DLT: Over 10,000 complaints against Thai cab drivers received in past 5 months

webfact

I really hav'nt had much trouble at all the usual not wanting to take you somewhere, but if you sent a complaint everytime and the drivers were fined then they might change their behaviour

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people will disagree with this, but despite what the rules may or not may say about taxi drivers having to take passengers, I can sympathize with them on choosing not to take some persons to where they want to go.

Many taxis have to be returned to the depot by specific times of the day for another driver to take over. If for example a cabby had to return his car at 4 pm on a Friday to its depot around Rama 4, and he was working Sukhumvit area at around 2pm, so 2 hours to play with. Some person stops him and asks him to take them to KSR or Pinklao, there is a very distinct possibility given the traffic on a Friday evening, that he would be unable to get there and back in 2 hours, and therefore does not want to go. What should he do? give up stopping for people and waste 2 hours of fare time on the of chance that someone asks him to take them miles away? My personal opinion is that taxis should have the right to pick and choose who they take, and where they take them, especially if they have a genuine reason that does not allow them to take them.

In 6 years or so, i could count the number of minor issues i have had with taxis on one hand.

Completely and totally disagree with that logic. If you are a cab on duty, then it is necessary for you to take a customer wherever he requests...period. If you do not, the fine should be no less than 5,000bht.

Shift changes, lunchtime, temple time, piss time have nothing to do with doing your job. This is what you bought into wanting to be cabbie. No excuses for this behavior to the paying public.

Now that said, it is the city who grants licenses to these cab companies to require these companies to operate their business in accordance to the city's requirements. IT IS THE CAB COMPANY'S PROBLEM HOW THEY MANAGE THEIR DRIVERS SO THESE ISSUES DO NOT HAPPEN. Right now they are pulling the cart before the horse in typical Thai logic. Change the company management policy to fit the requirements of the taxi contracts!

Finally every complaint that is fines, should be levied against the driver AND the taxi company. Each should pay which will pressure the taxi company to change their operations.

• Like 1

It is annoying when a taxi refuses to take you somewhere, but is it really worth calling the police about? First, its their loss, they're the ones without a customer. And second, there are loads of other taxis! Even in Asok at 2am, I might get a couple of taxis refuse to take me home, or try to scam me, but by the third or fourth, I always find a honest taxi driver.

Yeah, and do this twice a day every day for a few years and see what you think then ........

Carry change for five hundred baht. (That's what 7/11's and small bottles of water are for. . . . . . Buy two.)

Learn the map of Bangkok. (Start with the BTS stations and main roads and if once you're moving in the car he says "traffic jam" . . . . . . . call his bluff.)

Learn enough Thai to direct the taxi driver. Most are glad for a chat. (If he seeks revenge for his disappointment in your NOT being easy meat by asking you in a roundabout way if you learned your Thai from a dark-skinned hooker smile and ask him about HIMself and HIS background.) (and, BTW, Never take one of those stationary "taxi? taxi ?taxi? guys that call out when you are wandering down Silom at 3pm.)

If you DO get caught in a traffic jam offer him one of your bottles of water.

When paying, if he hasn't been a jerk, tip decently or at least round up. (Thais rarely do. In fact some of them round DOWN. )

After you get out of the taxi, convert the fare you just paid into your home currency. It's about 3 bucks, right ?

If that's too much of a shock to your daily finances learn the busses or go home.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

• Like 1

I know people will disagree with this, but despite what the rules may or not may say about taxi drivers having to take passengers, I can sympathize with them on choosing not to take some persons to where they want to go.

Many taxis have to be returned to the depot by specific times of the day for another driver to take over. If for example a cabby had to return his car at 4 pm on a Friday to its depot around Rama 4, and he was working Sukhumvit area at around 2pm, so 2 hours to play with. Some person stops him and asks him to take them to KSR or Pinklao, there is a very distinct possibility given the traffic on a Friday evening, that he would be unable to get there and back in 2 hours, and therefore does not want to go. What should he do? give up stopping for people and waste 2 hours of fare time on the of chance that someone asks him to take them miles away? My personal opinion is that taxis should have the right to pick and choose who they take, and where they take them, especially if they have a genuine reason that does not allow them to take them.

