Nai Yang Beach will be the next Patong Beach

simon43

In all honesty, looking at the amount of building work that's taking place at Nai Yang, in 10 years from now, I can easily see it replacing Patong Beach as the location of choice.

Why?

- It has a long, safe and relatively clean beach

- Local (Thai) businesses can happily ignore building legislation and build what they want, where they want

- It's close to the airport, why bother with a 1000 baht, 1 hour taxi ride to Patong when the taxi mafia can sting you for a 500 baht, 5 minute journey to Nai Yang Beach.

etc etc.

My businesses are in the airport locality, but I cannot see any positives for me if the building work continues, (more competing businesses, dirty tricks against competitors etc).

What's your view? Which beach in Phuket will be the next Patong Beach??

Simon

Nai Yang is quite small place and I think it will keep like that for an good while.

I'd give my vote to Cherng Talay/Surin/Laguna area. Laguna and Surin brings in customers who have more than average income and Cherng Talay turns slowly into northern shopping area.

I don't think anywhere will replace the sleazy element of Patong. I am sure that will remain. Karon, Kata and Kamala are within easy distance of Patong and that is the attraction for some: they don't want to stay in the place but like to be in easy reach of Patong for a night out or two.

Nai Yang could well become the location of choice for the tourist that doesn't want Patong style nightlife but wants a good choice of bars restaurants and the usual tourist facilities. Could be good for business, Simon, but could also become a less attractive place to live.

• Like 1

Nai Yang is quite small place and I think it will keep like that for an good while.

I'd give my vote to Cherng Talay/Surin/Laguna area. Laguna and Surin brings in customers who have more than average income and Cherng Talay turns slowly into northern shopping area.

These areas will become the premium tourist destination on the island but I don't think the 2nd Patong. If/when the new central festival opens next to Boat Avenue it will really boost the area

Surin, Cherng Thalay and most of Bangtao are the only areas on the island with little to no "girlie bars" so Patong 2 would be a quite a way off.

A similar thing happened in Pattaya, a couple of years ago, in regards to some of the nightlife there.

Higher rents, which gets passed onto the customers, on the main stip, Walking Street, saw some owners move their operation to the LK Metro area.

On my last visit few visits to Pattaya, this area had become the place to go to for nightlife. Many GoGo bars, regular bars, restarants and accommodation are prospering in that area now, probably due to the prices being more reasonable for the customers.

A similar thing could happen here, as the Bangla Road Thai landlords push the market too far, until businesses there become unviable. I would suggest many of them are unviable at the time of purchase. :)

Bangla Road would probably be the most expensive tourist nightlife in Thailand, Bangkok aside.

I'm sure a degree of prostitution will always remain in Patong, but the majority of it might change location. smile.png

Let's not forget that the sex trade, ping pong shows, ladyboys etc - are a tourist attraction in their own right, often attracting tourists who want to see it, rather than partake in it.

It maybe the case that some tourists will go to wherever these attractions are, just to see it, and that may not be Bangla Road, in the future.

Edited by NamKangMan

A similar thing happened in Pattaya, a couple of years ago, in regards to some of the nightlife there.

Higher rents, which gets passed onto the customers, on the main stip, Walking Street, saw some owners move their operation to the LK Metro area.

On my last visit few visits to Pattaya, this area had become the place to go to for nightlife. Many GoGo bars, regular bars, restarants and accommodation are prospering in that area now, probably due to the prices being more reasonable for the customers.

A similar thing could happen here, as the Bangla Road Thai landlords push the market too far, until businesses there become unviable. I would suggest many of them are unviable at the time of purchase. smile.png

Bangla Road would probably be the most expensive tourist nightlife in Thailand, Bangkok aside.

I'm sure a degree of prostitution will always remain in Patong, but the majority of it might change location. smile.png

Let's not forget that the sex trade, ping pong shows, ladyboys etc - are a tourist attraction in their own right, often attracting tourists who want to see it, rather than partake in it.

