 5,000B

one of the problems I am told is that no normal mobile phone repairer can repair [ or dont want to repair ] i-mobile phones so they can charge what they like

The phones are...ok-ish for a cheap phone but certainly NOT happy with their after sales service!!!

Yes yes yes, why not.

If/when something goes wrong with my IQ II, I just bin it which was one of the ideas buying one in the first place when paying just over 4000 baht for one.

When you compare front screen prices you should mention the models you are comparing with, I doubt a screen for the new S7 cost 800 bath, maybe 8000, don't know.

Just because you had a bad experience one place doesn't necessarily means that service is bad everywhere. I read about a Toyota car owner that had a very bad experience when he had a problem with his car, so can happen if you are a Samsung phone owner too.

After market service here is a hit or miss and more often the later.

The biggest problem with the i-Mobile phones is that it is almost impossible for find a case for them

I have found only one company that has them that will provide some protection to the screen

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/i-mobile-IQ-X3-Case-2016-New-Item-Luxury-Flip-PU-Soft-Silicon-Phone-Cases-for/32606775198.html

or

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PU-leather-case-for-i-mobile-iq-x3-case-cover/1972161707.html