In 6 years or so, i could count the number of minor issues i have had with taxis on one hand.

Completely and totally disagree with that logic. If you are a cab on duty, then it is necessary for you to take a customer wherever he requests...period. If you do not, the fine should be no less than 5,000bht.

Shift changes, lunchtime, temple time, piss time have nothing to do with doing your job. This is what you bought into wanting to be cabbie. No excuses for this behavior to the paying public.

Now that said, it is the city who grants licenses to these cab companies to require these companies to operate their business in accordance to the city's requirements. IT IS THE CAB COMPANY'S PROBLEM HOW THEY MANAGE THEIR DRIVERS SO THESE ISSUES DO NOT HAPPEN. Right now they are pulling the cart before the horse in typical Thai logic. Change the company management policy to fit the requirements of the taxi contracts!

Finally every complaint that is fines, should be levied against the driver AND the taxi company. Each should pay which will pressure the taxi company to change their operations.

jackh ? Are you currently a London cabby dreaming about going to Bangkok one day ?

Just askin'

If you're really, really stuck and have to go to some stationary taxis, always go to the second in the queue. We know they won't be interested in metered. You ask the price, say no, say what you're willing to pay, move to the next and so on. Could be someone will accept. More to the point, the drivers are likely to find someone who'll accept.

Last time I went out to Don Muang, it worked that way. The "smuck" who took the fare, was a mild-mannered young woman, who drove sensibly all the way, engaged in only light conversation about where I'm from and certainly didn't ask me for an abridged history of my sexual conquests in Thailand. The joke is that I would have paid her more than the men were quoting in the first place!

We can't legitimately expect taxi drivers to be great social anthropologists (though many think they are). Sad, though, when so many just don't begin to get it about other cultures and signals to place others within those cultures.

• Like 1

It is annoying when a taxi refuses to take you somewhere, but is it really worth calling the police about? First, its their loss, they're the ones without a customer. And second, there are loads of other taxis! Even in Asok at 2am, I might get a couple of taxis refuse to take me home, or try to scam me, but by the third or fourth, I always find a honest taxi driver.

Yeah, and do this twice a day every day for a few years and see what you think then ........

Carry change for five hundred baht. (That's what 7/11's and small bottles of water are for. . . . . . Buy two.)

Learn the map of Bangkok. (Start with the BTS stations and main roads and if once you're moving in the car he says "traffic jam" . . . . . . . call his bluff.)

Learn enough Thai to direct the taxi driver. Most are glad for a chat. (If he seeks revenge for his disappointment in your NOT being easy meat by asking you in a roundabout way if you learned your Thai from a dark-skinned hooker smile and ask him about HIMself and HIS background.) (and, BTW, Never take one of those stationary "taxi? taxi ?taxi? guys that call out when you are wandering down Silom at 3pm.)

When paying, if he hasn't been a jerk, tip decently or at least round up. (Thais rarely do. In fact some of them round DOWN. )

After you get out of the taxi, convert the fare you just paid into your home currency. It's about 3 bucks, right ?

If that's too much of a shock to your daily finances learn the busses or go home.

Hey Donnie, you have moved me enough to make comment. Good post. I live in the BKK suburbs, single, no kids and no need for a car. Taxis in abundance 24/7. So I catch cabs almost everyday of my life, albeit I don't get out and about in the downtown tourist areas very much at all. Mainly local, But. Very, very few complaints from me at all. if any.

Your post is spot on.

(I also educated myself a little on English Soccer. An easy conversation you can have with many Thai Cabbies - especially when you are stuck in traffic and stuck for something to say, or to avoid getting political).

• Like 2

Living on the outskirts of Bangkok I have often been refused and in some cases from a string of taxis. I am totally fed-up with them. They pretend not to know the place or just say No!. I now very rarely go into the city just because it is a pain to get back or I have to leave early so as to get public transport and that takes ages or I have to stand all the way. They are shameless and are totally incompetent. They don't know their routes unless it is on Sukhumvit. They are uneducated and robbers. I know from experience and from reports when they have robbed passengers. They need more regulation and knowledge tests of locations.

