The politics of gay as an identity group crops up yet again ...

Jingthing

This is a recurring theme, and it's not going away anytime soon.

Many people, some of them are gay, reject the notion of gay as an IDENTITY group.

This article provides an example of an anti-gay POV doing so rather militantly.

Personally, I understand why the enemies of gay civil rights would be attracted to this POV, but I don't think I'll ever understand why gay people would endorse it. ermm.gif

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/02/25/gay_denialism_is_the_new_homophobia_catholic_argument_against_gay_rights.html?wpisrc=obnetwork

The article’s layers of illogic are so slick with casuistry that they’re almost too slippery to untangle—but a fitting starting point is the title itself. Hannon has cleverly called the piece “Against Heterosexuality,” and he claims to be arguing that “the idea of sexual orientation is artificial.” That, however, is a hugely deceptive framing of his actual thesis, which is that homosexuality doesn’t exist at all. According to Hannon, the notion of homosexuality as an identity—something you are, rather than something you do—is a “dishonest” and “artificial” construct. There are no gay people, he argues, only gay sex acts, and the mere recognition of a homosexual identity fosters “moral disarray.” It isn’t really heterosexuality, then, that Hannon is looking to debunk. It’s homosexuality—and more specifically, the claim that gay relationships deserve any form of legal recognition or societal legitimization.

This argument is cruelly clever. Mainstream, garden-variety homophobia was doomed to failure as soon as it accepted the existence of gay people. Once gays became widely seen as a class of humans with immutable identities, like women and blacks, most homophobia became politically and philosophically untenable. America was, after all, founded on principles of equality and liberty; how could the government deny basic rights to a group of people just because they were born a little different?

Edited by Jingthing

Life's too short...go out and get laid or stoned!

Can't argue with that but still the twisted arguments our enemies use to deny us basic civil rights is a thing to behold.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app