pizza in chaing mai - help!

sam sen

i've been in chiang mai for two days and tried a different restaurant for every meal, thai and foreign food, and i've yet to have a meal i'm happy with. soggy and flavourless describe most of the offerings... oh yes and then there was the pasta with sauce and veg from a can!

can anyone recommend a good restaurant in the old city area, inpartucular i really fancy a pizza but any decent restaurant will do...

thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Girasol on the Ratchadamnoenraod. Very nice Italian IMHO. :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Girasole/260929133929172

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d1080621-Reviews-Girasole_by_La_Gondola-Chiang_Mai.html
Scroll down and you find a link to the restaurant UG mentioned,and links to two other good Italian restaurants.

Buon appetito. :)

• Like 1

I know it's not in the area that you mention--but, I can't say enough good things about 'Francesca's' on Canal Road [Thanon Klongchonpratan] about 500 metres after Mae Hia market and on same side of the road. [Opposite Imperial Moo Bahn]--the owner/chef, Luca, certainly knows how to cook food.

• Like 1

I don't think he has pizza, but Chez Marco on Loi Kroh, not far from the Old City, has fantastic Italian food, as does Beccofino's in the Nimmanheiman area, on the other side of town. Actually, I don't really consider pizza to be Italian food -- isn't that more of an American invention, kind of like chicken tikkia masala isn't really Indian food, but is actually something dreamed up in the U.K.

Edited by NancyL

La Fontana in my opinion is the best pizza in Chiang mai.

La Fontana used to be owned by the guy who owns Da Stephanos and Girasol. The pizzas at all 3 places are very similar. I prefer The Duke's pizza, but it is not close to the old city area.

• Like 1

Actually, I don't really consider pizza to be Italian food -- isn't that more of an American invention, kind of like chicken tikkia masala isn't really Indian food, but is actually something dreamed up in the U.K.

Uh oh. We are in trouble now! biggrin.png

I've never been to Italy, but I've been told the pizza in Italy doesn't taste at all like the pizza in the U.S. That may be what the OP is looking for and he's going to be disappointed here, although Duke's is close to American-style pizza.

As for the comment that restaurants in and near the Old City don't strive for repeat customers -- that's nonsense. Girasole, Da Staphanos, Chez Marco all have loyal followings among local residents.

I don't think he has pizza, but Chez Marco on Loi Kroh, not far from the Old City, has fantastic Italian food, as does Beccofino's in the Nimmanheiman area, on the other side of town. Actually, I don't really consider pizza to be Italian food -- isn't that more of an American invention, kind of like chicken tikkia masala isn't really Indian food, but is actually something dreamed up in the U.K.

Sorry cannot resist.... :lol:

• Like 1

I've never been to Italy, but I've been told the pizza in Italy doesn't taste at all like the pizza in the U.S. That may be what the OP is looking for and he's going to be disappointed here, although Duke's is close to American-style pizza.

I have visited Italy many times, even been to the city of Pizza. Thought I would try a pizza while I was there, Sorely disappointed. I guess I prefer those American style deep dish pizzas ... tongue.png

• Like 2

As for the comment that restaurants in and near the Old City don't strive for repeat customers -- that's nonsense. Girasole, Da Staphanos, Chez Marco all have loyal followings among local residents.

My Thai son and his Thai wife love Chez Marco, we are regulars.

Hi , I have only been in Chiang Mai a few days , I have been to a restaurant in the Sunday walking street road called the old city inn , its new I think opposite the U hotel ( I know that because I stay there ) , the food at this place is very good , I had Thai and my wife had Pizza on the first night , we have been every night and all very good and they have very big tbone steak , can someone tell me where I can get good food in pi ?

I have visited Italy many times, even been to the city of Pizza. Thought I would try a pizza while I was there, Sorely disappointed. I guess I prefer those American style deep dish pizzas ... xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png alt=tongue.png width=20 height=20>

Please there are italians here on TV, don't let us speak about your delicious and world famous coulinary delicatessen...laugh.png

• Like 1

I have visited Italy many times, even been to the city of Pizza. Thought I would try a pizza while I was there, Sorely disappointed. I guess I prefer those American style deep dish pizzas ... tongue.png

For those of you who have never been to Italy, but would like to know what real authentic Italian pizza tastes like, I can save you a trip. This is how to do it.

- 1st step: take delivery pizza in a box.

- 2nd step: vigorously shake box up and down, so that approximately 25% of the sauce and cheese adheres to the inside of the lid.

3rd step: rip off the lid and flip over 180 deg, so sauce and cheese is now facing up.

4th step: take the lid to an open burner on a gas stovetop, and excessively char and blacken the cardboard lid.

Last step: sit down and eat your authentic tasting Italian pizza.

• Like 2

We went to the Dukes for pizza tonight. In 7 years I have not been disappointed with their pizza yet. The Thais in my family will not eat pizza anywhere else but the Dukes.

Having said that I often go to a number of the Italian restaurants here in C.M. (in fact my favorites have all been mentioned already in this thread.) smile.png and I really enjoy the pasta dishes, deserts, and other Italian specialties. But for whatever reason, I have not found any of those fine establishments who can top the pizza at Dukes. Girasole makes a fine, authentic Italian crust but the toppings including the cheese are so light...

I like Street Pizza off Tha Phae Rd and By Hand Pizza off Moon Muang, esp the latter. Both use rustic, wood-fired ovens.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Street-Pizza/173072176066467

https://www.facebook.com/byhandcafe?ref=hl

You recommended the best Italian style pizza (I think that the chef was actually Greek) that I've ever had in Thailand. It was some place that started with an "A" near the metal bridge in Pai. I take your pizza recommendations very seriously. wai.gif

For those of you who have never been to Italy, but would like to know what real authentic Italian pizza tastes like, I can save you a trip. This is how to do it.

- 1st step: take delivery pizza in a box.

- 2nd step: vigorously shake box up and down, so that approximately 25% of the sauce and cheese adheres to the inside of the lid.

3rd step: rip off the lid and flip over 180 deg, so sauce and cheese is now facing up.

4th step: take the lid to an open burner on a gas stovetop, and excessively char and blacken the cardboard lid.

Last step: sit down and eat your authentic tasting Italian pizza.

The origin of the Pizza come from Italy, in America the change it follow American's taste. Now, the matter is simply, are 2 different style, some people prefer the original ( that truly in Chiangmai nobody make ), and others prefer the American's style. However, talk about the Italian, even in Italy, every restaurant has his personal style, so, is very hard to say which is better.....just eat what you like.

• Like 1

I like Street Pizza off Tha Phae Rd and By Hand Pizza off Moon Muang, esp the latter. Both use rustic, wood-fired ovens.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Street-Pizza/173072176066467

https://www.facebook.com/byhandcafe?ref=hl

You recommended the best Italian style pizza (I think that the chef was actually Greek) that I've ever had in Thailand. It was some place that started with an "A" near the metal bridge in Pai. I take your pizza recommendations very seriously. wai.gif

That was Amido's Pizza Garden. He was Algerian but learned his craft in France. He died a a year or two ago but his Shan staff carry the name on. Amido trained them well, and I think the pizza is pretty much the same as it was when he was still around.

Give Street and By Hand a try. Actually they each kind of remind me of Amido's, good pizza made in very simple surroundings.