Living on the outskirts of Bangkok I have often been refused and in some cases from a string of taxis. I am totally fed-up with them. They pretend not to know the place or just say No!. I now very rarely go into the city just because it is a pain to get back or I have to leave early so as to get public transport and that takes ages or I have to stand all the way. They are shameless and are totally incompetent. They don't know their routes unless it is on Sukhumvit. They are uneducated and robbers. I know from experience and from reports when they have robbed passengers. They need more regulation and knowledge tests of locations.

Hey man.

Lighten up, you're not paying downtown Bangkok rents.

You chose to "save money" on rent or a roof by living in the 'burbs. Don't turn around and blame that on some poor taxi driver who'd give his left testACKle to live 10%'as well as you live.

LEARN the BUS ROUTE TO your suburban palazzo.

OR

If it's a late night of brothel creeping that's brought you into the heart of the city, scout out a 500 baht flop and stay there.

OR

Learn the name of the biggest landmark, temple, shopping mall or intersection close to your place and get him to take you there.

Get creative ;-$

Edited by Donnie Brasco
  • Like 1

the pooint is, a lot of them do NOT deserve the LICENSE required for dealing with the public.

junkies shouldnt be taxiing people around

rapists shouldnt be given licences (to teach OR to drive taxis)

sleep deprived/caffeine addicted dangerous drivers should have their licenses revoked.

the problem is fair enforcement of laws already in place.

instead of 200bt(so called 1000bt) slap on the wrist fines for abusive taxi drivers.

just like the lunatics who have taken over the asylum here, a thorough auditing needs to be done!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What can be said to the taxi drivers that refuse to take you? Nothing, I suppose. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

My best guess would be just to take a photo of their ID# in the back and report them.

If you are a falang they not refuse to take you, they just love to take a falang who don't know the fare and ripp you off by not open the meter and charge you 3-4 times the normal fare bah.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What can be said to the taxi drivers that refuse to take you? Nothing, I suppose. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

My best guess would be just to take a photo of their ID# in the back and report them.

If you are a falang they not refuse to take you, they just love to take a falang who don't know the fare and ripp you off by not open the meter and charge you 3-4 times the normal fare bah.gif

Hmm... Ignorance....

Now where have i witnessed that before??

Keep dreaming.... soon you will learn & then ignore some more.

You are doing it to yourself....

I'm waiting for the "I've lived in Bangkok for 30 years, ridden in thousands of taxis- and never had a problem" clap2.gif

To the contrary, I visited Bangkok for 2.5 days last weekend, had to take a taxi twice, and had problems both times with jerks who call themselves drivers. One was insolent and the other tried charging 500B for a 250B (by meter) ride from the airport. I took a photo of the cab yellow registration label on the back door of the extortionist. Where do I report him (preferably online) where I can send the photo?

Edited by Fookhaht

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok too. Much better lifestyle than inside Bangkok. I own a car though - even for driving inside Bangkok. Why don't you do the same? Buy a car, or a motorcycle. Much easier to get around and no need to mess around with taxis. Wherever I go, I drive, even as a tourist visiting other countries I always rent a vehicle and drive myself, assuming it's an option where I'm heading. In the rare cases it isn't (Myanmar for example where self-drive car rental does not yet exist), I usually team up with a driver who owns a vehicle that can take me where I want to go throughout my stay, rather than getting individual rides.

If everyone in Bangkok who encountered a taxi refuisng a fare actually called in .. the number would be over 10 000 per day ... minimum

Absolutely agree! My Thai family and I almost always get refused approx. 3-4 times before finding a taxi that's willing to take us home. We have learned to just expect it which is sad.

Bangkok is bad count how many times you get refused on soi 4 sukumvit, i have lived here 22 years many places , you want to take a taxi in Koh Samui , they have no meters and they really are a law unto themselves. more than double the price , they are starting to use Toyota Fortuners in Samui as taxis but even the small cars want 700 baht to go to airport same distance in bangkok would be 180 baht i have clocked it myself.

Exactly, that is why I do not consider it a big issue. End of the day, they are poor bastards.

Well what do u expect from a developing and lawless country! First world treatment?

The worst I ever got taken was by a London cabbie. Does that mean England is a developing and lawless country?

would have to agree.....got taken by a London Cabbie also.

Indeed.