It maybe the case that some tourists will go to wherever these attractions are, just to see it, and that may not be Bangla Road, in the future.

Agreed about LK metro - my friend had a bar/guest house there until 1 year ago. She sold up, made a killing and now sabai sabai!

The same will happen with Patong....... then it will all start again, 10/15 year cycle maybe?

A similar thing could happen here, as the Bangla Road Thai landlords push the market too far, until businesses there become unviable. I would suggest many of them are unviable at the time of purchase. smile.png

Agreed about LK metro - my friend had a bar/guest house there until 1 year ago. She sold up, made a killing and now sabai sabai!

The same will happen with Patong....... then it will all start again, 10/15 year cycle maybe?

The equivilent area for LK Metro - Pattaya, but for Patong, would probably be the Soi Banzaan / Nanai Road area, but it could easily start on another beach on Phuket.

The question, why would bar owners "start again" when they can just go to another tourist destination in Thailand that is already established and has reasonable rents, has spending western tourists - many of them taken off Phuket, and has less corruption????

It's possible the nightlife could relocate away from Bangla Road, but I think it more likely the bar owners would simply relocate themselves, off Phuket.

Do tell more about the new Central Festival next to Boat Avenue in CherngTalay. Bill Barnett is being rather tight lipped on the matter.

It means he doesn't know.

I heard it will also be there.

Also, land clearing at the Chalong site has begun.

These areas will become the premium tourist destination on the island but I don't think the 2nd Patong. If/when the new central festival opens next to Boat Avenue it will really boost the area

Surin, Cherng Thalay and most of Bangtao are the only areas on the island with little to no "girlie bars" so Patong 2 would be a quite a way off.

My reasoning is to follow the party money.

If and when the area becomes an vibrant higher end tourist destination, after an while there will more party venues. Then it's just an matter of time when there will be larger red lights areas. It will take time, but maybe 10 years is enough for form a new party town on the island.

There are already some bar/massage streets, one somewhere around here. https://www.google.com/maps/@7.9840518,98.2860956

I would not wish the dubious honor of superceeding Patong as the location of choice on Nai Yang.

My view - Phuket has had it's day. When the new wave of Russian and Chinese tire of the island's charms, who will take their place. No doubt there will still be a solid tourist trade and many long stay ex-pats, but the corruption has taken it's toll. The internet has exposed Phuket's darker side.

Phuket has had it's day. It has been ruined, some would say beyond redemption, but I believe in balance. What the tsunami failed to achieve perhaps the lack luster tawdry over development will (although comparisons with Samui would suggest otherwise). I do look forward to when I can anticipate a Day At The Beach (haven't visited for two years and counting), without all the various naffness in the shape of loud fat farang swamping my local sandbank in budgie smugglers/g strings and a return to decent Thai food at acceptableprices. Until then, I'll keep staying away.

BTW, Corruption plays absolutely no part as a deterrent in tourism. Value for money (including decent affordable local/mass transit), does. Unfortunately. Most are unaffected by actual corruption, despite what all the tedious 'jetski scam' (yawn) vids say. They're only on a two week turnaround anyway. What do they care?

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

If I had the money, I would be building condos at NaiYang, especially for the Russian community. I see that country being the mainstay of tourism in Phuket in the future.

Simon

I wouldn't be so sure about that Simon.

Due to Russia's move on Crimea, I think we may be seeing the start of a new Cold War, this one fought through economics and currencies.

The West will tighten the screws on the Russian banking system and you will see western investors and companies pull out of Russia. This will effectively isolate Russia's economy from the rest of the world.

The Russian Ruble will drop sharply, and that's going to effect Russian tourists numbers, globally, but Thailand will feel that pain the most, particularly Phuket.

You will still have your rich Russians buying some property here, but they will be your corrupt and criminal Russian individuals, most likely here for laundering money. They are the minority, not the majority, and even they may struggle for funds as the Russian Ruble becomes a worthless currency on exchange.

