Advice / help regarding Wife moving to the uk.

Rather than making assumptions; it is better to check the relevant regulations.

Premium bonds, like any investment, come under Annex FM Section FM 1.7: Financial Requirement; Section 7, cash savings.

You will see from para 7.4.3 that to be counted the savings must, among other requirements, be held in a bank or building society current or savings account.

This is not negotiable; the ECO has no flexibility on this point.

However, paras 7.4.8 and 7.4.9 say that cash previously held in, among other investments, bonds which have been liquidated and the cash placed into an appropriate account during the pervious 6 months can be used but

Evidence must be provided showing that:
 The investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds were in the ownership and under the control of the applicant, their partner or both jointly for that part of the 6 month period prior to the date of application before they were liquidated into cash savings;
 The value of the investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds at or before the beginning of that 6 month period was at least equivalent to the amount of the cash savings relied upon in the application; and
 The cash savings meet the requirements of Appendix FM-SE.
If this evidence is not provided, the cash savings previously held as investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds cannot be counted towards the financial requirement.

So, Pagan 1, you can only use your premium bonds if you cash them in and provide the required evidence that all the other requirements in the annex are met.

Thanks for the feedback Gents

My reading of the requirements suggested that I will need to convert and transfer the PBs into my bank account. I guess the haste in which the requirements were drawn up led to some poor thinking. Just another hoop to jump through but fortunately one that can now be done online

• 5 weeks later...

Strictly speaking; no.

However, in the unlikely event of her being questioned by immigration on her arrival in the UK it will help if her application supporting documents are in her hand baggage and so easily accessible.

• Like 1

As long as her TB certificate is still valid when she applies for the visa, it does not matter if it expires before she actually enters the UK.

However, from what you have posted I am not sure if she has submitted her application yet.

If she hasn't, and doesn't do so before the certificate expires, then she will need to get a new one or her application will be automatically refused.