Report him to the Queen of England or to Rudolph Giuliani or Abe Foxman or Wolf Blitzer, yeah, that's it, Wolf Blitzer.

Just where are you posting from, jackh ?

bah.gif Pattaya 'taxi meter' taxis have meters but won't use them. Ask and they get aggressive. I have found that almost every hotel in Pattaya has a 'boy' with a private car who will gladly take you places at a fraction of the cost.w00t.gif

Is there a complaint form online?

As already sated, try the IOS app called Taxi Reporter

Stop pushing this APP to a mostly English-speaking/reading audience, would you?

It's a mostly Thai-language application which requires you to divulge your list of Facebook contacts/friends as well as, presumably sending spam to them. If you have an ounce of personal ethics you won't allow your friends to be spammed just to receive a free service you can't read half of it anyway. bah.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

Oh yeah, and don't get me started about the taxi drivers not having change! Nothing beats that sinking feeling of being in a taxi and realizing you only have 1000 baht bills.

Though I did give a taxi driver a 1000 baht bill the other day, and he actually had change. It was the first time in my life that we didn't have to go to a 7-Eleven for change.

Ah, the no change issue. Does my goat in.

A bit of Karma a few months back though. My fare came to about 58 baht, so I said make it about 70 and handed him a 100. He just pulled this ugly arrogant face, "mai mii" while looking gleefully at my 100 baht. So I told him, wait a moment, while I looked for the right change, which annoyed him a little I bet.

So he reluctantly turns on the light, I find no change, but what I do find is a 1000 baht note lying by my shoe dropped by an existing customer I guess. So in a swift move, I hand him the 100 baht and pick up the 1000 and pocket it with my other hand. He leaves thinking "lol that farang is a sucker"; and I leave thinking, "Karma, mate."

Oh yeah, and don't get me started about the taxi drivers not having change! Nothing beats that sinking feeling of being in a taxi and realizing you only have 1000 baht bills.

Though I did give a taxi driver a 1000 baht bill the other day, and he actually had change. It was the first time in my life that we didn't have to go to a 7-Eleven for change.

Ah, the no change issue. Does my goat in.

A bit of Karma a few months back though. My fare came to about 58 baht, so I said make it about 70 and handed him a 100. He just pulled this ugly arrogant face, "mai mii" while looking gleefully at my 100 baht. So I told him, wait a moment, while I looked for the right change, which annoyed him a little I bet.

So he reluctantly turns on the light, I find no change, but what I do find is a 1000 baht note lying by my shoe dropped by an existing customer I guess. So in a swift move, I hand him the 100 baht and pick up the 1000 and pocket it with my other hand. He leaves thinking "lol that farang is a sucker"; and I leave thinking, "Karma, mate."

Just leave the back door open if they refuse the request to take you and move on, and or only half close it. They hate having to get out and close it themselves...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yep, done that many times. Once in NY though, the guy didn't notice and drove off with the open door 555

-*I typed this myself*-

Why are people asking taxi drivers to take them somewhere? Get in the back and tell them the destination. Traffic? No traffic. You don't know the way? I'll tell you. You were going to pratu nam? Well why didn't you turn the 'available' light off? Tough!

-*I typed this myself*-

Rather hard to do your chat up and bribe the driver for basic manners bit, when they just instantly refuse to go where you want to and just drive off! or refuse to turn the meter on when you get in, or do any of the other bad things that people mention on these threads.... Before you start telling people to go home, realize that your experiences do not necessarily include those of others, and your flippant condescending attitude helps nobody...

Hey Donnie, you have moved me enough to make comment. Good post. I live in the BKK suburbs, single, no kids and no need for a car. Taxis in abundance 24/7. So I catch cabs almost everyday of my life, albeit I don't get out and about in the downtown tourist areas very much at all. Mainly local, But. Very, very few complaints from me at all. if any.

Your post is spot on.

(I also educated myself a little on English Soccer. An easy conversation you can have with many Thai Cabbies - especially when you are stuck in traffic and stuck for something to say, or to avoid getting political).

As stated already above, just because your experiences are better than others (and as you say more limited to outside BKK) doesn't mean that other's bad experiences are untrue, and do not deserve to be discussed and improved...