DLT: Over 10,000 complaints against Thai cab drivers received in past 5 months

webfact

DLT: Over 10,000 complaints against cab drivers received in past 5 months

BANGKOK, 24 Mar 2014, (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has disclosed that the number of complaints over taxi drivers' behavior made via the department’s 1584 hotline has exceeded 10,000 during the period of October 2013 - last month.

According to Mr. Atchasatike Rattana Dilok Na Phuket, DLT’s Director General, over 4,000 of the complaints were for refusing passengers, nearly 1,200 were for reckless driving, 1,100 for driver's failure to deliver passengers to agreed destinations, and around 900 for not using fare meters.

Out of that number, 9,900 cab drivers have been fined 1,000 baht each, while the rest of the cases are still under investigation.

Meanwhile, 3,744 passengers filed complaints against public transportation during the same period. Most of the complaints were for drivers' failure to stop at bus stops, followed by using vulgar language, and collecting unfair fare rates. Most of the rule violators have also been slapped with a 1,000 baht fine.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-24 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complaints of Bangkok taxis rising

170966-imagejpeg-251052-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Land Transport said it now received over 10,000 complains of Bangkok taxi drivers on its Hotline 1584 in the past five months from October last year to end of February this year.

The department’s director-general Mr Atchasatike Rattanadilok na Phuket, said of the total complaints, more than 4,000 involved drivers turning down passengers, while about 1,200 were reckless driving, 1,100 for driver’s failure to deliver passengers to agreed destinations, and around 900 for not using fare meters.

He said out of that number, 9,900 taxi drivers have been fined 1,000 baht each, while the rest of the cases are still under investigation.

Meanwhile, 3,744 passengers also filed complaints against public transportation during the same period.

Most of the complaints were for drivers’ failure to stop at bus stops, followed by using impolite language, and collecting unfair fare rates.

He said all the rule violators were fined 1,000 baht each.

Last year the Department of Land Transport registered more than 20,000 complaints against taxi drivers but it’s often the owners, rather than the offending drivers, who end up paying the fines.

Most complaints focus on drivers who point-blank refuse to take passengers to their destination.

It received 23,092 calls to its Hotline 1584 number. They include complaints about drivers who turn down passengers (11,216), followed by refusing to turn on meters (3,802), impolite service (3,002), going to the wrong destination (2,361) and reckless driving (1,436).

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/complaints-bangkok-taxis-rising/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-24

I know people will disagree with this, but despite what the rules may or not may say about taxi drivers having to take passengers, I can sympathize with them on choosing not to take some persons to where they want to go.

Many taxis have to be returned to the depot by specific times of the day for another driver to take over. If for example a cabby had to return his car at 4 pm on a Friday to its depot around Rama 4, and he was working Sukhumvit area at around 2pm, so 2 hours to play with. Some person stops him and asks him to take them to KSR or Pinklao, there is a very distinct possibility given the traffic on a Friday evening, that he would be unable to get there and back in 2 hours, and therefore does not want to go. What should he do? give up stopping for people and waste 2 hours of fare time on the of chance that someone asks him to take them miles away? My personal opinion is that taxis should have the right to pick and choose who they take, and where they take them, especially if they have a genuine reason that does not allow them to take them.

In 6 years or so, i could count the number of minor issues i have had with taxis on one hand.

I have a hard time believing the 3 or 4 taxis that denied myself and a friend in a row to go somewhere (on multiple occasions) that they were on their way to the depot mid-day. It's seems to me that it's more the selfishness of wanting X amount of money in the least amount of driving time. It's not a huge deal but it is illegal nonetheless.

• Like 1

The fine is soo low that the taxi drivers take the risk.

10,000 complaints in 5 month is 2000 a month or 66 a day... Fines should be doubled to 2,000 or even up to 5,000. Then they would behave much better.

Do they all effectively pay their fine?

And then there should be a system to identify repeat offenders. And an increasing fine up to jail for the real die hards.

Personally I have had very few problems with taxis and 98% of my trips have been fine.

• Like 1

tried to avoid to take my car to go to town , so I used taxis .... I wont talk about the smell of food , the loud isaan music and some other strange noises ..... but many time Taxi refused to bring me because either it was not long enough , or they wanted to talk about fare better than using the meter , some said Not my direction ..... So after that , I took back my car .... Let say some can be really nice ..but a lot are really creepy.

• Like 1

If you expect a world class taxi service, expect a world class price!

That!

Once all the moaning is done it should be kept in mind that taxis are dirt cheap in Thailand. Heck, they are more expensive here in Cambodia.

I'm waiting for the "I've lived in Bangkok for 30 years, ridden in thousands of taxis- and never had a problem" clap2.gif

OK. Twice I have refused to carry on, the no meter rubbish. Just got out!

Speaking a little Thai helps.

Best not to get a taxi in a tourist area of Bangkok, but have done for thirty years!

Also pls remember guys. Du4ing traffic time taxis actually lose money by sitting in traffic. Of course they wont want to take people to congested places. This is not entirely their fault. The gov't needs to fix the taxi fee problem. And ahyone who disagrees with this shouldnt waste their breath commenting coz they dont have any idea what they r talking about.

The biggest complaints should be about the taxis that smell because the cabbies sleep in their cars or the fact that their trunks are mostly full because of the natural gas tanks and their own personal items. Sucks when going to the airport with your suitcase on your lap.

• Like 1

The worst I ever got taken was by a London cabbie. Does that mean England is a developing and lawless

I don't believe this, London cabbies are the best in the world. Perhaps he picked up attitude.

Why would I lie and why would he pick up attitude? This was 20 years ago, taking a cab from the airport to the city.

Seems like a lot a people can get scammed: http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=99124&c=setreg&region=2

• Like 1