Do tell more about the new Central Festival next to Boat Avenue in CherngTalay. Bill Barnett is being rather tight lipped on the matter.

The land next to Zcape and Boat Avenue is planned to be developed as the second Central Festival in Phuket.

On another note the Canal Village in Laguna which is now slightly dated is planned to be rejuvenated into a new riverside restaurant area with Bistros and Bars apparently.

Wonderful Simon! What happened to your'venture' in Burma BTW/

Do you mean my teaching or hotel projects?

I taught for a couple of years in Yangon, but that was recently curtailed due to the passing of my mother - I am building in Phuket and hope to return to Myanmar to teach again in a few years.

As for building projects in Myanmar, I will wait until the Law concerning land ownership/leasing etc is more clearly defined. That's sensible I think.

Seriously, who takes this guy, seriously

If you check out my comments on the Nong Khai thread, then maybe you should take me seriously :) Despite 'interference' from various Thai wives, I've managed to build/manage/sell 5 small hotel businesses, with the 6th to open in about 2 months and the 7th to be open by the end of this year.

• Like 1

I taught for a couple of years in Yangon, but that was recently curtailed due to the passing of my mother - I am building in Phuket and hope to return to Myanmar to teach again in a few years.

As for building projects in Myanmar, I will wait until the Law concerning land ownership/leasing etc is more clearly defined. That's sensible I think.

If you check out my comments on the Nong Khai thread, then maybe you should take me seriously smile.png Despite 'interference' from various Thai wives, I've managed to build/manage/sell 5 small hotel businesses, with the 6th to open in about 2 months and the 7th to be open by the end of this year.

The last I heard Myanmar was offering 50 year leases, as opposed to Thailand's 30 year leases. Has that changed?

Nai Yang is kiteboarding heaven, quickly becoming a worldwide sport much like the windsurfing phenomena of the 80's.

There are already a few schools, and I believe a small kiteboarding hotel, but really a largescale hotel catering to worldwide kiteboarders would be the way to go. Nai Yang Kiteboarding Resort. It would even thrive during low season when kiting here is at it's best.

Kiteboarders like to party sure, but more surfer beach partying than sleazy Bangla road, so Nai Yang as a kiteboarders village, thats what I see as opposed to another Patong.

If you check out my comments on the Nong Khai thread, then maybe you should take me seriously smile.png Despite 'interference' from various Thai wives, I've managed to build/manage/sell 5 small hotel businesses, with the 6th to open in about 2 months and the 7th to be open by the end of this year.

You should have money to invest then condo's in Nai yang beach for russians, i do not think so

Lots of russians investing and living in the southern areas of Phuket already

If there ever is another resort town like Patong, Nai Yang beach is about as likely to be it as Khao Lak

Actually Khao Lak is more likely to be it although they do not want adult entertainment venues there

Very little development at Nai Yang, its not changed much in recent years

Kata, karon, Nai Harn, Rawai and Chalong is where all the develoment is going on

Kata, Karon is the most likely place for another bangla rd thats if the locals will allow it

Foreign franchises are already setting up businesses there

There are plenty of bars and bar girls in all areas in the south of the island, don't need ping pong shows

The last I heard Myanmar was offering 50 year leases, as opposed to Thailand's 30 year leases. Has that changed?

Probably not. But just cos the Myanmar guy says 'I can give you a 50 year lease', doesn't make it secure. I don't have money to burn anymore (thanks to the ex's), and I want to see at least 5 years of proven legislation in the area of land leases to foreigners before I would part with my 20 baht.

In any case, I read on the Myanmar forum that foreigners will only allowed to be minority business partners in the tourism sector. That means that I would probably have to marry again, this time to a Myanmar woman, and I prefer to slit my own wrists before walking up the aisle again.....

Back to Nai Yang area, I have been asked by many in the area to open a language school for teaching English. I'd love to do this, but (as usual), Thai legislation rears it's ugly head and makes it rather difficult for me to open a 'school'. (Subject of a topic in the Education forum).

Edited by simon43